PDA

View Full Version : Videotapes Show Terrorist Surveillance of Las Vegas Hotels, Disneyland - 8/9/04

Lani
08-09-2004, 01:26 PM
Videotapes Show Terrorist Surveillance of Las Vegas Hotels, Disneyland (http://www.successmtgs.com/successmtgs/headlines/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000603298) - Successful Meetings, 8/9/04

According to the Associated Press, terrorist cells in Detroit and Spain possessed videotapes that apparent Al-Qaida operatives in surveillance of Disneyland, as well as other American landmarks in Las Vegas, New York City, and Hollywood.

The AP obtained tapes seized by U.S. and Spanish authorities showing nearly identical footage of how vehicles could access the various sites along with other security information valuable in launching attacks, the wire service reported.
The Detroit tapes were seized in connection with a federal case last year in which four men were accused of operating a terrorist sleeper cell that possessed attack plans, according to the AP.

Squishy
08-09-2004, 01:27 PM
Old news and already all over the papers months ago. Thanks for nothing new.

AVP
08-09-2004, 01:49 PM
Old news and already all over the papers months ago. Thanks for nothing new.BAD Lani! Bad! How dare you post a link to an article that is a whole 12 hours old. BAD girl! You should be ashamed of yourself. Next time, I want those links posted in under 60 minutes!

:rolleyes:

AVP

Lilo
08-09-2004, 01:59 PM
LOL What nerve! ;)

nursemelis374
08-09-2004, 02:04 PM
That is scary! Thanks for that info Lani! However, nothing short of them actually blowing up the DLR would be able to keep me away!

Lani
08-09-2004, 02:05 PM
What's specifically relevant is that the four men in the Detroit sleeper cells are on trial right now, and this is being discussed again.

Here's a link (http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/nation/terror/20040809-0528-terrortrial.html) to another, longer article.

CarlieB
08-09-2004, 02:39 PM
BAD Lani! Bad! How dare you post a link to an article that is a whole 12 hours old. BAD girl! You should be ashamed of yourself. Next time, I want those links posted in under 60 minutes!

:rolleyes:

AVP
I think the point was that this stuff was reported months ago. Obviously it's somewhat relevant again as they're in court, but this seems somewhat of an overreaction, no? Anyway, interesting stuff.

sediment
08-09-2004, 02:53 PM
Nothing about surveillance of DCA?

rats.

splashmtngurl
08-09-2004, 06:13 PM
Talk about chewing peoples heads off! /\/\ GEE WIZZ!!!!! :rolleyes:

cryan71
08-09-2004, 07:19 PM
Nothing about surveillance of DCA?

rats.

Best post ever!

Disney Vault
08-09-2004, 08:29 PM
No Kidding ^

JeffG
08-10-2004, 10:26 AM
I actually thought that post was extremely tacky, tasteless, and incredibly inappropriate. I don't think it is funny to joke about wishing a terrorist attack on one of the parks.

-Jeff

sediment
08-10-2004, 12:24 PM
Can't please everyone.

BJW
08-11-2004, 01:35 AM
Do you guys think Irby or whoever is in charge of security now is tightening things up with this being in the news? ..Hope so!

sediment
08-11-2004, 08:39 AM
I thought there was plenty of tightening up right after 9/11. Why increase it now?
Anyplace where 25000+ people might be gathered is a terrorist's target.
Any "Symbol of America" is a terrorist's target.
I thought this was obvious. And that's why security was increased after 9/11.

Klutch
08-11-2004, 01:49 PM
As I understand it, the reason this subject is in the news now is because although California officials made the effort to view the tapes months ago and actually do something about it, Las Vegas officials refused to even look at the tapes. They were afraid that if they accepted the FBI's invitation to view "casing" videos of Las Vegas, and an attack came later, they could be held legally liable for not providing adequate security after being warned. They reasoned that if they had never seen the tapes, they could not be held liable for an attack.

The fact that Disneyland was among the places being cased by terrorists makes it relevant to the Disneyland discussion board (even though it was previously reported months ago). Thus, I think Lani is right-on for posting the article. For some reason, an old, outdated 1970's term comes to mind: You "Kee On Truckin' " Lani! :D