PDA

View Full Version : It is a pity

Pages : [1] 2

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
08-04-2004, 01:35 PM
So many people feel that Disneyland closing rides to do annual refurbishments etc, is ruining their trip and they should get compensated for it. But yet then there are those that complain that the rides need paint, lightbulbs need to be replaced. DL can't win! They close the rides to fix them up, they keep them open, someone complains!
I for one go for the magic. From what I have read lately, I am in the minority!

Disney Vault
08-04-2004, 01:40 PM
I agree 100% With you. I want DL to look nice for the 50th.

Arnie
08-04-2004, 02:51 PM
I think people want the park to look nice, but the Aper's and Disney enthusiast need to remember that not everyone can go several times a year or every year. (As a child we went at least once a year if not 2 or 3 times a year. I haven't been in 2-1/2 years) So it is not like the can say oh we will just go on Matterhorn next month when they finish the refurb. Or we will take our castle picture next spring when we come down again.

I will be going down to DL in September and the thing that bugs me the most is that the castle is going to be covered up. We are taking my 2 year old daughter for her first trip(Unless you count riding along in mom's belly), if we waited till the 50th like most Aper's suggest she would not get in for free, thus costing us more money, and it is just not simply that easy for some people to cancel their vacation plans. I don't mind some of the ride closeures because she can not ride them yet, but it would be nice for the adults to be able to enjoy them. Yes there is plenty of other things for us to do. I won't be looking for compensation because we got a really good deal on hotel and tickets, but I can understand why some people feel they are not getting their money's worth.

When booking plans we were aware of the rides going under refurbishment and decided there is still plenty to do. But I am a little suprised at how many of the major attractions will be closed or have reduced capacity:

Space closed
Matterhorn closed
Big Thunder Closed
Haunted Mansion Closed (Holiday install)
Tiki Room Closed
Columbia Closed
Star Tours Reduced to 3 cabins
Castle Closed and Covered in big blue tarps(maybe they will come down by then :rolleyes: )

Those are some of the major attractions that people go to see, for thrill rides based upon the disney website this leaves:

Astro Orbiter (might as well include Dumbo too)
Indian Jones
Pirates
Splash
Star Tours with 3/4 ride capacity

So nearly half of their Thrill attractions at DL are closed.

I am glad that they are fixing up the park, I just wish it wasn't happening while I am there. The castle being covered up will take away some of the magic for us, the rides not so much because there will be plenty of other attractions and shows to see. Plus DCA looks like it will have all it's rides open and operating. Anyways thats my take on it. :D

mystycalchyk
08-04-2004, 02:58 PM
Exactly.

For me not having the 'rides' is less of a problem than the castle.

When are you goin in September Arnie? We are going the last weekend.

I am hoping beyond all hopes that the castle will be uncovered.

Arnie
08-04-2004, 03:23 PM
We are going on the 9th-12. We are arriving late thursday and will be in the park all day on the Friday and Saturday with a half day or so on Sunday. We are staying at the Disneyland Hotel and have 3-day Park Hopper passes.

I hope the delay the matterhorn refurb a few days, my daughter will be tall enough to ride, but i don't think we would take her on it because it is pretty rough. We would try Gadgets Go Coaster first.

I hope too that the castle is at least untarped, I don't mind not walking through it but would like to use it as a backdrop for photos. I also hope they have Snow Whites Grotto fixed by then, my family has always ended our trips there tossing a coin into the well.

mystycalchyk
08-04-2004, 03:28 PM
Yeah I care not to walk through it...just to be able to see it ;)

The Matterhorn is actually not as rough as it once was. After the last refurb they smoothed out the tracks, you may be surprised. I hope its still open for you as well.

We are going the 24th to the 27th. NOT staying at the Disneyland Hotel (although I am still going to try for there...they told me to wait will we were closer to 30 days out to book to find out what discounts may be available)

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
08-04-2004, 03:46 PM
I have to totally agree the Castle stinks that it is like that.
I am an APer although we go 2 times a year, not monthly or weekly like some.
I understand your frustration. But then it wouldn't matter when the rides were closed, it would make someone unhappy because someone would be going then and be disappointed.
As far as BTMRR, I hate to even see that on the list of rides being closed, as it makes it seem it was in Disney's plan. Just keep hoping it will reopen while you are there.
We just have to understand that this year, being right before the 50th is a non-typical year, things are being done that aren't normally done, Space has never been closed for this long before.

