PDA

View Full Version : Positive Feedback for DCA

Ralph Wiggum
05-04-2001, 09:39 AM
Who here, if you have been to DCA, actually enjoyed it. Please do not respond with messages that are mostly negative.

Alex S.
05-04-2001, 09:54 AM
I've been there several times and do enjoy it.

Superstar Limo is the only attraction I actively dislike (and have avoided Steps in Time because I'm pretty sure I'll not like that, though I did see the original).

Screamin', Soarin', Bug's Life', GRR' are all fun to very good. The food is good when it open (I really want to try Farmer's Market as it lists some impressive vegetarian options). Overall, I think the theming is pretty good - though not immersive.

Now the one negative: I don't think I would have much fun there if the park is crowded and I actually have to wait much for rides.

Tink
05-04-2001, 10:04 AM
http://cwm.ragesofsanity.com/kao/otn/pconfetti.gif
We visited DCA the first week of April and I enjoyed it! I am not a fan of crowds and DL the day before was uncomfortably crowded for me. I love the freshness of a new park with new rides (sans the carnival rides of course). My most favorite part of DCA is the Disney Animation building. I love being in the wide open screening room with a dozen or so screens playing parts of different movies and their soundtracks. My daughter and I loved the voiceover room in the Sorcerer's Workshop too and did every voiceover available - what a blast!
As I said in other posts, the availability of characters for interaction was great also. Just to be able to walk through the park without running my son's stroller into someone or having the same done to me is fabulous in my book. That one day we were able to visit every attraction at least once with the exception of Mulholland Madness which was down. Yes, we even rode the Golden Zephyr. All in all I will go back but I am definitely hoping for reduced prices and/or discounts such as So Cal residents. Here in San Diego almost every radio station that you listen to is giving away passes to the park so I hope to score some of those for our next visit.
See you at the park!!

merlinjones
05-04-2001, 10:23 AM
My positive experiences of DCA:

1) The view of a lighted Paradise Pier at dusk was very attractive from across the bay.

2) The characters on the Animation store sign and on the front of the animation building were drawn on-model for a change (those venues only!).

3) The lobby of the animation exhibit was cool. The Mushu show was cuter than expected.

4) Soarin', Screamin, Bugs Life, and Muppets were pleasant but unremarkable.

5) The grip-show dudes were good-looking.

...That's about it for the positive.

JeffG
05-04-2001, 11:10 AM
I have thoroughly enjoyed my visits to California Adventure and am overall quite pleased with the park. I find the majority of the attractions very enjoyable and I am extremely pleased with the overall look and theming of the park.

It isn't perfect (what is?), but most of what is there is very good and the basic foundation is there for it to expand into something even better.

-Jeff

Gandalf
05-04-2001, 02:42 PM
DCA has some nice attractions that we enjoy when we go. Soaring is really good we've tried every row, the front one is the best sitting on very far right (where the hanglider scares anyone on the outside seat). We liked the Tough To Be a Bug attraction especially when the hornets? "sting" you. When we went to DCA with our nieces we didn't tell them about it (yes I guess we're evil)and they let out a yell and then jumped up when the "bugs" ran under them. 3D Muppets were ok but the tongue-in-cheek posters when you exit are the best. Paradise Pier is nice at night - we had our nieces believing that you might have to actually go under the water to ride the Ferris Wheel. We did tend to have a better time over in Backlot. We probably won't go in Golden Dreams again - too harsh for our tastes, although the Whoopi special effect was interesting. The roving entertainment DCA has is pretty good, the kids stomping on the big drums were ok. Those big drums would be better though if they did the Japanese version where they pound on them rhymically. A few years back we went to some stage show where we came out a little deafer but thoroughly enjoyed it. We took the kids to DCA during the week to avoid the crowds? and ended up having to eat in Downtown Disney because DCA closed up the good eating places. The DCA parade was pretty good. Maybe they could bring the Lion King Parade back to one of the Parks. My wife has almost worn out the CD from the musical version. DCA's not bad but they really need to advertise it differently. They keep showing the commercial with Disney Park characters in mass and I think that's why there are so many disappointed faces when people do make it inside. If DCA is geared for the older kids and adults they need to come up with a better advertising campaign.

jslivinski
07-12-2001, 09:55 AM
We went to DCA during the preview and although I don't recommend it for families with small children (under 5), overall we had a good time.

Our daytime experience was underwhelming. Too many sit down attractions for a 2 year old, but going back at night with my 6 year old son was magical. The lights were beautiful and we had most of the park to ourselves.

