PDA

View Full Version : Matterhorn--a or b?

Pages : [1] 2

Ace
11-13-2001, 04:40 PM
Which side is better on the Matterhorn? Let's have side "a" be the side that goes up on the left and side "b" the one that goes up on the right. Do they ever run one and not the other?

FantasmicFan82
11-13-2001, 04:58 PM
The Tommorowland side is better. There are 4 monsters, and on the right side there is only 3. And it's cooler cause i said so.

Morrigoon
11-13-2001, 04:58 PM
Often.

Side A is the one with Dolly's Drop, more exciting. Side B is tamer, but has a lovely view of Fantasyland.

Not Afraid
11-13-2001, 05:16 PM
IMO, the Tomorrowland side (A) is better because its faster and more exciting. It was geared to a different (Tomorrowland) audience than the Fantasyland side (B) which was designed for a younger crowd.

Since they've changed the queue, they don't need to shut down the Fantasyland side for the parade. However, on Monday, they shut that side down around 6:00 pm.

By the way, I think the new queue confiquration is confusing. I much prefer the old queue(s).

Morrigoon
11-13-2001, 05:26 PM
The new queue is bad for a couple of reasons. I preferred to stand in line around the side of the mountain, it was more attractive and less crowded feeling. Also, the new queue has ruined my favorite semi-quiet spot in the park. I used to go kick back on those benches back there and people watch. Now if you try to do it the people you're watching are walking on your toes! That area is very crowded and noisy now.

I'm sure there are some good reasons for that queue being the way it is now, but I liked it the old way.

Napsto
11-13-2001, 06:37 PM
i like any ride on the Matterhorn.

Uncle Dick
11-13-2001, 07:18 PM
I prefer the (B) side primarily because it seems to be the one that's always closed, and, as a result, I've ridden it fewer times than side (A). It may just be me, but side (B) also feels a tad bit longer than (A). I also think it's cool the way side (B) goes back into the mountain after splashdown.

Ace
11-13-2001, 07:58 PM
I haven't been on this ride in soooo long...all I can remember about the difference is that one side goes under the other, which goes over a wooden bridge? is that right? I think i've only been on the b-side, and I vaguely remember the reentry into the mountain after the splashdown.

MammaSilva
11-13-2001, 08:00 PM
I have to say I am a A side rider...to the point I was talking my nephew thru the turns and dips LOL... B side is fun for a change of pace but we don't feel like we have actually done the Matterhorn until we have gone on the Tommorowland side :)

innerSpaceman
11-13-2001, 08:10 PM
The Tomorrowland side obviously rules. And 'natch the B side is good for a really weird change of pace. It's the only one of it's kind in the Park - a true alternate version of a ride.

cemeinke
11-13-2001, 08:11 PM
I'm definitely a tomorrowland side man. It's a more exciting ride on that side of the mountain.

Now the other choice, is it better at night, or at day? I've been riding it at night lately and loving it, especially with the holiday lights up. The fog also seems more intense.

I rode it yesterday in the night and in the rain--now that was an experience!

awinner
11-13-2001, 10:07 PM
if memory serves me correct...the tomorrowland side is 3-5mph faster, while the fantasyland side is 12-18 seconds longer...you can also tell that by the line on the fantasyland takes longer to go through.

Napsto
11-13-2001, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by awinner
if memory serves me correct...the tomorrowland sid is 3-5mph faster, while the fantasyland side is 12-18 seconds longer...you can also tell that by the line on the fantasyland takes longer to go through.
great observation

Matterhorn Fan
11-14-2001, 05:03 AM
I read that the Tomorrowland side is the "inside" track, while the Fantasyland side is the "outside" track, which means that the T-land side feels like it's going faster, and is a little shorter, while the F-land side is more tame and a tad bit longer.

It's hard to say with the new queue configuration (doesn't it split when you get up to the queue building now?), but when the queues went on each side of the mountain, the line of the F-land side was often shorter.