Disney Vault
08-04-2004, 06:17 PM
I hope they find a coding error in BTM so that we know what the problem was and it can easily be fixed.

cheshire cat
08-05-2004, 11:19 AM
I think they should lower their prices or something to compensate for all the ride closures. It doesn't make sense to charge full price when half the attractions are down.

shalisat
08-05-2004, 11:40 AM
I understand frustration in rides being closed, however...Disney does a very good job of letting people know in advance what will be closed when and for how long. If a person is planning a trip and wants to see it all, they should take this into account. Sure, it is less expensive to go in the fall as far as travel arrangements go, but if one is looking for all the bells and whistles, just wait a little while longer and one will get to see the castle. People want to be compensated, but no one is putting a gun to your head and MAKING you go to Disneyland. If you feel you aren't getting your money's worth, then don't go during that time. For me, I'm also going in September. I haven't been to Disneyland for 10 years, and am looking forward to it and enjoying what there is to enjoy. What's not available simply is not available. I knew ahead of time what would not be open and I started making arrangements in May. As a sidenote, people think that they should at least pay less for their passes...well you are. Disney has their hopper passes with a discount if you buy them in advance. You save yourself 55 dollars if you buy the 5 day pass, and I would assume that this is your compensation.

mystycalchyk
08-05-2004, 12:09 PM
[snip]
Disney does a very good job of letting people know in advance what will be closed when and for how long. If a person is planning a trip and wants to see it all, they should take this into account.
[snip]
I knew ahead of time what would not be open and I started making arrangements in May.

Im not trying to be argumentative here. But I would love for you or anyone to please show me where Disney let me know in advance that the castle was going to be covered completely by blue tarps? I have been planning this trip since January....and actually making reservations, buying tickets and such by June. I didnt choose September because it was cheaper, I chose September because I wanted it to still be somewhat warm so the kids could play in the water-ey type things, but not be so scorching hot as I figured July would be. I chose September because we get an extra paycheck in September so we could actually afford to go. I chose September because I needed to have some time to be able to save some money for the things we have to pay for in advance (i.e plane tickets).
No where (NO WHERE!!) has Disney told me that the castle is impossible to see because it is draped with huge ugly blue tarps.
I knew about certain things being closed due to refurbs (i.e., Space Mountain, Tiki Room, Haunted Mansion etc.) and even though I would have loved to have taken them to see the Tiki Room, I made an informed decision, and decided the kids would be more enraptured with Fantasyland and Mickeys Toontown anyway so I got over it.

Disney did not nor have they ever posted anything about the castle in its current state. If you go to the website TODAY, it does not say anything about the castle.

rentayenta
08-05-2004, 12:16 PM
No where (NO WHERE!!) has Disney told me that the castle is impossible to see because it is draped with huge ugly blue tarps.
I knew about certain things being closed due to refurbs (i.e., Space Mountain, Tiki Room, Haunted Mansion etc.) and even though I would have loved to have taken them to see the Tiki Room, I made an informed decision, and decided the kids would be more enraptured with Fantasyland and Mickeys Toontown anyway so I got over it.

Disney did not nor have they ever posted anything about the castle in its current state. If you go to the website TODAY, it does not say anything about the castle.

That's the point exactly, they didn't tell you and I think there should be some compensation. I don't know what or how they would distribute it but there should be a perk for those who planned their trips without being told the whole story. We skipped our plans for this summer as soon as I heard the castle was being refurbed. I am greatful that we didn't get APs this year.

I can totally empathize with those who feel that they were duped.

TP2000
08-05-2004, 12:29 PM
I think they should lower their prices or something to compensate for all the ride closures. It doesn't make sense to charge full price when half the attractions are down.

They've been charging full price for half a theme park since 2001, so why would they need to discount Disneyland just because six of the 40 attractions they have are closed. ;-)

It seems as though Disney just can't win. People want a perfect, freshly painted, immaculately maintained, classic Disneyland experience worthy of a Wonderful World of Color episode; but if that means there's some ride closures or some paint tarps up during the four days out of the year they will be there then Disney owes them "compensation".

