PDA

View Full Version : Getting to Disney from Hollywood area!

malin
08-19-2004, 01:18 PM
I just wanted to know the best ways of getting to the Disneyland Resort from the Hollywood area with no car?

SCUBAbe
08-19-2004, 01:21 PM
I just wanted to know the best ways of getting to the Disneyland Resort from the Hollywood area with no car?
you may want to check the train/bus routes. I was planning a trip a while ago using the metro link, but it was going to take longer to do that than to drive, but I know they have routes that go just about everywhere.

Sheila
08-19-2004, 01:34 PM
Go to this link and plug in your information in their trip planner:

http://www.mta.net/

It actually works quite well!

Sheila

merlinjones
08-19-2004, 01:43 PM
From Hollywood/Highland, Hollywood/Western, Sunset/Vermont or Santa Monica/Vermont you can hop the subway directly to Union Station in downtown Los Angeles. From there you can hop a commuter train to Anaheim. A resort bus/van will take you to Disneyland from the Anaheim Station by Angels Stadium. MTA website should give a schedule.

sediment
08-19-2004, 04:04 PM
1. Determine when you want to arrive at DLr.
2. Subtract about 15 minutes for shuttle.
3. Check the Amtrak guide for the train with the arrival time before answer to #2.
4. Find the departure from Union Station from that train.
5. Subtract 20 minutes for buying ticket and walking up to train.
6. Repeat process for Red Line.

I'm guessing about an hour and a half from Hollywood Blvd. Station. Maybe two hours, depending on the Amtrak.

About the Red Line:
1. Try to get Sakajawea dollars for the Red Line ride. Sometimes the paper dollars don't work so well.
2. Get a ticket first. There is no turnstile. It is honor system, with Sheriff's Deputies enforcing. Maybe there will be a cop, maybe not.

sediment
08-19-2004, 04:15 PM
metrolink schedules (http://www.metrolinktrains.com/lines/schedules/#)
Two options on this page:
1. Metrolink "Orange County Line"
2. Montalvo-LA-Oceanside (and vice-versa) Rail2Rail Weekday.
The second ones have both Amtrak and Metrolink schedules on the same page. The Amtrak service provides additional early morning trains and late night returns.

Red Line link was already provided. They are busy in the morning, but every ten minutes or so. Check for last one at night (should be pretty late), and those will be about twenty minutes apart.

malin
08-21-2004, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the help :)

hbquikcomjamesl
08-21-2004, 01:12 PM
Try to get Sakajawea [sic] dollars for the Red Line ride. Sometimes the paper dollars don't work so well.
Actually, sometimes Sacagawea dollars (and this presumably also goes for the dreaded "Susies") don't work so well, either. I speak from experience, as one who routinely takes MetroRail from Long Beach to Hollywood Bowl. ($3 for a day pass saves me more than that on the gas I'm not turning into smog alone, as well as saving me as much as $12 on parking!.)

Best strategy is to use tokens if you're buying single-rides (and you do so with any regularity), and to have plenty of extra dollars if buying day passes.

Bruce Bergman
08-21-2004, 08:51 PM
There's also the MTA 460 bus line from Downtown/Hollywood to Disneyland. IIRC, it drops you right in front of the resort - but it doesn't run too late, so you can't stay for fireworks or Fantasmic!.

I'd get you a more exact route, but every time I try opening a .pdf file MSIE locks up... :crying: Go to http://www.mta.net/ and pull up the schedules.

--<< Bruce >>--

TheEscapist
08-23-2004, 03:42 PM
The last 460 bus for LA leaves Disneyland at 11:48 pm, but only about every other 460 bus goes all the way to LA as it gets later (the rest only go to Norwalk Station), so I recommend checking the schedule closely. Also, the last bus won't get to LA until after the Red Line closes, so you'd have to bus or cab it. The 10:48 cuts it way close - the 9:48 is probably the last "sure thing" bus if you need to take the Red Line.

The 460 also picks one up right outside of (one of the) 7th Street/Metro Red Line station entrances. On weekends, I often take the 460 to Disneyland, and the 11:15 Amtrak back to LA (Union Station), where you can still catch the Red Line to Hollywood (barring delays).

Plus, if you take a late train on a Friday, you're liable to see a bunch of people (Cal Fullerton "creative anachronists," I believe) having (mock?) sword fights on the Fullerton platform. This surreal site alone justifies the $8-10 fare and $8-10 cab ride from resort to Anaheim train station, in my opinion.

Plenty o' Marines on the weekend trains as well, which, again, is value added.