PDA

View Full Version : Will the Settler's Cabin ever burn again?

odnamraortsac
08-23-2004, 03:48 PM
I don't know the answer to this question but the spiel still exists on the Mark Twain. I was videotaping on Sunday when the following was mistakenly played:

Crew Member: Attention Captain, Settler's Cabin afire off starboard bow!

Captain: Yeah I see it. Poor souls, I'm afraid we're too late to help.

Mark Twain: Captain, pardon my opinion but it looks as if that fire was caused by just plain carelessness. Those folks . . . (Narration cuts out and we return to the banjo music).

Disney Vault
08-23-2004, 03:51 PM
Maybe matt will do something about it. It seems like something that would be so easy to fix and get back to normal.

JeffG
08-23-2004, 04:31 PM
Maybe matt will do something about it. It seems like something that would be so easy to fix and get back to normal.

Not really. It has generally been reported over the years that fixing the cabin would likely require a complete replacement of the gas line under the river. That would be a pretty large project, which would minimally require that the river be drained again.

I do think they should consider trying to see if they could work something out using faux fire.

-Jeff

LAsptsfan3
08-23-2004, 05:34 PM
It has generally been reported over the years that fixing the cabin would likely require a complete replacement of the gas line under the river.

I have a good source that tells me that the gas lines is the exact reason why the cabin has been put on the "back burners" (pardon the pun). The lines underneath are almost 50 years old and hard to maintain, and you dont want a fake fire to turn into a real one. I would imagine that when Tom Sawyers gets a major renovation, whenever that is, youll see a new cabin ablaze.

sediment
08-23-2004, 05:38 PM
Wow, something could have been done Spring 2003 when the river was drained.
Oh yeah, CM Matt was not in charge then.

Pirate Girl
08-23-2004, 05:51 PM
I do think they should consider trying to see if they could work something out using faux fire.

Something like the effect usec in POTC would probably work pretty well.

Disney Vault
08-23-2004, 06:49 PM
I have a good source that tells me that the gas lines is the exact reason why the cabin has been put on the "back burners" (pardon the pun). The lines underneath are almost 50 years old and hard to maintain, and you dont want a fake fire to turn into a real one. I would imagine that when Tom Sawyers gets a major renovation, whenever that is, youll see a new cabin ablaze.
Wouldnt it be great if CM Matt went through each area of the park one by one and made it all better than ever before. I would love to see something really great done with TSI because it seems like it is very unpopular the way it is in its current state.

SarahShep
08-23-2004, 07:18 PM
Something like the effect usec in POTC would probably work pretty well.

The effect in POTC is attained with lighting, which would be nearly impossible to see in the daylight. I don't remember the cabin burning thing and I'm not sure when it stopped ( I could have been too young!) but I'm assuming that it would need to burn in the daytime as well as the nighttime.

sambo
08-23-2004, 10:08 PM
Didn't they just replace gas lines on the island for Fantasmic recently? They could have done it then had they intend to ressurect it.

I don't think they will ever bring it back because of its history, and being all too politically correct. First the settler was killed by Indians, then carelessness when the still producing demon alcohol blows up, and the last incarnation had the fire threatening a nest of birds...

It won't be back. It'd be just too culturally, politically, and environmentally insensitive.

...sheesh :rolleyes:

PapiBear
08-23-2004, 10:24 PM
Didn't they just replace gas lines on the island for Fantasmic recently? They could have done it then had they intend to ressurect it.

I don't think they will ever bring it back because of its history, and being all too politically correct. First the settler was killed by Indians, then carelessness when the still producing demon alcohol blows up, and the last incarnation had the fire threatening a nest of birds...

It won't be back. It'd be just too culturally, politically, and environmentally insensitive.

...sheesh :rolleyes:

Well, then why don't they just go all out with the political correctness, and totally close down all of Frontierland as an improper show of respect to the murderers, thieves and rapists who stole native lands and began a systematic oppression and genocide of peoples of color in order to advance their domineering, imperialistic theory of Manifest Destiny? :rolleyes: I'm part American Indian myself, and pretending that American history wasn't violent is LYING TO CHILDREN and to adults. Hey, let's face it - American settlers were killed in Indian raids. It didn't happen all the time, but it happened, so we should just be honest about it. That doesn't mean Disney has to show graphic violence, but a dead body on the ground in front of a burning log cabin with a few arrows sticking out of it was a realistic sight in the Old West. What's next? Removing all the "animal bones" from Big Thunder?

But then, trying to expect a reactionary, scared-of-their-own-shadows-if-it-threatened-a-loss-of-revenue-growth-for-the-shareholders Eisner and company to break out of their short-term follow-the-trends mentality and think outside the box is just asking for too much.

I don't know which event I await with more baited breath - Fidel Castro's death and the immediate resumption of trade with and investment in Cuba, or Michael Eisner's resignation from the Walt Disney Company. They're both about the same.

TikiGeek
08-24-2004, 10:35 AM
^Bravo!(hands clapping for PapiBear)

Actually, the next incarnation of the cabin story will blame president Bush for the fire and destruction. Apparently, a J-DAM hit the cabin when the "ugly American's" came looking for WMD's on TSI...or so the story go's as told by revisionist historians ;)

Pirate Girl
08-25-2004, 08:54 PM
The effect in POTC is attained with lighting, which would be nearly impossible to see in the daylight. I don't remember the cabin burning thing and I'm not sure when it stopped ( I could have been too young!) but I'm assuming that it would need to burn in the daytime as well as the nighttime.

No I meant that somthing similar could be used. For instance, use colored fabic rather that lighted fabric.

sambo
08-25-2004, 10:55 PM
Well, then why don't they just go all out with the political correctness, and totally close down all of Frontierland as an improper show of respect to the murderers, thieves and rapists who stole native lands and began a systematic oppression and genocide of peoples of color in order to advance their domineering, imperialistic theory of Manifest Destiny? ...

:eek: Don't give them any more ideas!

LOL - PapiBear!

sambo
08-25-2004, 10:58 PM
^Bravo!(hands clapping for PapiBear)

Actually, the next incarnation of the cabin story will blame president Bush for the fire and destruction. Apparently, a J-DAM hit the cabin when the "ugly American's" came looking for WMD's on TSI...or so the story go's as told by revisionist historians ;)

I thought it would be because we elected Kerry and made the Island safe for terrorists...

Aims
08-26-2004, 05:41 AM
Not only was there a fire, but remember when there was also a dead settler lying out front of the cabin- with arrows in him I think? This was a long time back. I swear I can remember seeing that as a kid- can anyone else confirm that? Then, somewhere along the line, they took him out and just left the fire. Maybe too many kids were getting scared by the sight of the dead guy. I seem to remember being disturbed by it myself. Although, I think I just aged myself with this post :D

I hope someone else remembers this, or I'll sound like I'm crazy...