PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the Disneyland Postmark?

Jewels
08-12-2004, 12:34 PM
We finally remembered to send postcards home and to friends and family on our last trip to DL in May. I was so excited when a few days after our return our postcards came. I had heard that Disneyland has it's own special postmark. All we had was the Shrek postmark from the post office. No special Disney anything.

We mailed them from the mailbox on Main Street right outside of the photo shop. Do they still have the postmark?

AVP
08-12-2004, 01:32 PM
Do they still have the postmark?No. There is now a sign on the mailbox alerting you that your mail will be taken to the Anaheim post office by Disneyland employees. You'll get whatever cancellation they have at the time. Someone else will probably remember the story better than I - I believe Disneyland used to be its own zip code, and thus had it's own cancellation stamp.

AVP

experiment626
08-12-2004, 04:46 PM
I too had heard about the Disney Postmark, but have never seen it.

sediment
08-12-2004, 04:53 PM
We'll have to wait for the omniscient Opus1Guy.

tod
08-13-2004, 12:03 PM
There is no Disneyland postmark. The USPS will make a special cancellation for a first-day-of-issue on a particular stamp, or an event like the Super Bowl or the Olympics, but as Disneyland does not have a U.S. Post Office, there is no Disneyland postmark.

There is the "Holiday Station" on Ball Road, though, if you want a festive postmark for your missives home...

--t

Tigertail777
08-14-2004, 11:51 AM
Disneyland used to have its own official post office, and did have its own Disneyland postmark. But I beleive they stopped having a real post office sometime in the early 80's, or late 70's. Main st used to have many things in it that made it like a real true working little "town", they used to have their own print shop that would print out a Disneyland newspaper with real old fashioned printing equipment (just like Knotts used to). There also used to be a real bank at Disneyland, which you could open a account under (I beleive it was a branch of bank of america) and you would get a special Disneyland stamped savings book. The Disneyland post office was pretty famous for its own special cancellation stamp, as well as those side decorative stamps they still sometimes use at post offices. Many guests would send the cheap postcards with Disney cancellation stamps from the post office in the old days it was considered a very special souvineer to get one in the mail. I think its a real shame they stopped doing this, seems to me it was great publicity for the park and a wonderful souvineer.