PDA

View Full Version : Ice Cream & Hot Dogs on the Rise (ODV)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

snappy
08-13-2004, 01:06 PM
All Ice cream bars are going up by 0.25 cents by August 19th.....
Old price: $3.00---New Price:---$3.25
Old Price: $3.25---New Price:---$3.50

Hot dogs are going up by 0.75 cents by August 19th....
Old Price: $4.25---New Price:---$5.00 ouch....
Combo from: $7.00 to $7:75
(Hot dog & chips or soda, same)

Dlandmom
08-13-2004, 01:21 PM
Ouch is right!

mystycalchyk
08-13-2004, 01:23 PM
$5 for a hot dog??
:eek:
good grief!!!

AlxVision360
08-13-2004, 03:29 PM
Our family's gonna have to start sharing hot dogs and ice cream bars! :mad: :crying:

I can't believe that foodstuffs have gone up in cost enough to justify a price increase. Not a good move for improving public relations and guest satisfaction IMHO.

Hakuna Makarla
08-13-2004, 03:52 PM
holy cow!! and I can get one down the street from me 3 for a buck! and the ice cream truck ( the one that plays that loud music and goes up and down the town) for 75 cents! Man you told me the prices in the park were wild, now I believe it!

RStar
08-13-2004, 04:33 PM
Seems like just a short while ago I was paying $2.00 for the ice cream. WOW! :(

SCUBAbe
08-13-2004, 06:31 PM
holy cow!! and I can get one down the street from me 3 for a buck! and the ice cream truck ( the one that plays that loud music and goes up and down the town) for 75 cents! Man you told me the prices in the park were wild, now I believe it!
yeah..the prices are outrageous. A bottle of coke is $2.75...you can get it for $1.19 anywhere else , or less. The squeeze you for every penny once you are in...

Disneyfreak
08-13-2004, 06:40 PM
I like the new prices. It encourages people to go to the restaurants instead of the stupid odv carts. :)
There is always a reason behind their madness. I think Matt is doing that to have an excuse to get rid of the odv carts thus being able to bring more restaurants if they are doing well. :)
Good move Matt.

sediment
08-13-2004, 06:51 PM
And, if everyone keeps buying them, he can take the money and pour it into the lagoon.
And raise prices even more!

Disneyfreak
08-13-2004, 07:00 PM
And, if everyone keeps buying them, he can take the money and pour it into the lagoon.
And raise prices even more!

Exactly, it is a very good move in my opinion. I never buy that junk on the odv carts except ice cream. I dont even eat ice cream very often either. I may buy some like once every 5-6 visits. I dont like contributing to the clutter.

SCUBAbe
08-13-2004, 07:59 PM
Exactly, it is a very good move in my opinion. I never buy that junk on the odv carts except ice cream. I dont even eat ice cream very often either. I may buy some like once every 5-6 visits. I dont like contributing to the clutter.
in an extreme "I need a drink NOW" moment I will buy a soda or water. I never but the ice cream off the cart. Oh, and once we bought fresh strawberries w/chocolate syrup...:)

rentayenta
08-13-2004, 09:33 PM
Wow! Luckily my kids don't really like hot dogs and they are still young enough to share an ice cream :fez:

Next it will be popcorn and churros :crying:

PapiBear
08-13-2004, 09:49 PM
Good Lord. $5.00 for a HOT DOG? I can buy 5 packs of hot dogs for $5.00 at my local supermarket! That is just insane.

I don't even think movie theaters charge $5.00 for a hot dog. Well, not YET anyway. (By the way, didja know that the average cost for a medium-sized box of popcorn costs the theaters only $.14? That's right - fourteen cents. Even if they charged us only $1.00 for that box of popcorn, they'd be making a HUGE profit. Think about that next time you're in line at the concession stand. And after that, eat before you go to the theater.)

What kind of an idiot pays $5.00 for a hot dog? Please, somebody show me a picture of such a person.

A bottle of Coke is $2.75? I can get 2 1/2 2-liters for that. Again, what kind of an idiot pays almost $3 for 20 ounces of flavored sugar water?

If you're thirsty, drink the Tomorrowland Lagoon. Just lean over the railing and stick your head in and start sipping. That'll encourage Matt to step up the improvements on it. And to get the food prices back to a humanly reasonable level.

SCUBAbe
08-13-2004, 10:50 PM
If you're thirsty, drink the Tomorrowland Lagoon. Just lean over the railing and stick your head in and start sipping. That'll encourage Matt to step up the improvements on it. And to get the food prices back to a humanly reasonable level.well, you don;t have to go that far. There's always the cloudy drinking fountain water. I filled my water bottle with it once and I couldn't even see through it. *yuck*...that was a spend the $2.75 on the bottle of water moment. LOL

also, they don't need to lower the prices, because people still buy it. They will reach a level where sales will decline slightly and they will probably leave it there, but as long as there are people willing to spend the money the prices will increase. People kind of make fun of me when I loose money in vegas. They always say I'm just throwing my money away. Well, I do the same thig at disneyland and I don;t even get to watch the wheel spin, throw the dice or get a black Jack....*sigh*

DCAWhites
08-13-2004, 11:11 PM
Wow....its like as if the thousands of dollars some of the carts bring in each day with VERY minimal expense wasn't enough....