I think my favorite rides where the Golden Zepher and Mulholland Madness. I didn't do the rollercoaster or Grizzly Peak, although my son loved Grizzly Peak). Mama, the big wimp, had to be removed from the ferris wheel after one turn (on the outside). The wonderful CM noticed me holding on to my daughter for dear life and actually rolled the ride back so I could get off. Of course, she was nice enough to ask if my daughter needed to get off, and ignore that I was the one with the white fingers.

I don't plan on returning to DCA anytime in the future due to the cost and the 2 year old, but if it was just me and my son and the price was right, we'd be there.

Castmbrdlx
07-12-2001, 10:05 AM
I truly enjoyed DCA for the 1st time last Saturday. I took my parents to see the EP and we loved it. We actually spent 3 hrs in the Hollywood Area!! I think it’s better if you’re with somebody who has never been there. The only negative was the massive crowds:D :cool: :cool:

TheMur
07-12-2001, 12:27 PM
My family went to DCA in April with another family. Overall we had a great time and that was primarilly driven by the kids. Between the two families we had a 9, 10 and 12 year old. They loved it!

My wife and I thought the park looked great!. We had a lot of fun in the Backlot (got to see the next to last show of Lights, Camera Action - sorry to see it go) and we especially enjoyed the animation exhibit. We had been to WDW and thought that it would be pretty much a repeat of the animation attraction at MGM - I'm glad we went. Could have spent a lot of time just watching the kids to the voiceover attraction.

Didn't care much for the carnival rides, particularly the Sun Wheel (long wait for short, unremarkable ride.) Loved Grizzly Peak and Soaring.

I wouldn't go back based on original pricing but price cuts make the park more attractive. I loved that it wasn't crazy busy. If the lines were exceptionally long it would probably be a bit frustrating.

The park is still more enjoyable than the two main parks in Northern California who spend no money on theming. I look forward to seeing the park grow and bad rides disappearing. I hope DCA has a golden age much like DL did in the 60's when big improvements came (NO Square, HM, Pirates etc.)

The Mur

JRob2k1
07-12-2001, 03:47 PM
I wasnt complaining when the park opened!! I loved having a brand new Disney park and basically have it all to myself. That place was deserted a lot!!;)

But I still like DCA in general. Its got some problems, but they can be fixed and I think everyone will eventually love DCA, hopefully.

-JRob

Doodle Duck
07-12-2001, 04:09 PM
Enjoyed both trips...one was during preview at discount and the 2nd was full pop.
Ist visit very crowded but managable due to fast pass.
2nd visit not crowded and much more fun.
But Lori and I would have fun at our own funerals, so I guess you can't judge by us.

Napsto
07-12-2001, 04:52 PM
dca is pretty cool.

soarin is tight.
grizzly river run is tight.
bugs life is tight, as of right now.
the coaster is tight.
maliboomer is tight.
i like the sun wheel.
i like MM.
and who doesn't like a corn dog?
besides kevin eubanks.

splbound
07-13-2001, 01:39 AM
Ralph, we've been to the park at least 3 or 4 times a week since opening (and before)....

It is beautifully put together, landscaped, themed, musically scored. There just isn't a heck of a lot to do there. That, I'm sure will come in time.

I also don't mind all the "carnival" type rides, because they can be removed easily, and replaced down the road with quality attractions.....I think too much emphysis has been put on them...Hey, if that's the only way you can finance a project this large, then it's better than nothing...they can always swap them out later on....Geez, how much does it cost to construct an "Indy" or a "Space Mountain"?

The view of the Paradise Pier at night from Avalon Cove is wonderful and relaxing.

And....FINALLY, the suits realized that there was no value in the admission and dropped the price....much more in-line with he park in it's present state.

My kids love the coaster, stinger, Soaring, griz, and I have won quite a few of the big cows and pigs (by the way, I think i'm not the only one....they are now much smaller all of a sudden)..

And the best thing about it is it's new. Don't get me wrong, I love DL. I know every nook and cranny. But it's nice to see somthng that's all shiny and fresh.

I'm kind of upset by all the bashing. It's not DL. (I may feel differently if I had to pay full price to get in, but coming from an AP it's great.)

Also, I love the Soap Opera Bistro, when, as you are dining the actors are going table to table acting out an ad-libbed soap with the guests......

One of these days Ralph, we'll have to get together for coffee in the park..........

Come to think of it, my kids also like the farm area's water stuff.

I just kinda sit back, eat my tor....sorry 1/2 tortilla, and watch 'em play.

Ralph Wiggum
07-13-2001, 02:54 PM
One of these days Ralph, we'll have to get together for coffee in the park..........

For sure!!