PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Zone -- I need your help!

sdfilmcritic
08-19-2004, 01:56 AM
I have never eaten at the ESPN Zone in Downtown Disney, but I have visited the game center upstairs. Upon my last visit there I noticed there were two hostess desks and two entrances in to the restaurant. One was marked for a Show Room and I forgot what the other one was marked. What's the difference between the two rooms and why do they have two seperate hostess desks for this?

Alex S.
08-19-2004, 05:27 AM
The side on the right is more of a sports bar dining experience. THe side on the left is more of a regular restaurant experience.

The right has lots of TVs, but one wall is completely covered with giant monitors. There is a section of recliners in there where you can control what you want to watch.

The side on the left is all regular table seating, but there are plenty of TVs around.

The side on the left is slightly quieter.

My experience is that the wait is generally shorter for the left.

sdfilmcritic
08-19-2004, 05:53 AM
Thank you for the clarification and explanation.

sediment
08-19-2004, 08:06 AM
There is a section of recliners in there where you can control what you want to watch.

Actually, the recliners have controls for what you listen to on the personal speakers in the headrest.
You still get to watch everything.

DisneylandForever
08-19-2004, 12:08 PM
Actually, the recliners have controls for what you listen to on the personal speakers in the headrest.
You still get to watch everything.

Correct. But there are seats in that room where you can watch what you want. The booths in the back row of that front section have little TV's at the table, complete with "surround sound." If you don't like what's on the big screen and don't wanna look at any of the small screen around it, you can put on whatever you like.

sediment
08-19-2004, 12:16 PM
I did not know that.
That's pretty cool, too!

DisneylandForever
08-19-2004, 12:28 PM
I did not know that.
That's pretty cool, too!

It is! Cuz A) You're not stuck watching something you don't wanna, and B) If you do like what's on the big screen, it's cool to watch both and use your little screen for stuff you can't make out on the big one, like replays. It's the equivalent of getting off your couch at home to see if the ref made the right call! lol

I forgot one thing, SDfilm. That room on the right is broken up into 2 sections: In front of the bar (close to the big screen), and behind the bar. Now if you sit behind the bar, you can order whatever you want. But if you sit in front of the bar, I think there is a minimum each person has to spend. At least there is for the tables with TV's and those front row recliners. I'm not to sure about the regular flat tables in between them, though. I think the minimum is like $25 per person, in food/drink or merchandise. At least it was like that a few months ago.

timl33
08-19-2004, 12:32 PM
I have never eaten at the ESPN Zone in Downtown Disney, but I have visited the game center upstairs. Upon my last visit there I noticed there were two hostess desks and two entrances in to the restaurant. One was marked for a Show Room and I forgot what the other one was marked. What's the difference between the two rooms and why do they have two seperate hostess desks for this?

By the way, if you're any type of sports fan, the Recliners in the front are a MUST to experience at least once. My first time at an ESPN Zone was in Times Square (didn't even know these things existed) and got a nice recliner seat at lunch on a Tuesday. No such luck for dinner though (it was all-star game that day). Absolutely fabulous!

Lani
08-19-2004, 12:50 PM
By the way, the ESPN Zone will charge a special cover for any special events. They did that the other year when the Lakers were going into the finals. Of course, since THAT won't happen for a loooong time, maybe they'll do it for the World Series. ;):D

sediment
08-19-2004, 12:54 PM
I agree about the recliners. I partook in one in Chicago with a nice Philly Steak Sandwich. Very nice (and company reimbursed). It was a slow day/time, so there was no wait for the recliner.
I have a hard time squeezing into DTD's anytime I go (which is quite rarely).

Susan L
08-19-2004, 07:00 PM
My family did eat there the food was great, service was good. We had a large group of us there was ten of us, my brother in law picked up the check, it was quite sizable. But we had a very pleasant dinner and then went upstairs to play around for a while. One thing though we went on a Friday evening, fortunately we went early enough so we didn't have to long of a wait. But if you can avoid the weekend I would. Way to many people. When we came out they had a line all the way out to the parking lot. I don't think they take reservations.

missm
10-18-2004, 11:49 AM
What else is there to do besides watch games? Are there video games? The $10's that comes with the DLR park hopper, what is that good for? I am going with 2 sports nuts, neither have been to an ESPN zone so they were wondering what it was like.

stan4d_steph
10-18-2004, 11:54 AM
There's an arcade upstairs with sports-themed games: car racing, boxing, soccer, football etc. The $10 card is credit for playing the games.

CarlieB
10-18-2004, 11:55 AM
If you were planning to eat there on a Saturday (say, a group of 8, in the dining area on the left), how early should you show up? Would six o'clock be okay, or would you recommend earlier?

sediment
10-18-2004, 11:58 AM
It depends on when you want to eat.

stan4d_steph
10-18-2004, 12:00 PM
If you were planning to eat there on a Saturday (say, a group of 8, in the dining area on the left), how early should you show up? Would six o'clock be okay, or would you recommend earlier?6 would probably be okay. People tend to eat a bit later in CA. However, you might want to look into making a reservation or doing call-ahead seating since you have a large party.