PDA

View Full Version : Will Space Mt. Make It All OK?

Niwel
08-09-2004, 11:41 AM
I've been getting this strange feeling when I go to Disneyland -- I've noticed it more lately. I'm now certain that it isn't Big Thunder or Tiki or even the Villians Shop. After all this time I KNOW it is because Space Mountain is closed.
I am now convinced that when it reopens, things will feel different, the planets will align and my "trip planning" will go back to normal. Not starting my day in Tommorowland has been throwing me off....
Anyone else get that vibe?

Then again it might have just been the heat. ;)

Lilo
08-09-2004, 01:01 PM
I couldn't agree more :D

Pat-n-Eil
08-09-2004, 02:45 PM
Yes. That used to be our whole routine.. Space Mountain got one of the first rides from us. Then the kids could go do Autopia or something while my wife waited and had coffee and I'd cruise for FastPasses.

I agree with you that, while it isn't the complete Savior of Tomorrowland's future.. it is certainly a huge portion of what is missing there at the present.

ppmuse
08-09-2004, 02:46 PM
Even when Space Mountain opens, I think that area is still going to be dead. It will be hard for me to walk over there more than 3 times a day just to ride Space Mountain. There's going to need to be more push to go over there. In the middle of the day, we use to go over to Tomorrowland to relax in Circle Vision, People Mover, America Sings, or Captain EO. Then we would hop on Space Mountain. Just because Space is open, doesn't mean there's going to be life in the Ghost Town of Tomorrow. More people will be going into Tomorrowland to ride Space Mountain, but they won't be sticking around.

merlinjones
08-09-2004, 04:57 PM
I've been feeling that way since Skyway closed....

WishUponAStar
08-09-2004, 05:48 PM
I wish I could agree with you Niwel but I think the problems in Tomorrowland are way more complex than just the loss of Space Mountain. I can't imagine the theming of the new version to be significantly better than the old one to make up for all the other problems that Tomorrowland has. Space Mountain IS a great ride to be sure, but I'm not putting all my hopes into it being the one thing to bring back the wonder of the Tomorrowland of the past.

I've never been on the Buzz Lightyear attraction in WDW so I can't really comment on it, but even if it is great too, there still is so much wasted space in TL that it will still seem bare.

I miss being able to sit down and relax yet still SEE so much on the Peoplemover. I miss the uniqueness of the Submarines. I miss the awesome and breathtaking aerial views from the Skyway. I miss the thrilling/scary sensation of flying 4 stories up on the old Rocket Jets - not the ho-hum Dumbo...errr Astro Orbiter version. I even miss zipping around TL at night on the somewhat (very?) underated Rocket Rods.

Innoventions is really boring (try as I might to enjoy it). Honey I Shrunk the Audience needs to be replaced. Cosmic Waves is...gone (which is probably a good thing). Star Tours looks REALLY dated with the old style visual wipes and film techniques used. Even the Starcade is only half utilized!

Space Mountain will be magnificent I'm sure, but I can't realistically see it making Tomorrowland more than just a stop on the way to some other land. Here's to Space Mountain and Buzz Lightyear being just the BEGINNING...

On a side note, Just would like to say hey to all you fellow Disney fans - I finally registered after an awful lot of lurking. Looking forward to some good discussions and hopefully I wont do something stupid! ;)

splashmtngurl
08-09-2004, 06:10 PM
I get the feeling that tommorrowland is sort of dead to! Of course maybe thats because it is....i dunno ;) but i am convinced that it wont have that same feeling next time i go to the park. We are planning a trip sometime in 2005 or 2006 and by then space mtn will be open, the new buzz lightear space ranger spin and possibly even the submarines as a nemo ride. Now if all goes well than we will have three new attractions open in that area and with wishful thinking: perhaps some new paint? I think cast member matt is finally getting tommorrowland back up on its feet. ANYTHING will make a difference in tommorrowland seeing as the only thing i find worth visiting there is the premiere shop :p I do get that vibe though and i totally agree!

