PDA

View Full Version : Hands up! HURL if you dare

Pages : [1] 2

Merm8fan
08-09-2004, 04:34 PM
Just about the only rule I break at DLR is raising my arms on the rides. I justify my defiance because I am a measly 5'4" and even with arms up I do not measure up to the average basketball player.

Having admitted my guilt, I want others to share in the peace that comes from confession, and hereby start the HURL (Hands Up Recreational Living) support group.

Hands Up Thrill Factors for DLR Atttractions:

Two Hands Up - Very Exciting
One Hand Up - Moderately Enjoyable
No Hands Up - No Point in Bothering

Today, I will list the rides I consider "Two Hands Up:"

1) Space Mountain - Two Hands Up! Gut-check time, you can't see enough to confirm "head room" - it's all about faith, trust... and pixie dust!

2) Matterhorn - Two Hands Up! Handholds are for sissies! Nothing holding you in but the "seat belts." Are you sure yours clicked all the way in?

3) California Screamin' - Two Hands Up! Can you conquer the force of the inverted loop? Lock those elbows!

4) Big Thunder Mountain - Two Hands Up! Of course you can clear that pillar of redrock... of course that mine shaft ceiling is high enough...

5) Splash Mountain - Two Hands Up! It is simply the best way to catch more water on the way down.

6) Tower of Terror - Two Hands Up! Extra points just for being able to keep your hands up the whole ride. (Only counts in the back row, so as to not interfere with the other passengers "view.")

Want to be a HURLer? Join the group by speaking up below. All are welcome, and there are no dumb questions.

Next meeting: One Hand Up rides. See you all there!

CoasterChickie
08-09-2004, 04:38 PM
Too funny! :~D

Unfortunately, I cannot join your club as I am a big "Chickie" on the rides and never put my hands up! :crying:

SallySkellington
08-09-2004, 04:40 PM
I can think of one other two hands up ride- Orange Stinger. Go ahead, put 'em up! That sophisticated safety equipment is sure to keep you in. ;)

SCUBAbe
08-09-2004, 04:48 PM
I don't put my hands up very often, it's just not a big deal for me...LOL,but here's my list:

1) Space Mountain - no..

2) Matterhorn - nope, I'm to busy holding my chest. (I have got to remember to wear my jog bra to DL...LOL :)

3) California Screamin' - I have, but my arms do not fit very well past the restraints and it hurts...:(

4) Big Thunder Mountain - I have, but nor lately. We tend to slide into each other on that ride...LOL...I need to hold on to stay keep from sliding..:)

5) Splash Mountain - yes, but not everytime...It tends to mess up the picture.:)

6) Tower of Terror - Nope to busy screaming...which brings up the next club...

we scream on a few rides. When we don't scream it wasn't scream worthy...so we do not scream on BTMR, Matterhorn, muhalland madness..we always scream on screamin, TOT, sometimes splash....It great example is the ninja at MM. We went on that and were not that impressed. It was ok, but not scream worthy...:)

CarlieB
08-09-2004, 04:51 PM
Alas, I too am a big chicken when it comes to these things...you might catch me with my hands up on POTC...:D Seriously though - I think I did it once on Big Thuder - I was so proud of myself. And then there was the infamous "YMCA" shot a group of us tried to do on Splash, but I'm not sure if that counts (I was the A, by the way). Seriously, I'm a big chicken.

disneyhound
08-09-2004, 04:52 PM
I even two hands up on PC, there are two drops in the dark; but not for the terror, but for the elbow in the ribs and the embarassment to my daughter, plus the "Oohh Dadddd..." :rolleyes:

disneymania
08-09-2004, 05:07 PM
I don't hold my hands all the way up, but my husband and I always, on every "big" ride, see who can keep their hands in hover position above the restraints. The first one to touch has to buy the other person a little something special. :D

Opus1guy
08-09-2004, 05:09 PM
5) Splash Mountain - Two Hands Up! It is simply the best way to catch more water on the way down.

I've seen Splash Flash photos of folks with more than their hands up on this one. ;)

Sheila
08-09-2004, 05:10 PM
1) Space Mountain - Two Hands Up! Gut-check time, you can't see enough to confirm "head room" - it's all about faith, trust... and pixie dust!