I've said this before, but I really do think all concerns related to the deferred maintenance of the last several years and the sudden need to play "catch up" during the 15 months before the 50th starts should be sent to Cynthia Harriss. Write her and ask why things weren't painted and maintained under her five year watch as President;

Ms. Cynthia Harriss
Gap Inc. Headquarters
Two Folsom Street
San Francisco, CA

That is the person directly responsible for this years need for Disneyland's Extreme Makeover.

mystycalchyk
08-05-2004, 12:41 PM
I have never said I wanted compensation. I just would have liked to have known so I could have made an informed decision with all the facts on the table, and said "Forget the September thing, let's take them with us next year instead"

DisneyDustin22
08-05-2004, 12:50 PM

smd4
08-05-2004, 12:52 PM
And then next year you would be upset if Small World was down, or that the Columbia wasn't open, or that Mr. Toad was under rehab.

I don't think I've EVER been to the park when absolutely 100% of every attraction, eating area and show was open. And Disney never informed me about any of them, so that I could have made an "informed" decision.

Before the interenet, we used to find out about these things at the ticket window: The typical reaction: "Aww, man, Splash is closed!" Oh well, at least Big Thunder is still open. We're at Disneyland! Hooray!"

You have 435 posts over the past 2 years. You are clearly an educated fan, and as such, I'm sure you realize closures like this happen ALL THE TIME without so much as a peep.

The castle's covered this time. Next year it will be something else. Please try to enjoy your trip.

Now, Disney has to deal with people with these types of "opinions:"
They didn't tell you and I think there should be some compensation. I don't know what or how they would distribute it but there should be a perk for those who planned their trips without being told the whole story...I can totally empathize with those who feel that they were duped. Duped!! Disney "dupes" people by performing maintenance?! You have got to be kidding me. And they should compensate those who have been "duped?! Since when does Disneyland owe anyone any kind of an explanation for their maintenance prodcedures? I really, really hate this kind of "Disneyland owes me" attitide by its supposed "fans." I've got news for you: Disneyland isn't responsible for your happiness, YOU ARE. And they shouldn't be expected to pay if you aren't. :rolleyes:

mystycalchyk
08-05-2004, 01:14 PM
And then next year you would be upset if Small World was down, or that the Columbia wasn't open, or that Mr. Toad was under rehab

No you're very wrong. I am going at a time when there are A LOT of closures. Closures that were properly posted on the website. I still chose to accept those closures. Please find one post I have made that shows me whining about any 'rides' being closed for refurb and that I am ticked?

I am beating a dead horse about one thing and one thing only.
The castle is an atrocity.
And I had no clue till I saw the photos posted here.
And I feel that the official Disneyland website should tell people if they are going to do something so drastic as take the main focal point for most visitors...the one thing that clearly signifies and expresses Disneyland, and cover it completely over with tarps.

Its simple...I have not asked for compensation, I have not talked about closures for attractions that I knew were going to be refurbed...I just feel a great diservice is being done for people who dont know to come here and find these thigns out.

And again for what I feel is the millionth time. If it were just my husband and I , I wouldnt even be bothered that much. Its the fact that we are taking our niece and nephew for their first ever experience, that it makes me sad.

smd4
08-05-2004, 01:23 PM
Atrocity? The castle being rehabbed is "wicked, brutal, cruel, utterly revolting, barbaric? A bit of hyperbole, I think.

If you go to Disneyland just to gaze upon the castle, let me tell you, you're missing a lot.

You know, Main Street has always been MY favorite area, and signifies the park to me more than the castle. Of course, there are many times when entire blocks have been encased behind tarps and plywood. It was an eyesore, and not what I would have prefered, but I was glad that the work was being done. It's a shame some folks can't see the forest for the trees on this one...Be thankful the work is being performed now, so that through the years, your neice and nephew won't have to see some of the things we've all seen these past few years.

Maintenance GOOD; collapsed castle BAD. :confused:

rentayenta
08-05-2004, 01:34 PM
Now, Disney has to deal with people with these types of "opinions:" Duped!! Disney "dupes" people by performing maintenance?! You have got to be kidding me. And they should compensate those who have been "duped?! Since when does Disneyland owe anyone any kind of an explanation for their maintenance prodcedures? I really, really hate this kind of "Disneyland owes me" attitide by its supposed "fans." I've got news for you: Disneyland isn't responsible for your happiness, YOU ARE. And they shouldn't be expected to pay if you aren't. :rolleyes:

I realize that I am responsible for my happiness hence not visiting while the castle is tarped and not having an AP this year. There is nothing wrong with thinking that the DL site should have informed the guests that the castle is being refurbed. I didn't say DL owes *me* anything. I made my decisions and am fine with them. I was showing a little empathy for those upset because they didn't get the whole story.

