PDA

View Full Version : How "Dumb" does Disney think we really are?

MammaSilva
11-13-2001, 12:55 PM
I called Disney Travel today to get some quotes for next springs vacation.....while talking to the Reservation person I asked about "Magic Mornings" (early in) and what the status would be next year....this is the information she said they got just as of this morning.

As of Jan 6, 2002, Magic Morning early entry program will be discontinued, as of Jan 7th Disneyland will open ONE hour prior to "published" hours (ie..park hours say 9am to midnight it will actually open at 8am) but it will be a "full" opening not just the limited opening that Magic Mornings had....(yeah uh huh.....) and this opening is for all guests of the park not just guests at the resort hotels....

Does Disney REALLY think that we aren't going to figure out that this is No perk at all? If they want to open the park at 8am they'll publish it at 9, if they want to open at 9 they'll publish 10am opening....no gain to the guests since I don't see them opening the park at 7am next summer......but then again it would be a "nice" surprise if it happens.

coronamouseman
11-13-2001, 01:03 PM
It sounds like the dumb party is on the other end - obviously, they don't have any idea what they are going to do .........

But park openings for Disney has always been a "fluid" situation. At WDW, parks often open to the public 30-45 minutes before published opening times (we were there one year and showed up at 8:15 for the "Magic Morning" scheduled between 8 and 9 at MK and were caught in a mass stampede as all guests were admitted 45 minutes early of the announced 9 opening).

Universal has already set the standard for hotel perks - "no-wait" access to IOA and USF for their hotel guests - only a matter of time before Disney implements something based upon Fastpass as a perk for their guests.

tjrj
11-13-2001, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the update mammasilva. Goodness, yet another reason to stay off-site, IMO.

Gemini Cricket
11-13-2001, 02:47 PM
I don't think Disney thinks were dumb, I think they just hope we don't figure things out.

They feel that the "Disney Magic" is enough excuse for a good time that people will just forget about them treating people as badly as they do.

Like the "Aloha Spirit" in Hawaii. Same thing. It doesn't really exist, but they base a lot of things good and bad upon it and use it as an excuse for high costs, bad quality and cut backs.

Ace
11-13-2001, 04:41 PM
Does this mean that Disneyland resort stayer-ers DO get in early still? I'm going the 9th and 10th and this makes a big difference....someone please PM me with the answer, or reply here!

MammaSilva
11-13-2001, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Squinky
Does this mean that Disneyland resort stayer-ers DO get in early still? I'm going the 9th and 10th and this makes a big difference....someone please PM me with the answer, or reply here!

The res agent said that as of Jan 6th Magic Morning/Early Entry was being discontinued.. if you are going before the 6th of Jan then I would call and see if the MM is offered the days you are planning to be there, as of the 7th of Jan no special perks for the Resort guests...when the gates open they open to all with tickets/passes regardless of where they are staying....the only thing the park is doing is misrepresenting when they are actually opening by saying that they will open one hour earlier than the "published" opening time...

zapppop
11-13-2001, 08:37 PM
They DO think were dumb.

I think it's just flat out insulting the way the Disney company lies to its customers.

Hades
11-13-2001, 11:07 PM
Like the "Aloha Spirit" in Hawaii. Same thing. It doesn't really exist, but they base a lot of things good and bad upon it and use it as an excuse for high costs, bad quality and cut backs. Obviously you are not Hawaiian! I beg to differ with your opinion, but "Aloha Spirit" does exist. You probably had too much of the "canned" kind from Waikiki.:D Next time you might want to get to know some real Hawaiians. Only then will you understand what "Aloha Spirit" is all about.;)

"Aloha Spirit" is exactly what most haole's (non Hawaiians) would call courtesy and good manners. It's giving your seat to an aunty or uncle (aunty and uncle are terms of respect to elders by Hawaiians, regardless of family ties), helping your neighbor without expectations of repayment, or any other act of kindness because you can and want to. It does happen a lot. :)

I am amazed that you would consider "Aloha Spirit" as the basis of the negative things you might have experienced because of a bad vacation to the Islands.:( If not, and I have misunderstood your opinion, I wish you would be more clear. The statement you made as it stands would offend a lot of Hawaiians (myself included), but I will show a little "Aloha Spirit" and give you the benefit of the doubt.

As far as your view on "Disney Magic" being an excuse for "them" treating people badly, again, please be more clear. I myself am a Cast Member. I would like to believe that you are wagging your finger at the execs at TDA, but it almost comes off like you are pointing the blame on us CM's caught in the middle of these things. For every ill conceived plan, show, attraction, or marketing plan, it always falls to we CM's to make the best of the bad situations for our guests. And we do appreciate you as our guest. We have the personal contact with you. I think that is where the problem really lies. Execs don't have that personal contact with most of you, and forget who they truly work for.

