PDA

View Full Version : New coaster in DCA?

Pages : [1] 2

dizy4disney1
08-15-2004, 09:53 AM
My sister called my from DL today. Seems yesterday she and her kids were waiting for Millionaire and the CM told them that they were told that morning that Millionaire and Muppets were closing for good. The whole area there was going to be shut for construction of a new coaster. Anyone hear of this? Is it something like Rock-n-Roller coaster in WDW? I can't see them shutting Millionaire or Muppets, but really, there isn't anything else right there.

SoCalDisneyLover
08-15-2004, 10:08 AM
This is Exactly how lame rumors get started. Some CM making a comment, about something he probably knows little about. Where did this news about Muppets closing come from? Didn't Disney just buy the rights to the Muppets? Why would they close down this attraction, which was probably not as cheap to construct as Millionaire.

When I see walls going up in that area, and concrete word comes out that they are building RNR there, then I'll believe it! Until then, I'm sure the Millionaire building will be just like Superstar Limo & Hollywood & Dine, and will sit empty, making the area that much more of a ghost town.

dizy4disney1
08-15-2004, 10:24 AM
I kind of agree. I've had CM say stuff before that was pretty weird. But my sister said this girl (CM) told all of them that they were called into a meeting and told this. I also was suprised about Muppets since Disney has the rights, now. But I guess anything is possible. It would be nice though, not much over there and it is sad.

Wendi
08-15-2004, 10:51 AM
Wow, sounds great... but I've never seen Muppets and it's definitely on my "to-do list" for November!!! I hope it's not closed when I go.

mightduck
08-15-2004, 11:17 AM
you know the shouldnt get rid 3 attraction just for one. that wont be a good idea. get rid of the family attractions for the teen rides. Disney is for familys not Teens.

get paid to read emails (<a href="http://www.mvalue.com/paidmail/site/index.php?refid=127">Work from Home - Paid to Read</a>)

splashmtngurl
08-15-2004, 12:10 PM
sorry but i wont believe that untill i see it! yes rumor has it that they want to build a rock n roller coaster there and its been said many times that millionare is cutting back show times and eventually will cease to run at all....but of course those are just rumors. Disney just bought the rights to the muppets and i doubt that they would get rid of an attraction that they spent so much money on the rights for. I would love to see them add a rock n roller coaster in DCA BUT, i dont see how they plan to fit the coaster into the backlots area exactly, seeing as Matt Oiumet is already planning on a HUGE e-ticket ride to replace the eyesore that once was superstar limo.

I wish cast members would keep their own speculations to themselves when at the parks because this is how false onfo starts going around and gets everyone all excited for a new attraction that wll most likley not come (at least for a while)

sleepyjeff
08-15-2004, 01:46 PM
Didn't Disney just buy the rights to the Muppets? Why would they close down this attraction.

I don't know; I am still trying to figure out why they closed the Country Bear Playhouse right before the movie of the same name was released :confused:

SCUBAbe
08-15-2004, 01:55 PM
it's been my experience that the CM's joke around alot. When the Ap's had the sneak preview for the TOT two CM's told me the majority of the AP's were nut jobs and they were camping out even though they had timed passes......they then when on to elabortae on just how crazy some AP's are.....they did make sure to tell me that I wasn't part of that group, but I'm not sure I believed them..LOL..oh, and nobody was camping out that I know of. :)

dizy4disney1
08-15-2004, 02:00 PM
Good point sleepjeff. I remember thinking that was pretty weird. But then the movie wasn't all that great. The attraction was better.

Well, sorry to put in rumors, but I just thought it was interesting. Only time will tell with Disney, you just never know. I keep thinking there is no way they will leave that area so sorry. But I didn't think they would leave the lagoon empty for this long either at DL!

splashmtngurl
08-15-2004, 02:19 PM
well all i have to say now is this...

country bear jamboree closed due to paul pressler

the sub lagoon closed due to paul pressler as well and was never re-opened on his part because he was a greedy, money-hogging pig and couldnt bare to part with any money to re-open the attraction! I dont like paul pressler and i dislike micheal eisner even more. They are both cheapskates and care about nothing more than themselves. They never visit(ed) the parks unless there was something in it for them and frankly i dont belive they care a whole lot about the company. I mean they ruined a good bond between disney and pixar animation studios because they wouldnt give pixar any credit for their work. Walt Disney used to visit the park as a form of entertainment for himself and he did it quite often. Infact he even had an apartment for heavensake! Walt loved what he did and he never put a ton of thought into the money aspect or how it would help him...no no...he waited untill after the ride was built to think about these things. Walt was selfless and cared more about other peoples happiness then is own. I like that but seeing as we CANT have walt (which is what we all REALLY want) i think that matt oiumet is a good replacement for pressler. He is a little more like walt and is taking a great approach with the park so far. Lets just see how things turn out in the future...sorry but this subject always gets me really angry and well yeah!

disney_leonard
08-15-2004, 03:54 PM
I don't know about this rumor but I agree with Splash. Eisner and Pressler have run things into the ground. Time to say Goodbye to both. Walt not only visited the park during regular hours he frequently walked around before opening and found things that needed fixin up. Walt also asked guests what they liked and didn't like and then did something about it. If he was alive today he would be monitoring all threads on the boards relating to the parks.

