PDA

View Full Version : Something I just realized about the theme of Disneyland this year

Pilot Mickey
08-17-2004, 10:42 PM
is the theme "A Whole New World" refurning to cast member matt becoming the "owner," for lack of a better work, of disneyland and trying to return Disneyland to it's glory days? or was that just a fluke? cause you'd think that the theme a whole new world would be the theme for next year and the 50th not the 49th. Does anyone have a comment on this besides me?

sdfilmcritic
08-17-2004, 11:12 PM
I would assume that next year would be something like "Be Our Guest" but doesn't management try to create the Guest atmosphere every year?

olegc
08-18-2004, 07:23 AM
If you go to several Disneyland news sites around (I think MP and Miceage covered this earlier this year) the theme for the year, "A Whole New World", was probably the last thing Cynthia Harriss approved before she was removed. Things like an entire theme park marketing campaign take a while to do and get all the merchandise, posters, etc. printed and planned.

That being said, commentaries also flew around that as soon as Matt came in to town it was his desire to return to the Disneyland name since it's such a landmark and recognizable image (using the serif-based lettering, etc.) It was assumed from these pundits that Matt felt the slogan did nothing to promote the brand that Disneyland is. And they're probably right. So - you find the Whole New World merchandise all over the park because they already had it manufactured - but all around So Cal you won't find any billboards using that theme..

CoasterChickie
08-18-2004, 08:01 AM
- but all around So Cal you won't find any billboards using that theme..

No, but you'll see billboards advertising "Snow White-the musical"

ICK!!!!!

Mark Goldhaber
08-18-2004, 06:44 PM
I would've thought that "A Whole New World" was designed to push the Aladdin show over at DCA.

MrTomMorrow
08-19-2004, 01:43 AM
I'm still bothered that they used "XX years of magic" for the 45th birthday. It seems as if "50 years of magic" would be perfect, since Disneyland's big theme is how it brings magic to life, but they used it for the 45th birthday marketing campaign. Maybe they could do "50 years of memories" or something like that.

sdfilmcritic
08-19-2004, 01:53 AM
I'm still bothered that they used "XX years of magic" for the 45th birthday. It seems as if "50 years of magic" would be perfect, since Disneyland's big theme is how it brings magic to life, but they used it for the 45th birthday marketing campaign. Maybe they could do "50 years of memories" or something like that.
I had a hat the company put out with Mickey wearing an Indiana Jones outfit and it was celebrating (I think) the 45th anniversary. I lost that hat, but it was my most favorite Disney hat. I hope they come out with similar hats for the 50th anniversary.