PDA

View Full Version : Holidays 2022 food and merch

Pages : [1] 2

olegc
11-08-2022, 11:50 AM
The foodie guide finally appeared. SO MANY NEW ITEMS. and we've lost 2 weeks of time (those with Inspire or Dream keys). Some of the ODV souvenir's look neat. Im not so into any of the regular Emporium/WoD based merch. has not really caught my eye - but that means more money for treats!
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2022/11/disney-eats-delivers-the-foodie-guide-to-holiday-treats-at-disneyland-resort-2022/

tea4two
11-08-2022, 05:54 PM
The foodie guide finally appeared. SO MANY NEW ITEMS. and we've lost 2 weeks of time (those with Inspire or Dream keys). Some of the ODV souvenir's look neat. Im not so into any of the regular Emporium/WoD based merch. has not really caught my eye - but that means more money for treats!
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2022/11/disney-eats-delivers-the-foodie-guide-to-holiday-treats-at-disneyland-resort-2022/

Agree that the loss of those 2 weeks makes the merch hunt more stressful. Looking forward to the festival kiosk menus.

Berry Princess
11-08-2022, 06:56 PM
Our time this month is pretty limited as it is for when we can do things. I have this weekend booked for one day and I normally stay away from the first weekend and more so when its mixed with a 3 day weekend. I don't think we will head at all into DCA for the food that will pop up there though just yet. I did see this during the morning and saw a bunch of stuff I'd like to try so might have to try to just pick a few days here and there during the weekdays that are open to grab whatever we can. We renewed but had to drop to Believe at this point. I really want that popcorn tin. So hoping I can snag one while there. For me the holiday merch is about ears and finding whatever for Christmas gifts for a few people.

Berry Princess
11-09-2022, 08:15 AM
Here is the Festival of Holidays food guide. (https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2022/11/disney-eats-foodie-guide-to-festival-of-holidays-2022-at-disneyland-resort/)

candles71
11-09-2022, 03:12 PM
Oooo. The latkes are back at Smokejumpers. We asked of they had menu books and were told they wouldn't be out til Friday. Boo. Cousin is goong to be in park starting Sunday, so she is supposed to pick us up a couple so we can plan for our anniversary trip next month. A week later than normal.

olegc
11-12-2022, 03:22 PM
I visited the parks Friday and Saturday (very brief on both - like 2 hours) and I have some advice and reviews
Advice - if you want any of the novelties you may want to use the same strategy as current standby lines -if you see a short one get in it. I walked past 2 popcorn carts until I hit Frontierland and hopped in a line that was 25 min. by the time I made the turn to be next to the cart the line was past River Belle. The CMs were concerned due to possible Fantasmic, stroller parking, and walking bottle necks. Also, mobile order in the morning for sippers and other items later that day.
Annoyance - Still not all of the items listed on menus (especially for holidays) are on mobile order. they are on the menus for each location - but when you go to order food they are not there.
Review -
Spicy Beef Sandwich from Refreshment Corner - good taste, bread was ok, a little spicy (jalepeno cheese sauce) - but the portion of meat was a little small. OK if you are not hungry. (at least for me).
Turkey Poutine and Esquites Carnitas Mac & Cheese from Merry Mashups DCA Festival Holidays. I liked both but I can see where some don't like the cheese curds in the poutine (not firm enough). Very refreshing to get savory turkey and the pop of the cranberries (whole ones). Esquites mac was OK - mac and cheese dried out a bit (sauce was clumpy) and the meat on mine was cold on top. Maybe because I bought it at 1115am and they had pre-portioned many of the items.

