PDA

View Full Version : Please share your experiences about holidays at DL!

Pages : [1] 2

missm
08-07-2004, 07:57 PM
I have made plans to go to DLR December 2-8 this year. I'm 25 and am going with 3 friends, one who has never gone to DL. I've been many times during the spring and summer, but never the winter. My request is that you share and special things that go on during the holidays at DL. Any special experiences you've had would be great. What is the Holiday Fireworks show. Is it only on weekends? Are there any souveniers you can only get during the holidays. Different food? Also, what are some things the newbie in my group absolutely must experience? I'm afraid I will get into my "Disneyland routine" and make her miss some stuff. Thank you in advance for all of your help. The members on this board are the greatest!

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
08-08-2004, 06:52 AM
There are so many wonderful things about Disneyland at the Holidays.

THe park is decorated in full Christmas regalia, garland and balls and lights all around. The huge tree on Main Street is really amazing.

The Haunted Mansion has a holiday overlay, as does Small World. Small World at Christmas time is covered in lights and if you can get see it at dusk when it lights up it is truly amazing.

There are (or were all bets off this year as the prep for the 50th is in full swing) Christmas fireworks, ending with "snow" bubbles coming from the "sky" on mainstreet and other parts of the park. The Christmas parade is cute, getting a little stale, but if you haven't seen it before it is very cool.

A special Christmas tour is offered, it's been discussed in more detail in other threads, but it is pretty nice, you could take patient children on it and it end by SM where you get hot chocolate in a souvenier mug, a cookie and get to watch the parade from reserved seats.

There are a lot of special holiday items for sale only during the holiday time of the year and foods that are offered only during the holidays.

The hotels are decorated and Santa is at the Disneyland hotel and the Grand, oh and also Main Street and DCA.

It really is Disneyland at its most magical.

Christiii
08-08-2004, 07:20 AM
oh my gosn!! we jus love it!! one year, we event went FOR Christmas and brought a little tree to our room and the presents...It was just wonderful!! No dishesto wash, no hassel, and the best part was that there was no lull ...like usually we are wondering what to do Christmas afternoon, or the day after..ya know?? christmas sometimes has a lot of anticipation and excitment, and then not much to do after...except dishes..hehe...not at the Happiest Place on Earth!! Its really just my mom and I in our family, my brother is usually off doing his own thing. Christmas is VEERY crowded, but we dont mind at all. If yo go with the mindset that you are at the happiest time of year, and use the fastpasses you will do great.
We are lucky that we go more than once a year, so whe n itsa really crowded we just love to plop down somewhere with something fattening, and people watch!! Its just great to soak op all the holiday cheer and excitment, and just see the happy faces on the kids and all the people from everywhere choosing to spend their Holidays there! I know that would be hard to do with kids...but we just love it!!
The BEST part for us (if we had to pick one) are the Fireworks. Kind of took me off guard the first time..I knew about the snow, and expected it..but when they played White Christmas and were were standing on Main Street and the snow started..my mom and I started crying like babies...I was sooooo embarassed!! haha!! I just kept wiping my face and hoped no one saw me..it was just the most beautiful, emotional thing..to b seeing this and sharing it with all the love and same feelings of the crowd around us...it was juwt so moving!
OK, I know there are the people not happy, and kids there secreaming and crying and not appreciating where they are...but we just kind of feel sorry for them and wish they could embrace the spirit in which this holiday is meant. They are missing so much by whinning and complaining!!
I get kind of sick of people complaining about how crowded it is...its like..what the heck did you expect?? its like anything..rain, heat..whatever...just learn to adapt to it...and enjoy it for what it is!!
:fez:

SCUBAbe
08-08-2004, 08:29 AM
I'm don't celebrate holidays, but the park looks very nice that tme of year. I would like to see other holidays besides christmas being used for decorations though. The christams parade was cool to watch. I haven't seen it in about 6 years now, but one float had gingerbread scent coming from it. I love the firework show....they use mostly traditional christmas songs so it is aimed at mostly one religion. I used to love the real snow. The sticky bubbles is just lame. The best part for me and the reason we go there every december is the weather is cool and the crowds are low. Everyoine seems to be in a good mood that time of year also. Less yelling and pushing going on. I think the heat really gets to people. Tempers are much shorter during the summer. it just a really realxing time to go. Oh unless it's anytime around dec 25...then thats a whole other story...LOL

missm
08-08-2004, 11:44 AM
Thanks so much for the info. I can't wait. I'm definetly doing the Christmas tour so we get good seats for the parade. I live in Western Washington so the best part for me will be leaving the cold, cold rain behind. What about things that my friend who has never been to DL can't miss? I know we'll go on all the rides. We're there for 7 days. What's there to do at the DLH or other hotels?

missm
08-08-2004, 12:22 PM
I just looked for the old thread describing the Christmas Tour. I remember reading about it but would like to read it again. Can anyone help me find it? Thanks.

