PDA

View Full Version : Just got back today from Disneyland!

Disneygirl65
08-25-2004, 06:15 PM
Myself, my mother and 13 year old daughter goes to Disneyland about 2 times per year. Once during the holidays and once usually in spring or summer. This trip we bought an annual passport, so maybe we will go 3 times this year, ( we are from the SF bay area). Usually we make the winter trip first class, stay on property and the other we try to make cheaper...hard at disney:). We usually stay at least 4 nights. So, on with the trip, we stayed at the Anaheim Coast, it was fine for what we paid, how can you complain when you are only paying 67.00 per night? Missed staying on site though and decided we probably won't anymore because since my mom has pins in her ankle from a bad break, she likes to go back to the hotel sometimes to rest and I won't let her by herself offsite. So then we all go back and it just takes longer with the shuttle. Anyway, Disney was great as usual, weird without the Castle but I was excited seeing the picture of how neat it will be. I guess the whole trip was sort of like that. It was like, WOW, this place is going to look amazing after it's all done. I just felt bad for the people that we met that was from out of the country that won't be back next year, if ever. But, this is something that must be done.
Had most meals at the park or Downtown Disney. Carnation Cafe was off for some reason and we cancelled our remaining ressies. Pasta at Pizza Port was great, ate there twice. Jazz Kitchen...great. Pilot place...great. The two meals we had off site was the best mexican food around Disney...a little place on Harbor that we always go to if you want real mexican food. That was great as usual. We went to Joe's Crab Shack for the first time and the last :( .....
Fireworks were the best. Crazy good. Loved them! Can you tell? We watched them four nights from four different locations and they were great. Matterhorn.... loved it !!!! Splash a few times....but it broke down a few times also.... not good. Once there was a reference about police??? from the loud speaker in the ride but never got what excatly happened.
The park was more crowded than I thought it would be on Monday and Tuesday but not so bad like between Christams and New Years.... I have learned my lesson with those dates. My daughter went for the first time to the Lincoln theater and really enjoyed it.
The last two days we wore a pin thing ( large) that says Passholder on it and then you clip your card to it and I swear and I am not sure it was imagination but I swear some CM's treated us a little different. No Hi's how are you's? How was your day? when we were leaving....it could have been my imagination but there was a couple of times that they actually seemed down right rude. I felt like saying "I spend money here I swear"....ha-ha. But I do, my wallet can testify loudly today! I met a couple of SoCal passholders while I was there and they were spending $$$ too!
Anyway, long and short of it, it was a great trip...I learned a few things, I will stay on property and thank the Lord I can, and I probably will not wear my new passport around my neck again!

Have a fantastic night all and I already miss Tink!

SCUBAbe
08-25-2004, 08:35 PM
a lot of CM's do not like AP holders. I never display mine. Once upon entering the CM was chatting it up with everyone. I gave her our Ap cards and she didn't even smile. She just handed them back and said, "have a good day", but got a huge smile and all chatty again with the people behind us.

it sounds like you had a great time...:)...any pics to share?

sdfilmcritic
08-25-2004, 11:05 PM
What's the name of the Mexican restaurant? Was it Mexicasa? And what was wrong with Joe's Crab Shack? I've never been to one in my life, but I've up until you I've heard nothing but positive things about the restaurant.

nursemelis374
08-26-2004, 07:15 AM
I think that Joe's Crab Shack is a great place for the ambiance, but the food is mediocre.

dlandnut
08-26-2004, 07:26 AM
If you're at Disneyland and want seafood, head south to The Crab Cooker in Newport Beach. To die for! Joe's Crab Shack is great, but you can visit one of those in any big city (or most). Crab Cooker is a "once in a trip to Disneyland" opportunity. :)

LOYL2DZNY
08-26-2004, 07:26 AM
What's the name of the Mexican restaurant? Was it Mexicasa?...

yeah, i'm curious about the mexican restaraunt, too. do you remember the name, and where exactly is it?

spectromen
08-26-2004, 07:33 AM
MexiCasa is on Lincoln, so I doubt that's where she was referring to.

Disneygirl65
08-26-2004, 08:38 AM
The mexican place is Sanchez something. It is on the right hand side of Harbor going towards Chapman from I-5. It is a very casual place but great food. I have the card in my luggage I think if i do I'll post the exact name and address.
I'm from the SF bay area (use to fresh crabs)and I thought the Joes Crab Shack would be more like the place in Newport you were referring to. Joe's is not. The place was fun yes, food not so much. The other problem was our waiter. He was trying to up the bill big time and I just hate that in a place. I was not that hungry and order a big salad with shrimp on it and he said oh no you'd want this or this, all the bigger ticket items. Same with my daughter and mom. They ordered drinks I ordered a water because I was thirsty and he was like, come on, how about some soda??? He made me feel cheap and I am not. Even if I was it is wrong when waiters do that.
Regarding showing my AP.... yeah, it was the same for us. It's too bad.

napabeth
08-26-2004, 08:38 AM
"a lot of CM's do not like AP holders"

Why? I don't understand - what's the difference?

sami869
08-26-2004, 08:50 AM
I'm glad you enjoyed your trip. I don't think it's right for cast members to treat passholders differently than normal guests. I feel that it's their job to be helpful and friendly, to everyone, regardless of how they personally feel about them. Although I've always felt like wearing your AP was sort of braging that you think you're better than everyone else because you could afford an AP. I'm not saying that you felt that way, it's just the impression I've gotten from those that I've seen in the past wearing theirs.

