PDA

View Full Version : 8/6: Pooh Fastpass gone, Splash Fastpass returns to previous location

mousetrap adam
08-06-2004, 02:20 PM
If you've got a few old orange "Winnie the Pooh" Fastpass tickets lying around, save 'em somewhere special -- because they're officially a thing of the past. As of this morning, Fastpass is no longer available for Pooh, and the ride's distribution machines have been taken over by Splash Mountain.

Little evidence that Pooh was ever a Fastpass attraction even remains; the distribution area signs were swapped for permanent Splash ones last night, and a simple sign covering the clock at Pooh's Fastpass return entrance announces that the service is not available.

The demise of Fastpass at Pooh confirms rumors that were spurred by the removal of Fastpass at several other resort attractions last month, including Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion. Attendance has never soared at the Critter Country attraction, with lines rarely exceeding 10 minutes.

When Pooh opened in April 2003, it took over the distribution location that Splash had used for several years. A new distribution area was built for Splash by the Haunted Mansion exit, in a place previously utilized on busy days as an extended queue. The long lines to get a Splash FP, combined with the steady flow of guests exiting the Mansion, created a narrow, crowded "pinch point" that resulted in frequent confusion and frustration for guests.

Complicating the matter was that, in the midst of the move, Splash's FP return entrace stayed exactly where it was -- completely around the mountain from the distribution area. Guests frequently spent an hour or more in the slow-moving standby line only to be told that they waited patiently, valid Fastpasses in hand, in the wrong line.

Also, many visitors simply missed Splash's new distribution location and mistook Pooh's FP machines for the Splash ones. Not much fun for guests who made the mistake, and even less fun for the CM who had to break the news that they couldn't ride, since even on slow days, Splash's Fastpass distribution books out long before park closing. The closure of Pooh's FP service and Splash's return to the previous distribution location, with much closer proximity to the FP return entrance, should remedy these problems for good.

The Splash FP machines by the Mansion exit still remain, but they have been covered and closed off to guests. The "distribution" side of the marquis has been covered in an attractive burlap wrap.

-Mo

Mukta
08-06-2004, 02:41 PM
I have only ridden Pooh a few times, but I have never waited more than 7 minutes. I guess the powers that be thought the ride would attract a bigger crowd and require fastpass. Glad to see they are utilizing the fastpass area for Splash Mountain again.

JEFFJAGUAR
08-06-2004, 03:02 PM
Now if only they would do the right thing.....

Get rid of this Pooh garbage and restore Country Bear Jamboree; but then again suits never admit they made a big mistake, do they?

sediment
08-06-2004, 03:19 PM
Now if only they would do the right thing.....

Get rid of this Pooh garbage and restore Country Bear Jamboree; but then again suits never admit they made a big mistake, do they?
Those suits aren't there anymore.

The Lovely Mrs. tod
08-06-2004, 11:11 PM
Well, Pooh is just plain weird and I've never had any idea as to why they thought it even needed a fast pass in the first place. I can just imagine some poor traveler clutching his fast pass for what he thought was Splash Mountain only to find he's gained front of the line privileges to watch what happens with Pooh gets the bad acid.

iAmJacksDLand
08-06-2004, 11:36 PM
Another good move in the right direction...

I'm astonished.

blusilva
08-07-2004, 01:08 AM
I can just imagine some poor traveler clutching his fast pass for what he thought was Splash Mountain only to find he's gained front of the line privileges to watch what happens with Pooh gets the bad acid.

BWAHAHAHA!

That said, I like the ride, although I'll never quite know why. Probably because the characters give me childhood warm fuzzies. And I've never had to wait in a Standby Line more than 10 minutes for it.

Pooh's Bad Acid Trip Room gives me the willies, though. :0

millionairegirl
08-07-2004, 10:22 AM
I took some friends on Pooh the other day, and they loved it! They thought it was darling, and I must say I agree. Sure, it wasn't worth $40 million+ (or whatever the ridiculous figure was), but it's a fun little ride.

It definitely doesn't need FP though!

RickW
08-07-2004, 10:39 AM
Also, many visitors simply missed Splash's new distribution location and mistook Pooh's FP machines for the Splash ones. Not much fun for guests who made the mistake, and even less fun for the CM who had to break the news that they couldn't ride, since even on slow days, Splash's Fastpass distribution books out long before park closing. -Mo

We did that once. We weren't paying attention and thought we were getting Splash fastpasses. Waited patiently for our "Splash" fastpasses to mature, only to be told by the CM that they were Pooh fastpasses. Embarassing, to say the least!

Hakuna Makarla
08-07-2004, 11:54 AM
yeah!! I can now get a fast pass to splash!

CoasterChickie
08-07-2004, 02:49 PM
Well, Pooh is just plain weird and I've never had any idea as to why they thought it even needed a fast pass in the first place. I can just imagine some poor traveler clutching his fast pass for what he thought was Splash Mountain only to find he's gained front of the line privileges to watch what happens with Pooh gets the bad acid.

