PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Forward...

olegc
03-25-2021, 01:39 PM
Here come the new price increases....
https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2021-03-25/disneyland-forward-proposal-shops-attractions-parking-resorts
https://www.micechat.com/286075-breaking-news-disneyland-resort-future-expansion-details/

Berry Princess
03-25-2021, 04:13 PM
ABC7 has it on there site now too and I know its up on here as well. They need to first get the city on board with all that. What about the residents that live behind that area? If you go to the site Disney has set up for this its interesting they have a section "Get Involved" and has 3 options to check off if you give them your info. First is yes, I support DisneylandForward. Second is yes, you may list my name publicly as a supporter and last yes, I would like to attend or set up a presentation for my neighborhood or organization (which I assume is why everyone keeps mentioning that Disney is not seeking public funds). That last option I take it is in hopes of getting residents nearby involved to help push this with the city council to approve rezoning things and such.

BTW, I said to my husband as well that there is going to be a big price hike to go with this if it happens like they want. Toss in I can see the Paradise Pier Hotel and Disneyland Hotel hiking them up even more as well to go with it being around them.

GrumpyGoofyGuy
03-26-2021, 08:34 AM
They have price increases every year. Some years, the increase is larger than other years. It's never going to change, at least not in any of our lifetimes. Will there even be Annual Passes anymore? They may just have some kind of membership program where you get some minimal discounts. You local people have been effected the most by the end of the AP program. The only given is that things will never be the same, and will be more expensive going forward.

olegc
03-26-2021, 12:29 PM
They have price increases every year. Some years, the increase is larger than other years. It's never going to change, at least not in any of our lifetimes. Will there even be Annual Passes anymore? They may just have some kind of membership program where you get some minimal discounts. You local people have been effected the most by the end of the AP program. The only given is that things will never be the same, and will be more expensive going forward.

true - but now you will see bigger jumps. and frankly a lot of what is presented is blue sky IMO. A way to get the public on board and sign up to be advocates on behalf of Disney to the City of Anaheim.

Berry Princess
03-26-2021, 02:51 PM
true - but now you will see bigger jumps. and frankly a lot of what is presented is blue sky IMO. A way to get the public on board and sign up to be advocates on behalf of Disney to the City of Anaheim.

Now its on their official blog as well. They are REALLY pushing it all over as much as they can. I am curious where their city council's feelings are when it comes to Disney. We have seen many that are pro Disney and deals but I know over the years there seemed to have been a shift in that area. I'm not a fan of the whole "advocates" on behalf of a project/company/etc like this. I've seen it in my own city and its always outsiders that don't live here that will want whatever pushed through when they don't have to live around it or deal with the final results. I can see this being that way as well with how Disney has it to sign up and give "presentations" to neighbors and organizations. Which also in turn won't cost Disney much (if anything) by getting people that volunteer to do this stuff. At this point I'd like to know what the neighborhood that would be affected by all this has to say.

olegc
03-28-2021, 10:17 PM
Now its on their official blog as well. They are REALLY pushing it all over as much as they can. I am curious where their city council's feelings are when it comes to Disney. We have seen many that are pro Disney and deals but I know over the years there seemed to have been a shift in that area. I'm not a fan of the whole "advocates" on behalf of a project/company/etc like this. I've seen it in my own city and its always outsiders that don't live here that will want whatever pushed through when they don't have to live around it or deal with the final results. I can see this being that way as well with how Disney has it to sign up and give "presentations" to neighbors and organizations. Which also in turn won't cost Disney much (if anything) by getting people that volunteer to do this stuff. At this point I'd like to know what the neighborhood that would be affected by all this has to say.

city council and mayor a few years ago (around the 60th) were anti-disney. Today the mayor and I think more than half the council are favorable. So it turned quickly.

Berry Princess
03-28-2021, 10:58 PM
city council and mayor a few years ago (around the 60th) were anti-disney. Today the mayor and I think more than half the council are favorable. So it turned quickly.

