PDA

View Full Version : Favorite animatronic?

Pages : [1] 2

disneyperson
08-21-2004, 09:40 AM
Hello everyone, I've been a part of this discussion for about two weeks now.(It's the only discusion board I've ever joined) and I just want to thank you all for info.,ideas, support, and laughs. None of my nearest and dearest (except my daughter)understand my addiction to DL, and tend to shake their heads fondly at me. "What, you're going again? You were just there! What do you DO all day?" It's wonderful to discover so many people who speak my language. Any way, after all the lively discussion about the worst animatroincs, what are your favorites ? You know, the ones you look ahead to on the ride to get an earlier glimpse of, the ones you always think, "That's really cool", the ones that always make you smile? I'm always charmed by the story telling Indian on the rivers of America. He moves so gracefully and looks so natural when hunkers down and stands up again as he tells his tale. I also love Santa Jack at the entrance to the graveyard to HMH. I love it when he asks "fruitcake anyone?' what are some of your favorites?

SCUBAbe
08-21-2004, 09:43 AM
None of my nearest and dearest (except my daughter)understand my addiction to DL, and tend to shake their heads fondly at me. "What, you're going again? You were just there! What do you DO all day?"
OMG my friends do that to me also. I just smile back and say I like it there..:)

I don't think this is animatronic, but I love zero. he is my favorite...:) although lincoln is pretty cool.

DEADmenTELLnoTALES
08-21-2004, 09:52 AM
who here doesnt get that question asked?! everytime i tel my co-workers they just grunt at me, personally i think its jealousy, hehehe who wouldnt want to go all the time?! :geek:

DEADmenTELLnoTALES
08-21-2004, 10:25 AM
oh yeah! for animatronic? hmmmm it would have to be Red on POTC, hes the one whos trying to get the cats drunk. i dunno there is something lifelike about him, i think its cause he looks like a relative of mine!

mjformenotyou
08-21-2004, 10:29 AM
Indeed. Its unsettling for lots of people at my school when they hear me squeal over going to Disneyland because art school is such a prententious environment, and ANY endearments towards the disney machine is questioned.
But my family luckily understands me. I hope, haha.

My favorite animatronic must be all the ones in Splash Mountain. I'm a sucker for fuzzy, cute, talking, critters.
Although th Tiki room is a close second. More fuzzy cute things, yes. Plus it was the very first animatronic attraction...whoo!

I may be into dramatic and expensive fashion, but nothing can melt my heart faster than a little singing bunny.

Lindsay

[Okay, maybe a deep red goatskin Hermes Kelly bag, but that doesn't count]

ToursbabeC3po
08-21-2004, 10:35 AM
Definately Lincoln. Watching "Great moments" takes me back in time to a place where people were greatful for the things they had and proud of there leaders.
Toursbabe

CoasterChickie
08-21-2004, 10:36 AM
[QUOTE=disneyperson]None of my nearest and dearest (except my daughter)understand my addiction to DL, and tend to shake their heads fondly at me. "What, you're going again? You were just there! What do you DO all day?" It's wonderful to discover so many people who speak my language./QUOTE]

I haven't told very many of my family members, friends , or co-workers that I'm going to DL for the 3rd time this year because I know they would think I was nuts!

We met DisneylandForever, his cousin and a friend last night...there was this lady in the bar who was freaking out and going ballistic when we told her we'd "met" at the Disney website. She was saying things to Disneyland Forever like "How old are you? Are you married? Do you have kids? Are you gay? You're weird!" She was so angry! I just said "He's fine. He's a nice guy." And then we walked away. (I didn't have the heart to tell her that her 55 year old husband was a dirty old man who was hitting on all the young ladies at the bar when she wasn't there!!!)

P.S. Good thing I didn't bring my life size cut-outs of the princesses with me...I might have got beat up!

missm
08-21-2004, 11:13 AM
My favorite animatronic is the pirate in jail who is whistling for the dog. His face just looks so real to me.
My friends (who are coming with me on the next trip to DL) totally make fun of me for my obsession with DL. They roll their eyes whenever I say something along the lines of: "I was reading Mouseplanet the other day and....." I printed out reviews of places to eat, places to stay, etc. and showed it all to them and they just laughed at me.

Disneyfreak
08-21-2004, 01:21 PM
My two favorites are Lincoln, and the auction pirate.

christina
08-21-2004, 01:35 PM
oh yeah! for animatronic? hmmmm it would have to be Red on POTC, hes the one whos trying to get the cats drunk. i dunno there is something lifelike about him, i think its cause he looks like a relative of mine!
I agree, he is definately my favorite too. "Here kitty kitty kitty."

disneyperson
08-21-2004, 01:46 PM
I agree, he is definately my favorite too. "Here kitty kitty kitty."
yeah, he's the sweetest pirate in the group. (and those kitties look just my cat)

SallySkellington
08-21-2004, 03:19 PM
I think pretty much everyone on this board has gotten eyes rolled at them for their love of Disneyland (I know I have).

