PDA

View Full Version : WDW vs. Disneyland ride closures

snappy
08-04-2004, 09:01 AM
Is it me or does it appear that Disneyland suffers from more ride closures than Disneyworld? I assume Disneyworld has a larger budget, but I would hope Disneyland would be top priority considering Walt actually saw its completion. (Dreaming, right?) What are your views?

mamatojon
08-04-2004, 09:43 AM
I thought the same thing when we went to WDW last year. Practically nothing was closed and it was February, prime time for refurbs I would think. The only guess I had (other than money and WDW's probable larger budget) was that I noticed that even in the busy seasons the parks are not open any more than about 12-13 hours - less wear and tear maybe? It also seemed like there were just less people in any given park than at DL - I know it was Feb but I've been to DL in Feb too, it just seems more crowded at DL. Maybe that was all just my perception though since the place is enormous! :D I'll be interested to hear any other theories or opinions! :)

sediment
08-04-2004, 09:45 AM
WDW has off-seasons as well. (That doesn't explain the, "Everything was open in February" remark.)
WDW has more paying customers to satisfy, so they can word-of-mouth the place and bring more paying customers. Keeping everything in top condition is a rule, not an exception. Ounce of prevention, etc.
WDW did not have terrible senior management for the past eight years.

mamatojon
08-04-2004, 09:57 AM
WDW has off-seasons as well. (That doesn't explain the, "Everything was open in February" remark.)

Well, not "everything", but it sure didn't seem like my upcoming trip to DL. :crying:

I just realized that WDW's peak season starts mid Feb, right at Pres. weekend. I was there right before so they probably had the place all spiffed up for the holiday crowds. I think you are dead on sediment, especially about DL terrible senior management.

sami869
08-04-2004, 10:59 AM
Sure disneyland has a ton of more closures right now but that is because they are getting things ready for the 50th anniversary. I've only been to disneyworld once so I don't know if on a "normal" year they have less closure. Since there are so many more parks and rides there one would think that they would have more closures.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
08-04-2004, 01:34 PM
It may seem like they have more because frankly they have less rides. But I agree, everything is gettins spruced up for the 50th.

FoodLover
08-04-2004, 10:29 PM
Mainly it's because Disneyland is almost 50 years old, while Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom is only 33 years old... and the other parks at WDW are even younger.

More wear and tear, and older technology at Disneyland. More stuff breaks!

Mary
MouseSavers.com