PDA

View Full Version : FastPass or New PassPort...

Pages : [1] 2

derraj25
08-08-2004, 07:02 AM
A friend of mine owns a travel company here (OR), and she only does Disney packages. I told her that DL was doing away with FP at many attractions throughout the park. She had heard this too which prompted her own "investigation". The scuttlebutt she got back is Disney is seriously considering doing what Universal currently does. Offer a "premium" passport for $10-15 more, and you go straight to the FP return line on the attraction it is offered.

Can anyone validate this? I LIKE IT!

JEFFJAGUAR
08-08-2004, 07:48 AM
The idea sucks...the more you do garbage like that the longer the queues become for people who can't afford to keep paying higher and higher prices.

This is the same thing as Marie Antoinette saying, "Let them eat cake."

SCUBAbe
08-08-2004, 08:13 AM
It doesn't matter to me. Of course I like the free ones, but I pay for the fast lane at MM and it works out well. I've considered getting the other pay extra one for universal. I just haven't had the chance to go this year yet. Anything is better than waiting in lines. Every other parks have the guests pay for a fastpass like system. It only makes sense that disney wold follow suit.

The best time I ever had at DL was when they had day passes and those ticket books still. Everyone wouldn't get the day pass and they didn't want to waste their tickets on some of the rides. It was way cool to just walk on some of the rides. Others still had long waits though. I remember always wanting to ride the horse trolley, but not wanting to use a ticket or pay the 15 cents (I was a kid...LOL)...it was way cool when we got the day pass and could just hop right on it...:)

missm
08-08-2004, 12:17 PM
I love the idea of pay more to go to the fastpass lines. $10 or $15 is way worth it to me.

~PrincessAriel~
08-08-2004, 12:28 PM
:mad: BAD IDEA! I can afford the extra bucks but it would suck for other people who can't afford it. I thought that inicially that was what Disney was gonna do when the FPs first came out. That would just be down right rude.

JEFFJAGUAR
08-08-2004, 12:47 PM
Don't these bloody parks charge enough now? I'm shocked DL has not picked up from Universal the idea of preferential parking you know charge an extra $5 to get a close in parking space (I'm sure it has been looked at but they haven't been able to come up with a way to implement it yet given the way the parking areas are set up).....

If they got rid of fast pass and all that, the queues would be much more manageable for everybody.

Lilo
08-08-2004, 01:03 PM
I will be very disappointed in Disney if they go through with this. I'll pay it, but like PrincessAriel said, not everyone can afford it. It's hard enough for some people to come up with $50 a ticket. I think FPs are fine the way they are. No more, no less, no cost.

Gandalf
08-08-2004, 02:02 PM
If Disney implements a version of $$ = fastpasses do you think they are going to be somewhat like MM's XTREME PLATINUM Season Pass. MM's premium passholder can upgrade their annual pass for an extra $50 & get four Fast Lane Passes (16 individual Fast Lane rides). I haven't any idea how that would mesh with the machines that are already in existence at DL & DCA ~ but it might work if they issue them when the annual pass is bought. Anyone here done their XTREME PLATINUM program? Hopefully when Disney has several more major (popular) rides up and in use the lines & congested paths will lessen.

SCUBAbe
08-08-2004, 02:13 PM
If Disney implements a version of $$ = fastpasses do you think they are going to be somewhat like MM's XTREME PLATINUM Season Pass. MM's premium passholder can upgrade their annual pass for an extra $50 & get four Fast Lane Passes (16 individual Fast Lane rides). I haven't any idea how that would mesh with the machines that are already in existence at DL & DCA ~ but it might work if they issue them when the annual pass is bought. Anyone here done their XTREME PLATINUM program? Hopefully when Disney has several more major (popular) rides up and in use the lines & congested paths will lessen.
No, but I buy the fast lanes when I go. I had no idea I could add it to my pass. Live and learn...LOL

Tutter
08-08-2004, 02:54 PM
I don't like the idea at all. I would feel really bad doing it. Obviously travelling from Scotland to LA twice a year as I do I can afford a few extra bucks, but I simply wouldn't do it on principle.

I only have myself and my partner to think of, but it's unfair on big families who can't afford as much. Why should they have to wait longer and have less of a good time simply because I have more money.

Fast Pass is fairer - I don't see the problem with it.

So in the end if Disney went through with something like this I would view it simply as them trying to squeeze more money out of me. Not good publicity.

CoasterChickie
08-08-2004, 03:25 PM
I don't like the idea of charging people more money so they can buy their way to the front of the line. The way it is now, everyone can use the fast pass system if they want.