SCUBAbe
08-08-2004, 02:42 PM
Thanks so much for the info. I can't wait. I'm definetly doing the Christmas tour so we get good seats for the parade. I live in Western Washington so the best part for me will be leaving the cold, cold rain behind. What about things that my friend who has never been to DL can't miss? I know we'll go on all the rides. We're there for 7 days. What's there to do at the DLH or other hotels?
all the hotels are decorated for the holidays also. One time I was there they has carolers at the DL hotel and the characters came out. It is realy pretty during the holidays. I would hit HM holiday, and it's a small worls holiday. They also have santa out if you have young kids. The huge christmas tree is a great photo op....I love looking at the outside of IASW at night. There;s a couple of pictures here....if you scroll down. http://pixiepics.net/archives/cat_disneylanddca.html
One day I'll get them all organized..:)

Niwel
08-08-2004, 03:24 PM
I just looked for the old thread describing the Christmas Tour. I remember reading about it but would like to read it again. Can anyone help me find it? Thanks.

Not sure where the thread is, but here is a review of the tour :) Holiday Time (http://www.mouseplanet.com/more/mm031211sl.htm)

mjformenotyou
08-09-2004, 09:56 AM
They also have santa out if you have young kids.

Yep, my sisters and I had our picture taken with Santa at DCA in the Grizzly River Rapids area of all places. He was dressed sort of like a lumberjack.

Lindsay

missm
08-09-2004, 12:44 PM
Scubabe, your pictures got me so excited for the trip, and it's still so many months away! IASW is gorgeous! Thank you to everyone who has given me info through this thread. You have helped me tremedously!

Missing Marbles
08-09-2004, 01:51 PM
Missm,

You may be going during the time of the Candlelight Procession. It is one of the most wonderful traditional Chrismas Story presentations I have ever seen. http://www.mouseplanet.com/more/mm021211.htm . If you are there during that weekend, do not miss it! Maria Osmond will be the narrator this year.

Susan L
08-09-2004, 02:46 PM
I've been going to Disneyland for a total of 46 years, which is my entire life and I had never went during the holidays until 2001. Wow, it was so beautiful, all the lights and decorations. My daughter and I were on the Storybookland boats around 9pm ish.

So we are sitting there waiting for the boats to go and the CM told us we would have to wait because the fireworks show was about to begin. He also told us that there would be snow after the FW show, my daughter immediately said we came down here to get away from the snow. We live in the Sierra's. So the snow wasn't to exciting for us but, if you don't live with shoveling snow all winter I guess it would be pretty cool to see.

We had the best seat for the fireworks, we didn't have to fight with any crowds and the fire works were right there and they were really so loud. It was great. If you can time it right see the fireworks from the Storybookland boats.

missm
08-09-2004, 02:54 PM
Wow, you were actually on the boat while the fireworks were going!? Were you in the actual ride already or at the beginning? I may have to try that.

So about the candlelight processional do you recommend getting the meal package or just doing standby?

stitchlvr
08-09-2004, 05:58 PM
One thing we like to do at Holiday time at DL is cookie decorating. It was in New Orleans Square at one time, but has been at the Fire Station in Main Street for the last couple of years. You get a big sugar cookie (They have a few shapes to pick from), a couple colors of frosting and some candy decorations. It may not be your thing, but I think it's fun!

CarlieB
08-09-2004, 06:05 PM
That sounds like fun! Can anyone do it or is it just for kids?

Susan L
08-09-2004, 06:07 PM
[QUOTE=missm]Wow, you were actually on the boat while the fireworks were going!? Were you in the actual ride already or at the beginning? I may have to try that.

