PDA

View Full Version : Fantasmic Question

Pages : [1] 2

CoasterChickie
08-15-2004, 08:40 PM
Everyone here seems to RAVE about how good Fantasmic is. I would love to see it all the way through, but my hubby doesn't like the Dumbo part so we always end up leaving before the show ends. Is Dumbo part of the current show or is there a completely new show? I keep reading descriptions of Fantasmic that don't sound like anything I've seen. Please tell us all the reasons you love Fantasmic. Thanks! :)

Explicit
08-15-2004, 08:47 PM
:eek: The Dumbo part doesn't last more then 30 seconds!!

Sorry I'm just suprised that you'd actually leave due to that part. Back to your question, yes the "Dumbo" portion still is there. The show is put on well and 12 years later its still a great show.

WishUponAStar
08-15-2004, 09:00 PM
If you haven't stayed past the Elephants... you haven't seen Fantasmic!
I LOVE:

Gigantic Kaa on Tom Sawyer Island...
The Magic Mirror 25 feet tall...
The Peter Pan sequence on the Columbia Sailing ship...
Maleficent turning into a dragon and spewing fire onto the river...
Up close fireworks...
and the music!

AAbabwa
08-16-2004, 07:36 AM
If you like Fantasmic until the Dumbo part then get your husband to stay at least once past it, it will be well worth staying, your missing way too much by leaving that soon in the show.

lisap
08-16-2004, 08:55 AM
Buy Javanod a churro and make him sit through a whole show, THEN he can complain about it ;). My husband doesn't adore it, but my kids do, so we have seen it quite a bit. Our favorite part is the Columbia/Peter Pan section--extra cool when you've just ridden the Columbia that day, then see it that night swarming with pirates. :)

Javanod
08-16-2004, 09:14 AM
Buy Javanod a churro and make him sit through a whole show, THEN he can complain about it ;).

A churro??? She'll have to do better than that :D

soccerlady16
08-16-2004, 10:41 AM
You're missing the grand finale! Why don't you have your hubby do something else while you watch the show. Then you could tell him on what a great show he missed :D

Why does he want to leave after the Dumbo part?

sediment
08-16-2004, 10:56 AM
Pachydermaphobia?

Tell him, "I'll meet you at the Hub, directly west of Walt, after the show."

fiendishnessxsally
08-16-2004, 01:18 PM
My favorite parts of Fantasmic are the dancing rainbow monkeys and the elephants on parade. I kept telling my mom that this show could NOT have been written by someone who wasnt taking acid--and she said that the elephants on parade part was inspired by something to do with alcohol detox and not acid.

"Oh yeah, mom. I was way off."

lisap
08-16-2004, 01:58 PM
A churro??? She'll have to do better than that :D

Oh yeah--I've heard about your kind. How about a nice, red apple. :p

I also love the fireworks at the end. They go perfectly with the music. There are parts that I don't dig--like the overly long villain film clip section--but the good outweighs the bad, for sure.

SallySkellington
08-16-2004, 05:15 PM
CoasterChickie, your husband is a wuss. Enough said. The elephant part creeped me out when I was little (wait, it still creeps me out :eek: ), but I still watched it out of my love of Fantasmic. I don't think anybody could argue that it's one of the best things at Disneyland. Tell Javanod to close his eyes during the elephants if he hates them so much.

sdfilmcritic
08-16-2004, 05:29 PM
I've just watched the show three weeks in a row. Good for me! lol. Anyway, I was curious why he didn't like the Elephants on Parade (Dumbo)? Was it a nightmare phobia he had as a child when he was a kid? Or, is it because he thinks this part was poorly incorporated in to the show?

Anyway, since the start of the show over a decade ago there's only one thing that I can remember that was EVER dropped from the show. That was the floating statue of Ursula (The Little Mermaid). During this scene the floating statue was supposed to float by on the river as the cartoon Ursula was being projected on the water screens saying her dialogue and such. I guess it was deemed to distracting, or to much of a maintenance problem to take care of Ursula so they got rid of the statue.

Other than Ursula, they only changes that were made to the show were minor improvements such as addition of smoke, lighting effects, strobe lights, surround sound, fireworks, water sprayers (etc) that are scattered through the show to enhance and highlight certain key points in the show.

SallySkellington
08-16-2004, 05:33 PM
Anyway, since the start of the show over a decade ago there's only one thing that I can remember that was EVER dropped from the show. That was the floating statue of Ursula (The Little Mermaid). During this scene the floating statue was supposed to float by on the river as the cartoon Ursula was being projected on the water screens saying her dialogue and such. I guess it was deemed to distracting, or to much of a maintenance problem to take care of Ursula so they got rid of the statue.

