PDA

View Full Version : Love for Mr. Lincoln

Pages : [1] 2

LAsptsfan3
08-23-2004, 06:43 PM
Maybe im odd, but im wondering if theres anybody else out there that is completely in love with Walt Disney Story/Mr. Lincoln? I dont know if its becasue its patriotic, because its air-conditioned or what, but I make a point of going to Lincoln everytime i go to DL. Even more amazing to me is I think that it relaxes me! I swear i feel better after wandering the lobby, hearing the speech about Walts office, and then hearing the Gettysburg Address.

Please tell me im not the only one! :D

Susan L
08-23-2004, 06:49 PM
Your not alone, it is a relaxing place to be. And what's not to like about President Lincoln, he was a great president.

pboeoahr
08-23-2004, 07:08 PM
Agreed!!! This is a great attraction about two great men.

Can't be beat for relaxing and learning about history.

stitchlvr
08-23-2004, 08:21 PM
We think it's great! My 7 year old daughter loves it too! I hadn't gone to it in years (before the program was changed) and went last year. I loved the changes and all the neat special effects.

Disneyfreak
08-23-2004, 08:58 PM
What I dont understand is that they are taking this attraction out during the 50th anniversary. This was one of Walt Disney's rides. I dont think Eisner has any right to say that because of money issues they cant use the innoventions building for the Walt Disney exhibit. In my opinion I think Lincoln has every right to be included in the 50th anniversary celebration.

lisap
08-23-2004, 09:10 PM
I'm another one of the few, the proud, the earphoned, who dig GMw/Mr. Lincoln, and so are my kidlets.

I like the new story line, I like the Gettysburg address (seeing it a billion times helped my daughter learn it for 4th grade last year), I like the Yooou muuuust Liiiivee line--it's all good. It's a must-do for us when we visit. :)

cstephens
08-23-2004, 10:04 PM
I liked the original version of Mr. Lincoln. This version, not so much. Funny, but I don't like having my leg lopped off, and I don't find this version affecting at all. I loved the still paintings of Lincoln agonizing over the War Between the States. I do visit every so often, but I never use the headphones. When I listen to a speech, I never use headphones, so why should I be using headphones to listen to Mr. Lincoln's speech?

PapiBear
08-23-2004, 10:07 PM
I, too, loved the original version, along with the Walt Disney Story, and although I understand the desire for updated audio to a certain degree, I thought it was just fine as it was and didn't need any changes.

I think closing it during the 50th would be an absolute travesty, but absolute travesties are simply par for the course these days.

beanpole
08-23-2004, 10:36 PM
I've always loved the Lincoln show, though I have mixed feelings about the latest incarnation. Nevertheless, I never miss a show when I visit DL.

BTW: for those who are fascinated by AA technology, try watching Lincoln's performance with the headphones off. You can hear the whine of the motors and gears that move the robotic figure around.

Disneyfreak
08-23-2004, 11:18 PM
I dont see why you guys are so against the headphones. I love the new show. The old one was out of date anyway.

Tutter
08-24-2004, 04:56 AM
I don't know the original but this is certainly a great attraction. I thought it was quite a thrill with all the sounds etc and of course it captures an important period in history. I have to confess I knew nothing about Lincoln other than he was assassinated prior to going to this attraction, but it inspired so many questions in me that when I got back to Scotland I did quite a bit of research into him and exactly what the Gettysburg address was about and why it was so important.

So it really was educational for me, as well as being really entertaining.

stan4d_steph
08-24-2004, 05:32 AM
The super-surround sound creeps me out.

sdfilmcritic
08-24-2004, 06:04 AM
I would like to know why people find the haircut scene so hilariously funny.

merlinjones
08-24-2004, 06:33 AM
Walt Disney's original show (not seen at Disneyland since the early 80's) was a dramatic, moving and thoughtful presentation, with a very clear message of unification and determination in the face of adversity, one that resonated in our own times. The underplayed acting and brilliantly realized musical score contributed to a moving and patriotic theatrical experience.

