PDA

View Full Version : iASWH lights

olegc
11-21-2021, 08:06 PM
Can anyone confirm if Disney has decided not to show the Holiday lights on IASWH? They were on to start the holidays - then last Thursday my friends said they were dark while riding the train and I forgot to check on Friday night.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Berry Princess
11-21-2021, 09:33 PM
I don't know about the projection shows they do on it since we weren't around the area for long but the ride had all the Christmas lights on the outside Wed night when we were there. My husband and I will be there over the weekend after Thanksgiving so if in the park that late will check if I can remember. Otherwise I haven't seen anything about it being dark at this point. Just lots of disappointed (me included) in it not open and how what did happen could have been avoided.

olegc
11-22-2021, 08:15 AM
I don't know about the projection shows they do on it since we weren't around the area for long but the ride had all the Christmas lights on the outside Wed night when we were there. My husband and I will be there over the weekend after Thanksgiving so if in the park that late will check if I can remember. Otherwise I haven't seen anything about it being dark at this point. Just lots of disappointed (me included) in it not open and how what did happen could have been avoided.

David Koenig has been reporting lots of inside info that it was definitely a "mishap" i.e. human error. the leak was decent and the pump alarm downstairs was going off for 90 min and no one responded. There are more details in his facebook account. I can only imagine that the flume was cracked during some of the construction activity going on and no one noticed. Then they turned on the water and let it go. Could be that not enough staff was around to monitor all of the actions (since, you know, we want to operate lean these days).

Berry Princess
11-22-2021, 08:40 AM
David Koenig has been reporting lots of inside info that it was definitely a "mishap" i.e. human error. the leak was decent and the pump alarm downstairs was going off for 90 min and no one responded. There are more details in his facebook account. I can only imagine that the flume was cracked during some of the construction activity going on and no one noticed. Then they turned on the water and let it go. Could be that not enough staff was around to monitor all of the actions (since, you know, we want to operate lean these days).

I saw some of what was said by him. Its unreal that NO ONE was watching this or checking things during that time to make sure all was ok. Then to not notice for 90 mins or so. Of all things there should have been lessons learned during the Pressler years to NOT go cheap or short staff maintenance. It doesn't sound like it will be up and running for a long time either if what he has said is true on how bad the damage is.

Berry Princess
12-02-2021, 09:37 AM
We didn't stay around late enough to see about the lights but I had seen people say they were doing them. BTW, it sounds like we will be seeing the ride open back up by next week. From what I read they reached out to each Disney park around the world for parts to get it back up and running.

olegc
12-02-2021, 10:36 AM
We didn't stay around late enough to see about the lights but I had seen people say they were doing them. BTW, it sounds like we will be seeing the ride open back up by next week. From what I read they reached out to each Disney park around the world for parts to get it back up and running.

i saw that story. Interesting. yeah I never made it back but will go this Saturday in the hopes of at least seeing the lights (if not the light show). I have other ressies in December where I can make sure to ride.

Berry Princess
12-02-2021, 11:23 AM
i saw that story. Interesting. yeah I never made it back but will go this Saturday in the hopes of at least seeing the lights (if not the light show). I have other ressies in December where I can make sure to ride.

Same here. We have at least 3 more dates before the holiday stuff is gone. 2 this month and then 1 beginning of Jan.

GrumpyGoofyGuy
12-02-2021, 12:58 PM
Our trip is planned for the 12th-14th. Hoping it's up and running by then.

Berry Princess
12-06-2021, 08:43 AM
Our trip is planned for the 12th-14th. Hoping it's up and running by then.

Its open as of today! As silly as this is, I'm excited! We will be there during one of your days (the 13th).

olegc
12-06-2021, 09:35 AM
Its open as of today! As silly as this is, I'm excited! We will be there during one of your days (the 13th).

YES I saw that too. I will be there on the 12th with three of my friends. BTW I visited the 4th for Candlelight and indeed the lights were on and the half-hour Holiday projection show was running. One thing bugged me. I was sitting in front of IASWH waiting for fireworks - and a cast member cleared us out saying they need to clear the area for fireworks. we had to stay behind a rope at the corner of the parade turn. Funny - I didn't think this happened before. Does anyone else recall clearing the area for fireworks? My strong cynic sense was tingling when I noted all of the plaids showing up with Club 33 and other guests from the Candlelight to sit in chairs facing IASWH. If we were cleared out so as not to block their view I'm really annoyed with that.

It seems that now more than ever accommodations are made for guests who pay a ton of extra money but at the same time the regular guest experience is reduced. In Walt's time, from what I've read, he provided extras and special perks for important guests but it was always done discretely and not to create any issues with regular ops. Seems like now the Parks mgmt want to take advantage of a regular operating day staff to provide accommodation and day guests have to wait. I'm really on the soapbox now but why don't they just create a private evening for all of these special guests and Club 33 members. Run the whole park and let them have at it.

Berry Princess
12-06-2021, 10:08 AM
YES I saw that too. I will be there on the 12th with three of my friends. BTW I visited the 4th for Candlelight and indeed the lights were on and the half-hour Holiday projection show was running. One thing bugged me. I was sitting in front of IASWH waiting for fireworks - and a cast member cleared us out saying they need to clear the area for fireworks. we had to stay behind a rope at the corner of the parade turn. Funny - I didn't think this happened before. Does anyone else recall clearing the area for fireworks? My strong cynic sense was tingling when I noted all of the plaids showing up with Club 33 and other guests from the Candlelight to sit in chairs facing IASWH. If we were cleared out so as not to block their view I'm really annoyed with that.

It seems that now more than ever accommodations are made for guests who pay a ton of extra money but at the same time the regular guest experience is reduced. In Walt's time, from what I've read, he provided extras and special perks for important guests but it was always done discretely and not to create any issues with regular ops. Seems like now the Parks mgmt want to take advantage of a regular operating day staff to provide accommodation and day guests have to wait. I'm really on the soapbox now but why don't they just create a private evening for all of these special guests and Club 33 members. Run the whole park and let them have at it.

I don't remember ever seeing even an area like that in the past. We always have watched from back by the Small World area. Maybe I just missed it or something. It seems a bit odd that its back there of all places since most want to be on Main Street. Which was why we always stayed back by Small World. Could it have been because it was Candlelight night and maybe its the only time its done? Which would then explain why I've never seen that in the past. Either way it does stink to have the park taken over in such a way that those not of that status get shoved aside in such a manner. Yet not surprising either.

olegc
12-06-2021, 02:20 PM
I don't remember ever seeing even an area like that in the past. We always have watched from back by the Small World area. Maybe I just missed it or something. It seems a bit odd that its back there of all places since most want to be on Main Street. Which was why we always stayed back by Small World. Could it have been because it was Candlelight night and maybe its the only time its done? Which would then explain why I've never seen that in the past. Either way it does stink to have the park taken over in such a way that those not of that status get shoved aside in such a manner. Yet not surprising either.

they've been using the seating area for VIPs for parade viewing as well. they dont even let folks site on the benches nearby that are not blocked off. cant have the riff-raff near the VIPs, you know..