PDA

View Full Version : Why no Fastpass for Matterhorn?

Pages : [1] 2

jasonpbyu
08-04-2004, 12:48 PM
Seems weird that one of the main attractions would not have a fast pass. I was last at Disneyland in October of 2001, at the time, Matterhorn was closed, CM's told us they were adding fast pass line to it, but it appears that was wrong.

anyone?

Disney Vault
08-04-2004, 01:03 PM
I think i heard they couldnt wire a fast pass machine in the area and i personally like having one main ride that doesnt have FP.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
08-04-2004, 01:10 PM
Someone said that they have to many rides on the one fastpass sytem that is in that area. Not sure how it all works.

splashmtngurl
08-04-2004, 01:48 PM
Also, Disney's attendance rate has dropped immensly and its very possible that matterhorn just wasnt getting enough vistors to require a fast pass.....who knows.

Pilot Mickey
08-04-2004, 03:42 PM
wasn't getting enough visiters? the matterhorn's line is always at one time or another durring the day all the back to the other side, i think. But even though it's long it moves fast, maybe that's why? don't know though.

sediment
08-04-2004, 03:47 PM
It might not be logistically possible. FastPass would require the queuing for non-FastPassers outside the current queueing area. Logjams could be foreseen during parades.

Pilot Mickey
08-04-2004, 03:59 PM
you could put a fastpass entrance at the place where the line meets the building, tis just reminded me of a funny story, in my last visit the guy running the mic. in the matterhorn, kept doing impersonations of people one was arnorld, they wern't very good, but it was funny to hear him try, he was having like a mock interview with himself. :p

stan4d_steph
08-04-2004, 04:53 PM
It might not be logistically possible. FastPass would require the queuing for non-FastPassers outside the current queueing area. Logjams could be foreseen during parades. This is a plausible reason. It also might have been too expensive to link it into the current system when they were looking at the cost. The cost/benefit might have been too high to make it worth installing.

Disneyfreak
08-04-2004, 10:00 PM
Why no Fastpass for Matterhorn?

Because Fastpass Sucks. :~D

SpacedOutCM
08-04-2004, 10:48 PM
wasn't getting enough visiters? the matterhorn's line is always at one time or another durring the day all the back to the other side, i think. But even though it's long it moves fast, maybe that's why? don't know though.

When both of the lines meet at the other side of the mountain, it's about a 30 minute wait. People would think that the line is about an hour or two but when we would tell them that it's about a 30 minute wait the most common response is "But the line goes on the other side of the mountain!!"

Sometimes the wait might be a little longer but that's because there is something holding the sleds up in the station. It could be slow guests getting in/out of the bobsled or other things...like mass confusion.

DisneyDustin22
08-05-2004, 12:41 PM
When both of the lines meet at the other side of the mountain, it's about a 30 minute wait. People would think that the line is about an hour or two but when we would tell them that it's about a 30 minute wait the most common response is "But the line goes on the other side of the mountain!!"

Sometimes the wait might be a little longer but that's because there is something holding the sleds up in the station. It could be slow guests getting in/out of the bobsled or other things...like mass confusion.

I agree, i dont see how adding fastpass to matterhorn will solve anything. I am there countless times and it is rare that the line is starting over on the tomorrowland side of teh mountiain. Usually for both side the line ends around the mid side of each, Alice for FL side and Subs for TL side. The line may look long, but like you said, it is decieving. 30min at most is the wait. That is not bad at all. One advantage I like to standing in the TL side, you can hop out of line to grab a slurpie or snack :D and jump back in line, providing someone saves your spot. but seriously people, do u really need more fastpass? youre going to spend that 30 min anyway walking up, gettin a FP, then walking to another attraction and having to walk back to meet your FP time. just stand in the line already!

Polar33
08-05-2004, 02:01 PM
I agree. In addition to the logistics that would have to be worked out with the queueing, machine placement, and already having too many FastPass attractions, the standby wait time rarely ever warrents need for FastPass.

