PDA

View Full Version : What's the drawing power of the Haunted Mansion?

Pages : [1] 2

sdfilmcritic
08-12-2004, 06:46 AM
I've always wondered what draws people to Haunted Mansion so much? My only real draw to the ride is the want to be a CM for the ride. Beyond that I find it to be a nice, quiet, relaxing ride for a good break in my day. But what about the Mansion freaks? What's their draw?

stan4d_steph
08-12-2004, 06:53 AM
We grow up hearing ghost stories and a lot of people are drawn to a good scary movie. The HM appeal on that level without being too scary. Also, the ride appeals to people who are into goth culture.

LOYL2DZNY
08-12-2004, 07:30 AM
We grow up hearing ghost stories and a lot of people are drawn to a good scary movie. The HM appeal on that level without being too scary. Also, the ride appeals to people who are into goth culture.

i've come to realize that i only really like the mansion during the HMH overlay. other than that, it really is quite boring, but very relaxing and it has AC.

Wendi
08-12-2004, 08:27 AM
Probably nostalgia for me. I don't know why I love everything about Disneyland so much, other than when I walk through the gates I become a kid again... that's enough for me. I guess years and years of visiting these attractions just makes it all so magical for me. I think it's a really wonderfully themed ride and I love it all, from reading the tombstones in the queue and having the singing busts follow me, to the grand ballroom and hitch-hiking ghosts. There is always so much to see, it never gets boring for me.

Nancy
08-12-2004, 08:38 AM
Thurl's voice is my favorite voice in all of Disneyland and since he is no longer on the train, I love to hear him and see his face on the bust in the graveyard. :)

Mukta
08-12-2004, 09:20 AM
I take people from different countries to see DL for the first time. They always love the HM. Any age group found it fun and said "How did they do that?" about the ballroom scene. Kids are always a little spooked by the elevator walls stretching and the plunge into darkness. I still love the walk down the hallway and seeing the changing pictures and the heads that follow my every move.

Captain Josh
08-12-2004, 09:24 AM
I just REALLY appreciate when Grim Grinnin' Ghosts come out to socialize. Yeah, I come for the song....

MrTomMorrow
08-12-2004, 09:48 AM
Perhaps because the special effects are so amazing (even after all these years). Who hasn't wanted to see a ghost in person? The ballroom scene is amazing!

Nephythys
08-12-2004, 10:07 AM
Because that attraction has some serious atmosphere-
From the haunting melody playing in the queue, and the fun inscriptions on the gravestones, it takes you somewhere else. Especially at night.
The incredible effects, from the stretching room to the ghosts in your doom buggy, all the way through you think "how DO they do that?"

There is always something new to see, some detail you never noticed before. For example, have you seen the spider and web in the ballroom? It has a fascinating story behind it. According to reliable reports, some joker shot a hole through the glass in that room. They could not remove the glass, doing so would require taking the whole roof off the mansion. So the imagineers made it into a spider web, with web to cover the cracks and a spider for the hole.

The spiel, the song, the haunting words of Little Leota....I LOVE the HM. I was born in Cali, I went many many times as a child and growing up and I am now bringing my kids. The Haunted Mansion will always be my favorite, and the first thing I do when I go to the park. I also love HMH, because it blends the wonder of the Mansion, with one of my favorite movies. Can it get any better?

The Lovely Mrs. tod
08-12-2004, 10:20 AM
Becaue my uncle built the guy trying to push his way out of the coffin. :fez:

-TLMt

Ghoulish Delight
08-12-2004, 10:36 AM
Because of the undeniable atmosphere it creates. Because of the amazing results Mark Davis and company produced with simple theater tricks. Because of the genious of the omnimover system. Because of the beautiful balance between spook and kook. Because of the gorgeous artwork through the whole thing. Because of the nostalgia, remembering as a kid trying to figure out of that room really was stretching. Because of the entertaining and perfectly paced speil. etc., etc., etc., etc.

iwannabeanimagineer
08-12-2004, 10:36 AM
I am drawn to the HM by the same things that draw me to good magic shows: the thrill of being deceived and wrapped up in a good story (ghost story in this case) with great music. And I suppose a dark something deep inside me always wonders if on the next visit something might reveal itself that shows that one or two of the ghosts are real or maybe reveal how they were made. Like most of the DLR attractions, it helps me re-experience the wonders of childhood.