WishUponAStar
08-15-2004, 04:07 PM
sorry but i wont believe that untill i see it! yes rumor has it that they want to build a rock n roller coaster there and its been said many times that millionare is cutting back show times and eventually will cease to run at all....but of course those are just rumors. Disney just bought the rights to the muppets and i doubt that they would get rid of an attraction that they spent so much money on the rights for. I would love to see them add a rock n roller coaster in DCA BUT, i dont see how they plan to fit the coaster into the backlots area exactly, seeing as Matt Oiumet is already planning on a HUGE e-ticket ride to replace the eyesore that once was superstar limo.
I've heard the same rumors, Rock & Roller Coaster seems way too large of an attraction to fit anywhere near the Hollywood Lot area. I doubt just the loading station could fit into where the Superlame Limo Ride is (was), much less the coaster. Of course they could always eliminate the last few acres of parking behind DCA... and REALLY expand the park with a few new E-ticket attractions.

I hope Matt brings back the magic - restoring what was lost in Disneyland and bringing some to DCA.

Disney Vault
08-15-2004, 04:36 PM
I like CA scream'n better then rock'n roller coaster. RRC was very short and the seanery was very cheap looking. I did like the intro in the recording studio though because it looked so real.

ActionMarco
08-15-2004, 06:45 PM
I want Rock n Roller coaster!!! It would fit well with DCA. But I also think DCA needs a very unique ride that will catch peoples attention. Let the imageneers do what they do best and come up with something!

splashmtngurl
08-15-2004, 07:56 PM
well said wishuponastar and leonard! i'm glad someone agrees with me....

BJW
08-15-2004, 10:07 PM
Take this for what it's worth, but I talked to a person that works for Disneyland while she was off-duty long before the ToT construction started and she told me the long-term plan was to add ToT and RNR eventually to the Hollywood area. She was right about the first one so I don't know. They may have just been considering this and changed their minds, as has happened many times in the past. It seems too redundant to put another Intamin LIM launch coaster in the same park. They need to be more original.

splashmtngurl
08-16-2004, 09:27 AM
oh i'm sure its possible that she wasnt bluffing, infact i doubt she was. But it still could have been her mere speculation when she told your sister about the attraction and i think its worthless for us to raise our hopes. Disney has given false hope to many times to trust it untill its officially there in my oppinion.

Of course i have no reason to dis-believe any CM because i have always had a great expierience with them. so i guess i will just have to wait it out and see if we get the attraction we are looking forward to!

the101dalmation
08-16-2004, 05:56 PM
well all i have to say now is this...
Okay, that's all I could quote; otherwise, I would quote splashmtngurl's entire post.
Eisner and Co. have done almost nothing but run the company to the ground--did you know that he planned to shut down the animation division in the 1980s? Unlike the new coaster rumor, it's true. Fortunately, there were enough creative old-timers left at the Disney studios to push through "The Little Mermaid"; and when that proved to be a hit, Eisner took the credit and announced one new animated feature a year. Of course he wanted to do that. He wasn't interested in reviving animation; he was interested in lining his pockets with cash.
I know that I'm probably going to get a lot of angry replies for this, but I think that the only way to save DCA would be to make it a cutting edge park that combines state-of-the-art thrills with excellent theming and quality. I KNOW it already needs to be more of a family park, and I'm not saying that DCA should be overrun with coasters. But it's going to need to be the "grown up park," much like Disney-MGM Studios in Florida, to survive.

SCUBAbe
08-16-2004, 07:00 PM
Okay, that's all I could quote; otherwise, I would quote splashmtngurl's entire post.
Eisner and Co. have done almost nothing but run the company to the ground--did you know that he planned to shut down the animation division in the 1980s? Unlike the new coaster rumor, it's true. Fortunately, there were enough creative old-timers left at the Disney studios to push through "The Little Mermaid"; and when that proved to be a hit, Eisner took the credit and announced one new animated feature a year. Of course he wanted to do that. He wasn't interested in reviving animation; he was interested in lining his pockets with cash.
I know that I'm probably going to get a lot of angry replies for this, but I think that the only way to save DCA would be to make it a cutting edge park that combines state-of-the-art thrills with excellent theming and quality. I KNOW it already needs to be more of a family park, and I'm not saying that DCA should be overrun with coasters. But it's going to need to be the "grown up park," much like Disney-MGM Studios in Florida, to survive.
I totally I agree with this. My co-worker just went to DCA for the firdt time and she loved it! Most people I talk to love DCA. (with the exception of this board.) It needs to be the grown up park. The kiddies already have a park. If I had a small child we would probably spend more time at DL, because she could ride more things. However, she is a teenager now and LOVES DCA. Her friends LOVE it also. They have the kiddy fun fair, now they should concentrate on grown up/teenage rides.

the101dalmation
08-17-2004, 12:16 PM
woohoo! The first reply agrees...good sign... :D

imagineerhopeful
08-17-2004, 12:35 PM
Rockin' Roller Coaster can fit inside of the space of Muppets, Millionaire, Limo, and Hollywood and Dine.