Right now, aside from Gadget's Go-Coaster, the Matterhorn is the only roller coaster that is open in the park, and I have yet to see the line even reach the sign that states "35 min. from this point".

The only reason that the Matterhorn needs FastPass is that everybody expects it to have it, regardless that the line moves fast. Much like Mansion, Pirates and Star Tours, Matterhorn dosn't need FastPass.

Pedro2NR
08-05-2004, 09:38 PM
Matterhorn does well without a FP. Lines always seem long but it goes through quickly. Haunted Mansion has been doing well without a FP. Everytime I passed by there was hardly a line. The max I seen the wait was 10 min.

Thomas
08-05-2004, 09:58 PM
Why no Fastpass for Matterhorn?

Because Fastpass Sucks. :~D

Agreed!!!!!!!! I can't wait until they get rid of it on all the rides.

CoasterChickie
08-05-2004, 10:05 PM
I One advantage I like to standing in the TL side, you can hop out of line to grab a slurpie or snack :D and jump back in line, providing someone saves your spot.

Or if it's night time, you can jump out of line , run over to the Buzz Lightyear Stage and dance to two or three songs, then run back and get in line :fez:

BriarRose
08-05-2004, 10:10 PM
It always seemed to me that the line went pretty fast once you got in it.

screamin4ever
08-06-2004, 09:18 AM
It always seemed to me that the line went pretty fast once you got in it.

Just like almost all big rides at Disneyland. That's exactly why FastPass should be ripped out altogether. The lines keep moving unlike Six Flags or Knott's where low ride capaciity creates the long waits. At Disneyland it is the volume of people that creates the waits on busy days.

Before FastPass people had to chose which rides to skip because of the waits. With FastPass you either got to the park early to get a piece of paper or faced the stearage line that was way too long of a wait. There was no equal choice. The early birds vacuumed up the short waits and folks arrivig at 1:00 were out of luck. Of course the smiling FP holders, usually with their AP's on a lanyard, walking like they owned the place, snubbed you as they glided by because they had multiple FP's because they knew how to work the system. I hate FastPass. Death to FastPass!

Not that I feel strongly about this. (One eye twitching)

Lilo
08-06-2004, 10:42 AM
I agree with FastPass when it comes to something like HMH, Splash Mountain, or Indiana Jones. Some people really should get FastPasses for those. Why? Because when those crowded, over-an-hour-or-so lines extend outside the ride ques, it is nearly impossible to get by them and the crowd congestion created is rather annoying. Also, for summer or winter one-time visitors who only have one or two days to ride/see everything, FastPass can be very helpful and allows them to be able to relax a little more knowing they are going to get everything done.

As for something like Matterhorn, Pirates, or Star Tours, with a contained line, the standby time can still be frustrating but mostly because it is easy to get use to short FastPass lines. If this is the case for someone, then they should take a break from FastPasses and go wait in a really, really long line lol. That makes every other line seem quicker. Anyway, in my opinion, if you go to a theme park and do not have to wait in any long lines, you are definitely missing the purpose. :cool: By the way, I was in the park the last couple days and both of Matterhorn's lines were insane every time we passed by. We decided just to go on it anyway once it cooled off a bit. We waited 40 minutes the first time (the sign did say 35 minutes from this point) and a half hour the second time (the sign said 30 minutes from this point). Nontheless, I enjoyed both rides as much as always and did not regret waiting in line one bit...especially since the lines got even longer after we got off. :D

Merm8fan
08-06-2004, 10:55 AM
The line for the Matterhorn used to take longer (or maybe I was just younger and less patient) perhaps due to the number of brief stoppages that would occur. It seemed like it was always breaking down, and it was just par for the course to wait it out, as they usually got it going again fairly quickly.

Now, it is one of the best-moving lines in the park. It definitely does not need, nor would it profit from, a FP system.

(Last Friday afternoon, without the use of any FP machines, both POTC and HM had "walk-on" lines. HM, we went straight into the elevator. POTC, we walked directly in to the interior ramped walkway just before the loading area. The lines were much longer on other visits while the FP machines were in use.)