Gotcha. I knew they weren't at one point but didn't know what happened after this last round of elections. I wonder how well they listen to their city's residents when they may speak up about this and hear their concerns about it. As well as how many will be showing up or email from other cities/states to be all in favor for it that won't have to live around it and deal with the final outcome. I saw a couple of brutal comments about how Disney should just buy up the neighborhood back there. Yet they don't get how the neighborhood isn't just that spot but keeps going and then it comes to more on either side. Toss in the way that would look for Disney. There is no way that would ever happen and couldn't believe some would even think such a thing would be ok. SMH While its all nice and dandy that Disney is trying to find a way to expand the 2 parks in the space available to them but those living back there need to be taken into consideration with how this will effect their lives everyday. Will be something to watch how it plays out though.

Promo-Man
03-29-2021, 08:53 AM

I know that is your opinion, but they were not anti-Disney but pro Anaheim wanting a better balance on where our money was being spent within Anaheim. I know it seemed that they were anti-Disney but that was not the case.

olegc
03-29-2021, 11:08 AM
I know that is your opinion, but they were not anti-Disney but pro Anaheim wanting a better balance on where our money was being spent within Anaheim. I know it seemed that they were anti-Disney but that was not the case.

I think its more of how one views the diamond (or the elephant) from their perspective. It is true that the previous mayor and some council members didnt want to simply kowtow to Disney - in order to ensure that the city's benefit needs were considered first, whereas previous administrations for the most part voted in lock step with Disney. Now Disney got smart to try and get the community behind them to ensure that they had strong backing to show the council (in case they need it).

Promo-Man
03-29-2021, 03:32 PM
I am excited about Disneyland Forward and what it means for the Disneyland Resort and the City of Anaheim. At the moment it is all pie in the sky, I only hope that all of the partners in the Resort Area can come together and brainstorm a deal that benefits everyone.

currence
03-29-2021, 04:48 PM
I am excited about Disneyland Forward and what it means for the Disneyland Resort and the City of Anaheim. At the moment it is all pie in the sky, I only hope that all of the partners in the Resort Area can come together and brainstorm a deal that benefits everyone.

I expect that more local businesses are willing to see Disney as a partner post-Covid, and it definitely seems that Disney is trying to take a more collaborative approach to consensus building.

One of the things that my dad kept from his childhood, was a drawstring bag with a few silver dollars. Apparently his dad worked for the town's major employers, who to make a point as to their impact in the community, paid all of their employees one week in cash, in coins. I read somewhere that it amounted to 12 tons of silver dollars. And as those coins circulated throughout town, the community was reminded of the importance of that particular employer.

Disney didn't have to do that - having their parks shut down for a year through no fault of their own has accomplished the same thing.

sjhanksaz
03-31-2021, 06:36 AM
I am looking forward to what Disney will be doing with this park.

I never thought this would happen due to all the development around the park.

Promo-Man
03-31-2021, 07:41 AM
As a resident of Anaheim, I recently received a communication from Disney on Disneyland Forward.
In it they state that they want more flexibility to modify their plans for their property.
The two big things that are stated is that this is regarding property that they presently own and that they are not seeking any public funding.
In the past with the proposed eastside parking structure there was concerns on how and where guest staying at the hotels along Harbor Blvd would inter to go though security. That would still need to be resolved.
One of the exciting parts of the expansion is the access to the expansion from Disneyland and California Adventure.

Dave1313
03-31-2021, 08:18 PM
One of the exciting parts of the expansion is the access to the expansion from Disneyland and California Adventure.

While I'm not following this as closely as those of you who live in the DL area, I find this interesting too. (Well, what I'm about to describe I guess would apply even without connecting the parks in ways other than the common Esplanade, but it's seems to offer a lot more flexibility with the interconnections from each current park to the new one)

I will be very curious to see how they handle the gate tickets for combinations of the parks.

Will it remain similar to how it was with two parks when adding this third gate, with the major options being a single park ticket or simply adding on the hopping ability for an up-charge, but now it would be three parks instead of two(obviously the up-charge would be more than it currently is for the 2 parks if they go this route)?

Or might they offer more flexibility of different combinations at different price points, depending on which combination you want (the options being DL + new park, DCA + new Park, DL+DCA, and finally All three parks as the options?)? This would seem to allow for lesser priced tickets for those who still want access similar to the DL and DCA access available now, but would allow for the large up-charge we can all imagine for those who really want the "all access" experience during their visit.

