PDA

View Full Version : Blue Bayou to serve alcohol

Karin
03-31-2021, 12:00 PM
"The Blue Bayou will serve beer, sparkling wine and Hurricane cocktails when the New Orleans Square restaurant returns after Disneyland reopens on April 30.

Disneyland made the decision to add alcohol to the Blue Bayou menu after the park’s food and beverage team received thousands of requests over the years from international travelers and young adult visitors for more beer, wine and cocktail options at the restaurant.

Booze at the Blue Bayou will break with a long-standing prohibition on alcohol in Disneyland instituted by Walt Disney — who worried about attracting the wrong crowd who frequented seedy seaside amusement parks in the 1940s and ’50s.

The addition of beer, wine and cocktails to the Blue Bayou menu is intended to compliment the New Orleans-inspired food and theme of the restaurant and elevate the culinary experience.

The alcohol menu will include a sparkling wine package served with dessert as well as a Hurricane blended cocktail made popular in New Orleans. Non-alcoholic seasonal varieties of the New Orleans Square mint julep will also be introduced."

Full article here (https://www.dailybulletin.com/2021/03/31/disneyland-adding-a-second-place-to-buy-alcohol-in-the-park/?utm_content=fb-dailybulletin&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialflow&fbclid=IwAR3YZymrX1DRLZ-VFk50y1YF53evRklaR7P2z1nWpvUdYC_9t7RwRJ-OMfo).

olegc
03-31-2021, 05:08 PM
there's already long beer lines at DCA - even in the morning a little after opening. The narrower walkways in Disneyland may see some impact should the expansion continue as some observers have claimed. I guess I'll never understand "the need" to have a drink- though Disneyland is visited by as many adult couples out for entertaining evening as much as families are out there - so the demand has grown as the guest mix has changed over the years. I have seen a couple of instances of drunk incidents with multi-security personnel outcomes at DCA but those have been few and far between. For the most part it has not been that much of an impact there. If they keep this to restaurants and not allow people to walk around with the drinks I think thats a good compromise. I read one person's post today that said they had not been able to go to Blue Bayou for years because the spouse couldnt possibly have a steak without red wine. I think thats a lot more than an alcohol demand question ;-).

AnotherJenny
03-31-2021, 11:09 PM
How would having alcohol at Blue Bayou impact walkways? You can't line up to buy a drink that you can walk around with like you can in DCA. They already fill all of the reservations practically every day. This will bring up the average price of each check.

Berry Princess
03-31-2021, 11:12 PM
I like to have a drink from time to time with a meal but its not something I care to do when I am with my kids in theme parks. Even at the ages of my kids now, I just do not do it. I have seen so many parents walk through DCA 2 fisting it and pushing a stroller with toddlers in it. I've always looked at this as I am the responsible one for them so why would I do that? It just don't get the whole "I need *insert booze drink* with my meal" excuse either. If you can't eat something without then yes it might be a problem. I am not a fan of this change to Blue Bayou. Even if one can't walk the park with it, it doesn't mean they aren't drinking to much between the 2 parks and DTD. I always think about how many could be driving not to long after their drinks as well. I think Walt Disney was right in not having it and his reasoning. There are many issues that have come up over time in DCA because of it and its also leaked into DL at times as well where you can smell it on the people and they are almost in fights with others for the littlest things. IMO the more alcohol is offered the more chances of issues coming up.

GrumpyGoofyGuy
04-01-2021, 06:27 AM
Doesn't Club 33 have a full bar? So the well off crowd has been able to partake even hard liquor since the early days of Disneyland when Walt was alive, correct?

june1st1997
04-01-2021, 06:44 AM
Doesn't Club 33 have a full bar? So the well off crowd has been able to partake even hard liquor since the early days of Disneyland when Walt was alive, correct?

Not sure if it's a full bar, but they do serve alcohol. There is also a dress code. And if I'm remembering clearly, a prixe fix menu. But I'm not sure what the point is. It's a private club, not a theme park open to the public. It happens to be located in a theme park.

If someone is desperate to drink, they can go to any one of the hotels. In fact Grand CA is close. They can drink there. I agree, if you NEED a drink with dinner, that might be an indictor of something else.

I don't see the point in framing it as a "have and have not" situation.

olegc
04-01-2021, 09:02 AM
How would having alcohol at Blue Bayou impact walkways? You can't line up to buy a drink that you can walk around with like you can in DCA. They already fill all of the reservations practically every day. This will bring up the average price of each check.

not blue bayou.. if Disneyland decided to grow this service for guests and provide it on carts like they do at DCA - then its a possibility in the future. Thats what I was referring to.

olegc
04-01-2021, 09:04 AM
Club 33 has Salon Nouvoux inside - which is a true bar and small bites..
and, as mentioned, its totally private so not really impacting the average guest.

AnotherJenny
04-01-2021, 09:20 AM
not blue bayou.. if Disneyland decided to grow this service for guests and provide it on carts like they do at DCA - then its a possibility in the future. Thats what I was referring to.

