PDA

View Full Version : Physical Condition Discrimination?

sdfilmcritic
08-20-2004, 11:56 PM
I found this article on the internet: Girl sues Stampede over ride rule (http://www.greeleytrib.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040820/NEWS/108200021&rs=2).

The thing that bothers me most about this situation is what happens if the girl gets in an accident while on the ride and her physical condition is worsened? If the court rules in her favor on the discrimination issue and lets her ride without a parent signature on the waiver than she'll gain the right to sue the company again for getting hurt from a accident.

The purpose of the waiver is to clear the company of any legal responsibilies if she gets hurt on the ride. But she insists it's discrimination. Why do you think DL and WDW posts signs clearly saying that if any person has health problems they [I]should not ride the attraction. The purpose of this is to prevent any further physical damage to the guest. Yet this girl is insisting she is being singled out.

I would like to know why this girl thinks the best route to solve the situation is to hold up the court system which spends tax payers' money just so that she doesn't have to get a parent to sign a legal waiver giving the company permission to let her ride without legal liability.

What are your thoughts on the situation?

Forbin
08-23-2004, 08:22 AM
I would like to know why this girl thinks the best route to solve the situation is to hold up the court system which spends tax payers' money just so that she doesn't have to get a parent to sign a legal waiver giving the company permission to let her ride without legal liability.

Umm Welcome to the United States? And remember that if the girl LOSES, she will have to pay court costs. She is initiating the lawsuit, not government.

GreenDragon
08-24-2004, 08:20 AM
The thing that bothers me most about this situation is what happens if the girl gets in an accident while on the ride and her physical condition is worsened? If the court rules in her favor on the discrimination issue and lets her ride without a parent signature on the waiver than she'll gain the right to sue the company again for getting hurt from a accident.

How do you expect her family to retire comfortably if they have to keep signing waivers that they won't sue???? </ cynic>

Pirate Girl
08-30-2004, 05:39 PM
While I understand her frustration, it's not like the park wasn't letting her ride. It was just covering its own butt so that she wouldn't sue them if she did get hurt. The parks approch to the situation seems odd though...you'd think they would have her sign a waiver when she entered the park or even entered the line, so that there would not have to be so much melodrama at the boarding area. You have to wonder why she's bothering with the suit...according to the article "She is seeking damages from $50-$500, according to a press release from a Denver law firm, Fox & Robertson" Seem's a bit stupid to sue for $50 dollars...especially if you end up losing the case. Even if she's just trying to make a point, it seems like a waste of everyones time and money. :rolleyes:

Forbin
08-31-2004, 02:23 PM
Hey Pirate Girl you know she is suing a CARNIVAL? Not a Resort Park?

I don't think I have EVER seen a carnival stop you at the entrance and tell you sign waviers if you want to come in. The rides aren't included with admission, they are extra. So I don't know where getting this legal paper to sign will work, she could just say 'That's not my signature' and they couldn't prove it.

sdfilmcritic
08-31-2004, 11:28 PM
Has anybody bothered reading the fine print on the back of the admission tickets for the Disney parks? It's all legalese!!! (that means legal "lawyer" talk.)

cstephens
09-01-2004, 12:56 AM
Has anybody bothered reading the fine print on the back of the admission tickets for the Disney parks? It's all legalese!!! (that means legal "lawyer" talk.)

Umm, yes, of course it's legalese. What did you expect?

sdfilmcritic
09-01-2004, 02:36 AM
Junkalese, maybe. How about a discount coupon off of merchandise? :p Ever go to a minor leagues sport game and have the discount coupon printed on the back of the ticket good toward local business or restaurants? That would be nice. :)

Forbin
09-01-2004, 02:10 PM
Unfortunately it's girls like the one you posted about at the top who are responsible for most of that Legalease.

ToursbabeC3po
09-23-2004, 01:47 AM
I have never heard of any type of waver for a guest with a disability. At star tours the only requirement is that you must be able to sit up on your own. That is because of a safety issue because if you can not sit up on your own you slide out of your seat. IF you have any other conditions posted on the signs heart, seizures, back, pregnancy's we are not even allowed to confront the guest about the danger of riding the attraction with the conditions. They have to ask us. The ADA states that people with disabilities have to have EQUAL access to all facilities....SO if they want to ride with a broken neck they can ride there is nothing we can do. But we are not responsible any preexisting condition that can be aggravated by the ride. As a guest it is your responsibility to read the signs and warnings. I think this girl has every right to sue. She was being singled out and if the had warning signs then there is no reason for them to have to make her sign any paperwork. SHe is obviously not sueing for the money she is just trying to make a point and I think she is right on this one.
Toursbabe

Forbin
09-29-2004, 02:14 PM
I don't agree with you there Tours...this is her 3rd time in 3 years. She was asked to sign a wavier 3 times. She refused 3 times and was denied entrance.

This seems to me that she was TRYING her hardest to get on a ride that won't let her on. You are equating how Disneyland rules apply with the ADA and how one small carnival rules are. Disney has a TON of lawyers to catch flack with the lawsuit comes. Stampede probably has 2 lawyers.

She KNEW she wouldn't get on the ride again this year and she didn't. So what's the recourse? SUE! I know that if anything happened to her on that ride she would've sued them anyhow whether or not the ADA rules say she is responsible.

Remember the overweight lady at Knotts who was 300+lbs and was ejected from a ride (Ghostrider rollercoaster I think)? She wasn't proper for that ride (She was too big), and it would be OBVIOUS that she couldn't ride it. (They would've had to redo all the cars because of her) But I'm sure her family is suing Knotts ATM because of it.

Even if this girl wins you know what's going to happen? Stampede will declare bankruptcy and vanish. If she loses? Stampede won't let her IN THE PARK. So who's the winner here? The lawyers.

This was a bit rambling but I hope my point went accross.

mystycalchyk
09-29-2004, 02:29 PM
Remember the overweight lady at Knotts who was 300+lbs and was ejected from a ride (Ghostrider rollercoaster I think)? She wasn't proper for that ride (She was too big), and it would be OBVIOUS that she couldn't ride it. (They would've had to redo all the cars because of her) But I'm sure her family is suing Knotts ATM because of it.

do you have any info on this. I never heard of this incident. sorry to hijack.

sdfilmcritic
09-29-2004, 11:34 PM
The overweight rider at Knott's Berry Farm was on Perilous Plunge (the water ride) and not Ghost Rider (the wooden rollercoaster). Here's a link to the story: http://www.rideaccidents.com/2001.html#sep21

Forbin
09-30-2004, 09:00 AM
Hmmm..I would've sworn it was a coaster. They had 2 coaster accidents in 3 years there.
NM it was the water ride. I've rode that and I felt as if I was going to fly off it.
I'm confusing it with the lady who had the heart attack on one of their rides the month before.
The coaster accident there was where the employee was walking on the tracks when the coaster came into the station.

But to reinforce my suspicions about ADA. Look at their top news story, Park Manager charged with Homicide after person falls out of their ride. Hmm..the ADA covers that? I bet