It's a lot of work running around collecting fast passes and then backtracking to go on the rides 30-60 minutes later. I don't mind if someone who's done all that running around goes to the front of the line...I figure they've earned it. And the people who stayed put and didn't mind waiting in line will probably get to the front right about the same time.

If DL is going to charge extra for the fast pass system, then I 'd rather they just do away with it.

Lilo
08-08-2004, 05:25 PM
I agree.

sediment
08-09-2004, 07:39 AM
I wouldn't mind charging AP holders for the privilege of FastPass.

Surfingstitch
08-09-2004, 07:57 AM
It seems to be an interesting concept

cstephens
08-09-2004, 10:07 AM
I wouldn't mind charging AP holders for the privilege of FastPass.

Yes, but the trick would be to get AP holders to agree to pay YOU for the privilege of Fastpass...

MrTomMorrow
08-09-2004, 10:29 AM
Wasn't this the original goal of having FastPass in the first place? To eventually charge more for the use of it?

Also, with the removal of FastPass from various attractions now, would it still be worth it to charge more for the service? It would seem as if the value of the more expensive FastPass passport would decrease now that there are fewer FP attractions.

hbquikcomjamesl
08-09-2004, 04:50 PM
Wasn't this the original goal of having FastPass in the first place? To eventually charge more for the use of it?Not that I'm aware of. The idea was to give guests a chance to try less-popular attractions (thus evening out the queues and improving the guest experience, making for more repeat business and fewer ride operators standing around with a finger up some bodily orifice) and SHOP (generating revenue directly) and EAT (generating more revenue directly) while waiting for some E-ticket attraction.

To the idea of charging directly for something that already generates revenue, I can only say, to use the ultimate Disney theme park insult,
BAD SHOW!

Mickeyslittlehelper
08-09-2004, 04:59 PM
I liked it when we went and stayed on-site at Universal Orlando. We got front of the line, zero wait. I can't even imagine all of the people staying off site having to wait 120 min. I think DL could do something like this with thier hotels, but I dont like the idea. The idea of charging AP'ers / not allowing use of FP, isnt a bad idea (dont hate me, i am one) because FP should be for the people who are only spending a couple of days.

disneyhound
08-09-2004, 05:02 PM
The Fast Pass system should stand! Everyone having the same options. I think the AAA super Fast Pass is not right either! Everyone enters DLR the same, no second classer's... What's next, different color Mouse-ears, black for the commoners and gold out-lined for those "special" visiters? :cool:

SCUBAbe
08-09-2004, 05:28 PM
I liked it when we went and stayed on-site at Universal Orlando. We got front of the line, zero wait. I can't even imagine all of the people staying off site having to wait 120 min. I think DL could do something like this with thier hotels, but I dont like the idea. The idea of charging AP'ers / not allowing use of FP, isnt a bad idea (dont hate me, i am one) because FP should be for the people who are only spending a couple of days.
I feel it shoud be all or nothing. If they go the charging route then everyone should be allowed to buy it.

Lani
08-09-2004, 05:53 PM
Instituting a fee-based two-tiered system of the haves and have-nots will just take us one step away from Walt's dream, where everyone could enjoy the parks the same way. Of course I can't find any quote from him, but I do believe he felt strongly that it was important that everyone had the same access in the parks, without creating a caste system.

One consideration -- unless they start selling an upgrade for annual passholders, surely they don't expect them to shell out $10-$15 each time they come to the park.

A very sad thought: A family of four would have to pay an additional $40 to $60 a day just for the privilege of not having to stand in line for so long.

Walt would roll in his grave. :rolleyes::(:crying:

sdfilmcritic
08-10-2004, 12:55 AM
Well if this rumor is true what about the APs? Aren't we screwed over if this premium ticket is offered to non-AP guests?

sediment
08-10-2004, 08:12 AM
Well if this rumor is true what about the APs? Aren't we screwed over if this premium ticket is offered to non-AP guests?
I don't think anything on this thread is remotely true. Just lots of spectulations.

Lilo
08-10-2004, 08:39 AM
Walt would roll in his grave. :rolleyes::(:crying:

I'll bet Walt's been rolling in his grave since 1984... ;)

AlxVision360
08-10-2004, 08:56 AM
A very sad thought: A family of four would have to pay an additional $40 to $60 a day just for the privilege of not having to stand in line for so long.We are a family of 6 (2 adults, 2 over 10, 2 under 10), and the current admission prices are already a major blow to our vacation budget. They need to offer more discounts, not special premium privileges to those who can afford them. They don't need to create a class of "Disney Elite".