FantasmicFan82
11-14-2001, 08:38 AM
The "A" side has a nice view of Small world, and if you go during Christmas, it's great at night. The second turn of the ride, the first time you exit the mountain, there are breaks. a couple of years ago, I got stuck there. got stuck there for about 10 minutes, the CM let us ou to stretch for a minute andhe had taken time to take a pictureof SmallWorls for my party. I have to find that picture, it's Jigga.:)

Ghoulish Delight
11-14-2001, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Matterhorn Fan

It's hard to say with the new queue configuration (doesn't it split when you get up to the queue building now?), but when the queues went on each side of the mountain, the line of the F-land side was often shorter.

The way they have it now, it starts as a single line, but about half way to the queue building it splits. So there are a couple of switch backs after the split before you actually get under the roof. It's kind of rude, really. You can't see the split from outside the line. So I got in line expecting it to split AT the building, so I didn't think the line was very long. But we split half way through, and from that point, the line moved half of fast, of course, since it was then feeding only one side instead of both (is this making sense?), so the line was longer than it looked. Punks.

The Fantasyland side line was usually shorter in length, but as awinner pointed out it moved slower due to longer turnaround time.

cindanzr
11-14-2001, 09:16 AM
Love both sides but if forced to choose, I have to go with the "A" side. Is it just me or does the matterhorn seem to be a bit faster after dark?

Ghoulish Delight
11-14-2001, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by cindanzr
Love both sides but if forced to choose, I have to go with the "A" side. Is it just me or does the matterhorn seem to be a bit faster after dark?

Ah, the age old do coasters go faster at night question. Pretty much, yes. Part of it is perceptual. When it's dark you can't make out your surroundings as well which adds to the feeling of speed and danger. But there is a physical reason too. (Cadaverous Pallor told me this, so I don't take credit for the knowledge. She, in turn, read it somewhere by someon on this site, possibly a column on Mouseplanet, possibly some thread. If you know the source, step forward and place credit). It has long been speculated by laymen that as a coaster runs throughout the day, the track heats up, somehow increasing the speed. What the column or thread or whatever informs us is that it's more specifically the lubricant used on the track that heats up and becomes more fluid, allowing the ride to travel faster.

So the short answer, yes Matterhorn is faster at night.

mad4mky
11-14-2001, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight

Ah, the age old do coasters go faster at night question. Pretty much, yes. Part of it is perceptual. When it's dark you can't make out your surroundings as well which adds to the feeling of speed and danger. But there is a physical reason too. (Cadaverous Pallor told me this, so I don't take credit for the knowledge. She, in turn, read it somewhere by someon on this site, possibly a column on Mouseplanet, possibly some thread. If you know the source, step forward and place credit). It has long been speculated by laymen that as a coaster runs throughout the day, the track heats up, somehow increasing the speed. What the column or thread or whatever informs us is that it's more specifically the lubricant used on the track that heats up and becomes more fluid, allowing the ride to travel faster.

I too have read, and heard this on tv. Perhaps it was on Disney Inside Out? I'm not sure. But they said that Matterhorn, and especially BTM does go faster at night because of the heated up tracks.:)

innerSpaceman
11-14-2001, 11:39 AM
Well, it was I who responded to one of Cadaverous' posts on a different thread with the info that it was actually the track lubricant that heated up, become slicker and resulting in faster cars. But before I go and take credit for that fascinating bit of science, I must reveal that I read it in a MousePlanet column several months ago and just happened to remember it (hopefully correctly)

Matterhorn Fan
11-14-2001, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight

I believe I read something about this at this Super Cool Space Mountain Site (http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Launchpad/9844/index2.html) ! The same concept would apply to the Matterhorn and BTM. Even if that's not where I read it, it's an awesome site.

Napsto
11-14-2001, 12:04 PM
that is so cool that the rides go faster at night.

PirateoftheCaribbean
11-14-2001, 01:16 PM
I'm torn on this one. The FL side has a great view, but the TL side is so fast and thrilling.:D

Ace
11-14-2001, 07:12 PM
do they always run both sides, or is it usually just one side on low attendance days? and I think I know what you're talking about with the line....

you get into one line, not one or the other like before. (where does this line start?) then you walk and it splits into the a side or the b side... and then goes back and forth and then under the awning and finally onto the ride??

TimBuk2
11-14-2001, 07:24 PM
Either side works for me. Just keep the dang thing open!! Quit closing it for months at a time !
:cool: