PDA

View Full Version : Downtown Disney's newest tenant - Club Libby Lu

Pages : [1] 2 3

cstephens
08-20-2004, 10:14 AM
The location in Downtown Disney that used to house Petals has walls in front of it and a big sign announcing the "coming soon" arrival of Club Libby Lu (http://www.clublibbylu.com/), and yes, the sign is as pink as the website. The princesses are invading Downtown Disney...

kaybee2
08-20-2004, 10:29 AM
My daughter is only 4 and looking at their website terrifies me! :eek:

Dlandmom
08-20-2004, 10:33 AM
My daughter is only 4 and looking at their website terrifies me! :eek:
My thoughts exactly!

Niwel
08-20-2004, 11:04 AM
Well it looks like they will have PLENTY of customers!

According to their site:
Downtown Disney
Anaheim, CA
Opens October 2004

I just can't believe they have makeovers... :rolleyes: --- Can't you just picture all these little girls walking around the park like they should be running for Miss America?
On the other hand, the stuff does look cute.... Darn! Now I'm torn.

lisap
08-20-2004, 11:12 AM
Oh boy, this place is going to make a mint. Not from my girls though--it leaves a bad taste in my mouth looking at these little tweens being dolled (refraining from using a crasser word that rhymes with doored) up. Maybe they can pick out a lip gloss or something without having the whole "treatment."

Ponine
08-20-2004, 11:33 AM
"We are not just a store, we are a club with special membership priviledges. The Club gives girls like you a fun funky place to hang out, interact and explore your imagination while being treated like the princess you are by our inspiring Club counselors" :eek: ??????
(and it seems to be owned by Saks)

On the upside, I have a boy child... on the other upside... you cant view the employment opportunities online, so I cant see what your qualifications need to be in order to be a Club Counselor!
But now.. at $20 a kid.. thats not cheap but they do offer Mom & me packages...
It'd be fun to go there, and then get pics taken. I wonder if they do grownups sans kids?
Wouldnt that Rock star be fun to have while going though the park with the gals? Or during MA.....

mystycalchyk
08-20-2004, 11:34 AM
I. don't. get. it.

I mean I read it, I get it, but I dont, ya' know?

what else do they do besides turn out mini britney ho's?

Ponine
08-20-2004, 11:43 AM
Okay, the minumum age to be a Club Counselor is 16.
I'm scared... I'm gonna ask for employment information. :rolleyes:

I need to finish reading the site before I post.. really. Did anyone else go look at the photo galleries? They arent make the girls look all that ... umm... I guess trashy, as I expected.
Though I could live without the blue lipstick.

disneyperson
08-20-2004, 11:52 AM
They just opened one of those stores in our mall and it scares the heck out of me. The young women who work there wear fairy wings they all have bright fake grinns on their faces. I think the store wants to create workers in the style of Disneyland CMs but went horribly wrong. We saw a group of little girls ( maybe 8 years old) come out of there looking like creepy little Britney Spears, with off the sholder tank tops, glittered sprayed stiff hair, full makeup with eye shadow and lipstick and they were all wearing little fake headphone style microphones. The two moms were laughing and encouraged them to pose in ways little girls shouldn't be posing. scary. Now I have two stores in Downtown Disney to avoid, that whole build a bear thing....shelves of empty animal skins,.....shiver

LOYL2DZNY
08-20-2004, 12:36 PM
i think it looks like it could be fun. my little girl is only 4, but she loves playing w/makeup & dress up, and playing w/my hair. she'd love to be pampered like that. don't you all remember being a young girl, how you wanted to dress up, wear makeup,etc. i know some of us weren't allowed to do the make up thing until we were older, but you have to remember...it's all done in good fun. i personally don't see any problem w/it and would like it if they had one here in northern california. besides, i did look at the gallery photos, and none of them (IMO) look like britney spears "hoes".

TP2000
08-20-2004, 12:39 PM
That Club Libby Lu website is terrifying. Why would it be appropriate to dress up a very young girl and make her look older than she is, and like a trashy harlot at that? How is that even acceptable, and how could any self-respecting parent subject their young girl to that type of culture at such a young age?

How did it not become okay to wait until a girl reaches at least puberty before you start dolling her up to make her look more sexy?

And to think these little trash-bombs will be roaming Disneyland looking like this! Let's just hope these Club Libby Lu girls don't wander out on to Harbor Blvd. near those abandoned motels, or the Anaheim Police may try to set up a sting operation.

disneyperson
08-20-2004, 12:43 PM
i think it looks like it could be fun. my little girl is only 4, but she loves playing w/makeup & dress up, and playing w/my hair. she'd love to be pampered like that. don't you all remember being a young girl, how you wanted to dress up, wear makeup,etc. i know some of us weren't allowed to do the make up thing until we were older, but you have to remember...it's all done in good fun. i personally don't see any problem w/it and would like it if they had one here in northern california. besides, i did look at the gallery photos, and none of them (IMO) look like britney spears "hoes".
There's one in Sacramento, Arden Fair Mall. Of course, the photos on the website wouldn't resemble little hos, but believe me, most of the litll'uns who come out of that place look just like that. I think with a fun parent taking part and making it into a princess experience, it probably could be fun.
by princess I mean a sweet little girl in a tiara, not a copy of a dancer on a MTV video which is what most of these Libby Lu girls look like.

TP2000
08-20-2004, 12:47 PM

I think what shocks me the most here is that this Club Libby Lu concept is so public, and is designed to put these girls on display in a very public space like a shopping mall.

IMO, there is a huge difference between a girl playing "dress up" at her mothers makeup table, and a thing like Club Libby Lu where the girl is taken out in public and given a profesional makeup application and MTV hairdo in front of hundreds of strangers at the mall. And then, these girls are encouraged by Club Libby Lu to parade themselves around in front of strangers in a crowded mall flaunting their "glamour girl" makeup and hair.

The little girl playing privately in her own home at her mothers makeup table is a sweet vignette worthy of the Saturday Evening Post. But when that mother parades that same young girl around the local mall all dolled up like a MTV pop star, and celebrates her 6 year old's "glamour" and sexual allure, then that gets really creepy really fast.

All just my opinion of course. But then I wouldn't enter my 6 year old daughter in one of those white trash Beauty Pageants held at a Holiday Inn either, and some people don't think twice about doing that with their kids. This Club Libby Lu thing reeks of trashy behavior and poor parenting skills to me.

mystycalchyk
08-20-2004, 12:47 PM

I absolutely remember wanting to play dress up...I remember fondly sitting in my grandmothers attic going through trunks and putting on old clothes...I remember the time I found my mothers wedding dress and had great fun putting it on and twirling around in front of the old stand mirror. I dont honestly remember being allowed to put on makeup.
But even if I had, I never was allowed to leave the house dressed up like that. I would never have been allowed to dress like a hooker and go in public.

Playing dress up at home? fine
Going to a 'tween salon to get hookered up to go out and flounce around? Umm no.

edited to add:

Ooops looks like we posted the same thing at the same time, TP2000 :)

TP2000
08-20-2004, 12:52 PM
Ooops looks like we posted the same thing at the same time, TP2000 :)

Great minds think alike! ;-)

It's obvious that this Club Libby Lu concept strikes a big chunk of Americans as simply being inappropriate, most especially for a public environment like a shopping mall. Or worse yet... at Disneyland.

lisap
08-20-2004, 12:53 PM
i think it looks like it could be fun. my little girl is only 4, but she loves playing w/makeup & dress up, and playing w/my hair. she'd love to be pampered like that. don't you all remember being a young girl, how you wanted to dress up, wear makeup,etc.

We love dress up at our house too, believe me! :) We have bins of the stuff. But what makes me a little concerned is the line between fun dress up and hair-dos and making little kids appear more sopisticated and sexual than is appropriate for their age. I want my little kids to stay little kids as long as possible.

I've only read the site, though--not seen the actual store. I'll check it out and decide for sure then.

Edit: ahhhh! Didn't mean to pile on, LOYL2DZNY. :) Just brings out the freaked out parent in all of us, I guess.

SCUBAbe
08-20-2004, 12:56 PM
I was not given limits growing up. I was aloud to wear as much make up whenever I wanted. I started wearing make up at 12. I was also allowed to dress however I wanted and believe me I did. At 14 my mother was buying me wine coolers, because she would rather me drink at home and she knew teenagers drank. My mother had the best intentions, but I was a wild one. I was also good at hiding it so she had no idea. She still doesn't. She thought and still thinks that I was little miss innocent, because thats what I wanted her to think. It was easier for me to get away with things that way.

I think kids need limits and they need someone telling them that it's not ok to dress or act certain ways. I wouldn't take my child to this and because she's goth/punk she will not want to go, but she'll have fun making fun of the kids coming out of there. Heck I will to, yeah I'm not in the running for mother of the year...LOL

08-20-2004, 12:59 PM
Only for the brave

Picture this 3894/Helen, Club Libby Lu Cosmetics Counselor! Hey, I meet their minimum age qualification x 2.9375

:p

disneyperson
08-20-2004, 01:06 PM
Dear SCUBabe, that was a tad more of the ol' personal information than I think anyone needed.

LOYL2DZNY
08-20-2004, 01:10 PM
Edit: ahhhh! Didn't mean to pile on, LOYL2DZNY. :) Just brings out the freaked out parent in all of us, I guess.

no worries...i knew i'd get some "freaked out" responses. we are all entitled to our opinions. mine just differs from some of yours. no hard feelings.

i, too, want my little girl to be just that...a little girl...for as long as possible... i just don't see this being such a big deal. personally, i like the princess makeover that is offered. that would be something cute and fun for her to do while at DL...if she would give up dressing in one of her disney princess costumes for the day, instead. highly doubtful, though.

i guess i'd have to actually see this place in person, and what the makeovers look like on these little girls, instead of just what the website gallery shows.
the store itself looks very cute and fun for a little girl. we'll just have to wait and see when we go!

SCUBAbe
08-20-2004, 01:12 PM
Dear SCUBabe, that was a tad more of the ol' personal information than I think anyone needed.
you think?...LOL... I was going to go into the baby/toddeler beauty pagents I witnessed. The screaming mothers crying babies...so sad...just to get make up on them and their hair teased out....well, I only witnessed the one...that was our last one...LOL...those mothers were crazy. IMHO

TikiGeek
08-20-2004, 01:14 PM
Only for the brave

I did the math - YIKES!!! (just kidding!) :fez:

Bill Catherall
08-20-2004, 02:12 PM
Okay, I just figured out why the name of this club has me thinking of juice (http://www.juicyjuice.com/products/default.aspx).

sediment
08-20-2004, 02:17 PM
We can always hope that there's a soccer goal net in the back room. Or a chess set. Or a jet-fighter simulator.

rentayenta
08-20-2004, 02:38 PM
My soon-to-be 8 y/o would love this place. Thankfully my soon-to-be 6 y/o DD wouldn't. It is interesting how kids can be soooo different. Luckily we will be celebrating my 6 y/o DD's birthday while we are in the park over Christmas. She'd much rather Build-a-Bear :fez: