PDA

View Full Version : Security cuts staff in the Esplande

Grandbreaker
08-07-2004, 06:26 PM
Thats right someone was thinking that it would be a good idea to take away some of the security standby's. There still will be the main gate security just not the ones by the bag check. :mad:

The Mouse Is Back
08-07-2004, 06:33 PM
Oh, that's just brilliant - take away the security from the area where EVERYONE HAS THEIR BAGS AND BACKPACKS OPEN. A pickpocket paradise!

Gads, which one of the brainiacs in management made this particular decision?

-Allegra-

skoolpsyk
08-07-2004, 09:41 PM
they should take away the whole bag check in the first place...

Darkbeer
08-07-2004, 09:44 PM
Note: There is no place at the DLR called the Esplanade....

Since the Fall of 2001 it has been called the "Main Entry Plaza".........

SCUBAbe
08-07-2004, 10:12 PM
they should take away the whole bag check in the first place...
I agree. Anyone who wants to sneak something in can. They barely glance in the bag most times. One time I was behind another AP'er and she had this HUGE baf loaded down with blankets. She told the bag checker she planned to camp out for fantasmic and also had snacks and soda in the bag. He did not make her unpack it.....there could have been anything in it. I mean if I was planning on doing something shady I wouldn't say yes I have all kinds of weapons in my bag...I would say just what that lady said. (I only knew she was an AP'er because she had her pass out and proudly told the bag checker...)

Merm8fan
08-07-2004, 10:45 PM
Ditto on nixing the bag check. It won't happen though, as I think it is there to appease those guests who do feel more secure because it is done.

AaronInCal
08-08-2004, 02:46 AM
Actually, Disneyland still calls the Main Entry Plaza the "Esplanade" internally, at least. Maybe not everywhere, but it is still being used. They just don't call it that publicly since I guess people didn't know what the Esplanade was when the DCA and Disneyland became the Disneyland Resort.. So CMs may very well just be used to calling it the Esplanade since that is what it's called behind the berm, so to speak. :)

That seems to be a bad idea to take away security at the bag checks. They should be there just in case they happen to find something in someone's bag! You never know these days....

cstephens
08-08-2004, 02:07 PM
Note: There is no place at the DLR called the Esplanade....

Since the Fall of 2001 it has been called the "Main Entry Plaza".........

I still call it the esplanade. Lots of people I know still call it the esplanade, and we all know what is meant by it.

BriarRose
08-08-2004, 02:14 PM
What they need to do is get security to actually LOOK INTO THE BAGS once in awhile.

LAsptsfan3
08-08-2004, 07:36 PM
Ive said it before, and ill say it again: Metal Detectors. Im sad to say this but i think it might take something awful before people realize that security needs to be MUCH tighter than it currently is. I would much rather have the peace of mind knowing that everyone inside the parks is clean and not going to harm this symbol of American capitalism.

I love disney so much that i just want to take all the steps necessary to protect this landmark.

CM MATT: METAL DETECTORS!!!!!!!

BriarRose
08-08-2004, 08:37 PM
Ive said it before, and ill say it again: Metal Detectors. Im sad to say this but i think it might take something awful before people realize that security needs to be MUCH tighter than it currently is. I would much rather have the peace of mind knowing that everyone inside the parks is clean and not going to harm this symbol of American capitalism.

I love disney so much that i just want to take all the steps necessary to protect this landmark.

CM MATT: METAL DETECTORS!!!!!!!

That's a great idea!! Much safer than the bag "checks". :rolleyes: They could at least act like they look in your bags.

GrumpyUTboi
08-08-2004, 08:59 PM
last year when we went to DL they actually were looking in the bags and taking stuff out of the diaper bag that we had with us. It was a normal looking diaper bag, you know the free one you get for having a bundle of joy.

Anyway, the 5 days that we were there we were checked. Maybe we got the security personel that were ambitious.

What does eslpande mean?

CoasterChickie
08-08-2004, 09:06 PM
[QUOTE=

Anyway, the 5 days that we were there we were checked. Maybe we got the security personel that were ambitious.

[/QUOTE]

Nah! I think it's because they were suspicious of someone who enjoys HISTA so much !! ;) :~D

P.S. They check my bag every time and I'm pretty harmless looking.

SCUBAbe
08-08-2004, 09:13 PM
on the last day we were there they checked my backpack really well. I guess I looked suspicious that day. I always offer to open up all the zippers on my bags. 9 times out of 10 they tell ne not to and let me throw after a quick glance in the main zippered area.