It will definitely be interesting to see what they do. (of course, first it will be interesting to see if the project ends up becoming reality in this form ;) )

Berry Princess
03-31-2021, 08:42 PM
Its not a third park. Its actually plans to expand DCA to the side by Paradise Pier Hotel and DL by Disneyland Hotel. So wouldn't be surprised if tickets took a bigger jump than normal to get in either DCA or DL if they get approval for all of this to happen. Which is something people have to remember is this is more than just going to city council. It also needs to pass with the planning commission the city has as well. If planning commission sees concerns they could turn Disney down. Which if that happens it could end up like we saw in my city recently, where a city council member decided to go over the planning commission turning the one developer down and so city council overrode what planning commission new was a bad idea. No one considers those that have to live around it all and that needs to be taken into consideration with how this will affect those people over the years and what Disney will do to try to keep noise down that they normally don't get when the parks would be running now. Mix in adding to an already bad area for traffic.

Dave1313
03-31-2021, 09:03 PM
Its not a third park. ......

Oops.... my bad for not reading more thoroughly into the details before posting!:eek: I skimmed and saw the map of the area (maybe I was tired when I read the first material a few days ago, no excuse, I know.....). Unfortunately I'm just outside the 30 minute edit window, so I can't edit my earlier post.

Definitely agree on all the other points you mention. I am sure it can be a bit much even with just the Hotels and parking there for the residents living on those streets just on the other side of the DL Hotel. Obviously this will be much worse in the noise department. And the parking... yeah... this can't make that part of a visit easier, that's for sure.

Berry Princess
03-31-2021, 09:30 PM
Oops.... my bad for not reading more thoroughly into the details before posting!:eek: I skimmed and saw the map of the area (maybe I was tired when I read the first material a few days ago, no excuse, I know.....). Unfortunately I'm just outside the 30 minute edit window, so I can't edit my earlier post.

Definitely agree on all the other points you mention. I am sure it can be a bit much even with just the Hotels and parking there for the residents living on those streets just on the other side of the DL Hotel. Obviously this will be much worse in the noise department. And the parking... yeah... this can't make that part of a visit easier, that's for sure.

No worries. I know some sites were actually saying it was going to be a third park so its adding to the confusion of it all.

olegc
03-31-2021, 09:45 PM
I was going to add but BP gave a great overview.

Another thing to remember though - these are not the plans you think they are. These are all possibilities not actual plans. What ifs, blue sky, if we could do anything... And they used a lot of ideas from HK, Shanghai, and Tokyo parks as drop ins. So everything you see is not official. In fact - it could be nothing is official.

It's all intended to spark excitement and good will with residents and other businesses on order to have the city council change the master plan and allow Disney its own discretion to out whatever they want on land they own. Today their lands is cut up into zones where they are allowed to have hotel, retail, theme park, parking, etc. Disney wants to change that - letting it have its own say on everything and creating mixed use environments.

The issue there lies not only with crowd and traffic but number of jobs, types of jobs, service usage projections, etc. It's not clear whether disney wants all the rules to be peeled back for their property or just what can be built (and they'd be willing to continue to provide info for traffic and worker environment impacts).

Job 1 for them right now is to change the rules. None of what you might even start getting designed until 2023, which means it won't be finished until 2026 earliest. That includes any lowering of Disneyland Drive (if they keep their designs).

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

currence
03-31-2021, 10:00 PM
No worries. I know some sites were actually saying it was going to be a third park so its adding to the confusion of it all.

It looks to me like Disney is trying to change the zoning classifications so that any of the areas could be a theme park, parking, shopping, hotel, etc., instead of each area being restricted to one category and there being more hurdles to overcome to build something outside of the assigned zoning. if/when that happens, Disney could then change their plans from what is currently proposed, including a potential 3rd park. I could easily see Disney figuring out a way to put a 3rd park where the original Disneyland hotel and Paradise Pier Hotel and parking area are now, potentially with a hotel entrance similar to Disneyland Paris. that is NOT what is being proposed.

