PDA

View Full Version : Filming Policy for ToT

Jon Vincible
08-09-2004, 08:05 PM
Why is it against the rules to flim inside the Tower of Terror? I've come to the conclusion that they don't want you to film movie rides for one reason or another. Is it against the rules to film ToT because of the movie-like effects with the ghosts? Or maybe it's a safety thing. For instance dropping your camera on someone's head. Any insight into this would be appreciated.

SCUBAbe
08-09-2004, 09:05 PM
I don't know for sure, but I think saftey reasons would be one. It's also a preety dark ride so I'll you'll capture on film is flashes of light and people screaming. Unless you have an onboard light, but then the light could ruin the effects and it would annoy soem people.

Disneyfreak
08-09-2004, 09:51 PM
You could drop your camera while its falling and it could hit someone in the head hard.

uvsc_wolverine
08-09-2004, 09:55 PM
I think that it also has something to do with copyright issues

DisneylandForever
08-10-2004, 05:39 AM
You could drop your camera while its falling and it could hit someone in the head hard.

I don't think that's the reason. I had my video camera with me last time I rode it, and because ToT has no under seat compartments, I kept my camera on my lap and held it with one hand. I actually keep it on my lap even on the rides with under seat compartments. I'm paranoid I'll get off the ride and forget it!

They don't let you record on Soarin' either. I actually had a run-in with Disney security a few weeks ago when I was filming my cousin walking in DL. He stopped me and asked me what I was doing. I responded (in my most sarcastic voice possible) "I'm taking home movies. I'm in Disneyland." He went on to say something about videos showing up on the internet or something, but I just walked off.

So I guess they're cracking down on the filming of newer attractions to keep people from seeing it online, so if they wanna see what rides like ToT looks like, they'll have to take a trip to the park itself. Just my guess.

sdfilmcritic
08-10-2004, 05:56 AM
...He went on to say something about videos showing up on the internet or something, but I just walked off...
I wonder if this had anything to do with the "terrorist scare" talked about in the other thread(s). Oh, no! We got a terrorist in our midst doing video surveillance of her own kid! Oh, no!

DisneylandForever
08-10-2004, 06:14 AM
I wonder if this had anything to do with the "terrorist scare" talked about in the other thread(s). Oh, no! We got a terrorist in our midst doing video surveillance of her own kid! Oh, no!

Um, I hope that "her" wasn't in reference to me. :mad:

Oh wait, you said kid. I at first thought it said kind. LOL, nevermind.

I know! And I was the only guy he stopped (as I looked around there were about 20 other guys with camcorders). I even asked my cousin, "do I look like a video pirate?"

Avast!

sdfilmcritic
08-10-2004, 06:28 AM
With no reference to anyone specific, but with the security gaurd comment I was imagining this completely innocent mother, guilty of nothing so terrible as terrorism, videotaping her son's or daughter's first visit to the park when the evil doer security gaurd approaches her with great hostility. For his only weakness is having his video image taken and spread through Internet forums, just like this one!

Okay, okay. It may sound stupid and lacks a real punchline. But the imagery seemed funny in my mind. A comic book style type of thing. Okay... I'll stop typing now.

DisneylandForever
08-10-2004, 06:45 AM
For his only weakness is having his video image taken and spread through Internet forums, just like this one!

Okay, okay. It may sound stupid and lacks a real punchline. But the imagery seemed funny in my mind. A comic book style type of thing. Okay... I'll stop typing now.

LOL - I just misread your first post.

Even though I was extremely irritated at the time, I look back at it and just laugh. I mean, even if I was a "video pirate" (I was filming my cousin walking by Innoventions, at the time), 2 things come to mind: 1) When he asked me what I was doing, was he really expecting me to respond with "I am a video pirate," and 2) who would wanna see Innoventions online when they don't even wanna see it in person? :p

Lilo
08-10-2004, 08:47 AM
Even though I was extremely irritated at the time, I look back at it and just laugh. I mean, even if I was a "video pirate" (I was filming my cousin walking by Innoventions, at the time), 2 things come to mind: 1) When he asked me what I was doing, was he really expecting me to respond with "I am a video pirate," and 2) who would wanna see Innoventions online when they don't even wanna see it in person?

ROFL very true, particularly #2!

RagtimePrince
08-10-2004, 08:51 AM
I believe you can't film because of the mirror effect. From what I can tell, it works by using the back of the elevator like a blue screen, so if a light or something were on, it would create a big halo that would mess that up.

I'm just guessing that it works through digitally subtracting the car, the filming policy might just have more to do with the danger of loose articles.

Mickeyslittlehelper
08-10-2004, 08:57 AM
When I went on the Mummy in Orlando they were very strict. I was going to take pictures of the outside entrance/que and they freaked at me. I still ended up getting pictures inside, and on the ride.

Ghoulish Delight
08-10-2004, 09:12 AM
The "no filming" policy did not come about until AFTER a video of the ride began to circulate around the internet. Coincidence? Perhaps. However, I rode the ride 9 times and not once did they say anything about filming, then I saw the video online, and very next time I went (within a week), they were saying no filming.