You used the exact same strawman argument the last time this topic came up. They are serving alcohol at table service. I don't see how lines for alcohol impact anyone at DCA except the people waiting in lines. If there is a cart at Disneyland that so offends you, choose another walkway.

olegc
04-01-2021, 10:04 AM
You used the exact same strawman argument the last time this topic came up. They are serving alcohol at table service. I don't see how lines for alcohol impact anyone at DCA except the people waiting in lines. If there is a cart at Disneyland that so offends you, choose another walkway.

wow - thanks for remembering...
To me - and its my opinion so forgive me for having one - DCA is wider so its not an issue. And its a possibility, not a probability. Thanks for playing...

jcruise86
04-02-2021, 05:14 AM
Here's an edited list of drinks at Olga's Cantina in Galaxy's Edge that was on Disney Parks Blog:

Concoctions with Alcohol

Featuring a wide range of classic and unique spirits found throughout the galaxy with a mixture of tastes and flavors to liven your taste buds.

Morning Specialties

. . . Bloody Rancor – vodka, chile liqueur, spicy Bloody Mary mix, and rancor bone

Afternoon and Evening Specialties

Fuzzy Tauntaun – peach vodka, peach schnapps, orange juice with tangerine, pure cane sugar, and “buzzz” foam

Jedi Mind Trick – grapefruit and rose vodka, falernum [may or may not have alcohol], blue curaçao, white grape juice, lime juice, and grapefruit bitters

The Outer Rim – silver tequila, açaí liqueur, lime juice, pure cane sugar, black salt, and exotic fruit purée

T-16 Skyhopper – vodka, melon liqueur, kiwi, and half & half

Dagobah Slug Slinger – reposado tequila, blue curaçao, citrus juices, ginger, herbs, and bitters

Jet Juice – bourbon, chile liqueur, açaí liqueur, white grape juice, and lemon juice

Yub Nub – pineapple rum, spiced rum, citrus juices, and passion fruit

Bespin Fizz – rum, yuzu purée, pomegranate juice, white cranberry juice, and cloud swirl

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2020/01/must-try-drinks-at-ogas-cantina-at-star-wars-galaxys-edge/

currence
04-02-2021, 10:51 AM
Concoctions with Alcohol

Featuring a wide range of classic and unique spirits found throughout the galaxy with a mixture of tastes and flavors to liven your taste buds.

I'm not entirely sure what your point is/was in posting this? (which isn't to suggest that you don't have one, more that I should probably go drink more coffee)

I think the difference with Olga's cantina vs. a traditional bar is that many of the ingredients are pre-mixed, and the bartenders are combining mixtures vs. mixing drinks. For instance, in a traditional bar, you could tell the bartender that you wanted the Fuzzy Tauntaun with only peach vodka/peach schnapps but not both, or perhaps hold the pure cane sugar, and they could. I'm not sure that's possible at Olga's. Or maybe based on liquor laws they have the alcohol separately and all the mix-ins pre-combined, again I'm not sure. But when I've sat at the bar area it didn't look like they were combining every ingredient for every drink. And they definitely don't have alcohol that isn't used in one of their concoctions. I'm also unaware of any "secret" menus where you can go in and play with the available ingredients to create your own concoctions (although now that I've typed this, I kinda want to see if that is possible when the parks reopen - I'm pretty sure it was the vodka I didn't like in the Skyhopper and I would be interested in trying that again with a different alcohol or even with just the melon liqueur).

AnotherJenny
04-02-2021, 12:46 PM
Here's an edited list of drinks at Olga's Cantina in Galaxy's Edge that was on Disney Parks Blog:

Concoctions with Alcohol

Morning Specialties

. . . Bloody Rancor – vodka, chile liqueur, spicy Bloody Mary mix, and rancor bone

Afternoon and Evening Specialties

Fuzzy Tauntaun – peach vodka, peach schnapps, orange juice with tangerine, pure cane sugar, and “buzzz” foam

Jedi Mind Trick – grapefruit and rose vodka, falernum [may or may not have alcohol], blue curaçao, white grape juice, lime juice, and grapefruit bitters

The Outer Rim – silver tequila, açaí liqueur, lime juice, pure cane sugar, black salt, and exotic fruit purée

T-16 Skyhopper – vodka, melon liqueur, kiwi, and half & half

Dagobah Slug Slinger – reposado tequila, blue curaçao, citrus juices, ginger, herbs, and bitters

Jet Juice – bourbon, chile liqueur, açaí liqueur, white grape juice, and lemon juice

Yub Nub – pineapple rum, spiced rum, citrus juices, and passion fruit

Bespin Fizz – rum, yuzu purée, pomegranate juice, white cranberry juice, and cloud swirl

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2020/01/must-try-drinks-at-ogas-cantina-at-star-wars-galaxys-edge/

How much of each type of alcohol is in those drinks and how much other liquid? Not all drinks contain an equal amount of alcohol.