The politically corrected, overanimated muddle of a message that replaced it was never satisfactory, and the current gimmicky, what-the-heck-does-this-have-to-do-with-Lincoln's-message version only further deteriorates the concept, save a return of the Battle Hymn, which is a plus.

I wish Walt's original intent to allow Lincoln's words to inspire were honored. Or why keep it open?

cstephens
08-24-2004, 07:06 AM
I dont see why you guys are so against the headphones.

Because part of the point of the technology, I thought, was that there was this animatronic that moved and talked at you, like a real person. That kind of gets shoved under the mat when you're hearing the speech over headphones. And I like the illusion that you're actually listening to Lincoln and can imagine yourself sitting in the audience at one of his speeches. That illusion gets shot to smithereens with the headphones on. Headphones are a very distancing thing to me, so with everyone in their own little world, it completely takes away the group experience.

On the practical side, I for one don't enjoy having scissors snipping that close to my ears (especially since you really can't control the volume), and a friend practically ripped her headphones off when the fly buzzed around.

spectromen
08-24-2004, 07:53 AM
While I enjoyed the previous verson substantially more than the current one, I'd almost be content with the current if it still included Golden Dream. That song just sort-of tied it all together for me. Oh well, at least there's still American Adventure in Epcot.

hefferdude
08-24-2004, 11:46 AM
I think closing it during the 50th would be an absolute travesty, but absolute travesties are simply par for the course these days.

What complete loon decided this and WHY is GMWML being closed for the 50th? :mad:

08-24-2004, 12:16 PM
Avon Books invites you to experience 3894's

Love for Mr. Lincoln

He was rugged, lean ... and the sweetest president a gal could want! Now he's back by popular demand - ready to sweep you off to his very private address in Gettysburg!

Sorry. Reflex action. It was the thread title what done it. Carry on.

lisap
08-24-2004, 12:22 PM
Helen, you were even more circumspect than what flashed though my mind. :|

Like I said, reading everyone's response--I'm way in the minority of folks who like this attraction. So be it. Rock on, Mr. Lincoln--at least Stitch is not overlaid as one your your new cabinet advisors.

disneyperson
08-24-2004, 12:31 PM
I dont see why you guys are so against the headphones. I love the new show. The old one was out of date anyway.
because they're uncomfortable, the hair snipping, creeps me out, and if iIwant to hear mosquitos buzz in my ear, I'll go in my own backyard. I don't know if the head phones are cleaned after every show, but if they're not, then there's the whole "ick" factor too. When I watch Mr.Lincoln , I just hold the phones near my ear. I'm not against the headphones, I just make the personal choice not to wear them.

LAsptsfan3
08-24-2004, 08:20 PM
What I dont understand is that they are taking this attraction out during the 50th anniversary. This was one of Walt Disney's rides.

At least it will be featured with many people passing through it. Afterwards, they better restore it :rolleyes: and not put in a new updated version with some kinda of finding nemo tie-in. :eek:

splashmtngurl
08-24-2004, 08:22 PM
i thought it was interesting but it didnt really touch me persay...perhaps thats because my headphones were cutting in and out so i didnt hear everything that went on....

blusilva
08-24-2004, 08:59 PM
What complete loon decided this and WHY is GMWML being closed for the 50th? :mad:

So they can get rid of it afterward with no fuss, no muss, no angry mobs.
Sort of like they did with Walt's formal office. "Oh, it's coming RIGHT back after the Walt Disney's birthday year celebrations are over....."

Yes. I already know I'm a cynic. But, hey, if they do bring it back afterwards, I'll be that much happier.

Disneyfreak
08-24-2004, 10:12 PM
I would like to know why people find the haircut scene so hilariously funny.

They are not laughing because it is a joke, they are laughing at the fact that the ride feels like it is tickling you with the sound.

Disneyfreak
08-24-2004, 10:15 PM

Eisner. Originally they were going to take over the bottom floor of innoventions for this but Eisner said it would be too expensive.