More comments as we try more things later.

tea4two
11-12-2022, 05:45 PM
I visited the parks Friday and Saturday (very brief on both - like 2 hours) and I have some advice and reviews
Advice - if you want any of the novelties you may want to use the same strategy as current standby lines -if you see a short one get in it. I walked past 2 popcorn carts until I hit Frontierland and hopped in a line that was 25 min. by the time I made the turn to be next to the cart the line was past River Belle. The CMs were concerned due to possible Fantasmic, stroller parking, and walking bottle necks. Also, mobile order in the morning for sippers and other items later that day.
Annoyance - Still not all of the items listed on menus (especially for holidays) are on mobile order. they are on the menus for each location - but when you go to order food they are not there.
Review -
Spicy Beef Sandwich from Refreshment Corner - good taste, bread was ok, a little spicy (jalepeno cheese sauce) - but the portion of meat was a little small. OK if you are not hungry. (at least for me).
Turkey Poutine and Esquites Carnitas Mac & Cheese from Merry Mashups DCA Festival Holidays. I liked both but I can see where some don't like the cheese curds in the poutine (not firm enough). Very refreshing to get savory turkey and the pop of the cranberries (whole ones). Esquites mac was OK - mac and cheese dried out a bit (sauce was clumpy) and the meat on mine was cold on top. Maybe because I bought it at 1115am and they had pre-portioned many of the items.

More comments as we try more things later.

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to further updates!

Berry Princess
11-12-2022, 07:02 PM
We were in Disneyland today for a few hours. Main goal was that popcorn tin. The line at the one when you first walk into DL on Main St was closed. It was long as it was but not near what it was at the hub. That line was really long. We went over to Tomorrowland since our daughter wanted to ride Autopia and the popcorn cart there wasn't to bad. So I took her to the ride and my husband got the tin. He got 2 so we will gift one to a family member for Christmas and fill it with fun stuff. He said he wanted about 20 mins. So basically just about as long as we waited for the ride. So many walking around with 5 or more of the tins...SMH I heard Friday was just a nightmare in Disneyland with things. That many people were mobile ordering before the parks opened and so the times were pushed out and that things were just gone. I didn't see a gingerbread cookie at all today in the parks either. Yet that I wasn't to worried about but disappointing since I was going to bring a couple home for one of my kids. We didn't do any food in the parks today. My daughter would have liked a churro but the lines were so long at all of them and when we walked by the pretzel carts I noticed it was the same way as well for them. So skipped that for now.

I will say that we did 4 rides in Fantasyland with short waits. It was close to parade time and during it so we decided to do that. Then walked over to Pooh for that. We had gone in expecting it to be a bit crazier than it had been as well. We didn't bother with DCA though today. Will try that out during the week one day soon. I figured will snag a sipper next time as long as they are there.

How were the lines for food in DCA, olegc? I didn't really see much that I wanted to bother trying. It was basically all sweets for this one.

olegc
11-13-2022, 09:43 PM
We were in Disneyland today for a few hours. Main goal was that popcorn tin. The line at the one when you first walk into DL on Main St was closed. It was long as it was but not near what it was at the hub. That line was really long. We went over to Tomorrowland since our daughter wanted to ride Autopia and the popcorn cart there wasn't to bad. So I took her to the ride and my husband got the tin. He got 2 so we will gift one to a family member for Christmas and fill it with fun stuff. He said he wanted about 20 mins. So basically just about as long as we waited for the ride. So many walking around with 5 or more of the tins...SMH I heard Friday was just a nightmare in Disneyland with things. That many people were mobile ordering before the parks opened and so the times were pushed out and that things were just gone. I didn't see a gingerbread cookie at all today in the parks either. Yet that I wasn't to worried about but disappointing since I was going to bring a couple home for one of my kids. We didn't do any food in the parks today. My daughter would have liked a churro but the lines were so long at all of them and when we walked by the pretzel carts I noticed it was the same way as well for them. So skipped that for now.

I will say that we did 4 rides in Fantasyland with short waits. It was close to parade time and during it so we decided to do that. Then walked over to Pooh for that. We had gone in expecting it to be a bit crazier than it had been as well. We didn't bother with DCA though today. Will try that out during the week one day soon. I figured will snag a sipper next time as long as they are there.

How were the lines for food in DCA, olegc? I didn't really see much that I wanted to bother trying. It was basically all sweets for this one.

on saturday lines for the booths were not long - BUT - that was around 1130am so the bigger crowds I dont think were in. I think DIsneyland this weekend was packed more than DCA since its opening weekend and everyone wanted to be there. DCA ride lines were not that bad either. Avengers Campus was buzzing pretty well but not that many Shuri gauntlets were being sold. I think DCA will pick up as we go in the Holidays.

olegc
11-13-2022, 09:57 PM
More food today - 1st time i've been to the park for the first 3 days of opening weekend. My wife had a lunch with a friend so I scrambled and pivoted.

Jolly Holiday on both
Thanks-mas sandwich - I liked this one though the gravy was the primary flavor (its on the side but I dipped). Im into savory/sweet right now and the cranberry sauce with gravy and stuffing was good. Sort of like an Earl sandwich but the bread was crisper (actually cut my mouth a little).

Chimney Sweep Cold Brew - This one surprised me. It actually tasted more like the Brown Sugar Oatmilk Cold Brew at Starbucks - I like that one. So I enjoyed the cold brew. It had HIckory syrup and smoked sugar. Interesting.

I also did find the Mickey Gingerbread cookies (the full mickey) here as well. At 9am this morning mobile order was already out to 245pm (I was still at home) so I decided to try the line. When I got to the park at 12 the line was all the way down and around the corner almost to Adventureland entrance. BUT - it was only 35 min from getting in line to sitting down with my food. 2 registers being open (and a third right when it was my turn) helped quite a bit. Though with much of the food pre-made I wonder if they're cutting corners to make up time.

Park today was busy but not full. the big events though were crowded. Since I was by myself it was easy to navigate the crowd. Interesting tidbits. 1) I ran into @diningindisney and introduced myself. Her reaction was great. She knew I followed her for a long time and commented on many posts. 2) @cartersauce, a Disney artist (and former parade and ops CM), left art in the Main St. cinema and announced it on twitter. He's done that before (I have bought some of his earlier pieces). He did it right at the START of the parade. Of course I was at Small World Plaza to see the kickoff of the parade. so I had to wait for the crowd to clear, go around Matterhorn and through Tomorrowland, but I got there and found the piece. Hand drawn Castle and its great. It was a good day.

Berry Princess
11-13-2022, 10:07 PM
I think the booths end up that way early as most pick DL to start or don't show up until later anyway so I am sure once park hopping can happen the lines pick up. I noticed that before. I have DCA as a start at least one day next month because of the Sunday I picked. So will do a few options then as well early and try to grab some last minute weekdays to go get a few things...as well as it works for shopping for some gifts when we do that. Glad the days worked out well for you olegc. I know Saturday in DL for us was not bad at all when we got there. It was easy to park, get on the tram (both ways) and into the park. Then the way things lined up for grabbing the popcorn tin and rides we did worked out well. It was a nice surprise as we were really expecting things to be worse with how Friday had sounded.

olegc
11-14-2022, 07:51 AM
I know Saturday in DL for us was not bad at all when we got there. It was easy to park, get on the tram (both ways) and into the park. Then the way things lined up for grabbing the popcorn tin and rides we did worked out well. It was a nice surprise as we were really expecting things to be worse with how Friday had sounded.

Yeah, Saturdays over the last few weeks seem to be better managed than Mondays. Also - I have noticed even this weekend that the parking lots are not that full. All three days this weekend I was put on the roof of Pixar Pals and there were always spaces - mostly around noon. And as I left around 5 or so there were still spaces on the levels. So it could be the crowds are not really the typical locals (or passholders) form the past. They are mostly hotel guests. Which would be interesting if true because that also may explain the fact that attractions and genie+ are full but many times walkways and other services are not as busy. And it may explain the whole migratory nature of the attraction waits (sometimes its an hour, sometimes 20 min).

Though I expect it to get worse as we move closer to core Holiday season. The most interesting thing I'm waiting for is reports coming in during the 2 weeks of no passes. If the parks happen to be extremely open compared to years' past then you could see publicly the claim that guest controls work to enhance the experience but behind the scenes Disney mgmt will be worried about revenue numbers. And then come January will they bring back ticket discounts for locals.