So please, show some "Aloha Spirit" and understand that the true "Disney Magic" is still there at the Resort. It's not found in the corporate marketing of the TDA suits, but in the smiles and personal contact that we CM's enjoy with you.:)

Gemini Cricket
11-14-2001, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by Hades
Obviously you are not Hawaiian! I beg to differ with your opinion, but "Aloha Spirit" does exist. You probably had too much of the "canned" kind from Waikiki.:D Next time you might want to get to know some real Hawaiians. Only then will you understand what "Aloha Spirit" is all about.;)

I'm a quarter Hawaiian. I was born and raised in O'ahu on the Windward Side. As a child, my Hawaiiana Kumu was Aunty Maiki Aiu Lake. My grandmother was full blooded and was a part of an all Hawaiian's women's court at the Iolani Palace.

Okay, here let me clarify myself.

People here are either nice or they're not. Period. When they are hospitable, it is not something that is special only to Hawaii. I've met nice, friendly people in Houston, Vancouver and London. The extent that someone is willing to go to for someone else is not based on where they are. It's based on who they are. Nice is nice. I believe that the "Aloha Spirit" was something coined by the travel industry to get people to come on over.

Negative things like high prices for things, non-existant overnight mail and not being able to accomplish things here that citizens on the mainland can are often seen as sacrifices one must give up for "living here in paradise." So to adhere to the Aloha Spirit, one must not complain too much...

I like to treat people as individuals. I have never blamed a CM for any bad experience I have had at DL/DCA. If they do a good job, it's because they are good people. I don't think "Disney Magic" is the explanation. I don't blame a CM because I feel DCA is lame, it goes much higher than a CM. CM's are in a tough position, because they are on the front line and are getting flack from both ends: from guests and management. I've worked in Customer Service for almost 15 years now. I understand.

I feel the execs at Disney are relying on the fact that guests will continue to put up with things that do wrong because the guests can't get that "Disney Magic" anywhere else. I don't think that's true any more. They're wearing us thin on it.

My friend Hades-
What I said was not meant to hurt anyone nor offend you. It was stated to make people think... My comment did need clarification, I agree. I hope I've done so...

Braddoc (DisneyLad)

BTW- How'd you make your post red. That's great!

Hades
11-14-2001, 04:02 PM
Eh, DisneyLad, get royalty in da family, no! Aloha Brudda! I'm quarter Hawaiian also! My father was born on the Island of Ni'ihau. I have Kanahele liniage on my grandmother's side also. It really is a "Small World After All" (I know, I know; bad pun! *GROAN*

Most of my family is on the Island of Kauai. Myself, and brother and sister were born on the Mainland after my parents moved to California in 1961. My cousin is a young kumu hula there. His name is Doric Yaris. He has a fantastic singing voice! He has one CD out. He is not a huge star, but his name is known out there. His son just recently took first place for ole and hula won a trip to perform at the next E Hula Mau event on Labor Day 2002. My nephew just started hula, and will have his first show this Saturday to raise money for his halau to compete in Merced next year. :)

Mahalo for your reply and clarification. I really appreciate it! Given the short comings of the internet, it is difficult at best to get the correct message out without knowing the true intent of any message posted. I respect your opinion fully.

As to how I got the red text, when you post, look for the vB code window above the Your Reply window. Click the arrow next to COLOR, select the color you want and a window will open up for you to type your message in the color you want. The same can be done for the size of your text or some of the styles of fonts. If the vB Code window is not available for you, you might want to edit your user profile to allow you to use it in your posts. You can also put up an Avatar as well! (like my incredible likeness :D )

Ray (aka Hades)

Lani
11-14-2001, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by DisneyLad
Like the "Aloha Spirit" in Hawaii. Same thing. It doesn't really exist, but they base a lot of things good and bad upon it and use it as an excuse for high costs, bad quality and cut backs. Eh watch it, DisneyLad. You no talk stink, li'dat. Get PLENNY kine aloha spirit in Hawaii, brah.

-- Lani, Pearl City High School class of 19[mumblemumble]

Gemini Cricket
11-14-2001, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by lani
Eh watch it, DisneyLad. You no talk stink, li'dat. Get PLENNY kine aloha spirit in Hawaii, brah.

-- Lani, Pearl City High School class of 19[mumblemumble]

Eh, I went live Aiea for tree yeahz. We wuz sked of da Pearl City High Skoo guyz. Nah, jes' joke, Lani! No make.

Eh, tiyad talk about Hawaii aready... I like move California already...:D