PDA

View Full Version : Semi-annual price increase 2022+

olegc
10-11-2022, 08:07 AM
So the price increase came a lot sooner than some expected (https://www.mouseplanet.com/13252/Disneyland_Raises_Ticket_Prices_Effective_October_ 11_2022)(just before the holidays was the going thought). I find it interesting that Multi-day tickets got a bigger bump per day ($10 for 2 day, a little less as you add days) than a single day ticket. Usually the value is the other way around.

Now a single day park hopper is $244. wow. I cant wait for Disneyland management to crow how awesome their reservation system works with the crowds being so controlled and low during the holidays compared to previous years. With the blockouts on passes and raised prices (could every day between Dec 15 and 31 be $179 per day?) of course we may see a dip. I was in the park yesterday and it was busy in the AM but settled down later in the day (around 330). Still busy but not bustling. This new trend is making weekdays really busy and non-holiday weekends to not be as busy. "hey, you want a better experience, pay more" is now coming true.

Though with reduced services and fewer CMs to handle larger crowds I wonder how long this can last. It seems demand for access to Disneyland is still high - has pent up demand built up for so long that it can sustain this rate? Interest to observe.

I fully expect another price increase in February. this pattern mimics when Rise came online as well as Carsland and relaunch of DCA. We pay early before the launch and pay again after because they know a single price increase they really wanted is too much. Since we're paying higher prices can I claim Disney100 celebration as part owner? (LOL).

Berry Princess
10-11-2022, 09:16 AM
Don't forget the $5 more for Genie+ so its now $25. On top of that it sounds like they will jack up that price if they decide to because of "demand". SMH

Disney isn't controlling crowds and we all know it but hey if they say it some will believe it no matter what. Lots of complaints online about how crowded it was Saturday and we ended up changing our plans for this weekend thankfully. Heck most the time its crowded but even the Genie+ rides still have times in both parks throughout the day. Yet Saturday I noticed most were gone by the evening when I checked and DCA had nothing but Webslingers ILL. Which Webslingers is now part of Genie+ LL and not an ILL anymore.

Oh saw a price increase to Savi's ($250 now) and Droid Depot ($120 now) as well. Disney is on a roll with the increases right now aren't they? SMH BTW, that was posted under WDW but I would assume the same goes for here in that area since it seems to fall in the same line usually in pricing for those things.

olegc
10-11-2022, 10:09 AM
i wonder at this point if even a drop in attendance down the road will change their ways. I think I may have mentioned it before - but it sure feels like when the Record companies tried to compete and still sell records compared to their CD sales. Since records were not providing the same revenue they just kept upping the price on them. Then fewer people bought them and they increased the price again.. Yes, of course, CDs took over - but the record companies kept focusing on their profit margins for operating the record division and upping the price accordingly instead of really understanding the market. Sounds like right now with Disney - paying more for less services and smaller items.

BTW - in a Pressler move - a majority of the Candy Palace on Main St. had almost all of their pre-packaged treats removed and replaced with Munchies plush toys. And the lines were still REALLY LONG to get treats.

BTW2 - is it just me or part of the time lag in lines is because the credit card payments across the resort take a few seconds longer (sometimes 10 to 15) than other retail locations?

Berry Princess
10-11-2022, 10:30 AM
i wonder at this point if even a drop in attendance down the road will change their ways. I think I may have mentioned it before - but it sure feels like when the Record companies tried to compete and still sell records compared to their CD sales. Since records were not providing the same revenue they just kept upping the price on them. Then fewer people bought them and they increased the price again.. Yes, of course, CDs took over - but the record companies kept focusing on their profit margins for operating the record division and upping the price accordingly instead of really understanding the market. Sounds like right now with Disney - paying more for less services and smaller items.

BTW - in a Pressler move - a majority of the Candy Palace on Main St. had almost all of their pre-packaged treats removed and replaced with Munchies plush toys. And the lines were still REALLY LONG to get treats.

BTW2 - is it just me or part of the time lag in lines is because the credit card payments across the resort take a few seconds longer (sometimes 10 to 15) than other retail locations?

Does anyone really think there will be a drop in attendance? I am kind of on the fence about that and leaning more towards the side that it won't happen for a very long time...if at all. Disney will keep pushing it though as much as they can each year for all admission types and anything else they charge extra for. Yet if the time comes that there is a drop in attendance and/or less purchases of those extra charges will Disney change a thing? I doubt it.

It figures on replacing the treats like that when they can get more for the plush. As you said a Pressler move. SMH Yet if I go in there I am wanting a real sweet not a plush that looks and smells like a sweet.

I have no clue what in the world they did to the system for paying but since reopening it has really taken longer for everything. They don't want us to use cash as much but yet we have to now wait for the light to come up before we do anything with our card. Which as you said does take longer because of that for each transaction. I don't have to do that any place else and never had to before covid at Disney so what did they do to mess up the payment system? On top of it why the CVS style receipts since reopening? This wasn't a thing before covid either.

Berry Princess
10-11-2022, 10:58 AM
And here is another increase to add to the growing list today...ROTR is now $25 instead of $20.

olegc
10-11-2022, 11:36 AM
Does anyone really think there will be a drop in attendance?

thats the interesting thing I guess with Disney. The claim by economists and industry analysis is if you raise the prices enough you curb demand. Some would say they have not met that threshold yet. I think Disney is just replacing current guests makeup with new ones that are more wealthy. See all the extra perks for $$ being brought forward and you get the hint. Soon it very well will be that if you want the best offering you have to have a very different income than a regular guest. Its taken them longer but its definitely on the cusp of that trend.