My favorite animatronic is definitely Jack Skellington. It's always so cool to ride by him! For a long time I wished my doombuggy would stall right in front of him. Once it did, but I could hear the hydrolics or whatever whirring inside him. It totally ruined the illusion that I was in the presence of the Pumpking King. :crying:

Tigertail777
08-21-2004, 07:21 PM
favorite AA? oh boy... I cant name just one...

auction pirate

"red" kitty pirate

the pirate that sits on the cannon towards the end

the pirate sitting above the bridge (probably my fave AA even though he doesnt have a lot of movement... I loved how realistically the leg used to swing back and forth, and how he holds the flaming cup of (rum?) and how the parrot in the scene interacts with him (or used to).

ummm the talking skull and crossbones

in HM...

The organ player in the ballroom

the shooting dualist paintings in the ballroom

the lunging snake in Indy

pretty much all of the tiki room LOL

The vultures above the lift in splash mtn

hopper in tough to be a bug

not sure if they have enough movement to be called AA's, but the talking doorknob in Alice, and the old witch in snow white.

Scalper10
08-21-2004, 07:27 PM
My vote goes to C3P0 with R2-D2 a close second.

drjones
08-21-2004, 08:12 PM
My vote goes to C3P0 with R2-D2 a close second.

I wholeheartedly agree. they look and act the most fluidly.
except for tom morrow, but he annoys me

I also like the auctioneer pirate , and the hitchhicking ghosts

drjones
08-21-2004, 08:14 PM
oh yeah. Am I the only one who gets annoyed that Indiana Jones does not look like Indiana Jones. Except for the costume.

Scalper10
08-21-2004, 10:28 PM
I agree with you. Guess they were to cheap to get Harrison Ford to do some voice work? I hope they don't get cheap with the Buzz Lightyear ride. TV show Buzz voice doesnt sound like Tim the toolman.

oh yeah. Am I the only one who gets annoyed that Indiana Jones does not look like Indiana Jones. Except for the costume.

DEADmenTELLnoTALES
08-22-2004, 07:40 AM
yeah its kinda sad to not hear the actual voice or see the likness of the REAL dr. jones. its funny too when you watch the video they play while waiting in line, the one with sala narrarating it, and everttime they show indie its always a back shot or him with his head down! hahahaha it just always made me laugh to see how bad they wanted us to feel that THAT was the real guy...aint happening though

Nancy
08-22-2004, 08:15 AM
I like the ghost that is blowing out the candles on the birthday cake. The show how she was put together on "Showtime" with the Osmonds. Also the singing busts, but I guess they arn't truly AA are they? :)

CoasterChickie
08-22-2004, 08:21 AM
I don't know if he qualifies as an AA or not, but I absolutely love the pirate skeleton who is driving the ship (or thinks he is!) I always say "There's my boyfriend! when I see him. And I have a postcard of him in a picture frame on my desk. (Hee Hee)

I also like the pirate who's in laying in bed surrounded by all the treasure.
I always have the urge to jump out of the boat and grab some of his loot!

disneyperson
08-23-2004, 12:18 PM
You're not alone, we've always thought he looks more like Bruce Willis

Tigertail777
08-23-2004, 02:37 PM
I dont know if its true or not, but the story on the Indy AA goes:

They asked Harrison ford if they could use his likeness, and have him do the actual voice for the AA in the ride. He finally consented as long as he didnt have to do any commercials or advertising for the ride. So he waits for the ride script, and someone accidentally sends him a script for a commercial. He gets so angry over this that he pulls his consent. The Indy AA face was already sculpted to look like him, so in desperation they put a kind of nylon "mask" over the face to distort the features just enough that it doesnt look like him.

When I went for the first time on Indy 3 years ago I remembered this story and paid special attention to the Indy figures. I am pretty sure looking very close at the final Indy AA I could indeed see a kind of nylon mask over his face (kind of the same effect as putting nylon stockings over someones head like Dan akroyd did on Steven Spielburgs movie: 1941). If you look close I think you can see the nylon "mask" texture, and how the nose is kind of "squished". If its true, its quite a bizarre story. :rolleyes:

08-23-2004, 03:29 PM
Trader Sam!

sdfilmcritic
08-23-2004, 04:41 PM
. . . Any way, after all the lively discussion about the worst animatroincs, what are your favorites?
Red Head. (No, not Red, but Red Head!)

P.S. Good thing I didn't bring my life size cut-outs of the princesses with me...I might have got beat up!
You might know what I'm thinking. :~D

CoasterChickie
08-23-2004, 04:42 PM
You might know what I'm thinking. :~D

No, not really. :confused: