PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland By Myself

Pages : [1] 2

ESS Heckler
08-06-2004, 06:58 AM
We're taking a very last minute trip to Disneyland. In fact, I leave tomorrow (Saturday!) and I only made the plane and hotel reservations yesterday!

DBF and his 11 year old daughter will be joining me on Sunday, but airfares we're WAY cheaper for me with a Saturday departure. (DBF works for the airlines, so he and his daughter are flying free). We go back home Tuesday.

After going back and forth about a dozen times, I decided to stay at the PP Hotel. I tried to get reservations at DLH, but every time I went to confirm on-line, the rate would change! I ended up getting PP for $139/night which I didn't think was too bad for a last minute weekend reservation.

So, my question to all you MP'ers - what am I going to do with myself Saturday afternoon and evening?

rentayenta
08-06-2004, 07:27 AM
I would relax by the pool all day and drink margaritas and hang out with girlfriends because I am from So Cal.....

Rise early and go for a cappucino in DTD. Be to the park at opening and ride some of your favorites. Shop. Have some lunch. Shop. Head back to the PP and hang out by the pool. Shop. Go for drinks at one of the hotel bars, maybe an appetizer. Go back to DL for Fantasmic.

Darkbeer
08-06-2004, 07:33 AM
Why go back to the hotel..... DCA has the Cove Bar ;) Lobster Nachos or the Spinch and Artichoke Dip... YUM, plus a Martini.....

Dlandmom
08-06-2004, 07:37 AM
Why go back to the hotel..... DCA has the Cove Bar ;) Lobster Nachos or the Spinch and Artichoke Dip... YUM, plus a Martini.....
I am SO there!

TikiGeek
08-06-2004, 07:47 AM
I would spend a good deal of that time at Coca-Cola (a.k.a. Refreshment) Corner listening to the world's greatest ragtime piano player, The Great Rod Miller. :) (If he's there). Enjoy the people, enjoy the magic!

CoasterChickie
08-06-2004, 07:58 AM
Hi Kim-
Is this your first time at the PP? You can walk all around the hotel as well as the GC and DLH...the grounds are beautiful. You can work out at either of the gyms or go for a swim, go in the jacuzzi and take a nap. Walk all over Downtown Disney and shop till you drop. You don't even have to carry your packages...they'll send them back to the hotel for you! Other people have already suggested some good places to have drinks, appetizers and listen to music. Or if you're not into that you can catch a movie at the DD cinema.
If you have a 2 day park hopper, get a sneak preview of both parks and hop on a ride or two and watch Fantasmic or the fireworks. You'll have fun!!

P.S. You got a great rate for the weekend!

ESS Heckler
08-06-2004, 08:25 AM
Thanks you guys for all the great ideas!

This is not my first time at the PP. I'm a lapsed AP'er who usually likes to stay at the GC, but I couldn't justify the cost this trip! I haven't stayed at the PP since the renovations. I'm curious to see the pool improvements. I haven't stayed at DLH for 7 or 8 years, and was really trying to get reservations there!

Not too much of a shopper, but I LOVE the Cove Bar idea, and Rod Miller. This will be a perfect time to sit and listen to him play.

We've got 5 for the price of 3 day Park Hooper's, and will probably up-grade to an AP again, for the discounts.

Watching the fireworks from the PP pool with a cocktail sounds like a good idea, too.

I've never put a trip together like this so fast. Normally, I obsess over all the details for weeks. I usually plan out days and what we're going to do, and where we're going to eat. I spend days packing, afraid to forget anything 'important'. Now, I don't have time to obsess, just get on the plane and go! This is a new experience for me.

Woo Hoo - I'm on my way to the Happiest Place on Earth!

kameko
08-06-2004, 08:41 AM
good idea Darkbeer...

Lani
08-06-2004, 08:42 AM
Hey Kim -- make sure to read Shoshana Lewin's "Party of One: Going Solo at Disneyland (http://www.mouseplanet.com/lani/tp040713sl.htm)" article we just ran on July 13. She's got a lot of tips and ideas that might help you with your trip.

SCUBAbe
08-06-2004, 08:45 AM
I'm really looking forward to going to DL alone. I really want to take some pictures. Not snapshots like a normally do. Everone always rushes me....LOL...I did go somewhat alone for 4 days once for my work. It was a convention and only one person per area went, so we didn't know anybody at first. I liked to just walk around the grounds of the DL hotel. I caught the water show. It was a very nice relaxing way to spend the down time. That was before DTD though. Now I would go there also. I also liked to watch them work on DCA. they were just building it then and I had a view of the construction zone..:)...the other thing I did was draw in my room. I had my art finals do and they really needed to get done...LOL

dlandnut
08-06-2004, 09:13 AM
A few years ago I went with our local marching band as a chaperone to 185 teenagers. The busses let us out at Disneyland, DCA was under construction. Of course we split up and the "little darlings" were on their own for the day. It gave me plenty of free time to spend alone. I rode a shuttle over to the Disneyland Hotel to see the construction (including Downtown Disney). I ate lunch by myself at the Blue Bayou (next to the water). I spent the day enjoying Disneyland under no pressure, seeing our "kids" throughout the day, yet being on my own. It was one of the most enjoyable times that I have had at Disneyland. When the family goes, it is always as a group, so this was a different way of doing things for me. I loved it! Enjoy your trip, and post your experience(s) when you return!

ESS Heckler
08-06-2004, 09:14 AM
Thanks Lani for that link. It's a great article.

