PDA

View Full Version : Anyone eaten at the Blue Bayou lately?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Dlandmom
08-13-2004, 08:50 AM
I had dinner there last night and was pretty disappointed. It had been years since my last visit for dinner, and the menu had changed. The Monte Cristo isn't on the menu, but I've got to assume they'd make it if I asked. The food was pretty expensive, $25 for the average entree, but it would've been worth it if the food was better. The children meals seemed like a good deal...my daughter had the Mickey Nuggets, and it came with mashed potatoes, applesauce, corn on the cob, and a Mickey-shaped jello dessert. I think it was only $6.99 for that.

Anyone eaten there lately? I used to REALLY like their food. Last night was quite the disappointment for me.

Wendi
08-13-2004, 09:10 AM
The Monte Cristo is only available at lunch, perhaps you had lunch there in the past... it's cheaper too!

Dlandmom
08-13-2004, 09:14 AM
Oh, I've definitely had the Monte Cristo at lunch...didn't they used to have it in some form on the dinner menu?

Anyhow, Monte Cristo aside, last night's dinner was disappointing.

lisap
08-13-2004, 09:22 AM
We ate there in June with the kids. It was okay--we were seated way in the back where the traffic flow to the tables are the heaviest. It seemed hectic and crowded. I thought the food was pretty good, but I've had better at Catal. I like the Blue Bayou for the atmosphere first, food second. I guess I should have held out for a table closer to the water. :(

CoasterChickie
08-13-2004, 09:33 AM
I have to agree with all of you. Luckily I had a head's up that the atmosphere would be good, but the food would be so-so and pricey.
I'm still going to go there again, in fact I just made reservations, but this time I'm going at lunchtime! :)

P.S. The service was great...I wish I had remembered our waitress' name so I could have let her employer know...we left her a good tip! :)

P.S.S. I had to try one of their famous mint juleps. It tasted a little bit like mouthwash, but hey I liked it! :~D

mystycalchyk
08-13-2004, 09:36 AM
Yeah, We dont go there for the food. It's all about a table by the water. The food is good but definately not worth the price IMHO.
Last time I was there was the last time I was in Disneyland, we went there for our Christmas night dinner :D

stan4d_steph
08-13-2004, 10:40 AM
My advice if you want to go for atmosphere in the evening: skip the overpriced entrees and just have dessert and coffee. Desserts are really good and you can just sit and enjoy the view will drinking real, brewed coffee. :)

mystycalchyk
08-13-2004, 10:43 AM
My advice if you want to go for atmosphere in the evening: skip the overpriced entrees and just have dessert and coffee. Desserts are really good and you can just sit and enjoy the view will drinking real, brewed coffee. :)

yeah, we could do that but I would feel bad. So many people are waiting for a table by the water, I would feel bad monopolizing that space to linger with a dessert only....I guess I feel I deserve the space only if I buy the meal *shrugs*

Photographer
08-13-2004, 10:45 AM
I ate there last Sunday. Yes, it is pricey but I was quite happy because when I told the waitress about my allergies she checked with the chef. she then came back with 3 options for me as an entree and a few options as sides. I had salmon and steamed veggies, all plain because I can't handle spices anymore, especially black pepper. I was very pleased. :) and of course I had my mint julep. Mmmmm

lisap
08-13-2004, 11:25 AM
yeah, we could do that but I would feel bad. So many people are waiting for a table by the water, I would feel bad monopolizing that space to linger with a dessert only....I guess I feel I deserve the space only if I buy the meal *shrugs*

Well, there's no law against just getting dessert. Try reserving a table late in the evening. You deserve it, trust me. The desserts ain't cheap. ;)

DisneylandForever
08-13-2004, 11:35 AM
I can't recall a time when I've ever been disappointed with the Blue Bayou, and I've been to DL every year since birth. The service is always outstanding, and the food is pretty good (although I admit I always order the prime rib). I don't know if saying the BB is "pricey" is a valid argument, since that also describes 99% of the eateries in the DLR. IMO, pretty good food + great service + the coolest ambience = a nice place to eat.

BayAreaDisneyFan
08-13-2004, 11:58 AM
We ate there on our last trip (7/03-7/08) and were disappointed. We'd eaten there a couple of years ago, and everyone but me had bad memories of being cold and not being able to see their food in the dark. I insisted that we give it another try this time (with sweatshirts), and on our way out told my wife - "OK, it's out of my system now." Too expensive, food was not that good, too chaotic (tables too close together and LOTS of foot traffic around tables), no wine, etc. So far our favorite remains Hook's Pointe - each time we walk out raving about how it was even better than we remembered.

lisap
08-13-2004, 12:01 PM
So far our favorite remains Hook's Pointe - each time we walk out raving about how it was even better than we remembered.