If you were to have ever ridden Space Mountain with the lights on, you would never, ever raise your arms up any more after that.... I guarantee it. ;)

Sheila

BriarRose
08-09-2004, 07:31 PM
Haha, I'll join! I stand at the towering height of 5'1, lol. Shouldn't be too dangerous.

missm
08-09-2004, 07:58 PM
I love to hold my hands up on all of those rides mentioned above, with one exception: I've never rode TOT. It opened like a week after I was there last. Sometimes I feel like the people behind me are irritated because my hands are up, so then I put them down. So what is TOT like? How are you seated? What are the drops like? Please don't compare the drops to the MB because I've never been on that ride.

The Lovely Mrs. tod
08-09-2004, 08:53 PM
Okay, so which one of you had their hands in front of my kids faces in the Splash Mountain picture? :confused:

Pedro2NR
08-09-2004, 08:56 PM
I put my legsup too when I'm on Tower (only when Im on the front row due to more space and Im short).

SCUBAbe
08-09-2004, 09:01 PM
Okay, so which one of you had their hands in front of my kids faces in the Splash Mountain picture? :confused:
opps...sorry..:(

slydini
08-10-2004, 05:27 AM
Up untill my last visit to DLR I would only have my hands up on BTMRR. My wife put her hands up on Splash Mountain only long enough for the picture.

After a few rides on ToT I went on Splash Mountain and held my hands up the entire time. It was great. I figured if I could do that I could do it on ToT. Well I did. That ride is a whole new experience with your hands up!!

sdfilmcritic
08-10-2004, 05:53 AM
What's "BTMRR"?

DisneylandForever
08-10-2004, 06:02 AM
What's "BTMRR"?

Big Thunder Mountain RailRoad.

I put mine up on Indy, at the end with the boulder. On the Matterhorn I'm grippin' those steel bars to keep from being a human pinball. On Space Mountain I wouldn't because I am 6'1", and there are some "low bridges" in there! On Big Thunder I am usually concentrating on squishing my riding partner during turns. On Splash I don't, because I'm in full-on "pose" for the camera. :cool:

Sometimes I put my arms up on Mr. Toad, when you crash through the fireplace. :p

rentayenta
08-10-2004, 06:05 AM
I am too busy holding the little hands of my children to hold my own hands up :)

sdfilmcritic
08-10-2004, 06:16 AM
Does anyone like to throw their hands in to the air on Matterhorn when you hit the sudden dip toward the end. The dip I'm referring to is on the Tommorrowland side. I haven't rode the Fantasyland side in years. But it has become a tradition of mine to ride Matterhorn by leaning in to the turns and raising my hands in the air on the dip. I have that side memorized. Maybe I should mix things up once in a while and ride the Fantasyland side next time.

DisneylandForever
08-10-2004, 06:30 AM
I have that side memorized. Maybe I should mix things up once in a while and ride the Fantasyland side next time.

It's good to mix it up, but the Tomorrowland side is more fun because of that dip. Last time my cousin went to the Fantasyland side because the line was shorter. He swore there was a dip on both sides. I didn't argue. And while we were on the ride towards the end I showed him the dip as we passed it and yelled "You see! We missed it!" LOL - he was so "moded."

AlxVision360
08-10-2004, 08:37 AM
I prefer the major thrill of keeping my hands way up on It's a Small World. Especially when the boats bump. Woohoo! ;) :p

sami869
08-10-2004, 10:32 AM
Well I'm 5'7" and my boyfriend is 6'2" so putting our hands up on some rides could end up causing a broken wrist or worse. I used to put my hands up on Splash when I was a kid but now I'm too scared to. :(

Biscuit
08-10-2004, 05:06 PM

Err...me? I didn't realize until I bought the photo. I was very ashamed and wondered if that might have pee'd off some mom :( (March 2003)

SCUBAbe
08-10-2004, 05:19 PM
Err...me? I didn't realize until I bought the photo. I was very ashamed and wondered if that might have pee'd off some mom :( (March 2003)
I tend to do that on splash, but it isn't a big deal. We always have 4 to 5 people with us so I only block my family..LOL..one time we had to go on twice in a row because they decided after I had my hands up that they wanted the pic. Well, if they had told me first they would have been down..LOL

Photographer
08-11-2004, 07:08 AM
2 hands up on:

Indiana before when you dive under the ball.
Go Coaster (I'm cool like that)
Pirates, both drops
Peter Pan (more like I'm flapping)
Orange Stinger (Peter Pan pose)