LOYL2DZNY
08-12-2004, 11:36 AM
Probably nostalgia for me. I don't know why I love everything about Disneyland so much, other than when I walk through the gates I become a kid again... that's enough for me. I guess years and years of visiting these attractions just makes it all so magical for me. I think it's a really wonderfully themed ride and I love it all, from reading the tombstones in the queue and having the singing busts follow me, to the grand ballroom and hitch-hiking ghosts. There is always so much to see, it never gets boring for me.

well said...i'd have to agree w/ you on that whole nostalgia thing. even though it's not one of my faves, i could never go to DL and not go on it...overlay or not.

i usually get emotional and giddy soon as i walk through the RR tunnel after the main entrance. i get all tingly inside....just like a kid again.
thanks for reminding me, Wendi! :)

disneyperson
08-12-2004, 01:05 PM
It's wierd, I wasn't that attracted to the HM when it was new, but now it's one of my top three. I think it's being surrrounded by such a complete and wonderful atmosphere. Sound,visuals, even temperature all blending together . Of course, now, we also look for little new things and subtle changes.One day during our visit in July someone had turned around the statue of David to face forward instead of backward. Very risque. He was facing backwards again the next day.It was silly how much we enjoyed making up scenarios about how David got turned around. Anyway,I love the HM dearly, and I love the HMH too.(Pathetic Nightmare Before Christmas addict that I am) My license plate holder even says, "my other car is a doom buggy". So sad, I know. My co-workers shake their heads at me in bewilderment.
Next visit Aug.28-29 so my teen goth daughter can bond with her people and of course visit our "home away from home" yay!!!!

experiment626
08-12-2004, 04:49 PM
There is so much to see that you can have a different experience each time.

After 30 years of going to Disneyland and riding Mansion I just figured out the "ghosts" are saying "I Do" in the room where the bride is. DUH!!

disneyperson
08-12-2004, 05:06 PM
There is so much to see that you can have a different experience each time.

After 30 years of going to Disneyland and riding Mansion I just figured out the "ghosts" are saying "I Do" in the room where the bride is. DUH!!

Don't feel bad, last year my daughter asked me, "Why do the ghosts in the attic say wahoo?"( I laughed at her a lot) Now whenever we're in the attic we say wahoo whenever a ghost jumps out at us.

SCUBAbe
08-12-2004, 05:41 PM
i've come to realize that i only really like the mansion during the HMH overlay. other than that, it really is quite boring, but very relaxing and it has AC.
I feel the same way. We used to skip it all the time, but my daughter is now going through some kind of punk/goth phase...so we have to go on it EVERYTIME...*sigh*...I love the Holiday mansion though..:)

Susan L
08-12-2004, 06:30 PM
I've always wondered what draws people to Haunted Mansion so much? My only real draw to the ride is the want to be a CM for the ride.

That would be the CM job I would want too. As for what draws people to the ride, its simple, its fun.

sediment
08-12-2004, 06:40 PM
I feel the same way. We used to skip it all the time, but my daughter is now going through some kind of punk/goth phase...so we have to go on it EVERYTIME...*sigh*...I love the Holiday mansion though..:)
Goth phase is one of three things: "I want some attention!" Or, "Leave me alone!" Or both.
Good luck! (No, I don't know anything.)

SCUBAbe
08-12-2004, 08:04 PM
Goth phase is one of three things: "I want some attention!" Or, "Leave me alone!" Or both.
Thanks for the luck...it's been fun...I've learned one thing. If I pretend not to be bothered by it or if i like it, then it's not as much fun for her to dress that way. She's been picking out her new school clothes and they actaully have some color to them So, the phase may be ending. She is very excited about goth day at DL though. I'm taking her, because I try to be cool like that...LOL

sdfilmcritic
08-13-2004, 12:36 AM
I just REALLY appreciate when Grim Grinnin' Ghosts come out to socialize. Yeah, I come for the song....
Just close your eyes, and don't try to hide. For a silly spook may sit by your side. Shrowded in a dark disquise. They begin to terrorize. Grim, grinnin' ghosts come out to socialize.

disneyperson
08-13-2004, 09:44 AM

My daughter also tends towards toward the Goth look (I think it's rather sweet) I like it much better than if she were walking around with her belly hanging out, her pants pulled down to her to her pubic bone, and her (gasp,ouch) thong showing. That was the most popular mode of teen dress I saw in LA last July. Ick. I'll take my beautiful (and all coverd up) liitle Goth any day.And all her clothes match so it's easy to pick out outfits.After all black goes with everything See ya on Batsday,Aug 29,I'll be the one in the Jack Skellington bowling shirt

SCUBAbe
08-13-2004, 01:20 PM
My daughter also tends towards toward the Goth look (I think it's rather sweet) I like it much better than if she were walking around with her belly hanging out, her pants pulled down to her to her pubic bone, and her (gasp,ouch) thong showing. That was the most popular mode of teen dress I saw in LA last July. Ick. I'll take my beautiful (and all coverd up) liitle Goth any day.And all her clothes match so it's easy to pick out outfits.After all black goes with everything See ya on Batsday,Aug 29,I'll be the one in the Jack Skellington bowling shirt
ok...My duaghter wants to take me to hot topic to get gothed up. I have no idea what I'll be wearing...LOL...I drew the line at dying my hair black. I had to explain that I would still have to go to work after ...LOL...not that they do not allow black hair, but I'm blonde...LOL

danyoung
08-13-2004, 01:35 PM
Shrowded in a dark disquise.

Close. That would be "daft disguise".

drjones
08-13-2004, 02:10 PM
ambiance, purely ambiance. From the moment you walk through the gate to the time you leave the crypt.......MAGIC.