PDA

View Full Version : Why was Disneyland so busy today 8/14/04?

Disneyfreak
08-15-2004, 12:23 AM
I thought Al Lutz and all of the mouseplanet sources said that the crowds are light right now? Today it was very busy and there was a 95 min wait for Splash Mountain and a 60 min wait for matterhorn. So whats up with today? I am guessing that the closed attractions have something to do with it.

DCAWhites
08-15-2004, 12:31 AM
I went to downtown disney tonight, and even though I have worked it on really busy saturdays this summer, I was AMAZED at how crowded it was when our movie got out. Gridlock galore, and of course the lines for wetzels pretzels and haggen daaz were out the door and the tails of each line met. It was the first night in awhile where it was extremely difficult to get on a tram, but that was likely due to the fact that they werent using the northern loading area 20 minutes after the fireworks were over. However, dca was slow as usual.

BJW
08-15-2004, 01:50 AM
I thought Al Lutz and all of the mouseplanet sources said that the crowds are light right now? Today it was very busy and there was a 95 min wait for Splash Mountain and a 60 min wait for matterhorn. So whats up with today? I am guessing that the closed attractions have something to do with it. The wait times you mention are actually light for a summer Saturday. I've seen 3 hour waits for Splash before and 90 minute waits for the Matterhorn. I've even seen Pirates get to the 60 minute point before. You are right about closed attractions making it seem more crowded. With Space and Thunder down along with closed rides like the Subs, RR, etc. there is much less for people to do. However, the park is getting much less people than it did back when Indy opened. I think the park got somewhere between 16 or 17 million that year, whereas it seems like I read that it barely gets 11 or 12 million now, and thats with the APs.

I think lines as long as you describe for a smaller crowd are inexcusable. They need to get more rides running. Either fix Big Thunder or take it out. Get Space Mtn's refurb finished. Get Buzz open. Reopen the subs. Reopen PM or RR. Take out Pooh and build one big CBJ theatre. All of these things would lower the wait times and make the ride lines seem more like what they should be.

Photographer
08-15-2004, 05:32 AM
Ahh but the true test is, was anyone at CA Adventure?

Duane
08-15-2004, 08:04 AM
Disneyland is ALWAYS crowded. I have never been once since 1998 when the park wasn't packed beyong belief. I find it misleading when people post photographs of the park which lead you to believe there are small crowds. If you stand at any given spot in the park during the day, wait just a couple of minutes and you will find a break in the crowds to snap a quick picture. This will provide the illusion that attendance is weak. In the past, I have been vacationing at the Grand Californian and kept up with internet websites at the same time. It's comical to read the inaccurate reports posted about the parks. It can be seen that most claims made are not true. There are certain "individuals" who would like to see some major changes within the Disney Company, mainly at the Disneyland Resort, and they are willing to bend the truth in hopes of initiating some public outcry. Will their strategies work? Let's hope so!

AVP
08-15-2004, 10:07 AM
This will provide the illusion that attendance is weak. In the past, I have been vacationing at the Grand Californian and kept up with internet websites at the same time. It's comical to read the inaccurate reports posted about the parks.Has MousePlanet been reporting that crowds are light, and I somehow missed it? Because that certainly has not been my experience lately.

AVP

splashmtngurl
08-15-2004, 12:13 PM
I dont think mouseplanet has said that crowds are light but Disney and Al lutz at miceage sure have said it if you ask me! Okay so maybe they arent light but lighter than usual so to say!

DisneylandForever
08-15-2004, 12:15 PM
From my experience August has been consistently one of the busiest months of the year. Sure there are less people going because of the refurbs, but the ones who are going have less rides to go on, so it should sort of even out.

I'm going back for Labor Day weekend. Now that's brave! :p

olegc
08-15-2004, 10:05 PM
I have been in the park sometimes for just a few minutes and sometimes Main Street will seem light but I'll turn the corner into Adventureland and BOOM - run into a crowded, grid locked walkway..

As Duane stated - it's just the flow. Lots of folks in this world say "trust me" when the only thing you should trust is your own two eyes and LOTS of reports.. Especially in Disneyana since fandom is so rabid...

cstephens
08-15-2004, 10:48 PM
Everyone must have picked Saturday of this weekend to go to the resort because Sunday wasn't very crowded at all. We arrived at the parking structure around 2pm and noticed right away that there was hardly a crowd. The light crowds continued on the tram, in DCA and DL.

GrumpyUTboi
08-16-2004, 06:13 AM
Has anyone been to DL the day before and the day of Halloween? I would imagine that it would be busy then, right?

cstephens
08-16-2004, 10:24 AM
Has anyone been to DL the day before and the day of Halloween? I would imagine that it would be busy then, right?

It really depends on what day of the week it is. I've been there on Halloween, and the crowds pretty much echo the crowds you'd expect depending on whether it's a weekday or weekend.

sediment
08-16-2004, 10:52 AM
I think a lot of people who didn't go on 8/13 made up for it on 8/14.

Or, with all the "light crowds" publicity, people thought it time to go back.
Pulling an Inverse Yogi: "Everyone goes there, because it's not crowded."