PDA

View Full Version : West Nile Virus Scare

odnamraortsac
08-16-2004, 04:59 PM
With Southern California now experiencing an increase in the number of West Nile Virus bearing mosquitos, I was wondering what the Disneyland Resort was doing to lessen the threat. With plenty of bodies of water at the resort as potential breeding grounds for mosquitos, it could be a problem in the evening when they are most active.

Wendi
08-16-2004, 06:00 PM
Mosquitos only breed in standing water, Disneyland's water is not still, it is pumped constantly, so there isn't much risk there. I don't know what they do to control mosquitos though...

sdfilmcritic
08-16-2004, 06:43 PM
Mosquitos only breed in standing water, Disneyland's water is not still, it is pumped constantly, so there isn't much risk there. I don't know what they do to control mosquitos though...
Standing water? Is there a sitting water?

SCUBAbe
08-16-2004, 07:01 PM
I ahve never seem a mosquito or even flies at DL/DCA. I have seen some gnats though...LOL

SallySkellington
08-16-2004, 07:07 PM
Standing water? Is there a sitting water?

:rolleyes:

CoasterChickie
08-16-2004, 08:15 PM
I ahve never seem a mosquito or even flies at DL/DCA. I have seen some gnats though...LOL

I've seen an elephant fly!!! (hee hee hee) :D

Disney Vault
08-16-2004, 10:10 PM
They are these tablets they could put in the water that are non-toxic to all other animals and if they ever became a really big problem they could put those things that attract the bugs by releasing CO2 and then they get trapped.

Pirate Girl
08-16-2004, 11:16 PM
Mosquitos breed more in small collections of water, for example: rainwater in a tree hollow, or a bucket left outside. Since rotting trees are probably removed from the grounds and not many buckets get left out (I hope. ;)) there probably isn't much of a threat at DL.

Personally I think the whole West Nile Virus is just causing unneccesary turmoil...there's really not much you can do for it besides buy some bug spray.

Sean Menefee
08-16-2004, 11:28 PM
Personally I think the whole West Nile Virus is just causing unneccesary turmoil...there's really not much you can do for it besides buy some bug spray.

Couldn't of said it better myself. If you watch the news to much odds are you may end up bubble wrapping yourself to death before you catch West Nile Virus.

Sean-

SCUBAbe
08-17-2004, 09:04 AM
We used to have a huge mosquito problem. I always thought it was because of the duck pond my neighbor had. It was just a pond liner, but did not circulate and the water was gross, but he did empty it on occasion. We use to put chlorine in it. We also called out the mosquito abatement people. They tested the water and said it was fine. Well, it turns out my other neighbor has an empty pool in her back yard. There was some really black smelly water left on the bottom. it was sooo gross. The only reason we knew was because she asked my BF to help remove tree limbs from the bottom of the pool. She has it all fixed now and it's full of clean water. The mosquitos have also gone away for the most part, but we have had several dead birds in our yard. I don;t kow if it's because of west nile. If we find another one we're going to call the mosquito people out again. I don't worry to much about the west nile virus though. I don;t use bug spary. If I see a mosquito I kill it, but thats about it...

hefferdude
08-17-2004, 11:31 AM
Most of the people who have contracted terminal WNV have had previous serious health problems or so it seems by the news. If true, I would offer we should concentrate on getting healthy and getting in shape. Use a DEET product only when absolutely necessary.

Oh, and eat garlic. :crying:

drjones
08-19-2004, 09:00 PM
In any still water at Disneyland, such as Motorboat cruise area and area behind Big Thunder Trail, the water is nicely stocked with mosquito fish. These nice little fishies eat the larvae that the adult mosquitos try to lay in the water and sometimes eat the adult as well. therefore keeping the mosquito population to a minimum. Next time anyone is there, look for these tiny little fish. in the shallow areas it's easy to see them

CalgonMoment
08-21-2004, 08:04 PM
While concerns about dying from West Nile are probably blown out of proportion, it can still make you pretty sick. I am from Colorado, which had a very bad time with it last year. Many people were sick from the virus but many also did not ever make the news. The virus can be pretty debillitating from an annoying rash, to abad flu, to polio-like symptoms and neurological problems and those are the cases that don't make the national news. So please don't completely blow off concerns about it. A little bug repellent in the evening can make a huge difference.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
08-28-2004, 01:22 PM
Actually we did see a swarm of mosquitos outside the Jungle Cruise, near the little shop right there at the main entrance to the cruise. We mentioned it to a CM and she told us they spray nightly for them but they have been bad, this was May.