PDA

View Full Version : Could fingerprint ID be used on DL lockers?

Pirate Girl
08-20-2004, 07:17 PM
I recently ran across an article on CNN about using fingerprint ID to open and close lockers at the Statue of Liberty (http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/ptech/08/11/biometrics.ap/index.html). I also noticed that these are the very same lockers used in DLR. I think it would be really convinient to use my fingerprint to open my locker at DL rather than having to track down the slip with my combo on it. What do you guys think? Like the idea, dislike the idea? Do you think Disney would consider changing the lockers anytime soon? (The current ones are fairly new, if I'm not mistaken.)

sdfilmcritic
08-20-2004, 08:07 PM
I would be worried. Imagine of the thousands of people visiting the park each day and all those fingerprints on the lockers. Upon a recent trip to DL my friends and I all used the same locker. That would mean all four of us would have to have our fingerprints identified and programmed in to the locker just to retreive a pair of sunglasses or a bottle of water. I think it would be more of a hassle for both the guest and the park to have to program the lockers EVERY DAY to read fingerprints when the locker's computer could easily generate a six digit code and assign it to a locker number upon each new day.

Pirate Girl
08-20-2004, 09:14 PM
Well the program that runs the lockers would store the prints in the same way that it stores the combinations. And then reset the system at the end of each day. There's nothing different about that.

splashmtngurl
08-20-2004, 09:19 PM
it sounds like it could be a problem.....i dont know how but still plus what with hacking and stuff....not to mention that it would take a lot of time to program all of those finger prints and delete them at the end of the day...it would probably be more trouble than its worth because to many things can go wrong@

mjformenotyou
08-20-2004, 09:21 PM
it's a little bit too dystopia government controlling for me. i don't like the idea of the whole fingerprint thing at alllll. even though i made my cats get microchips. i know.
levis tracks customers fingerprints on this multimedia type machine in their store in sf and track what music they listen to and what they bought, and market it as "fun".
no way.
not for me.
i like keys. or combinations, i guess.

Pilot Mickey
08-20-2004, 09:28 PM
lets just go Minorty Report and have everyone get eye scans :rolleyes:

sdfilmcritic
08-20-2004, 11:24 PM
lets just go Minorty Report and have everyone get eye scans :rolleyes:
I was thinking the same thing. It's bad enough with having cookies on the Internet. When I saw that part of Minority Report I was thinking it was cookies for retail shopping! How annoying!!

stan4d_steph
08-21-2004, 07:56 AM
Biometric systems have more problems than just random codes. Some people's fingerprints don't register well on these systems, so they would need assistance everytime they tried to get in a locker. Plus, it would have to be the same person opening the locker each time, whereas now any member of the party can go and retrieve an item as long as they have the receipt.

The Statue of Liberty case is different, in my opinion. I'm sure the fingerprinting is for heightened security.
...prints are being run through terrorist watch lists in the biggest deployment of biometrics yet -- the federal government's new system for tracking foreign travelers.

Thomas
08-22-2004, 05:49 PM
The best system that I have heard of is you put money in the machine, a locker pops open, and a receipt with the password prints out to open the locker later.

Oh wait, that is the system in use already and it works just fine.

Disney Vault
08-22-2004, 06:14 PM
I dont see why they would change it when there are no problems with the current system.

SJSman
08-22-2004, 09:27 PM
you guys are too critical.. the OP just was throwing a topic out- dont be too harsh..

DisneyDustin22
08-23-2004, 12:03 PM
i memorize my locker code while waiting in line. makes things go much smother when at the end of the day and EVERYONE is opening a locker, i see people digging around for the code paper and i just step right up and within a few seconds, i have my things. :D

Nowhereman
08-24-2004, 12:24 AM
Universal Islands of Adventure has this system. It works way better then any of the systems out there

timl33
08-24-2004, 08:15 AM
So we want to change an existing working system... why?

CoasterChickie
08-24-2004, 08:27 AM
I think a fingerprint system would cause a lot of aggravation. The system now works fine and it is especially convenient now that you can use your atm/credit card to pay versus having to hunt for change again and again.

tahnok100
08-24-2004, 04:08 PM
Universal Islands of Adventure has this system. It works way better then any of the systems out there

Yes, I was going to point that out. The system is being used more and more. The only problem with it is if you want somebody else to unlock it. But if you give it half a thought when you put something into the locker you will know who will pick it up and it won't be a problem.

cstephens
08-24-2004, 06:33 PM
Yes, I was going to point that out. The system is being used more and more. The only problem with it is if you want somebody else to unlock it. But if you give it half a thought when you put something into the locker you will know who will pick it up and it won't be a problem.

I don't want to have to contemplate what I'm going to be doing every minute of the day. The whole point of the locker is that I can put stuff in there and then take stuff out or put more stuff in when I want to, provided they're the in-and-out type.

What if you're sharing a locker with friends? Or your party splits up? If my husband and I both have a jacket in the locker, and we happen to be separated, and the locker is keyed to his fingerprint, then I can't get the jacket without him. Similarly, if I want to put something else in the locker, I still can't do it without him. If it's keyed to my prints, he can't do anything either.

Code works perfectly for me.

Nowhereman
08-24-2004, 11:37 PM
I don't want to have to contemplate what I'm going to be doing every minute of the day. The whole point of the locker is that I can put stuff in there and then take stuff out or put more stuff in when I want to, provided they're the in-and-out type.

What if you're sharing a locker with friends? Or your party splits up? If my husband and I both have a jacket in the locker, and we happen to be separated, and the locker is keyed to his fingerprint, then I can't get the jacket without him. Similarly, if I want to put something else in the locker, I still can't do it without him. If it's keyed to my prints, he can't do anything either.

Code works perfectly for me.

haha come on now!!!! If you have a key only ONE of you can open it anyways!!!! So it would be the same as your a print. It seems like most people aruging against it haven't used it. It worked flawless when I used it

sdfilmcritic
08-25-2004, 01:20 AM
haha come on now!!!! If you have a key only ONE of you can open it anyways!!!! So it would be the same as your a print. It seems like most people aruging against it haven't used it. It worked flawless when I used it
A key? They haven't used the key lockers in years. The code locker was supposed to be a solution to the key problem by letting multiple people in the party have equal access to the same locker without having to use one key. The code could be easily memorized by everyone in the group, versus one key or fingerprint being used for one locker. This is the one main thing I have against the fingerprint idea. The computer system would have to recognize and save one fingerprint of every person in your group who would like to have access to the locker for the day. This can be time consuming, especially in the morning when the crowds are pouring in to the locker room for rentals. The code system can be automatically generated in seconds and this one code can give access to a whole group without having to waste time registering fingerprints or to pass around a physical item like a key for locker opening.

Disney Vault
08-25-2004, 09:35 AM
Even with a key you can give it to someone else in your party to get something but with a fingerprint the person whos finger locked the locker has to go with the person to get something out.

jasonpbyu
08-25-2004, 10:01 AM
they're a pain in the butt. i've never had one open right away. takes several tries, have had to hunt down a worker and have them open it before as well. if it rains, forget about it.

the ones where you set your own code are the best.

Matt Hamand
08-25-2004, 11:21 AM
The technical feasability of the biometric systems is probably not what really hurts this idea.

The real problem is that the current locker system used in both parks is only, what, 5 years old? I can't see Disney replacing a young working system with a new system this soon into its service life.

I sure wouldn't.