olegc
04-05-2021, 08:17 AM
How much of each type of alcohol is in those drinks and how much other liquid? Not all drinks contain an equal amount of alcohol.

thats a good question. I dont think Disney has posted the actual amount in each beverage. Maybe one recipe or two has shown up on the blog. For me personally Im definitely feeling it after 2 drinks at Oga's no food - and Im a 235 pound man at 5'9". I know its different for each person - but I think there is a typical amount you'd find in any specialty drink at a bar. As was posted above - all of these are mixed in advance and delivered via spigot - so I wonder if the buckets or barrells or whatever need to be churned to ensure that the alcohol stays even in all of the drinks.

sjhanksaz
04-10-2021, 02:55 PM
Hope people can control their intake

We were in Disney World last month and watched a fight almost break out after the park closed when we were waiting for the skyliner between two pretty drunk people. Lots of yelling and F-Bombs even with people asking them to keep it down because of all the kids. Security came before fist starting flying but it was not good.

They both had a little too much liquid courage.

Berry Princess
04-10-2021, 03:46 PM
Hope people can control their intake

We were in Disney World last month and watched a fight almost break out after the park closed when we were waiting for the skyliner between two pretty drunk people. Lots of yelling and F-Bombs even with people asking them to keep it down because of all the kids. Security came before fist starting flying but it was not good.

They both had a little too much liquid courage.

YIKES! Glad security got there before it got worse. I know I've seen this in Disneyland before as well. You could smell it on them and all it takes is a accidental bump to start something. We were waiting for the Electrical Parade over near Small World when that is what happened. One guy went off on the other for bumping into him. A lady cast member right there jumped in the middle of it and just kept repeating for each party to move along in different directions. How she managed to get them to I will never know but she did. Its happened in DCA plenty over the years with some guests recording that stuff. Sadly though I think that as long as the alcohol can be bought in the area there will be some problems that come with it and of course plenty that will be responsible too. It just always seems the more options given for drinking the more issues pop up. The area in my city where most the bars are together seem to have a lot of those issues as well. What is a bit much are the ones that make comments like how their meal will be better because they can have an alcoholic drink there now (does that mean the meal wasn't good before? LOL) or those that talk about how they NEED it to enjoy the place. SMH I assume that BB though will be similar to Ogga's in that it has a max. you can have (2 drinks) and that is it. Yet if its a 2 max, I wonder how it will end up with the wait for the next guests to be able to get in and served.

BTW, I've seen so many stories for years about Epcot having a lot of issues because of the alcohol. I just saw some people comment that Disney Springs was pretty bad recently as well with the rowdiness.

currence
04-11-2021, 12:47 PM
What is a bit much are the ones that make comments like how their meal will be better because they can have an alcoholic drink there now (does that mean the meal wasn't good before? LOL)

Have you dined at BB recently? I haven't, because it was consistently disappointing for the price. I am NOT a big drinker, but that is one location where I might agree would taste better with a bit of alcohol. I would assume that most people would be served alcohol with their appetizers and/or dinner and the only possible time delay compared to a non-alcoholic meal would be is someone needed additional time to review the menu/order. But if it's the fairly limited choices that it appears, I don't expect that serving alcohol will add any significant time to the meal.

Berry Princess
04-11-2021, 01:16 PM
Have you dined at BB recently? I haven't, because it was consistently disappointing for the price. I am NOT a big drinker, but that is one location where I might agree would taste better with a bit of alcohol. I would assume that most people would be served alcohol with their appetizers and/or dinner and the only possible time delay compared to a non-alcoholic meal would be is someone needed additional time to review the menu/order. But if it's the fairly limited choices that it appears, I don't expect that serving alcohol will add any significant time to the meal.

Its been a few years and the only time I would go was when my friend was visiting and we did a girls weekend at the parks. We only go for lunch for the Monte Cristo. Which last time there though it was all fine. Can't say the same for the 1/2 version my husband and I got at ATOD though. NEVER have I had one that was soaked with grease like that before or burnt. It was easy to hide it since it was the bottom of them. Yet I will say I wouldn't go some place that I thought I needed to have a drink to cover up the way the food tasted. It seems a waste of money and time. I will saw that at this point after what we got severed at ATOD I wouldn't go to BB for anything if I knew that was how it was going to end up. I know some will no matter what was being served to them just because its the BB.

GrumpyGoofyGuy
04-12-2021, 07:08 AM
We haven't been to BB for a few years since the prices went beyond our comfort zone for food. Getting a table riverside was always our plan back in the day so we waited longer if that was necessary to make that happen. The last couple times we went it was part of a package for the Main Street Electrical Parade and the Mystic package during the Halloween party. Those seemed like a good spend to us since there was entertainment and reserve viewing included. Although I might be tempted to order an alcoholic beverage if it was available, that isn't a necessary for my dining pleasure and would probably be more $ than I'd want to spend.

Edit: My wife says if we go back again she would order a drink just because we're at Disneyland and who cares if the drinks are $15. So I guess I'm just a tightwad LOL!