Yes, we ate there for the first time last December as part of the Candleight package thing and really enjoyed it. Very relaxing and romantic. :)

Dlandmom
08-13-2004, 12:06 PM
I was a little surprised by my disappointment last night. The last time I had dinner there, I seem to remember enjoying it, although I don't remember what I had. Yes, I would definitely go there for the atmosphere, but after last night, I'm not sure it's worth it for me even with the atmosphere.

I don't mind paying $25 for a good entree, even a decent entree. Heck, I've paid much more than that for really great meals, but I was just a little disappointed with my food last night. Maybe I had the prime rib last time, like BayAreaDisneyFan did, and probably enjoyed it. Oh well...I'm sure I'll go back at some point in the future, just probably not the near future.

MrTomMorrow
08-13-2004, 12:07 PM
Yum... I would like a Monte Cristo sandwich right now... with a nice cold glass of Mint Julep... Yay.

adriennek
08-13-2004, 12:16 PM
I've never really been impressed with the BB for dinner. As others have said: overpriced for so-so food. Unfortunately that can ruin the atmosphere for me. (I paid this much money for that??) There are lots of yummy options for that price range, IMO.

I like Monte Cristos, so if I'm going to eat there, I think lunch is a better deal.

Adrienne

Dlandmom
08-13-2004, 12:32 PM
I forgot to note earlier that the desserts looked wonderful, so maybe a late night dessert would be cool there.

CoasterChickie
08-13-2004, 12:34 PM
So far our favorite remains Hook's Pointe - each time we walk out raving about how it was even better than we remembered.

We also had an excellent meal there...great food, reasonable price and excellent service. It was the main reason we went back to DL a second time last spring and stayed at the DLH!!

Also we had a view of a beautiful wedding that was taking place that night! :)

SCUBAbe
08-13-2004, 12:41 PM
yeah, the last two times was dissapointing. Really bad service, the food was not very good, and they sat us way in the back where they bang the silverwear around..:(

mystycalchyk
08-13-2004, 12:42 PM
sorry to continue the hijack, But I have heard of Hooks Pointe but never been there. That good eh?

Any kid friendly foods that a particularly picky niece of mine would eat? I swear that kids gonna turn into a chicken nugget one of these days :rolleyes: :p

danyoung
08-13-2004, 12:42 PM
I've eaten there several times over the years, and a couple lunches just recently. I have to agree that it was just so-so on the food. It seemed to me that the food was pre-cooked and kept on a warming table, as opposed to being prepared to order. Especially the Monte Cristo - not at all fresh, and it had that microwaved feel to it. Pretty disappointing.

But that said, I'd go back in a heartbeat. I always wait for a table by the water, and love sitting there in the twilight watching the boats go by.

Alex S.
08-13-2004, 12:54 PM
Since Hooke's Pointe went downhill, I haven't had a meal anywhere on Disney property that would justify a $25 entree*. It's been a while since I've eaten at Blue Bayou (and now that they've reservation only I'll probably never eat there again) but was never particularly impressed by the food or the service.

Yes, it is good for a theme park, but it is not good for a restaurant. And if they're going to charge me fine restaurant prices I want fine restaurant quality, not Red Lobster or Tony Roma's at Boulevard prices.

When it comes to real dining, this is definitely an area where Walt Disney World really puts Disneyland to shame and one of the few reasons I look forward to trips to Florida.

*Note: I have never eaten at Granville's or Napa Rose.

danyoung
08-13-2004, 01:04 PM
When it comes to real dining, this is definitely an area where Walt Disney World really puts Disneyland to shame....

Total agreement! I really enjoy a fine meal at the California Grill or the Coral Reef. I still enjoy the Blue Bayou, but not for the food.

adriennek
08-13-2004, 01:23 PM
It seemed to me that the food was pre-cooked and kept on a warming table, as opposed to being prepared to order. Especially the Monte Cristo - not at all fresh, and it had that microwaved feel to it. Pretty disappointing.

It is precooked elsewhere, actually.

Alex: Take your wife to Napa Rose.

Adrienne

Dlandmom
08-13-2004, 01:24 PM
It's been a while since I've eaten at Blue Bayou (and now that they've reservation only I'll probably never eat there again) but was never particularly impressed by the food or the service. We actually did walk-up yesterday. I got there at about 5:15 and was told it was a 15-30 minute wait. It probably was only about 15-20 minutes. At about 5:30, someone tried to do walk-up and was told they weren't taking any more. When we left the restaurant at about 6:45, there were at least 10 empty tables in the restaurant.