Berry Princess
10-11-2022, 12:33 PM
thats the interesting thing I guess with Disney. The claim by economists and industry analysis is if you raise the prices enough you curb demand. Some would say they have not met that threshold yet. I think Disney is just replacing current guests makeup with new ones that are more wealthy. See all the extra perks for $$ being brought forward and you get the hint. Soon it very well will be that if you want the best offering you have to have a very different income than a regular guest. Its taken them longer but its definitely on the cusp of that trend.

I don't know if its all more people that are wealthy though. I see a lot of people that mention they will just cut out certain things they would normally pay extra (sit down meals, dining packages, merchandise) for in order to buy things like Genie+ on a trip. Some decide to cut trips shorter to pay for it and curb the expenses. With here there are a lot more options in hotels close to the parks that can help guests cut down on expenses in that area as well. Yet there is definitely that Disney is showing us more and more that they would really rather have someone that is either wealthy or doesn't care on spending extra in every area possible than a guest that is fits neither of those areas. With Disney, has been said for so many years now how raising prices was them trying to curb demand (HA!). Yet it hasn't so it does come back to the question of will price changes to things ever drop attendance?

Pammer
10-11-2022, 03:24 PM
And here is another increase to add to the growing list today...ROTR is now $25 instead of $20.SMH but not surprised.

olegc
10-12-2022, 02:04 PM
so im still surprised so many people compare sporting events, big festivals, etc. that also cost a lot of money to get in and then claim that Disney is so much more of a value because you get all day and lots of entertainment included for the price (Some of these folks are former Imagineers). That the value is still there for families compared to other offerings. Really? We have not gone to a sporting event or other big-expense offering because it is expensive. We wait for discount tickets, free offerings, or BOGO deals to go and still get the cheapest offerings. I'm just surprised that the model that Disney (and supporters of the value prop) keep using the one-person price and claiming you get all that... but when you add it up, and so many of these things used to be very cheap or free, its not the same. Its kind of like with sports teams you understand because the salaries go way up - and folks who are diehards buy season tickets. A theme park - which very often is for a family and not a couple of people - has to me a different target or at least should have.

I want to know where all of these people get the money for this spend - because me and all of my friends that scrimp and save for keys are tapped out for anything else. Especially after all of our other obligations.

Berry Princess
10-12-2022, 03:01 PM
Oh I get it. We don't do sports events ourselves at this point. I did a HUGE splurge before the pandemic started shutting things down for our son's 18th birthday that year. I got him and his friend tickets for some great seats to go see the Clippers. My husband and I did 2 concerts this year. Both different costs and similar seating areas but different sides. This was over in Irvine. Yet the one that cost us more was close to $300 for 2 of us. The other was under $200. Those fees are killers IMO as well. We bought those concerts at different times to be able to do so. Yet those trying to compare concerts/sports and such to theme parks have no clue. They are not even close to the same thing at all. I always shake my head when I see this go on. Yet the amount of things some claim to do we couldn't do all that and have our MKs. There would be no way. I have no clue what some do to be able to do it all but that is not how it is here. As you said, olegc, those kind of things are a lot of time a different kind of customer(s). I will say that one of the concerts I was surprised at how many little ones were brought to it though. Yet for us a concert is a date night when we have done them. Sports stuff, my husband would go with one or both our sons at times but it was so rare and like you was because of cheap tickets or he was given ones for free to use. Yet that has been a long time now since they did that. Yet Disneyland is one of those things we do together a lot of times. Sure we have had date nights as well but its a place we all like and can enjoy together. That is not how it is with sports, concerts, festivals, etc.

Berry Princess
10-16-2022, 04:01 PM
Well if this rumor is true its another to ad to adding costs to things in the parks. (https://wdwnt.com/2022/10/rumor-disneyland-resort-to-retire-free-paper-theme-park-tickets-this-week/) This time its that they will do away with the free paper tickets they give and that guests who want it will have to do as MKers. So pay a added cost for a ticket at the ticket booth. SMH I laughed that they think it would help move the ticket line faster. Those with no pics will still need that I am sure but on top of that those that don't have a phone out, logged into the phone, app up and logged into it...well that will make it longer than a pic and paper ticket.

olegc
10-17-2022, 09:33 AM
Well if this rumor is true its another to ad to adding costs to things in the parks. (https://wdwnt.com/2022/10/rumor-disneyland-resort-to-retire-free-paper-theme-park-tickets-this-week/) This time its that they will do away with the free paper tickets they give and that guests who want it will have to do as MKers. So pay a added cost for a ticket at the ticket booth. SMH I laughed that they think it would help move the ticket line faster. Those with no pics will still need that I am sure but on top of that those that don't have a phone out, logged into the phone, app up and logged into it...well that will make it longer than a pic and paper ticket.

but now since there is no Fastpass machine to insert your ticket - whats the purpose of the ticket? except for entry into each park. There's no other benefit. Pain in the butt to not have it but park mgmt has removed the need for it.

That is interesting, though. If I have a flip phone - and a park hopper - I need to buy the paper ticket in order to cross over. Even when you have single park - and you leave to go to DtD and want to come back, you will need a paper ticket.

So now I see the line wait may be longer as guests complain at the gate why do they have to leave the line to get a paper ticket. Then when they come back to get scanned they'll probably get asked "you were already scanned in- what is this?". Its going to be an interesting few weeks...

Berry Princess
10-22-2022, 09:19 AM
Genie+ today is $30 according to the app.

olegc
10-22-2022, 11:52 AM
Genie+ today is $30 according to the app.I saw that. I fully expect $40 by November.

Sent from my motorola edge (2022) using Tapatalk

Berry Princess
10-22-2022, 12:15 PM
I saw that. I fully expect $40 by November.

Sent from my motorola edge (2022) using Tapatalk

Yes I wouldn't be surprised if it was up in that range for the holidays.