PDA

View Full Version : Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway experiences

Karin
01-28-2023, 05:09 PM
What have your Virtual Queue/wait time experiences been?

We got Boarding Group 78 at 7 am today. Estimated return time was 12:30 pm. We've watched it creep up all day. Now at 6:10 pm the expected return time is 6:43 pm. *sigh*

I can only imagine it's gone down several times. Our friends had park reservations for DCA today and were not able to get a BG at 1 pm. I now wonder if they even opened any up at all with the backup from the 7 am BGs.

olegc
01-30-2023, 07:58 AM
so I went opening day 1/27. I did not get a VQ spot at 7am. I timed it too - 20 seconds. All gone. So I just bought ILL right away since my goal was to ride that day. Since it was at 730 as we entered I was able to get the first hour 8-9am. i was close to the Tomorrowland rope and walked to the back. Got to ride it at 810am or so. Obviously no problem that early in the AM. I did hear later in the day that the breakdowns hurt the VQ and ILL which put a lot of pressure on the later hours - and in fact they closed it for the night fairly early (i thought i heard 7pm but not sure). I've been watching the twitter feeds of many as to how the ride has broken down many times. its odd to me because they did so much testing ( you can see the scuff marks in some of the rooms already from the vehicle's - Daisy's room especially). I would recommend if you are making a trip from far away, and you really want to ride, that you get the ILL in the morning. It does sell out. If you are somewhat local and plan to come back you can keep trying to the VQ (I wonder if there are fewer spots than ROTR since it goes so fast)

I didnt try to get the 1pm since I had to leave the park at that time. I was bummed that during most of the morning (and as I left) the Mickey Statue and the castle west side were taken over for media recordings and interviews. Thats the one drawback of going opening day for anything now I guess.

Sidebar 1 - I have a wooden train whistle I bought at D23 Expo with the MMRR logo on it. I brought it with me inside and took some cute photos at Toontown Entrance. I left the park briefly to move my car to Toy Story lot - and the security guard stopped me at bag check and told me to go back since noisemakers were not allowed. They disrupt the show. I'm waiting for the store to open at the ride and see if they are selling it there - then to ask security "you're telling me its ok for Disney to charge me for one to make noise inside but I cant bring one? " We will see if its available.

Sidebar 2- i think I was on the first or second train of the morning. As we walked into Toontown all of the Imagineers and others who worked on the project were applauding us as we went in. (They like my hat). Reminded me of the 50th. There were CMs on Main St. too.

Sidebar 3 - I really loved the ride but I found I was a little queasy after. I think I'm just sensitive - but for those who may be the ride does shuffle back and forth as you move forward. Think of Luigi's Roadsters and what they do. Its similar. Bummer that the shop at the exit was not open

Berry Princess
01-30-2023, 08:29 AM
Thanks for that report on things olegc. It looked like Sat and especially on Sunday that the ILL lasted a lot longer. Opening day I am not surprised it sold out but am that it didn't earlier than it had (I think it was around noon). I figured when we do get over there it will be the rare purchase of ILL for us to ride it. I know I have read the VQ line has a lot to look at and take in but I will say at least if one can't get a VQ and are willing at least the ILL (as much as it sucks to pay it) is an option. As surprising as it can be the store wasn't open, the same thing is what happened in WDW when Guardians opened as well.

Sorry about the queasy feeling. You aren't the first I have seen that said about the ride. I've noticed that mentioned from those that rode it in WDW.

Pammer
01-30-2023, 09:08 AM
Hubby can get motion sickness very easily, which is why we definitely don't ride the Tea Cups! We rode this in WDW back in 2021 but did not get queasy; I wonder if we would on this version?

H20loo
02-01-2023, 08:53 AM
My mom and I went on Sunday and started in DCA. I was poised at 1PM to join the queue, but was told that no more virtual line places were available. I am really not sure if it opened at 1 at all. But, my mom really wanted to ride it, so I went LL. I actually had to wait to buy until a slot in the after 1PM hop time became available. PS. My mom loved it and wanted merch, but alas, no gift shop. :p

olegc
02-01-2023, 09:02 AM
My mom and I went on Sunday and started in DCA. I was poised at 1PM to join the queue, but was told that no more virtual line places were available. I am really not sure if it opened at 1 at all. But, my mom really wanted to ride it, so I went LL. I actually had to wait to buy until a slot in the after 1PM hop time became available. PS. My mom loved it and wanted merch, but alas, no gift shop. :p

I read that the gift shop would open on March 8th with the rest of Toontown.

