PDA

View Full Version : Finally rode the Fantasyland side of Matterhorn

sdfilmcritic
08-17-2004, 03:16 AM
For the first time in many, many years I have rode the Fantasyland side of Matterhorn. I have always preferred the Tomorrowland side while I was under the assumption that it went faster. Upon asking a CM about the top speed of trains I come to find out they both are clocked at equal speeds (based upon weight equivalency and distribution). After riding the Fantasland side, it still seems in my mind that the Tomorrowland side hold the sensation of riding faster. My guess is because of the design and layout of the tracks not being identical they would not provide an identical sensation of speed. Is it the angle of the curves? I would be interested in a conversation with an Imagineer on this subject matter.

Oh, and by the way -- I still prefer the Tomorrowland side. Better curves, better speed, better dip.

DisneylandForever
08-17-2004, 06:21 AM
I would be interested in a conversation with an Imagineer on this subject matter.

Oh, and by the way -- I still prefer the Tomorrowland side. Better curves, better speed, better dip.

I would be interested in having a conversation with an imagineer about a lot of things!

I too prefer the TL side, but merely for the dip. The speed seems the same to me on both sides.

pisces
08-17-2004, 11:27 AM
Does the Fantasy Land side offer the view of the twinkling lights of Sleeping Beauty Castle at night? Is Sleeping Beauty Castle still lit up even though they are closed?

I'm assuming, at the queue, you know which line to get into depending on which side you want to ride?

Any hints would be appreciated, since I will be there over New Years, and wish to see the View of the twinkling lights of the castle.

What would you say would be the best time to line up, for the night view?

Pedro2NR
08-17-2004, 12:06 PM
The night view is awesome. I love the inside look of the Matterhorn at night. I feel the ride more aggressive at night too. Anyone else notice this?

DCAWhites
08-17-2004, 12:57 PM
Is it just me, or does the FL side seem much smoother too?

CarlieB
08-17-2004, 01:07 PM
I'm pretty sure one side is supposed to be a smoother ride than the other.

SarahShep
08-17-2004, 01:10 PM
The night view is awesome. I love the inside look of the Matterhorn at night. I feel the ride more aggressive at night too. Anyone else notice this?

Most rollercoasters are. I've heard this has to do with the fact that they've been running all day long and, for some reason or another, they are faster at night because of it. I'm not sure of the mechanics, but I've heard this theory from several people and it seems to be true, at least in my opinion and from my experience!

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
08-28-2004, 12:53 PM
I say the FL side at night, TL side during the day.

Silly Spook
08-28-2004, 01:16 PM
I was riding with a friend from Florida that is afraid of heights on the
Fantasyland side, and she felt like she was going over the edge during
the first turn outside near the top. But, in my humble opinion, the drop
under the bridge on the Tomorrowland side makes it 10 times better.

The secret on any side, is to make sure and get the heaviest people you
can find to ride with you.

Nancy
08-28-2004, 03:18 PM
On the FL side you see the monster 2 times and on the TL side you see him only once. :)

RemainSeatedPlease
08-28-2004, 05:07 PM
mmm yea, matterhorn is my fav ride..but i haven't been on the fl side for at least 5 years...i better get myself over there...but no matter what matter rocks at night!

Susan L
08-28-2004, 06:32 PM
For the first time in many, many years I have rode the Fantasyland side of Matterhorn. I have always preferred the Tomorrowland side while I was under the assumption that it went faster. Upon asking a CM about the top speed of trains I come to find out they both are clocked at equal speeds (based upon weight equivalency and distribution). After riding the Fantasland side, it still seems in my mind that the Tomorrowland side hold the sensation of riding faster. My guess is because of the design and layout of the tracks not being identical they would not provide an identical sensation of speed. Is it the angle of the curves? I would be interested in a conversation with an Imagineer on this subject matter.

I agree and the Tomarrowland side line goes quicker too.

Disney Vault
08-28-2004, 06:46 PM
I dont care what side i ride that much. It is so funny how everyone just follows the person in front of them so everyone will just go to one side sometimes while the other side has almost no line at all.

Disneyfreak
08-28-2004, 09:01 PM
On the FL side you see the monster 2 times and on the TL side you see him only once. :)

Not true, you see the monster 2 times on the tl side.

Nancy
08-29-2004, 10:01 AM
Disneyfreak]Not true, you see the monster 2 times on the tl side]

So when did that change?

sdfilmcritic
08-31-2004, 12:49 AM
You see him twice on the TL side. Believe me, I should know.

DisDreams
08-31-2004, 01:12 AM
I've always heard coasters ride faster (or appear to ride faster) later in the day because the wheels and rails are warm/hot from all the rides earlier in the day. The axle grease must be steaming by 6:00 PM...(?)