PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Remember...

SarahShep
08-10-2004, 10:43 AM
Does anyone remember a kiddie ride at Disneyland based on Disney's animated series The Adventures of the Gummi Bears (the series ran from 1985-1991)? It would have involved small boats on a track of some kind. I have an ongoing argument with my aunt about this. I seem to remember going on such a ride with her, later at night, right before we went to see a stage showing of Beauty and the Beast. It would have been sometime around 1990-1992. I'm really not sure what year. And I don't think the ride was around for very long, as I remember it mostly just consisting of big "carboard-like" cutouts of the characters from the show that you drove past in your little boat. It was hardly exciting. But I swear that it existed...does anyone else remember it/have proof that it existed??? I want to know that I'm not crazy...but I suppose I could be!

Thanks!! :D

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
08-10-2004, 10:45 AM
never went on it, but I have heard "tales" of a ride such as that in the former motor boat "lagoon"

jasonpbyu
08-10-2004, 10:47 AM
Does anyone remember a kiddie ride at Disneyland based on Disney's animated series The Adventures of the Gummi Bears (the series ran from 1985-1991)? It would have involved small boats on a track of some kind. I have an ongoing argument with my aunt about this. I seem to remember going on such a ride with her, later at night, right before we went to see a stage showing of Beauty and the Beast. It would have been sometime around 1990-1992. I'm really not sure what year. And I don't think the ride was around for very long, as I remember it mostly just consisting of big "carboard-like" cutouts of the characters from the show that you drove past in your little boat. It was hardly exciting. But I swear that it existed...does anyone else remember it/have proof that it existed??? I want to know that I'm not crazy...but I suppose I could be!

Thanks!! :D

http://www.yesterland.com/motorboat.html

sounds like they had characters along the path the kids boats traveled.

"In 1991, as part of the Disney Afternoon Avenue event, the Motor Boat Cruise became the Motor Boat Cruise to Gummi Glen. Plywood characters from Disney's animated Gummi Bears television series made Gummi Berry juice along the waterway. "

SarahShep
08-10-2004, 10:48 AM
I am SO GLAD you've at least heard of it. LOL...I was beginning to think that I had gone completely crazy. I was only about 7-9 years old at the time, so my Aunt certainly doesn't want to believe my kid memory over her adult one! I hope someone has pictures or something...

SarahShep
08-10-2004, 10:50 AM
http://www.yesterland.com/motorboat.html

sounds like they had characters along the path the kids boats traveled.

"In 1991, as part of the Disney Afternoon Avenue event, the Motor Boat Cruise became the Motor Boat Cruise to Gummi Glen. Plywood characters from Disney's animated Gummi Bears television series made Gummi Berry juice along the waterway. "

Whoo hoo! Thanks!!! LOL...I feel vindicated!

sami869
08-10-2004, 11:14 AM
http://www.juliestudio.com/DA/gummi.html

If you scroll down they even have pictures

Jon Vincible
08-10-2004, 11:17 AM
I too remember this ride and i too was very young at the time. It was kinda cheap but the Gummi Bears TV show was one of my favorites.

sdfilmcritic
08-10-2004, 11:52 PM
Yep, it did exist! I had rode it several times when it was open. The old motorboat ride was simply decorated with the characters from the show and that was the only change made to that ride.

Lilo
08-11-2004, 01:22 AM
I loved that show! I was a tot during the original airing of the show so I don't remember watching it then (if I even did at all), but they played the reruns a couple years later and again (or still...?) several years later on Toon Disney, I believe. Anyways, there's no way I'd be able to remember the ride. According to my parents, though, I did ride on it a couple times. :fez:

It would've been cool if they had made a kiddie log ride like the one in the underground Gummi escape place. But they didn't. So it'd be relatively useless now, or perhaps even then, too. :(

spectromen
08-11-2004, 08:09 AM
All of Small World Mall was also decorated as Afternoon Avenue that year. This is before all the new viewing areas and light towers had been installed for Light Magic, and the souvenir shop was still there off to the right side of the street. It was nice that they invested some money in an older ride at that time. True, it was only cutouts, but a great way to increase ridership, I thought.

LOYL2DZNY
08-11-2004, 09:41 AM
wow....i feel so old! i never got a chance to see that one. i was in my teen years so i was "too cool" to go to DL then (i would've only been able to go w/the fam at that age). i remember the boats, but when i was a kid...they were just boats...no gummi bear cut outs on the shoreline.
either way...it's always fun taking a trip down memory lane...even though it reminds me of how old i'm getting. :crying: ;)

splashmtngurl
08-11-2004, 10:15 AM
at least you GOT to see them! i never saw any of these things.....infact i barley remember the people mover and skyway and such things. It really stinks......i never can join in on these disscussions....i cant say i know anything about the ride in question! GRRRRR!!!! lol....... ;)

LOYL2DZNY
08-11-2004, 10:20 AM
at least you GOT to see them! i never saw any of these things.....infact i barley remember the people mover and skyway and such things. It really stinks......i never can join in on these disscussions....i cant say i know anything about the ride in question! GRRRRR!!!! lol....... ;)

if you don't mind me asking...what was the reason for not seeing these things? age? not able to go? just wondering. :)