AVP
08-08-2004, 09:19 PM
I recently watched someone pass through the security checkpoint without the CMs stopping them or asking them to remove their jacket. (When it's afternoon on a Thursday in summer, and someone's wearing a leather jacket, it's a good idea to check their waistband.) I was in the next line at the entrance turnstile when this person tried to enter the park. The cast member at the gate WAS paying attention, and refused admission to this person until he put the knife he was carrying in a locker in the picnic area.

I don't even want to think of the things that could be smuggled into the park in the type of camera bag I normally carry.

AVP

CoasterChickie
08-08-2004, 09:23 PM
AVP- Did you see the movie "Bowling for Columbine?"
I was shocked at how many weapons could be hidden in a pair
of baggy cargo pants and a loose fitting shirt. (They had a kid
do a demonstration and I think he had 22 weapons total !)

LAsptsfan3
08-08-2004, 09:29 PM
lol you guys are just proving my point about metal detectors...

they have them at staples center...they work wonderfully! Its not about cost-cutting, its not about preserving the atmosphere of the parks...its about keeping the guests of the resorts safe.

AVP
08-08-2004, 09:49 PM
AVP- Did you see the movie "Bowling for Columbine?"
I was shocked at how many weapons could be hidden in a pair
of baggy cargo pants and a loose fitting shirt.No, but I coordinated closely with the security team of the department store I worked at. When you've watched video of a woman carrying a TELEVISION set out of a store UNDER HER DRESS, you suddenly become more aware of where people can conceal things. I've seen so-called "booster tummies" that people wear to look pregnant (lots of storage space in one of those), and all manner of things concealed in novel places. One of the first things they tell you is to pay particular attention to people who are wearing outer clothing inconsistant with the weather.

AVP

SCUBAbe
08-08-2004, 10:21 PM
lol you guys are just proving my point about metal detectors...

they have them at staples center...they work wonderfully! Its not about cost-cutting, its not about preserving the atmosphere of the parks...its about keeping the guests of the resorts safe.
They use metal detectors at MM. If someone sets off the hand wand them. It seems to work ok...I guess...I haven't heard of any recent stabbings there lately..

Cloud Buster
08-09-2004, 12:59 AM
Everyone in this thread should be happy to know that in the last week and a half or so, ever since the new "terror alerts" security at DLR has been extremely tight. Ball gate has been reduced to one lane for incoming AND outgoing traffic, new vehicle inspection points have been added at GCH, DTD, and Paradise Pier hotel parking, not to mention I get stopped for inspections (in company vehicles) all the time now - and they really are inspecting, not just looking at my ID and waving me by.

GrumpyUTboi
08-09-2004, 05:41 AM
Thanks Coaster! It may also be a fact that I kind of look like Grumpy and Dopey.

Darkbeer
08-09-2004, 07:56 AM
I don't even want to think of the things that could be smuggled into the park in the type of camera bag I normally carry.

AVP
I have to laugh, when I went to the Orange County Fair, security asked "Is that a Camera Bag"... I said yes, no need to check the bag, or get the "security tag"........:rolleyes:

As for the word Esplanade...

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=esplanade

>>A flat open stretch of pavement or grass, especially one designed as a promenade along a shore.

1. (Fort.) (a) A clear space between a citadel and the nearest houses of the town. --Campbell (Mil. Dict. ). (b) The glacis of the counterscarp, or the slope of the parapet of the covered way toward the country.

2. (Hort.) A grass plat; a lawn. --Simmonds.

3. Any clear, level space used for public walks or drives; esp., a terrace by the seaside.

n : a long stretch of open level ground (paved or grassy) for walking beside the seashore<<

After looking at those definitions, never knew that Anaheim was Beach Front Property.......:fez: Or that the bricks you bought were grass, not concrete....;)

Squishy
08-09-2004, 01:26 PM
Just a quick note for all of you folks who seem to be a little confused about things. Security does not do the bag checks at the Main Entrance and have not done them for months. They are performed by Main Entry Cast Members. I would think that would be just a bit obvious from the costume differences, but maybe it is just me. Security is still in the Main Entry Plaza in force but they do not perform bag checks.

Darkbeer
08-09-2004, 01:44 PM
^ But there USED to be a security officer posted next to each of the open Bag Check stations.... But THAT position has been cut, yes, the lesser paid CM's still do the bag checks, but if there is a problem, there is no longer a Security officer to back them up.....

Squishy
08-13-2004, 05:05 PM
You are right, there is not an officer standing at each bag check station.

HOWEVER, there are still numerous Security officers posted in the Main Entry Plaza. Also, each bag check station has cast members with radios for emergency notification.