We had just been loaded into the boats and were waiting to take off.

stitchlvr
08-09-2004, 06:25 PM
That sounds like fun! Can anyone do it or is it just for kids?
I'm guessing you are refering to my post about cookie decorating. If not, sorry. If so, anyone can do it, you just have to pay. I think it was $3 last year, which pays for the cookie (it's pretty big), frosting and decorations.The cookies are delicious IMO.

CarlieB
08-09-2004, 07:01 PM
I'm guessing you are refering to my post about cookie decorating. If not, sorry. If so, anyone can do it, you just have to pay. I think it was $3 last year, which pays for the cookie (it's pretty big), frosting and decorations.The cookies are delicious IMO.
Thanks for the details. I'll definitely keep an eye out for this when we're there:)

ctindall
08-09-2004, 07:12 PM
Does anyone know when DL will be decorated for the holidays this year? We've always wanted to see DL decorated for the holiday and since our kids have some time off we're planning to go the first week of November and want to be sure we're not too early and maybe miss the decorations and festivities. Thanks!

Pirate Girl
08-09-2004, 11:09 PM
It all rocks. Definatly hit anything with a holiday layover (these are usually marked on the map). Small World Holiday is great, as are the Fireworks (unless they change them this year). Hot chocolate is good to have during the fireworks! Many people would recommend the Haunted Mansion, but if it's one of your favorite skip it. They ruin it.

rentayenta
08-10-2004, 06:13 AM
The holidays are truly magical at DL. We will be there this year as well. It is crowded but as long as plan a little by making reservations etc..it's no biggie.

I grew up with DL and have so many great memories of my dad and I during the holidays.

I will be there this year with my DH and children over Christmas (and hopefully my dad) enjoying the carolers, bubble snow, hot cocoa, frosting cookies, the parade and all the magic of DL during the holidays.

Enjoy your trip.

BayAreaDisneyFan
08-10-2004, 08:17 AM
We went in early December of 2002 and it was terrific. Highlights:

Not at all crowded - could go on all rides with minimal lines, and could take
time to enjoy all the little "nooks and crannies" around the park.

Haunted Mansion Overlay- Instantly became my daughter's favorite ride (when she had previously been too scared), and began her obsession with Nightmare before Christmas.

Decorations - Everything looks great, very cheery. Especially liked the walk to and from DLH through DTD - the trees all had these huge lighted balls hanging and lots of lights on the trunks - very magical. Also at the time there was a huge inflated Stitch with a Santa hat (my youngest's favorite character at the time...we had seen the inflated Stitch in the summer, and she kept asking if it would still be there at Christmas - big smiles when we saw it with the Santa hat!)

Cookies - when we went they were doing the cookie decorating in the driveway of the Fire Station - no wait to sit at a table and decorate, the kids could take their time and have fun with it...nice relaxing arts & crafts type activity to balance the sensory overload of a typical day at the park.

Strolling Carolers in Victorian costume - visited our table at Hook's Pointe and spent a long time taking requests and encouraging us to sing along.

We hope to do it again this year!

Pammer
08-10-2004, 12:09 PM
I have made plans to go to DLR December 2-8 this year. I'm 25 and am going with 3 friends, one who has never gone to DL.

My hubby and I will be there December 4-8 to celebrate my and Walt's birthday (both on December 5!). We're going with a couple who we went to college with (many moons ago). I love the way everything is decorated for the holidays ~ it's my favorite time to go! :)

Hope you all have a fantastic time!

missm
08-10-2004, 12:46 PM
Thanks everyone so much for all of the helpful info you've given me. I've been writing it all down and keeping it in my DL file. I am for sure doing the Christmas Tour, I can't wait for cookie decorating HMH, IASW Holiday, eating every Christmas goody I can get my hands on, the carolers, and the "snow." I'm going to try and get to the Candlelight Processional but don't think I'll do the dinner. Besides I don't know if the guys will go for it anyway. That's what I have entered into my file. If I missed anything let me know. Once again thanks to you all! Maybe I'll see some of you there.

-melissa-

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
08-10-2004, 02:37 PM
My hubby and I will be there December 4-8 to celebrate my and Walt's birthday (both on December 5!). We're going with a couple who we went to college with (many moons ago). I love the way everything is decorated for the holidays ~ it's my favorite time to go! :)

Hope you all have a fantastic time!

Wow Pammer, I have never encountered anyone before who was also a December 5th birthday that celebrated it along with Walt's. WE will be there the 5-8th for the annual birthday excursion. Enjoying all the beauty that is Disneyland at the holidays.