PDA

View Full Version : Walkways during Fantasmic!

fantasmic351/2
08-23-2004, 01:11 PM
I was wondering what guest think of the way disney exits and enters Fantasmic! thats with only having Adventureland as an exit and Frontierland to enter. Please let me know. I see guest getting really upset and I want to know why?

SCUBAbe
08-23-2004, 01:41 PM
I avoid DL during fantasmic. I cannot handle the crowds that show produces, but I can see how a one way in and out would be frustrating. Just walking by that area a few hours before is an exercise in fristration.

Tinker Bell
08-23-2004, 02:06 PM
I was there in May 04 My fam went on BTMR I went to find a place to seat to see the fireworks.They were not able to get to were I was because of the eternal loop caused by the the fantasmic. Even when it was over. I had to stand 10 feet from my Family. Because we could not get to each other.Till all was gone.When I went to the FB in June. I was late getting in cause I had to walk all the way around to HM before being able to walk back to get there.

sami869
08-23-2004, 02:53 PM
I've only seen Fanasmic once because of the crowd control mess and will never see it again. It's a great show but it's not worth it. This is how it is almost every time:

During our last trip we were trying to get past Fantasmic in a dismal atempt to get over to Splasha Mt We were in the crowd trying to enter the area and it completely stoped, for over 5 minutes. Since the crowd in front of us wasn't moving at all we tried to go back and were yelled at that we were not allowed to go that way. At that point I was very frustrated so I just climed over some benches and was yelled at for that bu tI didn't care because I was finially free.

I realize that the CMs are stressed and there isn't much they can do but being yelled at and trapepd in large crowds isn't very magical. I really wish there was a larger area that Fantasmic could play at because there relaly isn't much that can be doen to prevent the mess that that area becomes during the show.

sediment
08-23-2004, 03:26 PM
Alternative:
1. Go to far end of Fantasmic! viewing, between HM and Rivers of America.
2. At the end of the show, go on Splash and/or HM. If desperate, try Pooh.

You miss the fireworks if you do this during the first show. Second show would be better, if you don't want to miss the fireworks.

Also, try getting on the train. I don't know if this works, since I can't possibly be the first person to try this. (Might not run for a while before and during fireworks, though.)

sdfilmcritic
08-23-2004, 04:33 PM
I was wondering what guest think of the way disney exits and enters Fantasmic! thats with only having Adventureland as an exit and Frontierland to enter. Please let me know. I see guest getting really upset and I want to know why?
I haven't had any trouble with the whole one way only idea yet. I think it's because the first time I stumble upon it I had figured out what was going on and I worked with it and got the most out of the situation instead of trying to fight against traffic. However I do wish there was an opportunity for more ushers to be present to help out the guest assistance so that the guests will better understand what's going on. It seems the ushers are understaffed for this type of situation and that what may lead to problem situations like crowd control with a CM yelling to a guest not to hop over benches. At one time before the start of the second showing a CM was trying his best to get a large section of people on the waterfront to collapse the baby strollers in the area, but no one was listening to him. It would have reduced the amount of time if a general announcement was made over the speakers and several signs are posted designated certain areas as a sit down/collapsed stroller area only. I did see the one illuminated sign in front of the Golden Horeshoe Revue building that points out the entrance to a cleared path for those guests who want to get to HM and SM without having to climb over people or push their way through the crowds to get there.

SweetAurora
08-23-2004, 10:58 PM
:~D Man, I could go on and on about this.

I have been out there on Fantasmic GC many, many nights. Good thing I have a theatre voice, because the mass crowds of people exiting in and out is difficult to handle, especially when they shortchange us cast members at "Entrances" (Adventureland/Frontierland walkways). The only way to keep order in my area is to spiel continuously. Usually, that works, and traffic flows smoothly.

If you are a guest or whatnot, please heed my/our advice and direction. If we were not guiding one-way traffic and setting up specific walkways, it would be one giant chaotic MESS. Yes, it sucks if you're stuck for 5 minutes with a mass of people in front of you. But guess what? It's a heck of a lot worse with NO walkways and people pushing and shoving in every single direction. Believe me--I've seen it happen when guests hop over benches/go under ropes/scream at CMS and push them aside, etc. When this happens, many other guests will follow suit. It is extremely hard to get things back to order after we "lose our walkways", and people are even more upset than before.

It's for your SAFETY, first and foremost. That's the first of the four Disney keys.

Please have more patience (key word there!) if you're one of those who simply has to jump over benches/climb ropes and fences after specific instructions NOT TO. Those things are there for a reason. After all, recurring park visitors should know how many people we get at Fantasmic! each night, and it's best to just avoid the area until about 10pm.

Vegitabeta
08-24-2004, 03:36 AM
The gap between Fantasmic and the fireworks is way too small. There's too many people to handle if you want to watch Fantasmic and then head straight out, it's impossible! They should really sort it out :(

Little tod
08-24-2004, 09:33 AM
I wouldn't mind it so much if the cast members weren't waving those half-broken lightsaber toys at you. That gets real annoying, real fast. Grr.

SweetAurora
08-24-2004, 11:49 AM
What would you like us to wave?
Btw, we got new ones this past week. Bahaha.