I don't have a problem meeting people and making friends in line. I don't think I'd take a book.

This should be fun. Single RIder Line for Soarin' is a wonderful idea.

Wendi
08-06-2004, 10:18 AM
You are gonna love single rider... you'll get on the rides so fast!!! Be sure to ask CMs about it when entering ride queues.

rentayenta
08-06-2004, 01:15 PM

I didn't know that DCA had a bar. Cool!

I am so jealous that you get to have a whole day by yourself at Disneyland/DCA. Have a drink for me while watching the fireworks.

blusilva
08-06-2004, 05:41 PM
If you go into Disneyland proper, don't forget to go on the Mark Twain or Columbia. To me, those are best ridden alone - you don't have to worry about losing anyone on a crowded deck, so you can move freely around the ships to see all sorts of different things!

Have fun!

Opus1guy
08-06-2004, 09:20 PM
Don't worry. You should have about 56,000 people to keep you company. ;)

Susan L
08-07-2004, 11:57 AM
I would go to DL and ride as many rides as I could. I have always wanted to try going by myself at least for one day.

CarlieB
08-08-2004, 01:23 PM
Lat time I was at DL I had 2 or 3 hours by myself while the rest of my group went to a movie. It was great! I hung out in DTD, browsing in the stores and then went to the Uva Bar for a drink. I ended up meeting another person who was there by herself and we had a great time talking & swapping stories:)

Tutter
08-08-2004, 03:00 PM
I am very tempted to visit DCA this next visit in September by myself. I have my partner to go with to Disneyland Park but work will mean he will not be able to do two days at Disneyland Resort.

Last visit I did lots of day trips all over, but never dared to go back to Disneyland myself, (even tho I was tempted) I don't know why - I suppose I am scared I will look at little sad. But after having read about some of you doing it - I just might build up the courage.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
08-28-2004, 12:28 PM
I would LOVE to do DL park by myself. I remember going when I was 5 months PG with our first son and because of my condition everyone went on rides etc and I shopped, ate, even road POTC all by myself. It was my thrill ride for that trip hehe. It was fun to not have to ask anyone else where they wanted to go or do.

sdfilmcritic
08-31-2004, 12:58 AM
Going solo is so relaxing!!! I get so much junk from my friends and family about going so often by myself. But, what do I care? I finally converted my mom to an AP status last Sunday. Maybe we can turn this in to a religious cult. J/K people!

rakkwhite
08-31-2004, 04:46 PM

I've looked on the Disney web site and I can't find where this is located. Please fill me in!

must. have. lobster. nachos. now! :D

cstephens
09-01-2004, 01:05 AM
I've looked on the Disney web site and I can't find where this is located. Please fill me in!

must. have. lobster. nachos. now! :D

The Cove Bar is the area above Ariel's Grotto dining in the Paradise Pier section of DCA. It's been a while since we've been there, but while we thought the nachos themselves were great, the lobster was just ok.

Mukta
09-01-2004, 07:47 AM
What did you end up doing that day Kimkinney?

I go to the DL resort by myself a couple of times a week. I used to feel self-concious, but I figure that people are there having a good time and probably not looking at me at all. Last night the parking CM's were teasing me (good naturedly) about being by myself. I never thought I was the only one doing it, but they were pretty surprised to hear that I was by myself.
"Do you actually go on rides by yourself?"
I can't be the only one going alone am I?

ESS Heckler
09-01-2004, 09:50 AM
I had a great time at Disneyland and DCA by myself. My plane was delayed and delayed and delayed some more, so I didn't get in to the PP until after 6:00. There was a huge line to check in, and then a problem with the Expedia Vouchers for our park passes - but it was all worked out.

I took Dark Beers advice and wandered over to the Cove Bar at DCA and ordered the Lobster Nachos (by this time it was late and I was really hungry) While I was waiting for my order and enjoying a cocktail, I struck up a conversation with another lady sitting at the bar, also by herself. She was a 'local' and was waiting to meet some out of town guests. I invited her to share my nachos, and after a little cajoling on my part, she joined me. I have never ordered the Lobster Nachos before, and boy was I glad that I had invited this lady to join me - they were huge! (aparently the Saturday night soux chef is excellent and does a wonderful job on nachos - other days of the week when he's not working, not so grand, but I digress). We had another cocktail and watched the lights on the lake in DCA, it was really nice. We had a great conversation.

After exchanging e:mail addresses, we went our separate ways. I went to watch the ELP, a childhood favorite. I love to heckle Cinderella's wicked step-sisters. Those CM's always seem to enjoy a good ribbing, and can usually dish it right back!

Since I was alone, it was easy to manuever past the crowds and get over to DL in time for the fireworks. I found a great spot rightin front of the Castle. After the fireworks, I wandered over to Splash and into the single rider line - with Fantsmic going on and the single rider line, there was hardly a wait! I rode Pirates and the Jungle cruise, also favorites, before deciding to call it a night.

The next morning I got up and had my favorite breakfast in my favorite spot, on the patio at the River Belle. I listened to the band and the Barber Shop Quartet. I generally relaxed and enjoyed the Happiest Place on Earth. I wandered over to DCA and made found out about a wine tasting time at the Vineyard.

Then it was time to get in the car and go to the airport to pick-up the DBF and his daughter.

All in all I had a great time at Disneyland By MySelf, and since I bought an AP while I was there, I just may do it again soon ! (Depending on airfares, etc!)