BUT

I really don't think they should. Here's why:

A) Thats clearing four attractions for one. FOUR. And you thought it was bad that Rocket Rods yoinked Circle Vision and People Mover...

B) Rockin' Roller Coaster at DCA will be yet another CLONE. DCA is a park in itself. Shouldn't it deserve its own attractions? Why does the Anaheim Property always have to lick the soup bowl clean after Florida eats its hearty meal? BAH!

C) Hollywood Pictures Backlot has had four (4) new developments/attractions since the park opening. 1: BLAST! 2: Millionaire 3: Aladdin 4: Tower There is alot more park in DCA than just the Hollywood area. Can we expand elsewhere, please?

disneyperson
08-17-2004, 12:53 PM
I totally I agree with this. My co-worker just went to DCA for the firdt time and she loved it! Most people I talk to love DCA. (with the exception of this board.) It needs to be the grown up park. The kiddies already have a park. If I had a small child we would probably spend more time at DL, because she could ride more things. However, she is a teenager now and LOVES DCA. Her friends LOVE it also. They have the kiddy fun fair, now they should concentrate on grown up/teenage rides.

I have only my own daughter and her friends to judge from, but they HATE DCA. I do too for that matter. It's all I can do to drag my daughter in to grab a quick ride on SOC and TOT. It comes down to this, (as one member of this board always says) Why go to DCA when Disneyland is only a few feet away? For plain ol' extreme coasters, there are other parks that do them better. DL is all about creating atmosphere in it's attractions. If it's not a full environment coaster like Space Mountain, it doesn't belong in a Disney theme park.

disney_leonard
08-17-2004, 01:19 PM
DCA has limited draw for most teenagers. California Screaming is a unique coaster and is up there with the best anywhere. As I understand it, Rockin RC is basically a "canned" coaster but with a Disney touch for the story and launch. But it is really a short ride which equals high capacity. While it would be nice to add a good attraction with a lot of appeal (like Rockin) I too would hate to give up Millionaire and Muppets (the last time I saw Hollywood Dine open was in 2001 during the grand opening- I'm pretty sure it's been open since but it wouldn't be a loss if replaced with something grand).

sediment
08-17-2004, 01:53 PM
Why does the Anaheim Property always have to lick the soup bowl clean after Florida eats its hearty meal? BAH!

Because, at WDW many, many people pay to get into the parks, and DO NOT COME if there is nothing new. AND they pay for food and souvenirs.
Here, many, many people come regardless of new attractions. And don't pay extra each time.
Now, who gets the shiny new attractions? Places that need it to keep people coming.
Long time ago, Disneyland had to keep improving or people wouldn't come. Long time ago, that is.

imagineerhopeful
08-17-2004, 02:22 PM
Because, at WDW many, many people pay to get into the parks, and DO NOT COME if there is nothing new. AND they pay for food and souvenirs.
Here, many, many people come regardless of new attractions. And don't pay extra each time.
Now, who gets the shiny new attractions? Places that need it to keep people coming.
Long time ago, Disneyland had to keep improving or people wouldn't come. Long time ago, that is.

Now I don't really like Al very much, but if he's right about the lackluster crowds at the Disneyland Resort, then it looks like a long time ago just bumped to now.

Not every AP is a Disney Freak and posts on fansites all the time, there are literally thousands who spend money on meals and trinkets when they visit.

So with these numbers, and a straggling new park, don't YOU think it would be a wise decision to get something NEW to draw these crowds back?

Word is out to locals, AP or not. DCA is a park full of bits and pieces from other parks, and they really do want something fresh.

Theres plenty of expansion space in DCA, and a reason to build on it. I fail to see why they continue to hold out with their Soap weekends and Pin trade events. They simply don't work.

I too would hate to give up Millionaire and Muppets (the last time I saw Hollywood Dine open was in 2001 during the grand opening- I'm pretty sure it's been open since but it wouldn't be a loss if replaced with something grand).

That mindset is really terrible. There is plenty of open and free space available and still, some Disney fans justify removing four attractions for another clone.

Rockin' Rollercoaster may be a decent ride, but far from "grand." And certainly not worth the loss of four attractions, poor attendance in them or otherwise.

Muppets, Millionaire, Limo, and H&D can be improved, not destroyed; along with a completely new attraction solely for DCA in the parking lot behind DCA. Wouldn't you prefer that to removing attractions from an already small theme park?