Disney Vault
08-09-2004, 08:27 PM
I think tomorrowland is turning around. And we may even see a new 3D movie and a new star tour movie in the not to far future (aka when Eisner leaves)

sdfilmcritic
08-10-2004, 12:52 AM
Even when Space Mountain opens, I think that area is still going to be dead. It will be hard for me to walk over there more than 3 times a day just to ride Space Mountain. There's going to need to be more push to go over there. In the middle of the day, we use to go over to Tomorrowland to relax in Circle Vision, People Mover, America Sings, or Captain EO. Then we would hop on Space Mountain. Just because Space is open, doesn't mean there's going to be life in the Ghost Town of Tomorrow. More people will be going into Tomorrowland to ride Space Mountain, but they won't be sticking around.
What's was the name of the one sci-fi movie called? "Ghost of Mars"?

DisneylandForever
08-10-2004, 05:55 AM
Even when Space Mountain opens, I think that area is still going to be dead.

Don't forget that by the time SM re-opens, Buzz Lightyear will have already opened. While Tomorrowland will not possess its original glory (still no peoplemover, skyway, a someday-nemo-will-replace-the-subs-ride looming, the real rocket jets, etc), it will be a lot less of a ghost town.

I sort of agree with the original post. It is weird not having SM. However to be honest I would still go to DL even if all the E-tickets were down. I mean I wouldn't go out of my way to go on an E-ticketless weekend, but I wouldn't cancel plans either. The real magic (overused word, I know - but what else can you use) comes with the sights, sounds, and smells of just being in the park. Dipping into a shop or a show during the hot afternoon. Walking by the Rivers of America at dusk. Main street at night. New Orleans Square any time of the day. The return of innocence, and the distant memory of some sort of problem you may have had before you walked through those gates.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
08-28-2004, 12:42 PM
We always start off in Tomorrowland too, and it makes it hard to even go back there. Thankfully my almost 3yo loves BUZZ so we go back for the stage show, and the great garlic bread at the Pizza Port, but I am hoping that once Space Mountain opens again it will bring back the magic in Tomorrowland.

RemainSeatedPlease
08-30-2004, 04:43 PM
yea since it's been closed it just doesn't feel the same...can't wait till it's open again

Disneyfreak
08-30-2004, 05:29 PM
I think if they could bring back the submarine voyage and repaint the entire land white again, I think it will add a lot to tomorrowland again. They should return the layout to the way Walt Disney's men designed it.

Disney Vault
08-30-2004, 06:29 PM
I think if they could bring back the submarine voyage and repaint the entire land white again, I think it will add a lot to tomorrowland again. They should return the layout to the way Walt Disney's men designed it.
Thats would make such a huge difference right there.

Klutch
08-30-2004, 08:08 PM
From my point of view, the Space Mountain area has been weird since Tomorrowland was remodeled. When the attraction first opened, it was INCREDIBLY cool. The ramp actually moved and literally pulled you into the queue area. There was a very large stage which featured popular acts. I saw Peaches and Herb there (yes, I'm dating myself). While waiting in line, you could watch the People Mover glide by. Also, everything was always incredibly clean and freshly painted. This really made a big difference in how it felt to be there.

Now there's so much dead space everywhere it's like visiting ancient ruins. I expect a tour guide to come out and say, "We think this area was once used for outdoor entertainment. Below us was likely a large arcade". I find it insane that a park so limited in available space wastes more square footage than any park on the planet. Between the Space Mountain area and the former submarine lagoon there's enough room for another theme park. One would think Paul Pressler would have opened the world's largest McDonald's next to Space Mountain. To simply not use such vast areas defies all logic.

Dory
08-30-2004, 08:17 PM
I find it insane that a park so limited in available space wastes more square footage than any park on the planet. Between the Space Mountain area and the former submarine lagoon there's enough room for another theme park.

Thats a good point. It seems in the past dozen years or so, all the new rides have been built on the other side of the park (Splash Mountain, Indiana Jones, Winnie the Pooh). I don't really count Honey i Shrunk the Audience or Innoventions as rides. They need to build another ride on that side of the park to balance it out.