PDA

View Full Version : HM improvement suggestions.

sdfilmcritic
08-13-2004, 12:52 AM
Before I forget again I had some great ideas I wish the Imagineers could add to HM that would greatly add to the eerie effects.

1) Place some well hidden subwoofers and pump a subtle bass hum into the ride. If the rythym and pass of the bass hum correlates with the rythym and beats of the music of the attraction it can be eerie, sublte, and well hidden that will give the riders and guests that creepy feeling in their stomach.

2) In the graveyard and attic area keep the A.C. a couple of degrees colder than the rest of the ride to send chills down the spine of the riders and guests.

I don't know if these are plausible things that can be added to the ride, but I'm hoping someone high up in Imagineering management will read this.

If you have any suggestions for HM, please add them here.

spectromen
08-13-2004, 08:20 AM
Totally agree with #1 and always have. Same goes for Pirates and Tiki Room. Get the audience to FEEL the soundtrack, not just hear it!

Other suggestion is to replace the attic bride with a fully articulated audio animatronic figure. If done right, could significantly increase the creepiness factor and improve the storytelling that, until now, has been a matter of assumptions and guesses.

tink1234
08-13-2004, 07:59 PM
return the headless ghost! Never seen it, but a "new" ghost is always creepy! :~D

Werner
08-14-2004, 04:23 AM
Interesting idea about the sound and how it could enhance things! And you're right -- a subtle approach would be best. The last thing I'd want would be for DL to get carried away with "woofing up" the park -- that could potentially go out of control. Don't get me wrong, I love music and the magic of sounds in the Park, but I think I "feel" enough bass courtesy of all those lovely cars and trucks that rumble through my life via diesel engines, modified tail pipes, super sound systems, or any combination thereof. As such, I'm a little wary of too much more! :p
The A/C thing would be cool so to speak -- didn't Adventure thru Inner Space use the same effect?

Disney Vault
08-14-2004, 09:04 AM
I would want the attick redone. And they should have people dressed up like they used to have. They would reach into your doombuggy or walk up behind you in the elevator.

Susan L
08-14-2004, 09:20 AM
All the above are very good suggestions. How about something simple that doesn't cost anything extra, except a smile or two. The CM's get into roll playing more. When I was a little kid all the CM's at Disneyland at all the rides would play the part. It seems today there are only a small few who do this anymore, but it always makes waiting in line and the ride more fun.

disneyperson
08-14-2004, 09:52 AM
I would want the attick redone. And they should have people dressed up like they used to have. They would reach into your doombuggy or walk up behind you in the elevator.

I know the knight near the endless hallway used to be a real guy who would reach out and grab at you.(he scared the heck out of a friend of mine once) But he was replaced by an animatronic and as of our last visit, was gone altogether. Where else were there ever real people as part of the ride? I always thought it would be neat to have CMs dressed as ghosts out on the balcony over looking queue area. They could notice the guests once in awhile and silently beckon them in. I also would like to see the CMs participate in the fun a little more. Only a few of them do, but those who do are wonderful. HM CMs have the coolest costumes in the whole park. They should "play" more when the crowds are lighter and there's time to interact.

DrIndianaJones
08-14-2004, 10:13 AM
My suggestion would be to greatly improve the storyline and the scenery.
For instance, in the loading area, there is a great big empty space that is only used during the holiday version, put in a grand staircase or some other grand look and feel, such as an atrium or greenhouse.
The attic should get a major re-do, new ghosts, new animatronics (bride), and the hatbox ghost.
The graveyard suffers from it being too basic and too short. Have the scene elements from the film put into here. (so the script sucked, but the sets rocked!) Maybe even have it be that you go into the mosoleum (sp?) and see some of the creepy "zombie" ghosts.

I think a slightly creepier ride would increase the amount of riders, once a again making it a true e-ticket...the idea is, however, to make it not too scary otherwise families would avoid it.

imagineerhopeful
08-14-2004, 09:47 PM
Getting rid of the "I do!" heads.

Or at least change them so it doesnt sound like an 18-wheeler is using its air breaks everytime they decide to pop out of a trunk. :|

LAsptsfan3
08-14-2004, 11:05 PM
the 'i do' heads rule!

we have this thing cause weve been to HM so much that sometimes at the dinner table or whenever its appropriate...ill imitate the 'i do' heads complete with the little jump thingy.

"babe, do you want more mashed potatoes?"

"::low voice:: i dooooooooo....::high voice:: i do!"

okay im a dork. :geek: :D

imagineerhopeful
08-14-2004, 11:36 PM
The only problem I have with the "I do" heads is that irritating compressed air sound they make. Fix that, and by all means keep them.

But for Walt's sake, this is 2004... We can make a significant enough improvement over noisy compressed air by now. I dislike how the Haunted Mansion attic is sounding like brakes in a six flags roller coaster.

Disneyfreak
08-15-2004, 12:12 AM
Where do you expect the compressed air to go? The zombies are completely silent because of the different design of it. The zombies have tubes to blow the pressure in, the bodyless heads have to be blown up out of a socket. So I dont see how they could make it silent. I like the compressed air sound anyway because it catches new people off guard. I have made one, believe me that it is very difficult to get these things quiet. I frankly am very impressed they got those zombies completely silent. Go here to find instructions on how to build one of the I do zombies: http://www.vilethings.com/simple_pop_up_introduction.htm

Mind you this pop up zombie is a bit better and scarier then the ones on HM. The only flaw is that it is not silent at all, but scares the crud out of people.