Why did you have to remind me? I had just repressed the fact that she was gone. :crying:

What I heard was that Ursula broke down and Eisner was too cheap to fix her. :mad:

Javanod
08-16-2004, 05:49 PM
Tell Javanod to close his eyes during the elephants if he hates them so much.

I can see it now. I'll be squeezing my eyes shut during the elephants on parade, nibbling on a churro (I've never had one, btw) wondering how long the line for SplashM will be.

You all better be right about this, or I'll start mailing old churros to you from the S.C. Boardwalk (http://www.beachboardwalk.com/02_food.html) !
:~D

I reserve the right to come back here after the trip and let you know if I changed my mind or not :p

CoasterChickie
08-16-2004, 08:31 PM
Pachydermaphobia?

Pssst! I think you hit the nail on the head. I took him to the circus once and he got really creeped out by the elephants. He also doesn't like mice.

So, Dumbo part aside, here is another question. Isn't Fantasmic a laser light show? How do the actors all fit in with the show?

P.S. Thanks for all the public and private messages with funny suggestions for what to do with Javanod....I'll be sure to take an industrial size roll of duct tape!! :D

sediment
08-17-2004, 09:13 AM
I think you should just sit through it and enjoy. The elephant man can go on Pirates two or three times.

mystycalchyk
08-17-2004, 09:24 AM
[snip]

I can see it now. I'll be squeezing my eyes shut during the elephants on parade, nibbling on a churro (I've never had one, btw)....

(bolding mine)

Now that in and of itself is a travesty :eek:

((((((((((((((((((( churros )))))))))))))))))))))

TheMur
08-17-2004, 02:05 PM
Ahh......I love Pink Elephants on Parade......One of the best parts of the whole show

I bought the Fantasmic soundtrack because of the music from that 30 seconds of "The Best Disneyland Show Ever!

SCUBAbe
08-17-2004, 02:44 PM
I can see it now. I'll be squeezing my eyes shut during the elephants on parade, nibbling on a churro (I've never had one, btw) wondering how long the line for SplashM will be.

You all better be right about this, or I'll start mailing old churros to you from the S.C. Boardwalk (http://www.beachboardwalk.com/02_food.html) !
:~D

I reserve the right to come back here after the trip and let you know if I changed my mind or not :p
ummm...the churros are kinds gross, my daughter is the only one in my family who like them. I hate the pink elephants on parade part also. I usually strta peole watching when that comes on. Some people make some pretty comical expressions while watching it...LOL...ot maybe have a stiff drink before hand....

AAbabwa
08-17-2004, 02:45 PM
According to the soundtrack the elephants scene lasts for a whole 52 seconds so bring a blindfold and put it on for that timeframe, and enjoy the rest of the show.

Javanod
08-17-2004, 02:49 PM
Heh. I don't wear blindfolds around coasterchickie any more - long story ;)

Might be a good time to sneak off to Club 33 though... if I could :(

CoasterChickie
08-17-2004, 04:38 PM
Heh. I don't wear blindfolds around coasterchickie any more - long story ;)

(

Oh my gosh...I'm going to kill him! That sounds "naughtier" than what happened. I had taken him to dinner for his birthday and was just trying to get him back to our house for a surprise party where 50 people were hiding in our bedroom. It's not my fault he had a big dumb grin on his face and then turned bright red when I took off the blindfold and he saw everyone standing there! :p

Getting back to the topic of this thread, I'm glad to hear there are other people out there who are "frightened" by the elephant part of Fantasmic.

Mukta
08-17-2004, 04:42 PM
So, Dumbo part aside, here is another question. Isn't Fantasmic a laser light show? How do the actors all fit in with the show?

You have to see the whole show. I'm sure you will like it. It has so much more than laser and lights. You have seen the beginning, so you know how they show the films on a screen of water. There is also live action stuff of other Disney movies. That is where the actors fit in. There is not one category that Fantasmic fits into. Sit through it once and let us know what you (and hubby) think. I'm sure you will both at least like it and think it was worth it.

disneyperson
08-17-2004, 04:56 PM
It's a great show. Even when I'm not there for the whole show, I always stop for the pirate ship part if Im in the area, which I usually am at that time of night doing multiple HM tours with my goth daughter. I also miss Ursula. And I get a little teary when the spotlight hits Steamboat Willie ,silly I know. .Tell your husband to suit himself and watch you should see the show alone. Then you can tell him about all the terrific stuff he missed.

sdfilmcritic
08-17-2004, 11:40 PM
So no one answered my question. What's so scary about Elephants on Parade? I would think the scene involving Malificent turning in to the Dragon would be more frightening than pink elephants blowing trumpets.