Have a nice day.

mystycalchyk
08-05-2004, 01:38 PM
This is really getting ridiculous.

I never said I go to Disneyland simply to gaze at the castle all the livelong day. :rolleyes: For me personally, NOS is my favorite part of the park. And of course I know that refurbs must be done, and I appreciate the fact that they are doing them, I just wished I had known (like I did for the other refurbs, and still chose to book) so that I might have reconsidered going at this time, knowing how important this one piece of Disneyland will be to one little girl.

I dont get why this is so hard to understand.
So, I will say it again. Slowly.

I am taking my niece

She is 8 years old

She has never been

She has a toy replica of the castle at her house and loves it

She loves the princesses and wants to see them in thier home

To an average 8 year old, all princesses live in *gasp* a castle.

When we get there, she will be looking at a giant smurfberry blob where she KNOWS the castle is supposed to be since she has seen photos, not to mention the Disneyland vacation video she watches over and over.

Im sure she will be disapointed, and that makes me sad. Because I love this little girl dearly and her brother, and we (my husband and I) are giddy with the thought of taking them

Will we still have a good time? Of course. But I simply wanted to help fulfill a little girls dream. So my husband and I, knowing her own mother would never take her (and her little brother) to Disneyland, a place they talk about incessantly...decided to save our little coins and take them and share a piece of the magic of a place we love beyond all reason. And it saddens me to know that, for her, the one thing she has wanted to see for years, will be inaccesable to her.

Am I speaking greek here?

*checks self for greek hardware installed into typing drive*

soccerlady16
08-05-2004, 01:49 PM
I don't mind at all that Dl is being refurbished, the park needs it, its going to look great for the 50th. I don't think people should be compt. since no one is forcing them to go to DL. Disneyland should have been considerate and let the public know at least a year head of all the refurbs going on. That way people can decide for themselves if they still want to plan their trip during this time.

sediment
08-05-2004, 01:57 PM
Well, mysty, you get to practice your magic-making skills. How will you explain it to her?
We can help. Here's my suggestion:
1. "They're making it pretty for next year, because it will be 50 years old next July. 50! Can you believe that?"

Anyone else want to help?

I'd also start steering conversations about the Castle in other directions. Or, put a blue tarp on her castle, and see if she likes it. Maybe have a fun day of cleaning up the castle, so it looks nice for its 50th.

MrJims
08-05-2004, 02:04 PM
The refurbishment fact is not the issue. Rides and buildings MUST be maintained if the park is to last another 50 years. But at the very least, the OFFICIAL DL Website could of made mention about the castle going under refurbs. They tell you of rides, but nothing about buildings.

I don't have kids, but if I did, and I was bringing them to DL for the first time (especially little girls who are fans of princesses), I would be extremely upset and heart broken to see to look on their faces when we get there.

Noone wants compensation...we just want to know what's going on in the "happiest place on earth" before we plan a trip to go there. I only recently discovered this website and chat (mouseplanet), and in past years, I've always used travel agents and the OFFICIAL DL website for the latest news before I book, and every year it's been bang on accurate. It seems like they got flustered by the 50th preparations, that they forgot to mention to travel agents and their webmaster to list their full plans for the 49th year. When I booked my trip to DL for this September in May, I checked both travel agencies and their website, and was not told one thing about any building closures.

rentayenta
08-05-2004, 02:06 PM
That's a good idea Sediment.

Maybe you could buy her a replica. I've seen toy castles at the World of Disney store and at the shop right out of IASW.

mystycalchyk
08-05-2004, 02:07 PM
Well, mysty, you get to practice your magic-making skills. How will you explain it to her?
We can help. Here's my suggestion:
1. "They're making it pretty for next year, because it will be 50 years old next July. 50! Can you believe that?"

*sigh*

And if I can afford to take them again next year then great! But I cant say I can afford to take them. My husband and I are not wealthy people. We are planning a trip next year, but to add two more flights, two more tickets and food for two more people, not to mention fun money for two more...well it gets a little tough.

So in essence I would be saying to her

"look sweetie, they're making it pretty for next year because theyre having a big celebration....but uhmm...no...sorry....you cant see it"

shes a child. thats like giving a child a gift, a gift they know what it is, because they can tell by the feel of the wrapping paper and the shape, but saying no they cant open it.