Disneygirl65
08-26-2004, 08:57 AM
I'm glad you enjoyed your trip. I don't think it's right for cast members to treat passholders differently than normal guests. I feel that it's their job to be helpful and friendly, to everyone, regardless of how they personally feel about them. Although I've always felt like wearing your AP was sort of braging that you think you're better than everyone else because you could afford an AP. I'm not saying that you felt that way, it's just the impression I've gotten from those that I've seen in the past wearing theirs.

The main reason I bought the thing that holds it around my neck is because I can put fast passes in it ( the plastic pouch that carries the ap card ) and I did not have to get them (AP's) out of my purse everytime I needed it. Those times would be to put it in a fast pass machine, going through the two parks, getting a food discount etc. Yes it does say Passholder on the pin though. Regarding $$$ ...it's not much more than a multi day hopper, so I did not feel that way.

stan4d_steph
08-26-2004, 08:57 AM

Why? I don't understand - what's the difference? There are many threads debating this very subject. I think it relates to people's perception of privilege and how others react to that.

AliciasMom
08-26-2004, 09:11 AM

Why? I don't understand - what's the difference?

I'm not sure about Disneyland but I can kinda answer based on my own experience working at a themepark.

I used to be a lifeguard at Pharoah's Lost Kingdom in the Inland Empire. That place is a dumpster, but I won't get into that. We had two groups of season pass holders: the nice ones and the ones who expected to be treated like royalty because "they were season passholders." The second group would give us the most grief. And all of their complaints would start with "I have a season pass." Us lifeguards would just think "And we should care because?" We were trained to take all complaints seriously, no matter what type of ticket/pass they had.

I have never been a CM at DL (even though I used to want to when I was younger) I can imagine they might have gone through the same situation as we did at our little dumpster of a park. It does leave a bad taste in your mouth. I'm not condoning that CMs treat APers differently but I can see where they are coming from.

LOYL2DZNY
08-26-2004, 09:59 AM
The mexican place is Sanchez something. It is on the right hand side of Harbor going towards Chapman from I-5. It is a very casual place but great food. I have the card in my luggage I think if i do I'll post the exact name and address.
I'm from the SF bay area (use to fresh crabs)and I thought the Joes Crab Shack would be more like the place in Newport you were referring to. Joe's is not. The place was fun yes, food not so much. The other problem was our waiter. He was trying to up the bill big time and I just hate that in a place. I was not that hungry and order a big salad with shrimp on it and he said oh no you'd want this or this, all the bigger ticket items. Same with my daughter and mom. They ordered drinks I ordered a water because I was thirsty and he was like, come on, how about some soda??? He made me feel cheap and I am not. Even if I was it is wrong when waiters do that.
Regarding showing my AP.... yeah, it was the same for us. It's too bad.

thanks! we're hoping to go in october, so that will be something to try out. i, too, am from the SF bay area. i've been thinking about getting an AP, also, but sometimes our trips are spread out longer than a year, and sometimes not, so i wouldn't know if we'd be wasting $$$ by getting it and then not being able to use it. i'm debating!!! anyhoo! thanks for the restaraunt info!!!

TP2000
08-26-2004, 12:16 PM
If you're at Disneyland and want seafood, head south to The Crab Cooker in Newport Beach. To die for! Joe's Crab Shack is great, but you can visit one of those in any big city (or most). Crab Cooker is a "once in a trip to Disneyland" opportunity. :)

There is a Crab Cooker in Orange, much closer to Disneyland than the Newport Beach location. It's just east of the 55 Costa Mesa Freeway, at the 17th Street offramp. You can't miss it, and it's just as good as the Newport Beach location with a slightly larger dining room and easier parking.

Joe's Crab Shack is a fun touristy place to go on vacation, but don't expect decent seafood. Joe's Crab Shack could be in Minneapolis or Cincinatti and it would still offer the same type of seafood; Frozen and FedEx'ed.

The Crab Cooker is the real deal, and an Orange County institution that caters mostly to locals.

Pedro2NR
08-26-2004, 12:27 PM
I hope you find the card for the Mexican food place. I would love to check it ou.