Berry Princess
11-14-2022, 09:03 AM
Yeah, Saturdays over the last few weeks seem to be better managed than Mondays. Also - I have noticed even this weekend that the parking lots are not that full. All three days this weekend I was put on the roof of Pixar Pals and there were always spaces - mostly around noon. And as I left around 5 or so there were still spaces on the levels. So it could be the crowds are not really the typical locals (or passholders) form the past. They are mostly hotel guests. Which would be interesting if true because that also may explain the fact that attractions and genie+ are full but many times walkways and other services are not as busy. And it may explain the whole migratory nature of the attraction waits (sometimes its an hour, sometimes 20 min).

Though I expect it to get worse as we move closer to core Holiday season. The most interesting thing I'm waiting for is reports coming in during the 2 weeks of no passes. If the parks happen to be extremely open compared to years' past then you could see publicly the claim that guest controls work to enhance the experience but behind the scenes Disney mgmt will be worried about revenue numbers. And then come January will they bring back ticket discounts for locals.

We didn't get to the parks until after 1pm on Saturday. We were parked on Mickey level and it was pretty full but we just got lucky with where we found a spot. We have had that happen a few times over the last few months as well when we came later.

I don't know if they will bring ticket discounts back in Jan. With the 100th starting at the end of the month they may hold off until summer and do it during that time again or skip it even if they feel there is no need for it because of the 100th. Yet I will say that in the past even when we only had one pass open during the Christmas/New Year's crush that it still got insane. I have already seen plenty of people that travel during that time to the parks and have MKs say they are going to buy tickets (just what Disney was probably hoping for). It sounded like a few had things all booked hotel wise before the info came out on the MK blocks but its tradition for them to do. We had generally stayed away from the parks during that time ourselves in the past even when not blocked out. So it will be interesting though to see how it ends up this year and if changes are made or not for the next year at that time with blocked MKs if its not the crowds Disney was hoping to still have.

olegc
11-14-2022, 11:06 AM
they are starting so soon with the Disney100 that the Holidays wont have time to have the good will stick around. On to the new thing - and probably new prices given Chapek's email leak today (see MiceChat)

GrumpyGoofyGuy
11-20-2022, 10:11 PM
Anybody take the Holiday Tour yet this year? I'm reading that there's no chairs for viewing the parade this year and they expect people to sit on the curb by the Refreshment Corner. We have reservations, but if this is true we'll be cancelling.

Berry Princess
11-20-2022, 11:12 PM
Anybody take the Holiday Tour yet this year? I'm reading that there's no chairs for viewing the parade this year and they expect people to sit on the curb by the Refreshment Corner. We have reservations, but if this is true we'll be cancelling.

No plans to but the picture I saw posted was showing they were right next to the open space for people to cross when allowed by Refreshment Corner. The Plaza Inn dining package looks to be across from the train station like it was for MSEP. No chairs at all so its standing. I saw many comments after of people canceling because of no seating.

olegc
11-21-2022, 06:12 AM
No plans to but the picture I saw posted was showing they were right next to the open space for people to cross when allowed by Refreshment Corner. The Plaza Inn dining package looks to be across from the train station like it was for MSEP. No chairs at all so its standing. I saw many comments after of people canceling because of no seating.
Anybody take the Holiday Tour yet this year? I'm reading that there's no chairs for viewing the parade this year and they expect people to sit on the curb by the Refreshment Corner. We have reservations, but if this is true we'll be cancelling.I'm very interested because I've been trying to get a tour spot - but if you stand in that particular spot I'd rather stand or curb sit in the dining package spot.

I've been trying to find cancellations for the dining package but it doesn't even look like a themed info for a package is in the website. I was wondering if it was even offered. The other night they didn't have any ropes for the area in front of the train station. Made me think it was not offered.

