PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving at Disneyland?

toyshop
08-07-2004, 11:14 AM
:)
Hi there,
First time posting! My husband and I are planning a trip to Disneyland this Thanksgiving, Tuesday- Saturday,we have never been there at this time before only during the summer and I have a few questions:

1. Compared to 4th of July crowds, how are the crowds during Thanksgiving?

2. Any special dinner menus for Thanksgiving?

3. Is the Haunted Mansion still decorated for Jack's Halloween?

4. When do the Christmas decorations go up?

5. Any special holiday parades or light shows?

Thanks so much!
Liz

Susan L
08-07-2004, 11:19 AM
I can answer a couple of your questions. The Jack S. theme is up at the Haunted Mansion until after the new year. Holiday decorations will be up. And yes there are holiday parades going on. Either check mouseplanet or the official Disneyland websites for show and parade times.

Suburban Plankton
08-07-2004, 11:59 AM
We were there last year from the Saturday before Thanksgiving until the Saturday after. Crowds were not bad at all up to and including Wednesday. In fact, Mon-Wed crowds were among the lightest I've seen. Thursday and Friday were another story. I have heard that Thanksgiving Day is the busiest day of the year, and my experience can't contradict that. Friday was a bit better, but still a "summer-like" crowd.

We actually wound up spending most of Thanksgiving Day at DCA, which was still more cworded than normal, but still passable.

To answer your specific questions:

1. Compared to 4th of July crowds, how are the crowds during Thanksgiving?

I can't say, because we never go during the sumnmer. But as I mentioned above, it will be crowded on Thanksgiving Day. The rest of the time should be ok to great, crowd wise.

2. Any special dinner menus for Thanksgiving?

Not at the parks themselves. We ate at the DL Hotel, which had a huge buffet. It was a good meal; I think it was about $50/person. Most of the restaurants in Downtown Disney had special meals as well.

3. Is the Haunted Mansion still decorated for Jack's Halloween?

Yes. Those are actually the Christmas decorations; they stay up until some time in January.

4. When do the Christmas decorations go up?

Some time at the beginning of November, I believe. The park is definitely in full holiday mode by the time you are asking about.

5. Any special holiday parades or light shows?

Last year they had the "Santa parade" and the holiday fireworks show (complete with snow). I don't know about the schedule his year, but I'm sure somebody here has it, or will soon.

FYI, we will be going back again this year, arriving Sunday and leaving Saturday. It's a fun time to visit the park, and except fot Thanksgiving Day itself, the crowds are no problem. It's certainly no worse than a height-of-summer trip. Actually much better, because the crowds will be lighter most days, and the weather will certainly be much more agreeable. Have fun!

toyshop
08-07-2004, 03:12 PM
Thanks so much for all the helpful information. As I stated earlier we have never been at DL during the holidays and can't wait! We have gone for the past 12 years during the summer, but this year couldn't get away, so we will create some new holiday memories.
Liz :)

disneyperson
08-07-2004, 03:36 PM
Thursday and Friday will no doubt be very crowded. The only time I ever hated a day in disneyland was when I went with family on the day after Thanksgiving. That was before fastpass however, and it may not be as bad now. Good luck, say Hi to Jack Skellington

SCUBAbe
08-07-2004, 03:40 PM
Thursday and Friday will no doubt be very crowded. The only time I ever hated a day in disneyland was when I went with family on the day after Thanksgiving. That was before fastpass however, and it may not be as bad now. Good luck, say Hi to Jack Skellington
The one day we truely hated at the park was december 27. We will never go back around a holiday again.

rentayenta
08-07-2004, 05:01 PM
Tuesday and Wednesday should be somewhat mellow. Thursday, Friday and Saturday will be a zoo. I would do Disneyland Tues & Wed and either Fri. or Sat.

Let me find the post where I was given last year's menus for Thanksgiving. I think The Napa Rose looked the best.

Go to DCA on Fri. or Sat. I don't remember if there is enough to do at DCA for two days.

I think as long as you prepare you'll be fine. We are going this year from Dec. 23-28. I know it will be a zoo but fortunately I like animals ;)

It is such a magical time to go to the DLR!

disneyhound
08-07-2004, 05:12 PM
My daughter and I spent 5 days over Presidents Day this past February, and it was a lot more crowded than other similar long weekends during the January-February months. I can't imagine things would not be maxed!

toyshop
08-07-2004, 07:39 PM
As much as we would love to be there on Tuesday, I have to teach school, so as a teacher I am forced to have vacation time the same as everyone else, but we have been there during 4th of July when they have had to close the park, that was crazy. :D
We will probably do what we always do, get there at 8:00 am and get fast passes and by 12:00 we have been on at least 4 rides. Since it is the 2 of us we go catch a movie and eat lunch and enter the park around 5:00 and stay until they close. Does anyone know the hours that DL is open that week? I checked with disney, but they don't have the schedule out yet.
Thanks,
Liz
:)