Berry Princess
02-01-2023, 09:15 AM
Hubby can get motion sickness very easily, which is why we definitely don't ride the Tea Cups! We rode this in WDW back in 2021 but did not get queasy; I wonder if we would on this version?

From what I have read its not much different when it comes to the ride part. So probably won't have a problem if he didn't in WDW.

olegc
02-01-2023, 10:03 AM

i think I may just be more sensitive than most - especially when I dont expect it as well as having an empty stomach, for light motion its good to have something for me. Thats why Luigi's is a small issue for me too. and gradually goes from there. luigis and whirlwind, then Dland coasters- anything after that I either need a lot of help with meds or ginger and things like tower, incredicoaster, teacups, and star tours are out.

Karin
02-01-2023, 08:16 PM
I read they've also taken away the photo op with the Perfect Picnic stand-up/pop up at the beginning of the queue as folks stopping for a pic were holding up the line. Hopefully that'll come back at some point.

Berry Princess
02-01-2023, 09:05 PM
I read they've also taken away the photo op with the Perfect Picnic stand-up/pop up at the beginning of the queue as folks stopping for a pic were holding up the line. Hopefully that'll come back at some point.

Hmm interesting. I haven't seen that yet but not surprised if the line is getting backed up. I am seeing some that have said they are not showing up when their boarding group is called and others asking if they can do so. Which between that kind of stuff not enforced and the amount of time the ride could be down it will be backed up for the wait I bet. People trying to take pics at the spot (especially if its individual and group ones by different groups) would hold up things for sure. That would be a bit frustrating for others in the line. So I could see Disney needing to cut it off from time to time to move things along. At least hopefully that is what is all it is so whoever wants to get that photo can over time.

Karin
02-21-2023, 10:07 AM
"As reported by Scott Gustin on Twitter, Disneyland will suspend the virtual queue currently used for Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway and debut a standby queue on February 22nd, 2023."

Click here for full article (https://mickeyblog.com/2023/02/21/breaking-standby-line-to-replace-virtual-queue-at-mickey-minnies-runaway-railway-in-disneyland/).

olegc
02-21-2023, 11:08 AM
BTW Scott is a VEY reliable source. He's a product manager of digital content and stories for Nexstar Media Group and WGHP. Writes and tweets ALL the time about Disney and Theme park news - including shareholder and business info.

Berry Princess
02-21-2023, 11:12 AM
Not really surprised by this. If you look in the afternoon they haven't gone very fast at all. There has been days that I noticed you could grab a VQ a couple hours after the fact for the 1pm drop. The ILL for it generally seems to be easy to get as well if wanted and never to far out in time.

We still haven't had a chance to go on it yet. We were suppose to go the weekend before last but got sick. Have a date this weekend so shall see how it works out with the standby and if we will bother or not.

olegc
02-21-2023, 11:40 AM
Not really surprised by this. If you look in the afternoon they haven't gone very fast at all. There has been days that I noticed you could grab a VQ a couple hours after the fact for the 1pm drop. The ILL for it generally seems to be easy to get as well if wanted and never to far out in time.

We still haven't had a chance to go on it yet. We were suppose to go the weekend before last but got sick. Have a date this weekend so shall see how it works out with the standby and if we will bother or not.

i would say when you ride it for the first time you should use the standby - the ILL skips the last half of the great queue props.

Berry Princess
02-21-2023, 11:54 AM
i would say when you ride it for the first time you should use the standby - the ILL skips the last half of the great queue props.

I know it skips part of it. Yet I have no desire to pay for ILL either for it. IMO better ways to spend the cash if given the choice. Really though doing standby always comes down to what the wait time will be. So will see how this goes and keep an eye on things. I'm watching that weather to in hopes that maybe it will help out a bit. *fingerscrossed*