PDA

View Full Version : 50th Anniversary: Hours, Fantasmic, Crowds

Dr. G
08-18-2004, 12:10 PM
Hi,

We're trying to decide when to go to DL next year. Our two main choices (due to kids' school schedules) is April 16-23 or June 3-11, 2005. We'd like to go in June, obviously, to see all the 50th stuff. However, I'm concerned about crowds. Our first priority when visiting DL is to plan around Splash Mountain refurbs (we only go to DL every few years and Splash is our favorite thing on the planet, almost) and the second priority is to avoid crowds. There is so much more to DL than the fireworks and parades in June(although we love those too) that we may opt for missing the 50th stuff in exchange for light attendance in April.

As we try to make the decision, here are our key questions so far:

1. What are the odds of the Splash Mountain refurb extending beyond mid-March?

2. What will the park hours be in April and June? How far in advance does Disneyland make these known? I'm assuming April will be reduced hours but do you think they'll have extended summer-type hours in early June because of the 50th celebrations? If the park is open late (11 or midnight) in June it may be worth it to us to go, even if the crowds are much worse than April.

3. Will Fantasmic be playing in April or June? I'm assuming April is a no-go. Will Fantasmic be running every night during the 50th celebrations, only on weekends, only in the heart of the summer? Any ideas? Our kids have never seen Fantasmic because the 2 times we've gone before it's been in the off season.

4. Will the big 50th stuff (parades and fireworks) run every day/night from 5/5/05 through the end of the 50th or do you think they'll only do them on weekends.

THANKS in advance for any assistance or information you may have. I did a search of the forums for this info but didn't find it (I must not have looked properly because I'm sure this must have been discussed already). And yes, I know it's way too early probably for this info but I'm a compulsive freak and a Disney freak so I'm planning already! :)

Have a great day!

sediment
08-18-2004, 12:45 PM
I suggest June. Here's why:
1. Odds are low of extended refurb into June. Anything's possible, though for mid-April.
2. Park hours will be about the same as they were this past April and June. These should be available in DL Updates.
3. Fantasmic! schedule will be about the same as it was this past April and June. Basic idea: if the crowds are expected to be light for a long time, then Fantasmic! does not play. These should be available in DL Updates.
4. I'm guessing every night for the whole year and a half or so.

AVP
08-18-2004, 12:49 PM
I second the suggestion for June. In April you have the probability that any last-minute project that didn't get completed on time will be extended to insure it's done before 05/05/05. In June, your odds are much better that rides won't be closed. I imagine that the 50th anniversary stuff is going to run nightly, with the possible exception of the fireworks. (But they might - you never know, especially in June)

AVP

mystycalchyk
08-18-2004, 01:59 PM
I daresay the 50th stuff will be ongoing....and I fear you have no hope of 'less crowds' at any point during that summer. It's going to be a madhouse.... :fez: and I will be there on 050505 to help kick it off :fez:

Cloud Buster
08-19-2004, 02:07 AM
1. What are the odds of the Splash Mountain refurb extending beyond mid-March?

2. What will the park hours be in April and June? How far in advance does Disneyland make these known? I'm assuming April will be reduced hours but do you think they'll have extended summer-type hours in early June because of the 50th celebrations? If the park is open late (11 or midnight) in June it may be worth it to us to go, even if the crowds are much worse than April.

3. Will Fantasmic be playing in April or June? I'm assuming April is a no-go. Will Fantasmic be running every night during the 50th celebrations, only on weekends, only in the heart of the summer? Any ideas? Our kids have never seen Fantasmic because the 2 times we've gone before it's been in the off season.

4. Will the big 50th stuff (parades and fireworks) run every day/night from 5/5/05 through the end of the 50th or do you think they'll only do them on weekends.

First off, I work in DLR entertainment, and we've been asking a lot of the same questions. Most of them haven't been figured out yet, and even if they have, TDA is not telling us yet.

1. I'd guess 50/50. Right now, just about every project that's starting is not getting finished on time or is getting pushed back. You may have heard that Space Mountain's projected opening for April has been pushed back to November. This is likely indirectly related to the latest Big Thunder incident. The plan was to have the 50th completely ready by 5/5/05, but it's looking less and less likely. I still think they're using it as a target date, however, since they've already announced the full day closure on 5/4.

2. Again, don't know. Keep in mind, late April / Early May sees extended park hours due to Spring Break. This includes extra parades & shows.

3. Keep in mind again, spring break. In late April, absolutely, F! will be playing, unless things change from previous seasons. During summer they will likely keep this years schedule, which includes two showings of F! every night at 9:00 and 10:30. Weekday, weekend, doesn't matter if it's during the summer season. It's possible the summer season will start early -- generally the start date is June 1 - June 19 depending on your department, ending on September 19 (or slightly sooner, again depending on the department / aspect of show).

4. Though the schedule hasn't been announced, I would count on everything running every night, including the Parade of Dreams, F!, and the 50th pyro. Whether they will start on 5/5/05 however remains to be seen.

Again, if I had to guess, I'd say everything will start playing every day starting 5/5, but with the money we're spending on everything and the massive budget cuts I've seen in the past months due to 50th spending, don't be surprised if 5/5 is only a ceremonial unveiling of the new castle or something, and the Parade of Dreams / fireworks don't go into high gear (or debut at all) until later in summer.

Bottom line -- nothing is carved in stone.

Dr. G
08-20-2004, 07:31 AM
Thanks to everyone for their advice and insight. I realize I'm a little early on trying to figure this stuff out. I do also lean toward June, but truthfully Disneyland to us is not just about parades and fireworks and if we don't see those, it's okay. However, we'll be there over a weekend regardless so I'm sure they'd have something going. I just don't want to feel like we're visiting "tarpland" in April.

Again, thanks for all the wonderful insight. Cloud Buster, it's good to know that the official scoop isn't out on this stuff yet--I was afraid I'd missed an obvious announcement of some type.

This board is such a great resource-thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Have a great day!