Pedro2NR
08-24-2004, 12:52 PM
It is crazy going through Fantasmic, but the CM help out alot. If it wasn't for them, guests would just watch the show standing in the walkways.

disneyperson
08-24-2004, 03:57 PM
In summer 2003, we had a lot of trouble with the traffic before and during fantasmic, we even got caught in one very frightening almost stampede like crowd. This past July, we had no trouble getting around at all. Sure there were just as many people, but there seemed to be more sense to the "lanes" that were set up,more teamwork among the CMs, and we were always able to get where we wanted to go. The CMs were very paitent and helpful,(and I look for those little yellow flashlights so I know where to go) The only time we had to stop was a few times during the show when the people in front of us just had to stop and look, never minding that they were in a walking lane and people were bunching up behind them.I think the Fantasmic CMs are terrific while doing a pretty much thankless job. We usually spend the first show going on tours of the HM(there's a HM cm who mimes and sings along with the whole Fantasmic show when she's on front door duty,a hoot to watch) or shopping ,or even as was said earlier, Pooh,and then watch the 2nd show to get a good seat with virtually no wait time.

Little tod
08-24-2004, 04:23 PM
What would you like us to wave?
Btw, we got new ones this past week. Bahaha.

It wasn't the thing being waved that was the problem, it was the aforementioned thing's close proximity to my face.

--Lt

MrsG
08-24-2004, 04:45 PM
I've only seen Fanasmic once because of the crowd control mess and will never see it again. It's a great show but it's not worth it.

Well said. Fantasmic is so not worth the frustration of the crowds. Perhaps they should move it over to DCA where there is much more space and more people could see the show. I'd love to see NOS evenings go back to the way it was before Fantasmic - beautiful.

soccerlady16
08-24-2004, 05:46 PM
The CMS do a great job!Sure you have to take the long way sometimes but its better than having people pushing and shoving. If it gets annoying just avoid that side of the park during those hours. Or get over to Splash before the crowds start and ride the attractions in order. Its easier to make your way around through N.O.S anyway.

sdfilmcritic
08-25-2004, 01:37 AM
We usually spend the first show going on tours of the HM(there's a HM cm who mimes and sings along with the whole Fantasmic show when she's on front door duty,a hoot to watch) or shopping ,or even as was said earlier, Pooh,and then watch the 2nd show to get a good seat with virtually no wait time.
Does DL charge $40 a person for V.I.P. seating for this "miming" event? It sounds like something I would have done if I was a CM there. Even as a guest watching the show I tend to mime out, sing along, and act along with the music during the show.

Tutter
08-25-2004, 03:35 AM
I think it is a case of simply realising that you wont be going in the direction you want necessarily and simply going with the flow. As pointed out above, as frustrating as it might seem, it is infinately better than allowing smaller people being pulled in different directions and becoming lost or even worse.

Look at it as a time to chat to who you are with, or listen to the chatter of the people around, and actually you can even enjoy (in a sadistic way) the growing frustration of people and their attempts to go the wrong way only to find themselves stuck and having to conform. At worst it adds 10 to 15 mintues onto your day going in a direction you didn't plan to - but if we try not to make it a big deal, it won't be.

SweetAurora
08-25-2004, 08:24 AM
Thank you to those who have thanked the Fantasmic CM's :)
There's no way Fantasmic will be moved to DCA, unfortunately for some. I DO miss the Mark Twain running in the evenings, but Fantasmic! would lose its magic at DCA. And is there really that much more ROOM in DCA? I try not to set foot over there, so I can't tell for sure.

Little Tod, we apologize for the accidental occurence of waving a lightsaber in your face, but when thousands of people are pushing and shoving to get through our walkways, one can become quite crowded and squished. Our arms aren't long enough :)

disneyperson
08-25-2004, 10:07 AM
Does DL charge $40 a person for V.I.P. seating for this "miming" event? It sounds like something I would have done if I was a CM there. Even as a guest watching the show I tend to mime out, sing along, and act along with the music during the show.
Nope, it's free. She really gets going when she's impersonating the Wicked Queen.... By the way, has anyone noticed how crummy some of the 40.00 dollar VIP seats actually are? I'd don't have the dough to spend on it, but if I did, I'd sure complain if they tried to plop me in some of those spots.

splashmtngurl
08-25-2004, 10:26 AM
when the show ends we generally do one of two things........ 1) wait for the crowd to disperse throughout the park and then make our way to a given destination 2) head over to critter country and hop on splash mtn....you see our family generally goes to the nine o-clock showing (since we've seen it so many times before) of fantasmic and then afterwards we go do something else. I suggest that guests DO NOT use adventureland as an exit from fantasmic because its probably the most congested area in all of DL and it can be rather difficult to get through the crowd of guests milling around indiana jones. Your best bet for getting anywhere (other then critter country) is taking the gate by BTMR into fantasy land....and i suggest not trying to get on BTMR after any showing of fantasmic...crowds beeline for the attraction right after the show concludes...

I would like to personally thank the CM's working with fantasmic. You do a wonderful job. ALL OF YOU need to realise that there is often times what, maybe 1500 guests or more watching fantasmic and that it's very hard to control a crowd of that size. Cm's di their very best at getting people seated in an orderly fashion, keeping walkways clear (For the most part) to the convienience of guest not watching the show and do a pretty good job of directing a steady stream of guests in the right direction (for some). So perhaps you have to wait an extra 5-15 minutes but WHO CARES!!!!!!!!!!! take some time to reflect on your day or make some last minute plans to finish off your day. Like someone mentioned above, "it isnt a big deal unless you make it into one". Guests maming a big deal out of the extra 5-15 really help to depleat the magic, hopping benches, fences, etc just isnt the way to solve your problem. Plus what is 15 minutes waiting in a crowd? some of you wait in line for IJ and SM for 45 minutes....