PDA

View Full Version : Walt's 100th

Pages : [1] 2

Ace
11-15-2001, 08:13 PM
How could Disneyland not do anything for this occasion!!! HE WAS THE SMARTEST MAN TO EVER WALK THE FACE OF THE EARTH!!!!!!!!!

MammaSilva
11-15-2001, 08:21 PM
While many if not all of us here agree with you Squinky, for some bizarre reason the 'suits' have decided that the lame 'pin' collection purchased thru the stores, a few dvd's being released with some of the 'original' shows should be enough to satisfy the west coast folk....WDW is getting all the GOOD stuff... I read the review on the MGM attraction and could just spit fire...the only park Walt every actually walked and we get nada/zip/zilch in the way of honoring such a momentous event...UGH what are they thinking???????? Oh I forgot...they weren't, were they?

Ace
11-15-2001, 08:28 PM
as soon as tome travel is invented, i'm going back to bring walt here and let Eisner explain the state of his park and his company.... good luck.

p.s. I'd also like him to try to explain budget cuts on all the rides and his paycheck in the same paragraph. good times!

merlinjones
11-15-2001, 08:41 PM
Even though TeamDisney hates Walt, I just read that the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is having a special evening devoted to Walt's 100th with a screening of rarities hosted by Leonard Maltin and a panel led by Diane Miller and some of the Old Men! According to the release, its open to the public!

innerSpaceman
11-15-2001, 09:00 PM
Yeah, saw that too. Tix are just $5. Too bad I'm busy that night. I'm going to Disneyland! And even though this Academy thing sounds pretty cool for pretty cheap, and even though DISNEYland is probably going to do nothing for Walt's Birthday, I will still urge every red-blooded, American MousePadder to get their butts down to Disneyland on December 5.

And even though a bunch of Padders are getting together for a pot luck on Dec. SECOND, I still say -if you can possibly do it- be at Disneyland on what would have been Walt Disney's 100 birthday on the FIFTH. It is THE place to be for this ONE DAY ONLY, ONE TIME ONLY Happening. If the Company won't make anything of it, let's do it ourselves. Meet at Walt's statue for a guerilla birthday party. Daytime?? Evening to give people a chance to come after work?
Let's come up with a workable time, and just the bare elements of a plan, and we'll celebrate Walt's birthday in style.

Nigel2
11-15-2001, 09:35 PM
I know that this would be impossible but. Wouldn't it be hillarious if they had a huge celebration for walt's 100th and it was so under wraps that not even the mouse planet people had advance notice of it?

Not Afraid
11-15-2001, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Nigel2
I know that this would be impossible but. Wouldn't it be hillarious if they had a huge celebration for walt's 100th and it was so under wraps that not even the mouse planet people had advance notice of it?

The Marketing department has made some not-too-sound decisions lately but I don't think they could be that dumb!

blusilva
11-15-2001, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Nigel2

That *would* be something. They wouldn't even know about it at City Hall or The Walt Disney Story attraction either. ;)

marron-cream
11-15-2001, 10:38 PM
Okay, I hope I'm not posting any classified info or anything, but this is what I read on a CM flier *advertising* the new holiday stuff:

Continuation of Walt's Dream

Walt Disney's 100th birthday is Decmber 5th. To commemorate this special birthday, a two week-long celebration will be held December 2nd through December 14th. Cast members may pick up mix-in tickets to Disney's California Adventure part to take part in special events showcasing the ideals and efforts in continuing Walt's dream and vision.

And... on Walt's birthday, December 5th, look for other special surprises in your area and across the resort!

The End.

Disclaimer: I have no idea if this will still be the case come December. So don't expect too much!

merlinjones
11-16-2001, 06:42 PM
http://www.ampas.org/events/disney/index.html

bluepearl
11-16-2001, 10:06 PM
innerSpaceman: I like your idea - about having a sort of guerilla party for Walt! Just reading through this thread, I think I'm going to try to convince my friends to go on the 5th just to honor his birthday in the park that makes me really happy. If anything gets confirmed, just lemme know!

tinkfreak
11-16-2001, 11:10 PM
Marron-cream was right, this info was rolled out today. How can they event think of calling this latest "come to DCA and spend the peanuts we pay you" scheme a continuation of Walt's dream? Disgusting! It's more like mutilation of Walt's dream.