I'm so glad to hear that someone else had the same thoughts as me. I love Winnie the Pooh and all his friends, but that ride just seemed like a way to show kids why they shouldn't do drugs...it was way too bright and noisy and not at all like a blustery day IMO.

There was no line when we were there so I don't think it needed a fast pass. But Splash Mountain on the other hand...YAY!

Lilo
08-08-2004, 01:17 PM
A year ago, I waited over two hours in line for the ride, but that was when it was only a few months old. Now that it's older, though, the lines are MUCH shorter and I haven't since waited more than 15-20 minutes for it (nor will I). It definitely no longer needs a FP so I'm really happy to hear they took it out.

SweetAurora
08-09-2004, 03:43 PM
Well guess what? Pooh's line was 40 minutes at one point today, so that goes to show you it CAN be more than 15-20 minutes long. Of course, it probably has to do with Fastpass being phased out, etc.

Sorry, I'm just kind of worn out of people picking on the ride day in and day out. Granted, I know how the ride is, but it's a KIDS ride, much like the ones in Fantasyland. It's designed for kids and their families--it's not scary like some of the ones in Fantasyland, which is good for a lot of folks who have little ones easily frightened. If people had grown up with this ride like the rides in Fantasyland, I think it would have gotten a different response.

sediment
08-09-2004, 04:17 PM
Well guess what? Pooh's line was 40 minutes at one point today, so that goes to show you it CAN be more than 15-20 minutes long. Of course, it probably has to do with Fastpass being phased out, etc.

Could have been down at that time. A line can get pretty long when it isn't running.

Sorry, I'm just kind of worn out of people picking on the ride day in and day out. Granted, I know how the ride is, but it's a KIDS ride, much like the ones in Fantasyland. It's designed for kids and their families--it's not scary like some of the ones in Fantasyland, which is good for a lot of folks who have little ones easily frightened. If people had grown up with this ride like the rides in Fantasyland, I think it would have gotten a different response.

It could have been better, but someone cheaped out on the ride and poured the money into the exit shop.
After Subs, I'm hoing that CM Matt upgrades Pooh to a Disneyland-worthy level.

SweetAurora
08-09-2004, 11:11 PM
Hi Sediment. Actually, Pooh was not down at all this morning. This was the actual line.
Maybe it's just a clash of the times, but look at Pooh compared to other Fantasyland rides. Those are cheap as well, but many of us hold nostalgic respect for them because we grew up on them.
I agree Pooh isn't as creative or high-quality as some rides, but it's FOR KIDS. The special effects are cute, the colors are beautiful, the queue is quaint and creative, etc. Granted folks, I'm not trying to say this ride is an E-ticket attraction. There are many changes I would have made to the ride, as I would do with others at Disneyland Park.

It should have been put in Fantasyland, where this type of ride belongs. There, it probably would have received more welcoming.

Pirate Girl
08-09-2004, 11:15 PM
IfAs of this morning, Fastpass is no longer available for Pooh, and the ride's distribution machines have been taken over by Splash Mountain.

It seems that they finally realized that Pooh Sucks.

sediment
08-10-2004, 08:10 AM
I agree Pooh isn't as creative or high-quality as some rides, ....
There are better Pooh rides in existence today. That's what I'm talkin' about.

Lilo
08-10-2004, 08:10 AM
I don't think it's as horrible as most people think. I mean, it still has more potential, but it's not that bad. For being built on a cheap-o budget, it's bloody good IMO. :fez:

JEFFJAGUAR
08-10-2004, 11:44 AM
But the question is was it worth sacrificing one of the classic attractions, Country Bear Jamboree? The answer to me is a resounding NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Perhaps it should have been placed in Fantasyland and Country Bear left alone.

Disney Vault
08-10-2004, 01:58 PM
I would take pooh over those old bears anyday.

scaeagles
08-10-2004, 02:53 PM
The problem isn't that country bears were replaced. I can remember going with my 3 year old daughter (who is now 10) in the middle of summer when it was 100 or so degrees outside. Country bears was possibly the coolest temperature in Disneyland, and my 3 year old loved the show, so we'd see it 2 or 3 times a day over 4 days. It was never even close to 1/3 full. It had lost its appeal, and it was necessary to replace it.

The problem was that it was replced with something....not overwhelming. It's a find fantasy land dark ride. Nothing special. The issue was replacing it without enough money to do it right, not replacing it.

sediment
08-10-2004, 03:07 PM
Country Bears could have been upgraded with a new show every few years or so. New bear animatronic cores could have been made.
All this costs money, and where's the benefit to old DLr management, who were trying to put their personal stamp (to get credit for success, leading to bigger bonuses and promotions) on DLr?

Also, there is no cache in, "Better Bears!"
More cache in "Pooh -- And a Great Gift Shop, Too!"