PDA

View Full Version : Fantasmic News and Info

sdfilmcritic
08-09-2004, 06:34 AM
I was at DL yesterday (8/8) and watched the second showing of Fantasmic (10:15 pm) and noticed they are adding or experimenting new lighting and special stage smoke effects into the show.

Malificent's new lighting effect -- In the past it always annoyed my that when Malificent was growing taller so that she could morph into the dragon the stage's lights were too dark and you really couldn't see her "grow" taller. Well, during this part the left side stage light tower points the major of it's lamps on Malificent creating a strong dramatic light effect that clearly shows her through the water screen that starts to show clips of the dragon.

Smoke effects have always been a part of the show, on purpose from stage smoke or on accident from fireworks explosions. Well, during key scenes such as the transformation of Evil Queen (Snow White) which had TOO much stage smoke, and the dragon and Mickey face off which had a great touch of bubbling smoke below the dragon.

There are also a huge difference in the use of lasers at the end. I always remembered green laser behind Sorcerer Mickey in the grand finale, but not multi-colored lasers as I had seen last night. I think the tech people or maybe Disney executives have gotten in to the experimental mode to try new things out.

Also, I have a couple questions to ask everyone's opinion about regarding the show.

1) If Buzz and Woody are seen on the Mark Twain in the grand finale, how come Pocahontas is no where to be found? We have a Space Alien (oops, Ranger!), but no American Indian princess?

2) Is it my imagination (ha, ha) or is the two pirates who stand in the front left corner of the ship Columbia (Peter Pan sequence) on every Sunday night performance are really two girls with fake beards strap to their faces? I had to mention this when I noticed it last weekend and then saw the same two faces hiding behind the beards last night as well.

3) Last weekend I also noticed the show's use of surround sound. Does anyone else remember how long they've implemented this feature?

stan4d_steph
08-09-2004, 06:53 AM
Regarding #2 above: there are some women in drag playing pirates. You can see the performers up close from the platform to the right of the Mark Twain loading dock.

AVP
08-09-2004, 12:43 PM
Well, during key scenes such as the transformation of Evil Queen (Snow White) which had TOO much stage smokeThe "witch switch" has to have a lot of smoke to hide the mechanics. During that part the Old Hag say "imagine this," and I usually think to myself, "I have to imagine it, because I can't see anything."

1) If Buzz and Woody are seen on the Mark Twain in the grand finale, how come Pocahontas is no where to be found? We have a Space Alien (oops, Ranger!), but no American Indian princess? I'm positive I've seen Pocahontas and John Smith on the Twain, as well as Meeko and the Gov.

2) Is it my imagination (ha, ha) or is the two pirates who stand in the front left corner of the ship Columbia (Peter Pan sequence) on every Sunday night performance are really two girls with fake beards strap to their faces? I had to mention this when I noticed it last weekend and then saw the same two faces hiding behind the beards last night as well. There are several female pirates - I believe they are known as the Petal/Pirate/Fiber cast, for the three roles they play in the show. (I think there is also a petal/pirate/rubberhead cast)

Lilo
08-09-2004, 01:31 PM
1) If Buzz and Woody are seen on the Mark Twain in the grand finale, how come Pocahontas is no where to be found? We have a Space Alien (oops, Ranger!), but no American Indian princess?

I've seen the Pocahontas characters (Pocahontas, John Smith, Governor Ratcliffe, Meeko) on the Mark Twain during the finale. I haven't sat down in watched Fantasmic since May, though, so maybe they took them out or maybe they're only during weekdays or something.

2) Is it my imagination (ha, ha) or is the two pirates who stand in the front left corner of the ship Columbia (Peter Pan sequence) on every Sunday night performance are really two girls with fake beards strap to their faces? I had to mention this when I noticed it last weekend and then saw the same two faces hiding behind the beards last night as well.

I've seen them before, as well as girl pirates without beards. I think the girls without beards are also neon monkeys and a set of some other characters.

3) Last weekend I also noticed the show's use of surround sound. Does anyone else remember how long they've implemented this feature?

I believe the surround sound is at least a year or two old, but I could be wrong.

sdfilmcritic
08-10-2004, 12:18 AM
The witch switch (Evil Queen) had overkill of smoke last Sunday night. I was sitting at my favorite sport directly in front of the old shack (just off center from the sound board) and I could only see the old hag between little short breaks in the smoke. Even the shack was almost complete blocked by the smoke. I think it was an accident in letting out too much.

Regarding Pocahontas, I didn't consider rotation of characters. Certain characters, such as those from Toy Story or Alice in Wonderland, I thought I remember seeing at every performance I watched of the show. After racking my brain I had never remembered seeing any of the Pocahontas characters in previous shows. I do remember reading somewhere that she has a limited appearance time during the week for autograph signings. I think it was she only appears in the park Friday through Sunday. (Did I read this right?)

I was wondering if the surround sound speakers were installed when the POTC movie was having it's premiere last year.

AaronInCal
08-10-2004, 06:08 AM
I remember the surround sound being part of the show for at least the last few years. I remember because I always notice it and think how cool it is! One thing I do believe is fairly new are the strobe lights which make the "lightning" when the evil stuff is happening. They have had the strobes in the show for years, but they just seem much more brighter and more intense now. It's great!

sdfilmcritic
08-11-2004, 11:10 PM
There are several female pirates - I believe they are known as the Petal/Pirate/Fiber cast, for the three roles they play in the show. (I think there is also a petal/pirate/rubberhead cast)
Just trying to figure out what is what: A person who is hired to be in this group will portray a petal, ape/monkey, or Sheer Kahn in the Jungle Book sequence, followed by playing a pirate in the Peter Pahn sequence followed by playing a costumed character (not a face character) in the Mark Twain finale?

no1here
08-12-2004, 06:49 AM
Just trying to figure out what is what: A person who is hired to be in this group will portray a petal, ape/monkey, or Sheer Kahn in the Jungle Book sequence, followed by playing a pirate in the Peter Pahn sequence followed by playing a costumed character (not a face character) in the Mark Twain finale?

Exactly. A friend of mine who was an original cast member was an ape, pirate and a duck. Most people play 3 roles in the show.

sdfilmcritic
08-12-2004, 06:55 AM
Cool! Can I be a monkey, a pirate, and a rubberhead? I was looking at some of the standard audition dates and times they had listed on the website. They don't fit into my schedule, dang it! Well, I could still dream, can't it?

MrTomMorrow
08-12-2004, 09:52 AM
I thought surround sound was there from the start. They have speakers all around (even in the buildings on NOS), and that contributes to the effect. If anyone has the original F! soundtrack, you can really hear the surround sound effects if you listen to the finale on headphones.