A neighborhood near me had surplus military land that was sold to private developers, who spent over a decade trying to change the zoning so that 2,300 new homes could be built. It was finally sold to a new developer who reached an agreement with the planning commission for approximately 700 homes. Not surprisingly, these will be bigger/more expensive homes, but they will also have a smaller impact on traffic/local schools. it was an interesting standoff between people who wanted "affordable" housing (most of the units would have been market rate/relatively expensive, but not as expensive as the bigger homes now being built) and those who were concerned with traffic impacts.

I understand why Disney would not be advertising the possibility of a 3rd park at this time. If they get the zoning changed, then they can start designing a possible 3rd park. But if Disney mentions it now, it could bring out protesters who don't think it should be built and/or create problems in the future when people complain that it wasn't built soon enough/as pitched/etc.

Berry Princess
03-31-2021, 10:50 PM
I understand why Disney would not be advertising the possibility of a 3rd park at this time. If they get the zoning changed, then they can start designing a possible 3rd park. But if Disney mentions it now, it could bring out protesters who don't think it should be built and/or create problems in the future when people complain that it wasn't built soon enough/as pitched/etc.

This right here could bring out many on both sides of this issue. This is why I am not a fan of how they are pushing for people to sign up and help push it. To many that do not live in the area and are not even in this county, let alone state, will push for it to happen with the rezoning because they are just looking at the pictures assuming that is how it will end up or do it just because its Disney. Yet they do not grasp the impact of those living there dealing with it all day in and out...heck some might not even care at all.

I agree that Disney can ask for the rezoning changes with other plans in place they aren't mentioning (like a 3rd park). It happens all the time where someone/business will say they want to rezone an area for use in one way and they come back after approve with something else complete opposite of what they claimed originally. Its been happening here off and on for years now with developers. I'm sure it does in other cities as well...like you saw in your own.

olegc
04-01-2021, 08:40 AM
It looks to me like Disney is trying to change the zoning classifications so that any of the areas could be a theme park, parking, shopping, hotel, etc., instead of each area being restricted to one category and there being more hurdles to overcome to build something outside of the assigned zoning. if/when that happens, Disney could then change their plans from what is currently proposed, including a potential 3rd park. I could easily see Disney figuring out a way to put a 3rd park where the original Disneyland hotel and Paradise Pier Hotel and parking area are now, potentially with a hotel entrance similar to Disneyland Paris. that is NOT what is being proposed.

A neighborhood near me had surplus military land that was sold to private developers, who spent over a decade trying to change the zoning so that 2,300 new homes could be built. It was finally sold to a new developer who reached an agreement with the planning commission for approximately 700 homes. Not surprisingly, these will be bigger/more expensive homes, but they will also have a smaller impact on traffic/local schools. it was an interesting standoff between people who wanted "affordable" housing (most of the units would have been market rate/relatively expensive, but not as expensive as the bigger homes now being built) and those who were concerned with traffic impacts.

This right here could bring out many on both sides of this issue. This is why I am not a fan of how they are pushing for people to sign up and help push it. To many that do not live in the area and are not even in this county, let alone state, will push for it to happen with the rezoning because they are just looking at the pictures assuming that is how it will end up or do it just because its Disney. Yet they do not grasp the impact of those living there dealing with it all day in and out...heck some might not even care at all.

I agree that Disney can ask for the rezoning changes with other plans in place they aren't mentioning (like a 3rd park). It happens all the time where someone/business will say they want to rezone an area for use in one way and they come back after approve with something else complete opposite of what they claimed originally. Its been happening here off and on for years now with developers. I'm sure it does in other cities as well...like you saw in your own.

i watched a video from FreshBaked that examined the area occupied by TS parking lot, the hotels, and current parks individually. it was evident that the hotels space and the TS lot space are not as big as Disneyland or DCA - so it would be difficult to put in a complete 3rd gate. I believe Disney is sincere when they say they want to build similar experiences that exist in the nonUS parks for combined shopping/dining/attraction experiences. Disney Springs has been mentioned as another example but I guess the balloon and the aquacar I dont see as "attractions". IN any case - this would require the rezoning they are seeking.