Sent from my motorola edge (2022) using Tapatalk

Berry Princess
11-21-2022, 09:07 AM
I'm very interested because I've been trying to get a tour spot - but if you stand in that particular spot I'd rather stand or curb sit in the dining package spot.

I've been trying to find cancellations for the dining package but it doesn't even look like a themed info for a package is in the website. I was wondering if it was even offered. The other night they didn't have any ropes for the area in front of the train station. Made me think it was not offered.

I saw the info for the dining package at the bottom of that part of the Plaza Inn dining package page. (https://disneyland.disney.go.com/dining/disneyland/plaza-inn-dining-package/). I thought about it until i saw the food and decided to skip it. Wow on the pricing for the NYE fireworks package.

Really I am surprised that after the tour they would pick that spot for the people to stand. The one review I saw on it and picture was saying how it would have been nice to have a place to sit after 2 hours of walking. They only time they sat was when they did Small World on the tour.

olegc
11-21-2022, 09:19 AM
I saw the info for the dining package at the bottom of that part of the Plaza Inn dining package page. (https://disneyland.disney.go.com/dining/disneyland/plaza-inn-dining-package/). I thought about it until i saw the food and decided to skip it. Wow on the pricing for the NYE fireworks package.

Really I am surprised that after the tour they would pick that spot for the people to stand. The one review I saw on it and picture was saying how it would have been nice to have a place to sit after 2 hours of walking. They only time they sat was when they did Small World on the tour.

In previous years the tour had folks sitting on benches at The Hub. sometimes even at Small World Plaza - but that is more used for Club 33 members and media guests. I've seen CMs pulling benches into place for the parade - but I wonder if they've expanded the special guest list and have relegated the tour to standing room only.

ON the page info - I saw the new year's eve info and then skipped the rest - since I thought the most relevant to now would be at the top. I've been trying to get a cancelled ressie but few and far between.

olegc
11-21-2022, 09:35 AM
Do u have links for those reviews?

Berry Princess
11-21-2022, 09:46 AM
Do u have links for those reviews?

They were on another board. I can send privately where since I don't know how that is with posting it here.

olegc
11-24-2022, 05:45 PM
I had a chance to try two items yesterday at Pacific Wharf Cafe.
Chicken Tortilla soup and Peppermint Bark bread pudding.

So amazingly great. Chicken tortilla was leaning just a bit to enchilada sauce flavor which I like. (Not too much is what I like). Thick, creamy broth, lots of smaller chunks of chicken and green onion in there. So tasty. And the Peppermint Bark bread pudding was no slouch. Such great peppermint flavor, melt in your mouth bread pudding, and a few melted chocolate chips inside to give it that peppermint bark flavor. So great. Whipped cream and a peppermint candy sauce drizzled on top.

Berry Princess
11-24-2022, 06:23 PM
Oh good to know on the peppermint bark bread pudding since its on my list. We are heading over on Sunday for a little bit so going to try to remember that one. I think if I could take a bunch of the sweet stuff I want to try and put it in containers to take home I would do that at this point. LOL

olegc
11-27-2022, 03:32 PM
I think if I could take a bunch of the sweet stuff I want to try and put it in containers to take home I would do that at this point. LOL

I now bring one or two gallon ziplocks with me every trip to bring home at least some of the more dryer snacks (though how to grab the sauced pretzels from Refreshment Corner will be interesting)

Berry Princess
11-27-2022, 04:29 PM
I now bring one or two gallon ziplocks with me every trip to bring home at least some of the more dryer snacks (though how to grab the sauced pretzels from Refreshment Corner will be interesting)

I thought of that too. Yet obviously containers would serve better with many of the items that aren't as dry or could smoosh easier. LOL There has been a few times we had requests of churros to be brought home when we went with no kids. There has been a couple times we were walking through a shop on the way out where a CM just came up and gave us a bag or asked if we wanted it for them.

We had to cancel for today as my husband ended up with an infected tooth that we had to call the emergency number for the dentist to get him meds. So we will have to try for a couple weekdays here between the dates we had planned with the kids coming up and after he gets that tooth dealt with.