PDA

View Full Version : What's Up With Snow White?

Pages : [1] 2

GoldenEars
08-11-2004, 09:39 PM
I went to go see the SW stage show today and whoever is playing the role of Snow White now is pretty bad. Her voice is beautiful, but her acting in that role is horrible! Isn't SW supposed to be poised and act graceful? Isn't she supposed to speak in a soft, innocent tone?

Well, this one they had (I've actually seen this same actress play SW twice, so far) is anything but what the other actresses have portrayed her to be in the show. This new one they have now is too loud, bold, has no grace or poise to her character and gives off the worst facial expressions! The only thing that is saving this actress is her singing skills.

I'm usually not this critical, but it's really hard to enjoy the show when you have an actress portraying SW like she does. What's funny is the Prince is the one who is poised and graceful. I told my friend I was with today that I wouldn't sit through another show with that actress playing the role. I had my 2 favorites, but I haven't seen them play SW in a while.

I'm just wondering if anyone else out there has noticed this? Or am I just being too critical? Thankfully there's the Aladdin stage show at DCA to help cheer me up!

CoasterChickie
08-11-2004, 10:46 PM
Or am I just being too critical?

^^^NO^^^

In fact, I can't believe how many times it sounds like you've gone to that show! :eek: ;)

Merm8fan
08-12-2004, 12:10 PM
I saw the show once, and wasn't impressed.

Was the queen always Snow White's stepmother? That threw me, I guess I haven't heard the story in a while.

Didn't like the animals, something was just not right there. (Disney usually does actors-as-animals well, but I just couldn't buy it this time.) Maybe it had a lot to do with the choreography. Possibly I had it in my head that it would have a more classic look, or at least be more fun. Someone was taking themselves way too seriously there for an abridged, theme-park version of the show.

The dwarves were the best part, along with the hunky prince who we did not see enough of! ;)

As for Snow White herself, I honestly didn't pay much attention to her.

Unless I were accompanying a friend who hadn't seen it yet and wanted to, I doubt I would go again. I'd rather head over to Aladdin, where the Genie cracks me up every time. What can I say? I'm easy... :D

cstephens
08-12-2004, 01:19 PM
Was the queen always Snow White's stepmother? That threw me, I guess I haven't heard the story in a while.

Yep. She's just one of miriad evil stepmothers.

Forbin
08-12-2004, 01:33 PM
Really? Dang after watching the movie like 20 gagillion times I always thought the Queen was Snow White's Mother.

SCUBAbe
08-12-2004, 04:34 PM
I saw the show once. That was enough....I did love the evil queen..:)

Merm8fan
08-12-2004, 05:08 PM
Slightly O/T - I haven't seen the movie in forever, and do not happen to have it on video. Does anyone conclusively know what the relationship traditionally was between Snow White and the Queen?

(My subconscious must know something it's not telling me, because to have them be portrayed as stepmother/stepdaughter in the stage show put up a big old red flag for me...)

sediment
08-12-2004, 05:26 PM
Let's go down the dark path of off-topicness, shall we?

Just found this on the internet. It might not be an official source, but the kids are pretty cute. No, I don't know any of them. Just a Yahoo! search result.

http://koa.iolani.honolulu.hi.us/class/grade1/

lisap
08-12-2004, 05:36 PM

Just found this on the internet. It might not be an official source, but the kids are pretty cute. No, I don't know any of them. Just a Yahoo! search result.

Oh my gosh, I've seen that school! The evil witch at that school is waay more scary than the one at DL--her eyes reflect every ray of light! :eek:

ANYway, I like the DL show. I enjoy Snow's pretty soprano voice, and my kids like to catch the flower petals at the end. And that's the truth.

Merm8fan
08-12-2004, 05:42 PM

ROFL! The chunk of apple had to be dislodged from her throat for Snow White to "wake up!" I guess it would be dificult to get a prince that age to actually kiss a girl...

That website said the story had been adapted, but the whole pricking the finger thing sounded familiar... or maybe I am now pulling Sleeping Beauty into the confusion. :rolleyes:

That was a fun link, sediment! I grew up in Hawaii, and that bunch looked suspiciously like the cast of many a school play I was in. Good times.

sediment
08-12-2004, 05:48 PM
Yeeeeaahooooooooooo--hoooo! What would we do without it (besides use Google)?
I didn't read too much of the narrative. Did they use the Heimlich manuveur?

SarahShep
08-12-2004, 08:12 PM
Slightly O/T - I haven't seen the movie in forever, and do not happen to have it on video. Does anyone conclusively know what the relationship traditionally was between Snow White and the Queen?

The Evil Queen is Snow White's stepmother. Why would Snow White's own mother want to kill her? That's just so wrong. The traditional story (non-Disney adapted) starts off with Snow White's mom wishing for a child as she is sewing, and she pricks her finger with the needle and a drop of red blood falls onto the snow. Somehow (I can't remember all the specifics of this version, as I am most familiar with Disney's), that action grants her wish and she has a daughter with skin as white as snow and lips as red as blood. Hence, Snow White...Naturally, her mother dies in childbirth, and the father is left alone to raise his daughter. He then remarries, Snow White grows up to be a gorgeous girl, the somewhat-less-beautiful wife becomes jealous of her beauty, and spell casting/mirror talking/dwarf singing/poison apple eating ensues.