PapiBear
08-13-2004, 11:21 PM
well, you don;t have to go that far. There's always the cloudy drinking fountain water. I filled my water bottle with it once and I couldn't even see through it. *yuck*...that was a spend the $2.75 on the bottle of water moment. LOL

also, they don't need to lower the prices, because people still buy it. They will reach a level where sales will decline slightly and they will probably leave it there, but as long as there are people willing to spend the money the prices will increase. People kind of make fun of me when I loose money in vegas. They always say I'm just throwing my money away. Well, I do the same thig at disneyland and I don;t even get to watch the wheel spin, throw the dice or get a black Jack....*sigh*

Sounds like you no longer need the Astroglide. :D

As long as there are suckers in the world willing to spend inordinate sums on a half-buttocked show where most of the attractions are down for repairs/refurbishment and food costs 3 to 4 times what it does a few miles away, Disney will never see a reduction in revenue that might spark serious and immediate changes at the park.

All I know is that Walt, Card Walker, and Ron Miller were able to accomplish quite a bit without gouging the park guests.

By the way, bottled water can be purchased outside the park for much less, transferred to your own container, and brought into the park. You get clean water and more money to blow on $5 sausages (are they even kosher? For $5 they better be giant-sized Nathan's Famous dogs or the same as the ones you get at Pink's in Hollywood).

SCUBAbe
08-14-2004, 12:04 AM
Sounds like you no longer need the Astroglide. :D

As long as there are suckers in the world willing to spend inordinate sums on a half-buttocked show where most of the attractions are down for repairs/refurbishment and food costs 3 to 4 times what it does a few miles away, Disney will never see a reduction in revenue that might spark serious and immediate changes at the park.

All I know is that Walt, Card Walker, and Ron Miller were able to accomplish quite a bit without gouging the park guests.

By the way, bottled water can be purchased outside the park for much less, transferred to your own container, and brought into the park. You get clean water and more money to blow on $5 sausages (are they even kosher? For $5 they better be giant-sized Nathan's Famous dogs or the same as the ones you get at Pink's in Hollywood).
this is all true, but when you are in the park it's a PITA to leave and buy stuff and then come back. Especially if it's a day trip. When we stay in the hotels we do BYOB (bring you own beverage). I don't eat meat so they can charge whatever they want for those hot dogs. I will never buy one. I also will not buy a $3 ice cream that is 75 cents elsewhere. I do buckle under for the bottled water though. The drinking fountain water is just gross. I totally agree they gouge the guests, but the guests pay....so the circle continues...and what are guests suppose to do? Once they are in the park they are stuck. Whos going to go to the parking structure and drive to get water, then come back in. They would pay more in time and gas. It's also a PITA to carry around a 6 pack of water around the park all day. I would drink at least that on a normal day. On hot days it would be much more. I figure I need the liquid or I'll dehydrate. I don't need icecream and snack foods. I can get the same things at home....

cstephens
08-14-2004, 05:53 AM
What kind of an idiot pays $5.00 for a hot dog? Please, somebody show me a picture of such a person.

A bottle of Coke is $2.75? I can get 2 1/2 2-liters for that. Again, what kind of an idiot pays almost $3 for 20 ounces of flavored sugar water?

I always think it's nice when someone feels the need to call someone else an idiot because they don't agree with what they do. It's not like, oh, I don't know, that people just have a different perspective.

I haven't had a hot dog at DL in a while, and for $5, I could probably get something a bit more substantial. As for the $2.75, I pay that sometime if that's what I want. And no, I'm not going to show you a picture of myself. I understand that it's a captive audience situation, so they are going to charge more than you would need to spend on the same thing in a supermarket. Their soda prices really aren't any different than at any other captive audience venue. And yes, sometimes, I buy concessions at the movie theatre, and yes, I know that the theatre owners pretty much make all of their money on concessions. Heck, for what you pay for the cost of food at DL, you could make the same thing yourself for much, much less if you just buy the ingredients at the supermarket and cook it yourself, and the supermarket doesn't even charge an admission fee. If people want to not spend a lot of money, maybe they should just start hanging out at the supermarket instead of going to DL...

GrumpyUTboi
08-14-2004, 06:22 AM
Papi Bear,

I don't have a pic for you but "I" am one of those idiots that buys the hot dogs and flavored syrup water. You see since you can not bring food or drinks into DL and it is more of a pain to leave the park, Drive down Haror Blvd a few miles with a minvan full of kids in the middle of the day to buy some food, just to drive back to go to the park again. So for the convience of not having to do that I will and have gladly paid the higher price of flavored water and ground chicken, pork, and beef brains and guts stuffed in a thin skin.

