PDA

View Full Version : Peter Pan's Flight

sdfilmcritic
08-18-2004, 04:20 AM
I recently hopped on to the Peter Pan attraction at DL and noticed for the first time all the little moving cars as the "ship" flies over London. Has those cars always moved on the London streets? Of all the times I had gone on the ride I can never remember the cars moving, even though a friend of mine remembers they had.

stan4d_steph
08-18-2004, 05:10 AM
Yep, cars have always moved.

merlinjones
08-18-2004, 07:02 AM
They have always been there...

Of course there were no cars in 1910, but why point that out?

missm
08-18-2004, 07:46 AM
There were cars in 1910. Granted only a few, but there were cars. In 1889, Daimler and Maybach produced a car that had a 4 speed tranny. It went up to 10 mph. Also that year Karl Benz produced a car. Both of these were produced in Europe. Ford began mass production (or what they called mass production in those days) on the Model T in 1908. Just thought I'd let you know.

Forbin
08-18-2004, 08:23 AM
There were cars in 1910. Granted only a few, but there were cars. In 1889, Daimler and Maybach produced a car that had a 4 speed tranny. It went up to 10 mph. Also that year Karl Benz produced a car. Both of these were produced in Europe. Ford began mass production (or what they called mass production in those days) on the Model T in 1908. Just thought I'd let you know.
You could see the cars? When I last rode that (About 6 months ago) it was so darn dark in the room I couldn't even see Neverland properly

missm
08-18-2004, 09:09 AM
You could see the cars? When I last rode that (About 6 months ago) it was so darn dark in the room I couldn't even see Neverland properly

Huh? I didn't say I could see the cars, just that there were cars in 1910. The last time I went on PPF was in 1993. I love that ride but for some reason every time I go the lines are soooo long. I guess I should have specified that I was talking about the post above my post. Sorry.

disneyperson
08-18-2004, 09:16 AM
The cars have been there for as long as I can remember. I've always thought it was funny that they put in a freeway in Edwardian England. They look pretty though.

DisneylandForever
08-18-2004, 09:19 AM
Huh? I didn't say I could see the cars, just that there were cars in 1910. The last time I went on PPF was in 1993.

I think Forbin meant "you can see the cars" in reference to the original question, missm.

And the answer is a resounding yes! Like some of the padders have already said. It's in the room with Big Ben, as you fly over London. They have always been there as far as I know.

I should note, you can't really see the actual cars, just little lights that symbolize flowing traffic.

AlxVision360
08-18-2004, 10:16 AM
Not all of those lighted vehicles would have been automobiles. I do believe that horse drawn carriages were also fitted with lamps to navigate the roads at night. And certainly, London being a major metropolitan area probably had quite a flow of traffic, whether horse-drawn or horseless.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! ;)

disneyperson
08-18-2004, 10:28 AM
Not all of those lighted vehicles would have been automobiles. I do believe that horse drawn carriages were also fitted with lamps to navigate the roads at night. And certainly, London being a major metropolitan area probably had quite a flow of traffic, whether horse-drawn or horseless.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! ;)
They're going awfully fast for horse carriages,although I'm sure that's what they're meant to be. London was really jumpin' in 1910.

GoldenEars
08-18-2004, 10:30 AM
Did you know that those *cars* you see are nothing more than a chain, like those you would see on a bike? The chains just keep going 'round & 'round, and the *cars* you see are just neon paint.

I know this cuz I was on that ride when they had all the lights on. And let me tell you, it's a completely different look/feeling! Needless to say, it's not at all attractive...it's actually pretty ugly.

Thank goodness for neon colors and black lights! :D

merlinjones
08-18-2004, 11:30 AM
Carriages and a few horseless carriages? Those speeding lights look like the Hollywood Freeway through the Cahuenga Pass! ;)

AliciasMom
08-18-2004, 12:58 PM
Carriages and a few horseless carriages? Those speeding lights look like the Hollywood Freeway through the Cahuenga Pass! ;)

LOL.... I totally agree with your observation!

Crispy
08-18-2004, 03:14 PM
look at the "cars" at the intersections. They seems to disappear at those points ;-)

Cris

rentayenta
08-18-2004, 06:06 PM
Did you know that those *cars* you see are nothing more than a chain, like those you would see on a bike? The chains just keep going 'round & 'round, and the *cars* you see are just neon paint.

I know this cuz I was on that ride when they had all the lights on. And let me tell you, it's a completely different look/feeling! Needless to say, it's not at all attractive...it's actually pretty ugly.

Thank goodness for neon colors and black lights! :D

Buzzkill ;)

MrTomMorrow
08-19-2004, 01:46 AM
I went on Peter Pan's Flight at WDW, and their version doesn't have the moving cars on the streets of London! It was then that I really appreciated the moving cars in DL's version. it really brings the scene to life.

Another major thing missing at WDW... the fiber optic stars! It makes such a huge difference in the attraction. DL's version is much better. WDW's redeeming factor? It has FastPass.

Crispy
08-20-2004, 02:25 PM
I haven't been to WDW recently, but I know that they at least used to have th moving cars in London. I never visted DL until 95, and my family used to go to WDW every year for vacations. I can distinctly remember pointing down at London and telling my mom to look at the cars. Like I said, I haven't visited WDW in a while, so maybe the effect is no longer working. However, I do know that Peter Pan's flight at WDW at least did feature moving cars on the streets of London.

Cris