Snow White was my favorite movie when I was a kid...I must have seen it a million times or more. Trust me...They're stepmother/stepdaughter!

CoasterChickie
08-12-2004, 11:18 PM
Just a little bit off topic, but have any of you seen the SnowWhite/Evil Queen book they sell at the animation store in DCA? It's a two-sided book where each character tells her side of the story. The Evil Queen's side of the story is hilarious!

sdfilmcritic
08-13-2004, 12:19 AM
Is it my imagination or does Disney have something against step family? Evil Queen STEP-mother, ugly STEP-sisters, etc. I can't imagine what the Brady Bunch would have been like if Disney was producing it. Ha, ha, ha! I'm suddenly getting an image of what Brady Bunch would look like if it was twisted like one of the Disney cartoon movies that cast step family in the evil light.

dasrock
08-13-2004, 02:59 AM
horray for the evil queen! :) :) :) :)

mjformenotyou
08-13-2004, 08:11 AM
Is it my imagination or does Disney have something against step family? Evil Queen STEP-mother, ugly STEP-sisters, etc. I can't imagine what the Brady Bunch would have been like if Disney was producing it. Ha, ha, ha! I'm suddenly getting an image of what Brady Bunch would look like if it was twisted like one of the Disney cartoon movies that cast step family in the evil light.

Seriously. I was just wondering why these girl's fathers would marry such evil women. Sounds a little too Anna Nicole for me.

Lindsay

merlinjones
08-13-2004, 08:16 AM
The characters in the Snow White show are way off-personality.

Thw Wicked Queen acts like the Wicked Witch of the West, cackling and shrieking, waving her arms and hamming it up... totally out of character.

And the dwarfs...!

Ponine
08-13-2004, 09:16 AM
The Evil Queen is Snow White's stepmother. Why would Snow White's own mother want to kill her? That's just so wrong. The traditional story (non-Disney adapted) starts off with Snow White's mom wishing for a child as she is sewing, and she pricks her finger with the needle and a drop of red blood falls onto the snow. Somehow (I can't remember all the specifics of this version, as I am most familiar with Disney's), that action grants her wish and she has a daughter with skin as white as snow and lips as red as blood. Hence, Snow White...Naturally, her mother dies in childbirth, and the father is left alone to raise his daughter. He then remarries, Snow White grows up to be a gorgeous girl, the somewhat-less-beautiful wife becomes jealous of her beauty, and spell casting/mirror talking/dwarf singing/poison apple eating ensues.

Snow White was my favorite movie when I was a kid...I must have seen it a million times or more. Trust me...They're stepmother/stepdaughter!

I have an ooooold Disney storybook, it also has this beginning to the story.

cstephens
08-13-2004, 09:53 AM
Just a little bit off topic, but have any of you seen the SnowWhite/Evil Queen book they sell at the animation store in DCA? It's a two-sided book where each character tells her side of the story. The Evil Queen's side of the story is hilarious!

Yes, the first time I saw that, I loved it. They have another one too, from another story. I can't remember, but I think it might be Cinderella and Lady Tremaine (is that right?). We were trying to figure out which other ones they could do. I think a Little Mermaid one would be cool.

Bill Catherall
08-13-2004, 11:32 AM
I'm suddenly getting an image of what Brady Bunch would look like if it was twisted like one of the Disney cartoon movies that cast step family in the evil light. There was a Brady Bunch episode all about this. Bobby imagined Carol to be a wicked step mother and he had 3 wicked step sisters.

ROFL! The chunk of apple had to be dislodged from her throat for Snow White to "wake up!" I guess it would be dificult to get a prince that age to actually kiss a girl... Actually, that version is more accurate to the original (http://www.mouseplanet.com/fairytales/ft010622.htm) than the Disney version. It was the bite of apple lodged in her throat that caused her to sleep. It's certainly more logical than True Love's first kiss. As if! ;)

lisap
08-13-2004, 11:36 AM
The Evil Queen is Snow White's stepmother. Why would Snow White's own mother want to kill her? That's just so wrong.

There's also an earlier version of the story in the first collection of Grimm's tales where Snow White's mother is the wicked queen--driven to kill Snow White out of some creepy sexual rivalry issue. They changed it to stepmother in later editions.

Bill Catherall
08-13-2004, 11:41 AM
By the way, I don't think you want to know what really woke up Sleeping Beauty. ;)

lisap
08-13-2004, 11:43 AM
By the way, I don't think you want to know what really woke up Sleeping Beauty. ;)

Ugly tarps covering her window? What.

Bill Catherall
08-13-2004, 11:50 AM
If you really must know... link (http://www.mouseplanet.com/fairytales/ft011011.htm).

MrTomMorrow
08-13-2004, 11:52 AM
I seem to recall seeing a TV version of Snow White (I think it was called Fairy Tale Theater) in which the evil queen/witch makes several attempts to kill Snow White, and one of the unsuccessful attempts involved her showing Snow White a bunch of beautiful ribbons, and the evil witch ends up wrapping the ribbons around Snow White, in effect strangling her.

Yeah, pretty disturbing, I know.