I guess you could always go to IHOP across the street from DL and pay $70 for 3 kids meals and 2 adult meals. I will never go back to IHOP for this reason.

MouseLover
08-14-2004, 09:04 AM
As we only come in once a year or so, it's a multi day trip for us. We'll bring in water and juices in a backpack, but let's face it. This only lasts so long and we're their for the day.

I just look at it as it's part of the cost of coming. It's not like I can take it with me when I leave this world, might as well spend it and enjoy.

rentayenta
08-14-2004, 09:11 AM
Papi Bear,

I don't have a pic for you but "I" am one of those idiots that buys the hot dogs and flavored syrup water. You see since you can not bring food or drinks into DL and it is more of a pain to leave the park, Drive down Haror Blvd a few miles with a minvan full of kids in the middle of the day to buy some food, just to drive back to go to the park again. So for the convience of not having to do that I will and have gladly paid the higher price of flavored water and ground chicken, pork, and beef brains and guts stuffed in a thin skin.

I guess you could always go to IHOP across the street from DL and pay $70 for 3 kids meals and 2 adult meals. I will never go back to IHOP for this reason.

Grumpy, you can bring water and food into the park. We always bring a mini cooler full of ice and water bottles. We also bring in granola bars, Dum Dums(for waiting in line), fruit snacks etc...We have never had a problem doing this. We buy the goodies like popcorn and churros but if I bought the kids a DL treat everytime one of them said they were hungry-which of course is never at the same time- I'd go broke. We do buy sodas with our meals but drink our bottled water throughout the rest of the day.

Tigertail777
08-14-2004, 12:06 PM
I think it depends on the CM, I have had some say we cannot bring food in, but water was ok.

This is one reason I do kinda miss the old parking lot: we used to head out to the parking lot at noon or thereabouts and have a "tailgate" picnic by our car, then when done it was easy enough to catch a tram back and have more fun. It would take way way way longer to do it now with the parking garage. Heck if we couldnt catch a tram back, it was still decent walking distance.. nothing really hard to do, but now with the way the parking structure is set up you almost HAVE to ride a tram back.

oh and btw... here in Oregon quite a few of the movie theaters already charge $4.75 for a hot dog, large sodas are around $3.50, bottled water $2.00-$2.75.

I dont care if they get rid of most of the ODV's I just hope they keep the traditional popcorn and churro carts that have been around for many many years. I would miss the little popcorn "slaves" churning the popcorn. :D

snappy
08-14-2004, 12:15 PM
Papi Bear,
Just bring in H20 into the park. The cast members at the gates will usually not say anything. If you're still worried just bring in the same water we sell in the park. Save your money...

snappy
08-14-2004, 12:27 PM
This is what you do!! Bring lots of water to the main entrance to Disneyland. Before entering the park figure the amount of H20 you will need to last for 1/2 the day. Put the rest of your drinks in a locker located left of the main gates. Since you can reopen those lockers, there's no problem with ins/outs. Lockers $4.00 a day. (High, but 2 bottles of H20 is $5.50- You'll be up $1.50) As for hot dogs, just say NO! If you need your water cold, just get a cup of ice (free) and fill it up. That's how you save $$$ Helpfull advice I hope from a once starving college student..

TikiGeek
08-14-2004, 01:50 PM
I used to think that $2.75 was too much to pay for a 20 oz. bottle of Vanilla Coke. Then, we went to the "Edwards 18 stadium movie theater" in San Diego. They have a vending machine (they have a regular snack bar too) that sells Coke and Coke products - $4.50 for a 20 oz. bottle!!! I was shocked. We now bring (smuggle) in a Coke and a bag of some snack items that we buy at the store when we go to the movies. Problem solved.

Disneyland is different. I don't mind paying $2.75 for a bottle of Coke, $3.00 for a box of popcorn, $5.00 for carmel corn (we bring a ziplock and take some home). Nor do I mind paying $20 a person for lunch at BB. I love to do these things (no I'm not rich (I wish!)). Why - because I'm at Disneyland!!! The Coke taste sweeter, the popcorn taste better - I don't know why, I just don't mind.
My AP only cost $99, what a bargain. Yes Disney, I'll support your product with my purchase of a $2.75 Coke.:)

As far as the argument of "I can buy several of those at the store for that price"....YOU'RE NOT AT THE STORE!!! (sorry for shouting :rolleyes: ) Bring your own food and drink if these purchases will have a bad impact on your budget, there is no shame in that. Kick back on a bench, enjoy your refreshment and watch the people - the people watching is FREE and it's some of the best in the world. Personally, I don't want to carry around all that stuff. I just want to walk up to a vendor, plunk down some money and have a treat - it's part of the experience.

O.K. I'm off my soapbox now. :p