GrumpyUTboi
08-06-2004, 11:18 AM
I do not like FP Sam I am, every time I see one of those lazy people get a FP I want to kick them in the shins. To me as I have watched the FP people walk on by they have a smirk on their face that needs to be wiped off. For those people that only have on or two days at DL all I have to say is TOO BAD. Make more time for the magic DL. I'm glad that they are getting rid of FP.

Just how I feel. :mad:

stan4d_steph
08-06-2004, 11:37 AM
I do not like FP Sam I am, every time I see one of those lazy people get a FP I want to kick them in the shins. To me as I have watched the FP people walk on by they have a smirk on their face that needs to be wiped off. For those people that only have on or two days at DL all I have to say is TOO BAD. Make more time for the magic DL. I'm glad that they are getting rid of FP. That's pretty hostile. I hope you don't ever act on your feelings.

I think people who get FP are the opposite of lazy. They're people who do their homework and take advantage of all the park has to offer. I'm glad that day guests are able to experience more of the park in a single trip. I also don't believe that FP is going away totally. Getting rid of it for rides that really don't need it is something different than completely ending it.

I didn't realize the magic of Disney was waiting in long lines.

Lilo
08-06-2004, 12:16 PM
Not everyone can afford more than two days at Disneyland, Grumpy. Nor should they have to since most, if not all, attractions can be done in two days or even one off-season day.

As for where the magic lies, it is definitely not all in the lines...just partially. Perhaps Matterhorn was a bad example, but something with a really neat que like Star Wars or Indiana Jones can be magical. I waited in a long FP line for Indie with some friends and we had just as much fun in line as we did on the ride! (Okay, okay, okay, bad examples, too, since those both have FPs, but you guys get my point.)

I wasn't even aware they were taking FPs out. I may not want many more FP additions, but during peak-season, I'm FP-dependent on the major rides.

GrumpyUTboi
08-06-2004, 12:26 PM
Of course I would never act upon it and kick someone in the shin. It is kind of like when you have been waiting in traffic for quite some time and you see someone driving in the emergency lane just to get ahead of others. Kind of makes a person mad and to me it is the same with FP lines. ESPECIALLY when we had been in line for 30-45 minutes and then all of a sudden BOOM! No one is moving because of the FP line. As for my family and I we will join the throng of FPers in OCT when and where available, and we will probably have that stupid smirk on our faces as we pass everybody. :~D

Steve

BigAlH
08-06-2004, 12:30 PM
I do not like FP Sam I am, every time I see one of those lazy people get a FP I want to kick them in the shins.

You make it sound like this is some exclusive club and you don't belong. Everyone can get a Fastpass. If you decide to have a personal ban on them and want to wait in lines there's no reason to be hostile towards those that don't.

It's kind of like the people that buy a house at the end of an airport runway then try to get the airport shutdown.

If FP exists why wouldn't you take advantage of it? And more importantly why would anyone get upset with someone else using it? The FP folks tend to be more "on the run" than those not using it - so sit back and laugh as they run all over the place while you relax in line.

-al

pisces
08-06-2004, 01:17 PM
"I do not like FP Sam I am, every time I see one of those lazy people get a FP I want to kick them in the shins. To me as I have watched the FP people walk on by they have a smirk on their face that needs to be wiped off. For those people that only have on or two days at DL all I have to say is TOO BAD. Make more time for the magic DL."-----Grumpy

Well Grumpy, I've scheduled 7 days at Disney in December. I hope you approve.

I'm not wild about becoming dependent on Fast Pass, and my whole trip hinge on whether I can manage to obtain the coveted Fast Passes or not. However, since I'm going at the most crowded week of the year, I'll probably have no choice, but to utilize the system.

Still, it concerns me to think that if everybody has been standing in line for hours, and I waltz right through..... it's going to cause bad feelings on the part of those waiting.

Who wants the bad karma of dirty looks, scowls, and curses on the part of the people in line?

I'm not sure what the solution is.