Julie
11-17-2001, 09:08 PM
I can't believe there's nothing big going on at D-land for Walt's 100th! What gives?

Hopefully, I'll be able to go on the 5th (at least for a couple of hours) and pay Walt some much due respect.

Nigel2
11-17-2001, 09:16 PM
Here is a good question, what stings more? The fact that we don't get a celebration at all? or WDW took (hopefully just borrowed) Walt items from us? I say we do a protest to show how angry we are that Walt is basically a forbidden word at the DLR.:crying:

innerSpaceman
11-17-2001, 10:01 PM
Ok then, birthday party at Walt's statue, followed by a march down Main Street U.S.A. to the opera house, where we will protest the removal of Walt's office and of Walt's birthday hoopla to Florida. A few of us can chain ourselves together in the lobby of Mr. Lincoln and refuse to leave until they bring Walt's office back where it belongs and until they acknowledge that thou shalt celebrate Walt's birthday big-time at Disneyland.

Nigel2
11-17-2001, 10:45 PM
Nah do it outside, then call the press up and tell them how DLR patrons are being cheated out of a celebration while WDW (and I think all the other parks) get something. I change the statment above, the undeserved celebration at WDW is the cut, the stolen/borrowed (I think they will be returned) artifacts are like salt in the wound.:crying:

Not Afraid
11-24-2001, 05:57 PM
We're (cemeinke and I) planning on going to the park the entire day on December 5th. Now that Thanksgiving is over, I wanted to revisit this thread and see who else is planning to be there.

zapppop
11-24-2001, 06:04 PM
I'll be there on the 4th.
I'll be there on the 5th in spirit ( unless I prefer the unemployment line to the fastpass one :D )

BB Wolf
11-24-2001, 10:09 PM
Hello, my name is BB Wolf and I’m a Disneyaholic. For some years now I’ve had a
Mouse on my back. Great forum and posts. Glad to join up.

I’m with you folks on this and can’t believe that they are not doing anything for Walt’s
100th except for some pins!

My wife and I got an extremely good deal on airline tickets and lodging and were going
to go to WDW in the first half of December and X-mas at DL. After we signed up we both
realized that we were going to be in WDW for Walt’s birthday. Well we forgot those plans
because the only place to be on December 5th is at Disneyland. Hope to see you there.

Not Afraid
11-24-2001, 10:35 PM
Welcome to MP!

Introduce yourself over in the Lounge/Welcome thread. Here's the link:

French_Mouse
11-25-2001, 07:45 AM
It's a pity they do nothing at Wat's park!!
What about bringing some candles you could light at his statue ?

I will be at DLP on the 5th December.
Here what they will do on the old world:
- AP will have a free commemorative poster.
- we will be greeted by 100 characters !!
- Special Fireworks

I will have a special thought to the Man that started it all !

Nigel2
11-26-2001, 09:17 PM
I am surprised they didn't try for a merchandise event (or would the theme of the disneyana convention count as that?)

steamboatStu
11-27-2001, 09:46 AM
Well, stating that Disneyland has done nothing for Walt's 100th is not entirely true. It's just that what WAS done was not very well known, and required a particular membership to be enjoyed.

In a nutshell, for my $100 I got a gourmet meal, viewed some amazing memorabilia from Dave Smith's collection and listened to the accounts of Bob Gerr (one of Disneylands original Imagineers), Bobby Burgess (Mouseketeer) and Sherry Alberoni (Mouseketeer). After the meal, I got to tour Disneyland after closing, see a rehearsal of the Christmas parade and sang happy birthday to Walt (with cake). Oh yeah, one last thing - I got to tour Walt's apartment!

It is a real shame though that Disneyland is not doing anything publicly to recognize this event. But on the other hand, I had a night I will not soon forget.

Dlandmom
11-27-2001, 09:54 AM
I'll be there at some point on the 5th...just won't know when until the day before.

innerSpaceman
11-27-2001, 12:14 PM
SteamboatStu: Congratulations on your new Club 33 membership. Having been to the Club many times, I am fortunately not envious of your membership, but I am insanely jealous of your visit to Walt's Apartment.

I'm glad you enjoyed the Club's November celebration of Walt's upcoming birthday. That being said, however, Walt's Birthday is on December 5 and celebrating on any other day is a bit like celebrating Christmas in February or the 4th of July on the 10th.

Stay tuned to this thread for news of plans for the guerilla Walt Birthday party on December 5 at the Park.