PDA

View Full Version : Downtown Disney Rapid Transit System

Animalia
08-08-2004, 02:19 PM
A recent thread about the Monorail touched lightly on the issue of some kind of transportation up and down DtD. I myself have walked to one end of DtD only to groan that I now had to walk all the way back. A member of my family & I were staying at the DL Hotel recently. She has a bad knee and, after walking all day, had to stop twice on the way back to the hotel so she could give her knee a rest. No blame to Disney here. It was just an unusually taxing day for her knee and some light transportation would've been nice.
I considered perhaps a PeopleMover system. Of course it would have to be elivated but with the way DtD is laid out it would be difficult to incorporate into the atmosphere and architecture. A moving walkway like you find at airports would be impractical and, as pointed out in the Monorail thread, some kind of cart/shuttle/tram service would be a pedestrian hazard.
Is it possible for there to be a convenient, comfortable way to transport guests up and down DtD and still keep the "resort" feel of the place?

This is one of those things to makes me go "Hmmmm."

Tutter
08-08-2004, 02:49 PM
There is the transportation from the car parks to the park entrances, and of course the monorails for people in the hotels, but I suppose really the problem is if you can't walk from the hotels to the park entrance you are not going to do too well in the parks themselves.

I absolutely empathise with you on that feeling at the end of a day walking where suddenly coming out of the park you realise you have over done it and simply can't get back to your hotel and car without a struggle - I never learn :D . But I suppose ultimately, the way it is laid out, Disney are not going to pay lots of money out for further transportation when two forms already exist.

disneymania
08-08-2004, 02:52 PM
I agree. I walk so much at Disneyland and CA that my feet hurt so much in the morning I can barely walk. And I'm only 32 and in pretty good shape. But in the off-season, without all the lines, all you do is walk walk walk. I lost 7lbs on my last trip, and was'nt watching what I ate! So going to DTD at night? We did it once.

sleepyjeff
08-08-2004, 03:31 PM
Skyway???

Would not interfere much with the atmosphere, and construction would be a breeze compared to an elevated PM type system. :)

CoasterChickie
08-08-2004, 03:44 PM
Skyway???

I was just going to say the same thing!! :)